Premier Sponsor:

climber_girl

Nov 18, 2001, 7:16 PM
Post #1 of 15 (7046 views)
Shortcut

I need Ideas for a Science Fair!!
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey everybody! Well I have one question, At school I am doing a science fair and it can be on anything so iI was wondering if any of you had ideas for one that has somehting to do with climbing. I really want to do somethign on climbing but can;t think of anything that would be interesting. Also I am doing a heritage fair about canada, and i was thinking on doing the history of the rockie mountains. Do you people think that it would be a good idea! I need you 2 cents!

Brittany

awkward

Nov 18, 2001, 7:23 PM
Post #2 of 15 (7046 views)
Shortcut

I need Ideas for a Science Fair!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it would be an interesting project to go into how a climbing rope works vs a static rope.

-Bryan

talons05

Nov 18, 2001, 7:25 PM
Post #3 of 15 (7046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe you could do a project on the physics of climbing... I have actually done something pretty similar and it worked out great. If you have questions I'd be glad to help.

AW

wachy

Nov 18, 2001, 10:33 PM
Post #4 of 15 (7046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The most important thing is that it interests YOU, because then you'll enjoy doing it and it'll be much better. Here are some suggestions that might be interesting:

1.The physiology of pumpage... you can get a good headstart by reading the article on 8a.nu.

2. Like someone else suggested, the pysics of climbing. You can talk about the different holds, barndooring, smearing, etc.

3. You can compare human climbing techniques to that of animals. Some examples would be monkeys, sloths, geckos.

good luck.

climber_girl

Nov 19, 2001, 2:22 AM
Post #5 of 15 (7046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i reallyl likr the idea of the physics of climbing one! I think that it would be really fun to do!

climber_girl

Nov 19, 2001, 2:31 AM
Post #6 of 15 (7046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

do you people have anymre suggestions?

cormac

Nov 19, 2001, 9:39 PM
Post #7 of 15 (7046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's a couple:
1. Physiology (not just physics) of climbing. Most non-climbers don't have much appreciation for what muscles, parts of the body are involved with climbing. The most common comment is "you must need great upper body strength". Yet, for something like face climbing, legs and feet carry more of the burden. But you could discuss fingertips, tendons, forearms, toes, calves, etc..

2. A scientfic examination of chalk effectiveness. There are those that claim that chalk is more psychological ("white courage") than a real help. Perhaps logging results of climbers doing climbs with and without chalk.

Just some thoughts.

metoliusmunchkin

Nov 19, 2001, 10:51 PM
Post #8 of 15 (7046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For the subject of the physiology of climbing, you could inculde the subject of pumpageas a sort of 'sub-subject'. As for the pumpage article on www.8a.nu, includes great information, that could easily be used in any sort of science fair project.

Speaking of the physiology of climbing, another great subject would be to test the stress levels of one while climbing. And not only the physical stresses that one must indure while climbing a hard route, though the mental stresses aswell, to test how (essentially) freaked out the people were while climbing it.

If you are leaning more towards the idea of how a dry-core rope would be better for suporting certain load, as oppose to a (drat, I forgot the name of it, I'll just call it--->)'flexible rope' (you climbers know, the one used in sport climbing, I have a loss for words as to what it is called), you could check out the article that is on this very website.

Climb On.
-Pat.

P.S. - I am unfortunately being faced with the same perdicament: the choice of the dreaded science fair project. Although, my science fair project does not begin for another month or so, I would still appreciate that submition of extra ideas. Thanks!

jstumpf

Nov 19, 2001, 11:25 PM
Post #9 of 15 (7046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You might also consider doing something on the physics of climbing protection. Cams & big bros would both offer some intering ideas on transferring/redirecting forces in novel ways. And what about 'Biner strength (open vs closed. Its would be interesting to see how physics plays a role in saving your butt.

climber_girl

Nov 20, 2001, 4:33 AM
Post #10 of 15 (7046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

u knwo which one i really liek so far, the comparing the levels of excercise and stuff, i think that would be better because it deals with lots of sports and stuff! if i don;t see anymore i like then that will be the one, keep thinking people, THINK!

saltspringer

Nov 22, 2001, 7:43 AM
Post #11 of 15 (7046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what about something to do with different types of rock (sedimentary, volcanic, etc...) and there properties as they relate to climbing, ie: how cracks form (horizontal/vertical), why some are uniform & others variegated...you could educate people on why the different types appeal to climbers in particular (limestone for sport, granite for trad...)
ciao
oops, almost forgot to mention that the Heritage project sounds like a good idea as well especially if you concentrate on the Rockies...one other thing to keep in mind is that this year is the 40th anniversary of the first ascent of the Grand Wall on the Chief in Squamish so it may make a good heritage project as well

[ This Message was edited by: saltspringer on 2001-11-21 23:48 ]

climber_girl

Nov 23, 2001, 3:24 AM
Post #12 of 15 (7046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey technician, yah ur right, I haven;t started doing anything about physics. We do that when we go into high school so that is why some of these physics one's could be a problem. I mean if somebody explained all this to me, then maybe, but i doubt that and plus doing it over the comp would get quite confusing. Still, just keep giving ideas and if we decided to choose one of the physics ones, we will have to ask one of our teachers! lso we want to do it on somethign to do with Socialogy so that is why we really liked that comparing sports and stuff. but u don't have to just submit them on socialogy because if we find a really good one that is socialogy, then we may end up doing it anyways.

Brittany

climberchk

Nov 23, 2001, 7:58 AM
Post #13 of 15 (7046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A really good one would be, "Is climbing really damaging the environment?" I'm actuallt doing a report on it right now and would be glad to help out if you need it.

rocmonkey

Nov 23, 2001, 9:34 AM
Post #14 of 15 (7046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't read all the replies yet, but why not incorporate the friction isssue. Comparing the froction qualities of your Figure 8's, ATC, GriGri, Bug etc...

Could work out well with the Static vs. Dynamic rope idea...

breathe stone
R C

[ This Message was edited by: rocmonkey on 2001-11-23 01:36 ]

awkward

Nov 23, 2001, 9:19 PM
Post #15 of 15 (7046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For the age group doing this project, I would have to say that I like the geological aspect of climbing best (from a previous reply). As in types of rocks, climbing features each tend to have, and how they get there to begin with. This kind of project you could have a sample of each rock whether it be granite, limestone, sandstone, or all of the above just to let your audience really get a feel for the rock. Science projects with hands on stuff are much more interesting to a spectator than non-hands on. This is just my two cents.

-Bryan

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook