Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

JasonsDrivingForce

Oct 11, 2011, 8:29 PM
Post #1 of 53 (5244 views)
Shortcut

Terminology clarification
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Here are some terms as they are defined by the “Wikipedia Glossary of climbing terms” page. First off do you agree with these definitions? Secondly, what should the finals of a bouldering competition with isolation be known as?

In those comps the climbers have no previous knowledge of the climb. However, you are allowed multiple attempts, and there is no gear involved. I have heard the terms RedPoint, On-sight, and Flash format used for comps with Isolations. However, most sport comps would have pre placed gear so Red-Point doesn’t apply to them. In addition, bouldering comps allow multiple attempts and do not allow any beta so I don’t think On-sight and Flash would really apply there either.

In addition it appears that the Pinkpoint definition below does not include the “after making previous unsuccessful attempts” criteria. Does that mean that a Pinkpoint can only be achieved on your first attempt but a Redpoint can be achieved on any attempt?

What would you call a climb that is completed on the First attempt without any beta? An On-sight or an On-sight Flash?

http://en.wikipedia.org/..._of_climbing_terms#O

Flash
To successfully and cleanly complete a climbing route on the first attempt after having received beta of some form. Also refers to an ascent of this type. For ascents on the first attempt without receiving beta see on-sight.

Beta flash
The clean ascent of a climb on the first attempt, having previously obtained beta or while having beta shouted up from the ground en route. Also see on-sight.

On-sight
A clean ascent, with no prior practice or beta.

Pinkpoint
To complete a lead climb without falling or resting on the rope (hangdogging), but with pre-placed protection and carabiners. Also see clean and redpoint.

Redpoint
To complete a lead climb after making previous unsuccessful attempts, done without falling or resting on the rope (hangdogging). Also see clean and pinkpoint.

(This post was edited by JasonsDrivingForce on Oct 11, 2011, 8:41 PM)

TarHeelEMT

Oct 11, 2011, 8:52 PM
Post #2 of 53 (5193 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JasonsDrivingForce] Terminology clarification [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

JasonsDrivingForce wrote:
In addition it appears that the Pinkpoint definition below does not include the “after making previous unsuccessful attempts” criteria. Does that mean that a Pinkpoint can only be achieved on your first attempt but a Redpoint can be achieved on any attempt?

No.

JasonsDrivingForce

Oct 11, 2011, 8:54 PM
Post #3 of 53 (5184 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TarHeelEMT] Terminology clarification [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

TarHeelEMT wrote:

No.

So both need to be on your first attempt or both can be on any attempt?

blueeyedclimber

Oct 11, 2011, 9:04 PM
Post #4 of 53 (5168 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TarHeelEMT wrote:

No.

psstt.....no one uses the term pinkpoint anymore. Prehung draws are common place in hard sport climbing and do not detract from a redpoint or on sight. The term doesn't exist in trad climbing because anyone that leads on preplaced gear gets ridiculed into submission. Cool

Josh

marc801

Oct 11, 2011, 9:07 PM
Post #5 of 53 (5160 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TarHeelEMT wrote:

No.

The only difference between pinkpoint and redpoint is that the draws are already hung on a pinkpoint - but in both cases there has been at least one unsuccessful attempt, thus the climber has at least some prior knowledge of the moves. Doing something successfully on the first attempt with no prior knowledge is an on-sight. As blueeyedclimber notes, pinkpoint really isn't used anymore.

Using any of these terms to describe a bouldering comp final doesn't really make sense. The terms denote the style of an ascent, not an event. Why not just call it a "final"?

(This post was edited by marc801 on Oct 11, 2011, 9:10 PM)

JasonsDrivingForce

Oct 11, 2011, 9:07 PM
Post #6 of 53 (5158 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Terminology clarification [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:

No.

psstt.....no one uses the term pinkpoint anymore. Prehung draws are common place in hard sport climbing and do not detract from a redpoint or on sight. The term doesn't exist in trad climbing because anyone that leads on preplaced gear gets ridiculed into submission. Cool

Josh

That makes sense. However, it still isn’t clear if a Pinkpoint can be achieved on anything other than your first attempt.

(This post was edited by JasonsDrivingForce on Oct 12, 2011, 5:32 AM)

blueeyedclimber

Oct 11, 2011, 9:10 PM
Post #7 of 53 (5149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:

No.

Josh

That makes sense. However, it still isn’t clear if a Redpoint can be achieved on anything other than your first attempt.

a redpoint cannot be achieved on your first attempt. First attempt is either an on-sight (no beta) or a flash (beta).

What beta is, however, is open to debate.

Josh

JasonsDrivingForce

Oct 11, 2011, 9:10 PM
Post #8 of 53 (5149 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Terminology clarification [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:

No.

The only difference between pinkpoint and redpoint is that the draws are already hung on a pinkpoint - but in both cases there has been at least one unsuccessful attempt, thus the climber has at least some prior knowledge of the moves. Doing something successfully on the first attempt with no prior knowledge is an on-sight.

Thank you. So is there a term for doing a climb without any beta not on your first attempt? Or is doing the climb multiple times considered beta even though no one else has assisted the climber?

(This post was edited by JasonsDrivingForce on Oct 11, 2011, 9:11 PM)

JasonsDrivingForce

Oct 11, 2011, 9:12 PM
Post #9 of 53 (5142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:

Josh

Thanks for the response that is the part I didn't understand. I see now that the interpretation of beta is the issue here.

csproul

Oct 11, 2011, 9:14 PM
Post #10 of 53 (5140 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:

No.

The only difference between pinkpoint and redpoint is that the draws are already hung on a pinkpoint - but in both cases there has been at least one unsuccessful attempt, thus the climber has at least some prior knowledge of the moves. Doing something successfully on the first attempt with no prior knowledge is an on-sight.

Thank you. So is there a term for doing a climb without any beta not on your first attempt? Or is doing the climb multiple times considered beta even though no one else has assisted the climber?
If you've attempted/been on the climb, then you have beta. That'd make it a redpoint attempt. Like was said above, pinkpoint is (becoming) an antiquated term.

(This post was edited by csproul on Oct 11, 2011, 9:15 PM)

JasonsDrivingForce

Oct 11, 2011, 9:18 PM
Post #11 of 53 (5132 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
Using any of these terms to describe a bouldering comp final doesn't really make sense. The terms denote the style of an ascent, not an event. Why not just call it a "final"?

The only difference is that in preliminary rounds for bouldering comps you can watch other climbers climb first. In the finals you can try multiple times but you have no additional help from seeing other climbers climb it.

(This post was edited by JasonsDrivingForce on Oct 11, 2011, 9:24 PM)

JasonsDrivingForce

Oct 11, 2011, 9:23 PM
Post #12 of 53 (5126 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Does Redpoint apply to bouldering or does it need to strictly be lead climbing like that definition says?

csproul

Oct 11, 2011, 9:25 PM
Post #13 of 53 (5122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
They make perfect sense in the context of a comp. Of the few comps I have been to, before the finals, maximum points were awarded for a flash of a problem, and lower point values awarded for subsequent attempts (redpoint, although the term is not really used in bouldering). For finals, the comps were onsight format, meaning that competitors did not get to see the route until they were to climb it and were not allowed to watch other competitors attempt the route/problem. Finalist only got one shot at the finals route, so they either got the onsight or they didn't get the route at all. Finalist who did not complete the route were placed by how far they got on the route. So the term may not describe an event, but when the competitors are forced to attempt routes "onsight" then I think it is a fair way to describe the competition format.

csproul

Oct 11, 2011, 9:29 PM
Post #14 of 53 (5119 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Does Redpoint apply to bouldering or does it need to strictly be lead climbing like that definition says?
The word is not really often used in the context of bouldering. I have only heard it during comps, and usually it is to clearify the comp format (i.e. you are allowed to try boulder problems more than once). Most boulderers would say they flashed a boulder problem (if they got it 1st try) or that they "sent" a boulder problem. Sending a boulder problem is basically the equivalent to redpointing a route.

marc801

Oct 11, 2011, 9:54 PM
Post #15 of 53 (5089 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Terminology clarification [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
marc801 wrote:
They make perfect sense in the context of a comp. Of the few comps I have been to, before the finals, maximum points were awarded for a flash of a problem, and lower point values awarded for subsequent attempts (redpoint, although the term is not really used in bouldering). For finals, the comps were onsight format, meaning that competitors did not get to see the route until they were to climb it and were not allowed to watch other competitors attempt the route/problem. Finalist only got one shot at the finals route, so they either got the onsight or they didn't get the route at all. Finalist who did not complete the route were placed by how far they got on the route. So the term may not describe an event, but when the competitors are forced to attempt routes "onsight" then I think it is a fair way to describe the competition format.
I get it now. So the OP is really looking for an appropriate descriptor of the format of the finals round. I still think Finals is fine with perhaps mention of On Sight Format. Iso-Finals?

JasonsDrivingForce

Oct 12, 2011, 12:28 AM
Post #16 of 53 (5039 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks, I think the responses have answered my question. I did learn a lot though.

Do you agree with the wiki definitions for the terms? Do any of them need more clarification to be accurate or more up to date with what is commonly used now?

marc801

Oct 12, 2011, 12:59 AM
Post #17 of 53 (5027 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you agree with the wiki definitions for the terms? Do any of them need more clarification to be accurate or more up to date with what is commonly used now?
Well, for starters, clarifying pinkpoint so others don't have the confusion you did. Secondly, doing a route "cleanly" has been the subject of debate in the past here, so clarifying that to mean no falls, no hanging, no gear taking any weight, would probably help as well.

shockabuku

Oct 12, 2011, 1:11 AM
Post #18 of 53 (5019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks, I think the responses have answered my question. I did learn a lot though.

Here's my favorite: multiple attempt on-sight.Crazy

In my experience there are so many variations of competition type to include iso/no iso, beta/no beta, onsight, redpoint, different scoring variations, etc. that it takes more than one word to describe the format. I don't think I've ever seen an on-sight bouldering comp, usually multiple attempts are allowed at all stages, and in finals it is pretty standard for competitors to be in iso. Occasionally people will use the governing body to identify the rules, i.e. World Cup format which is pretty well specified.

yanqui

Oct 12, 2011, 2:38 AM
Post #19 of 53 (4983 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As mentioned above, sport climbers normally "redpoint" with the draws preplaced. I don't think I've ever heard anyone seriously use the word "pinkpoint". E.g. nobody (I know) says Sharma "pinkpointed" Realization, Jumbo Love, etc., even though the draws were already in place: as if we were still waiting for the "true" redpoint of these routes. Anyways, once you've placed the draws to work a route, it does seem kinda silly to pull them out and then turn around and replace them when you're ready for the send.

However, for the high end "trad redpoint" I think people tend to make a deal about the distinction between redpointing with the gear preplaced and placing the gear on the redpoint attempt. In this case, if you wanna do the better style I think it's generally accepted you should place gear when redpointing.

(This post was edited by yanqui on Oct 12, 2011, 2:52 AM)

olderic

Oct 12, 2011, 3:02 PM
Post #20 of 53 (4915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
a redpoint cannot be achieved on your first attempt. First attempt is either an on-sight (no beta) or a flash (beta).

Josh

Sure you can redpoint a climb on your initial attempt. If you climbed it cleanly then its a red point. Flash is a proper subset of redpoint so if you climbed it with some form of beta (TBD) cleanly the first time then you get to say that you are in that inner circle of the redpoint set. Likewise on-sight is a proper subset of flash - you did it cleanly the first time without any beta (except you can split hairs about the definition of beta - grade? if anyone has ever climbed it? etc.). So then you get to be in the inner inner circle. woo-hoo. Most people will describe what they did in the grandest way possible. So they won't just say they red pointed it if they can say something "better". They could just say they got to the top eventually if they wanted too.

Partner cracklover

Oct 12, 2011, 3:14 PM
Post #21 of 53 (4907 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] Terminology clarification [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:

Josh

Sure you can redpoint a climb on your initial attempt. If you climbed it cleanly then its a red point. Flash is a proper subset of redpoint so if you climbed it with some form of beta (TBD) cleanly the first time then you get to say that you are in that inner circle of the redpoint set. Likewise on-sight is a proper subset of flash - you did it cleanly the first time without any beta (except you can split hairs about the definition of beta - grade? if anyone has ever climbed it? etc.). So then you get to be in the inner inner circle. woo-hoo. Most people will describe what they did in the grandest way possible. So they won't just say they red pointed it if they can say something "better". They could just say they got to the top eventually if they wanted too.

Is correct ^^^

BTW, regarding the term pinkpoint - while it's pretty much gone from sport climbing, on the rare occasions in which I or my partners lead a trad climb on pre-placed gear, we certainly do use the phrase pinkpoint. And the term "pink" is a wonderfully effective signifier for just what a truly macho style you used to get up the climb.

GCool

olderic

Oct 12, 2011, 3:23 PM
Post #22 of 53 (4896 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Terminology clarification [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
olderic wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:

Josh

Is correct ^^^

BTW, regarding the term pinkpoint - while it's pretty much gone from sport climbing, on the rare occasions in which I or my partners lead a trad climb on pre-placed gear, we certainly do use the phrase pinkpoint. And the term "pink" is a wonderfully effective signifier for just what a truly macho style you used to get up the climb.

GCool

There was a significant accident and a major hub-bub on the GT ledge below Limelight when a trad pinkpoint attempt went bad. Everybody describing the accident used the term "pinkpoint" - so I would say that the concept and understanding of the definition is still pretty wide spread. It's dismissed in the sport world mainly because of the trickle down effect - the big boys (and girls) can't be bothered ( for semi legitimate reasons on cutting edge routes) and every Tom, Dick and Harry wants to emulate them.

donald949

Oct 12, 2011, 5:47 PM
Post #23 of 53 (4829 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:

No.

Josh

That makes sense. However, it still isn’t clear if a Redpoint can be achieved on anything other than your first attempt.

Josh
Let not forget my favorite style.
Hangdog. The first attempt, with falls.

marc801

Oct 12, 2011, 6:00 PM
Post #24 of 53 (4820 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donald949] Terminology clarification [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
Let not forget my favorite style.
Hangdog. The first attempt, with falls.
I once watched someone in American Fork climb manage to get to the anchors on a 7 bolt 11b by clipping and falling/hanging on every single bolt! It wasn't pretty. The real kicker was when they lowered off, they proclaimed it really wasn't that hard and should probably be an 11a!

Partner cracklover

Oct 12, 2011, 6:39 PM
Post #25 of 53 (4800 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] Terminology clarification [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
cracklover wrote:
olderic wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:

Josh

Is correct ^^^

GCool

There was a significant accident and a major hub-bub on the GT ledge below Limelight when a trad pinkpoint attempt went bad. Everybody describing the accident used the term "pinkpoint" - so I would say that the concept and understanding of the definition is still pretty wide spread. It's dismissed in the sport world mainly because of the trickle down effect - the big boys (and girls) can't be bothered ( for semi legitimate reasons on cutting edge routes) and every Tom, Dick and Harry wants to emulate them.

I'd heard about that accident, and heard that it was so bad because a green alien he fell on ripped. I had no idea the leader was climbing on pre-placed gear. What a big can of worms. I bet the person who placed the gear feels more than a little conflicted...

GO

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook