First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

sandeld

Jan 13, 2012, 4:55 PM
Post #26 of 35 (1945 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] Outdoor careers/career change...halp! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Have to pander to the target audience, ya know?

calvo

Jan 15, 2012, 6:31 AM
Post #27 of 35 (1926 views)
Shortcut

Conservation Corp? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You could spend some time working for a conservation corp. It is minimum wage, and really tests you physically, mentally, and spiritually.

I've spent the past 2 summers working for a youth conservation corp in Vermont, and gaining experience so that I have that option to work as a conservation corp leader if I need some time spent in the woods. I'm a freshmen at Boston University, and although working in a lab may be what I pursue for a 'career'.. I know spending time with this conservation corp will give me the option to pursue that type of work as well after I graduate.

Even though it is hard ... and a questionable choice for a competent individual, I have found it immensely rewarding. Also I believe the networking I am able to do here will help me land outdoor positions at other organizations.

If any of you guys have more experience in this line of work than me, feel free to bash/input information on it, otherwise I would trying googling Conservation Corps .. they have them all over the country, and they're a chance to make some money while learning how to live in the backwoods.

**EDIT: Ameri-corps is like the larger entity of which things like Conservation Corps and Peace Corps are a part of. They also have internships and stewardships around the country. So like although I have no experience with it, looking at Americorps positions might be more your things if Conservation Corp specifically isn't your taste.

(This post was edited by calvo on Jan 15, 2012, 6:34 AM)

guangzhou

Jan 18, 2012, 12:58 PM
Post #28 of 35 (1896 views)
Shortcut

Re: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
sandeld wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
Use this time to bank cash and figure it out, and maybe also explore a career change.

Ha! Thanks! Did you read the title of this post or my original post?

I can't remember... I made the mistake of clicking on the link you have in your signature and I'm sorry to say I was overwhelmed by the douchiness.

Maybe you should just stick to the weight room with the rest of the meatheads?
Yuck, I would never have clicked on that link unless you had said that. Give me a minute to clean up the vomit...

Wow, I wasn't going to click either, but you two convinced me.

The link seems to live up to the post he has here so far.

petsfed

Jan 20, 2012, 5:39 AM
Post #29 of 35 (1859 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sandeld] Outdoor careers/career change...halp! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm trying to figure out what you want to do that's climbing related.

I can tell you right off the bat that you're WAAAAY too attached to your own self image to have much of a future as a teacher or a guide. Don't get me wrong, you have to be pretty egotistical to enjoy being a teacher (that is, to honestly believe that people will benefit from what you tell them), but conversely, everybody's a critic. Either don't take internet digs so personally, or look elsewhere.

If you're hoping to build climbing gear, your options are to either work for minimum wage (or near enough to it, manufacturing in the US is pretty much impossible to do sustainably), or go back to school and get an MS or PhD in mechanical engineering, general materials science, or metallurgy in particular and design the things.

If you're hoping to test climbing gear, I take it that it hasn't occurred to you that that's one of the perks of doing something else for the gear company, like designing or building the gear, or answering phones or something.

If you want to sell the gear, there's a tricky balance between confident and too confident, and I get the strong impression based on how you've presented yourself here that you're pretty strongly in the latter category.

You've presented your case in a way that tries to avoid painting you in a negative light, but in so doing strips all of the details that would allow us to provide any sort of meaningful advice.

I've also been casually looking for EE jobs, and the sorts I'd be interested in are in Texas and Oregon (that is, in semiconductor manufacturing), neither of which really appeals to me as a climber. However, I've also cultivated some skill as a climbing instructor, and I have a lot of experience teaching in general. Tell us what about EE you don't like, and what sort of things you do have experience in, other than pouring concrete, and maybe we can help you.

By the way, if you had so much "talent", you wouldn't be struggling to find a job you were happy with, if for no other reason than because any position you feel you have the "talent" for is one that's going to take 5-10 years of shit jobs in your chosen field to get to.

damienclimber

Jan 20, 2012, 11:10 PM
Post #30 of 35 (1829 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by damienclimber [In reply to]
Report this Post

dr_feelgood

Jan 21, 2012, 1:59 AM
Post #31 of 35 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Re: [damienclimber] Outdoor careers/career change...halp! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

damienclimber wrote:
sandeld wrote:
Have to pander to the target audience, ya know?

Hey. your Mom spent alot of money for law school !

Couldn't you just work on finding a way to put together, ( the 20+ alter personalities into one Super-Dave power?) Angelic

You could be the next hot sensation -climbing,happy and caught-outside !
I thought he was an engineer...

dan2see

Jan 21, 2012, 6:42 AM
Post #32 of 35 (1798 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Outdoor careers/career change...halp! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This post is just one example of another way to work in the mountains...

I used to work as an Electronics Technician on jet fighters. Then I migrated to freelance software developer.

But I love Nature and the outdoors, especially in the mountains. I have a lot of fun exploring and learning. I scramble with friends, and climb with the Alpine Club.

I take a lot of snapshots. So I'm starting to do this:

Fine Art America: Daniel Cohen

This picture and this painting

Too soon to expect sales, but I must keep working at this, while I do data-base stuff downtown. My friends tell me to keep trying, someday I'll be successful. Well they aren't buying my stuff, but I don't care -- it's what I want to do.

The moral of my post is:
Don't fret so much about how you don't like where you are.
Keep focused on where you want to be.

In school I learned:
Follow your heart. The money will come later.
It's true!

damienclimber

Jan 27, 2012, 12:47 AM
Post #33 of 35 (1682 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dan2see] Outdoor careers/career change...halp! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dan2see wrote:
This post is just one example of another way to work in the mountains...

I used to work as an Electronics Technician on jet fighters. Then I migrated to freelance software developer.

But I love Nature and the outdoors, especially in the mountains. I have a lot of fun exploring and learning. I scramble with friends, and climb with the Alpine Club.

I take a lot of snapshots. So I'm starting to do this:

Fine Art America: Daniel Cohen

This picture [image]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-small/twilight-peak-spring-morning-daniel-cohen.jpg[/image] and this painting [image]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-small/priddis-pond-1-daniel-cohen.jpg[/image]

Too soon to expect sales, but I must keep working at this, while I do data-base stuff downtown. My friends tell me to keep trying, someday I'll be successful. Well they aren't buying my stuff, but I don't care -- it's what I want to do.

The moral of my post is:
Don't fret so much about how you don't like where you are.
Keep focused on where you want to be.

In school I learned:
Follow your heart. The money will come later.
It's true!

Thank you for posting your artwork and photos.

I wish you the best with your endeavors.

damienclimber

Jan 27, 2012, 12:52 AM
Post #34 of 35 (1681 views)
Shortcut

Re: [calvo] Conservation Corp? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

calvo wrote:
You could spend some time working for a conservation corp. It is minimum wage, and really tests you physically, mentally, and spiritually.

I've spent the past 2 summers working for a youth conservation corp in Vermont, and gaining experience so that I have that option to work as a conservation corp leader if I need some time spent in the woods. I'm a freshmen at Boston University, and although working in a lab may be what I pursue for a 'career'.. I know spending time with this conservation corp will give me the option to pursue that type of work as well after I graduate.

Even though it is hard ... and a questionable choice for a competent individual, I have found it immensely rewarding. Also I believe the networking I am able to do here will help me land outdoor positions at other organizations.

If any of you guys have more experience in this line of work than me, feel free to bash/input information on it, otherwise I would trying googling Conservation Corps .. they have them all over the country, and they're a chance to make some money while learning how to live in the backwoods.

**EDIT: Ameri-corps is like the larger entity of which things like Conservation Corps and Peace Corps are a part of. They also have internships and stewardships around the country. So like although I have no experience with it, looking at Americorps positions might be more your things if Conservation Corp specifically isn't your taste.

Is your user name an anagram for vocal?

Did you work for this Conservation Corp/Peace Corps?

calvo

Jan 27, 2012, 5:22 AM
Post #35 of 35 (1665 views)
Shortcut

Re: [damienclimber] Conservation Corp? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nope

I spent the past 2 summer working for VYCC, and I shall be continuing to next summer

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook