Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

inside

Jun 4, 2012, 5:57 AM
Post #51 of 74 (16693 views)
Shortcut

Re: [RunRocket] New Bouldering Gym San Antonio Texas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Scott, thanks for letting me see the gym-in-progress the other day.

Have you been out to the UTSA climbing gym at all? If you want to go, I can bring along guests for just $5.

RunRocket

Jun 4, 2012, 3:19 PM
Post #52 of 74 (16673 views)
Shortcut

Re: [inside] New Bouldering Gym San Antonio Texas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The last year I was at UTSA they installed that climbing gym. I went a handful of times. I would love to go again. Send me your number.

mbarbosa430

Jun 11, 2012, 12:28 AM
Post #53 of 74 (16613 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am active army and moving to Fort Sam Houston in the near future. I am really glad to know that there will be a place to climb in SA and interested in progress. I will definitely become a member. Best of luck.

-Mike

RunRocket

Jun 11, 2012, 5:11 AM
Post #54 of 74 (16593 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mbarbosa430] New Bouldering Gym San Antonio Texas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My shop is on the corner of Broadway and Army blvd. A half a click up the road is where Ft.Sam starts. It is likely you will be able to ride a bike here after work. I can't wait to make the announcement of being open. I am learning there are a few cool places to do some actual climbing here in SA. I went to Cub cave today, saw some bad ass climbing when we got there. A 5.13. The route is called theiving texas scum. It's in the mouth of a cave 15 degrees cooler than the surface temp. You'll find the heat here is often a limiting factor. I'll definitely be back to climb that when I get my hands in shape for climbing.
The guy I was with today looked up the route on youtube and the guy in the first video(Rupesh) was the guy that was climbing when we got there! What are the odds.

(This post was edited by RunRocket on Jun 11, 2012, 5:19 AM)

SylviaSmile

Jun 14, 2012, 10:05 PM
Post #55 of 74 (16543 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

RunRocket wrote:
My shop is on the corner of Broadway and Army blvd. A half a click up the road is where Ft.Sam starts. It is likely you will be able to ride a bike here after work. I can't wait to make the announcement of being open. I am learning there are a few cool places to do some actual climbing here in SA. I went to Cub cave today, saw some bad ass climbing when we got there. A 5.13. The route is called theiving texas scum. It's in the mouth of a cave 15 degrees cooler than the surface temp. You'll find the heat here is often a limiting factor. I'll definitely be back to climb that when I get my hands in shape for climbing.
The guy I was with today looked up the route on youtube and the guy in the first video(Rupesh) was the guy that was climbing when we got there! What are the odds.

It's too bad you're not open yet, I'm going to be in SA in a couple weeks and it would be fun to visit the long-awaited gym!

RunRocket

Jun 15, 2012, 2:41 AM
Post #56 of 74 (16533 views)
Shortcut

Re: [SylviaSmile] New Bouldering Gym San Antonio Texas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Call when you get here. You can visit it.

RunRocket

Jun 23, 2012, 12:56 AM
Post #57 of 74 (16424 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a top rope anchor up and my first piece of the padding for the floor. We will be climbing in the evenings if any one wants to try out the routes that are here now or set their own routes. Not finished with the wall, but there are parts that can be climbed. I have 5 or so people a week stop by to check it out. If you want to check it out bring your shoes, you know you're going to want to climb it when you see it!
Here's the instructions; the sliding window next to the front door will be unlocked until about midnight. Slide it open and there is an access card on the window sill. Hold it up to the reader out side, you will hear a beep. Enter. PUT THE CARD BACK on the window sill. You also have to card out to get out.

Traches

Jun 23, 2012, 6:19 AM
Post #58 of 74 (16411 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Glad to hear there's progress. I'll be spending a few months in san antonio starting the end of july-- I'd like to stay in some kind of climbing shape while I'm there so I'll for sure look you up!

RunRocket

Jun 25, 2012, 4:22 PM
Post #59 of 74 (16360 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Traches] New Bouldering Gym San Antonio Texas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Here are a couple of pics of the climbing wall. There is a really cool cave area that starts under the stairs goes into the cave and out into the room. Every one setting routes gravitates to that area, understandably. If it uploads, there is a pic of a dyno route that takes a jump about 6' across to a double handed hold. I tried it with one hand and ended up swinging upside down in my harness. We climbed all day for the past three days. I have the other half of the room to do something with. I am going to wait until we get more people and then take a vote on what features people want.
Attachments: small res wall 2.jpg (97.2 KB)
  small res wall.jpg (95.6 KB)

ClubberofSeals

Jun 30, 2012, 6:42 AM
Post #60 of 74 (16254 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

THIS IS AWESOME! I currently go to lifetime and am crying over paying the absurd amount they ask for just to climb! BUT I LOVE IT! Can i stop by sometime? I didnt get the whole sliding window key card thing, do i just go any time and climb?

RunRocket

Jun 30, 2012, 3:53 PM
Post #61 of 74 (16242 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ClubberofSeals] New Bouldering Gym San Antonio Texas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes you can come anytime and climb. It's free now but in a week or two I am going to have to start taking fees. Everyone will get an access card and can let themselves in whenever they want. A few people from Lifetime have stopped by to check it out. Their biggest complaint other than the price is the limited hours. This feels more like a coop gym because everyone is helping out to get it finished a few guys have brought in A LOT of cool holds.

SylviaSmile

Jul 3, 2012, 3:27 PM
Post #62 of 74 (16178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey sorry I wasn't able to make it last week! Last minute things with my move to Colorado got in the way--next time I'm in SA, though, I'm definitely hitting you up! Smile

RunRocket

Jul 3, 2012, 8:03 PM
Post #63 of 74 (16164 views)
Shortcut

Re: [SylviaSmile] New Bouldering Gym San Antonio Texas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No problem. The gym is rockin and rolling now. Last night we had some UTSA and Lifetime people climbing and setting more routes. About 20 people came climbing yesterday. Still not finished with the wall completely but the parts that are done are really cool. Climbers are setting some very interesting problems.

rclimb88

Jul 3, 2012, 9:30 PM
Post #64 of 74 (16156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What's your single use fee? Or the equivalent of a monthly membership?

And should I just swing by or whats the best way to let you know I'm coming? I started working across town and your place is pretty close to where I am.

RunRocket

Jul 3, 2012, 10:01 PM
Post #65 of 74 (16153 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rclimb88] New Bouldering Gym San Antonio Texas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Single use fee is $10. Monthly fee $30. Right now it's free. Just stop by and climb. Call me at 210-845-9855 or when you get here slide the window next to the door open, use the access card to let yourself in.
You have to use the card on the inside to let yourself out also.
I am a week away from being able to provide everyone with an access card that has a membership.

RunRocket

Jul 9, 2012, 8:08 AM
Post #66 of 74 (16037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I have the security/surveillance system fully functional. I can now provide everyone with access cards. We handed out like 15 tonight to everyone that was climbing tonight. So call me from now on to get in if you don't have a card yet. A lot of guys brought holds so it's time to tighten up security. The San Antonio climbers are the coolest group of people I literally have ever met. Everyone helped screw in thousands of T-nuts and whatever else was needed to get this up and running. Sorry about the screw through your hand today Preston (He taped it up and still climbed afterwards) THANKS TO THIS FORUM! Many people that found this post have already showed up to climb. There are a bunch of guys setting routes. We just got the top rope up on the easy side so any one at any level can have fun now. And fun is what this is all about.
This is an 18 and up gym. The Lifetimes north of town allow kids. If you want your kids to climb please go there. This is an adult setting, hanging around drinking after climbing kind of scene.

(This post was edited by RunRocket on Jul 9, 2012, 8:15 AM)

synrock

Jul 10, 2012, 6:06 PM
Post #67 of 74 (15973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

care for a box of synrock samples?

RunRocket

Jul 10, 2012, 7:02 PM
Post #68 of 74 (15968 views)
Shortcut

Re: [synrock] New Bouldering Gym San Antonio Texas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sure. I would really like to check out your cracks!(intended humor) I wanted to order one of those anyway to see if it's something to take all the way to the ceiling.
Also is you can send me a pdf of your logo, one of the artists that climb will paint it on the wall somewhere.

synrock

Jul 10, 2012, 7:36 PM
Post #69 of 74 (15962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

are you talking out the inset cracks or bolt on the surface crack.

RunRocket

Jul 10, 2012, 10:58 PM
Post #70 of 74 (15951 views)
Shortcut

Re: [synrock] New Bouldering Gym San Antonio Texas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I want a crack that will be 10' to 15' long. The bolt on cracks (I think) are small holds that are a few inches long. I want a crack to be as continuous as possible. So I will buy 15 of those inset cracks and have them snake up the wall. I see you have different width cracks as well.
The climbers want a crack, but I need to ask more specific questions about what the crack should entail. (especially about what combinations of the different width cracks they want) I am pretty sure the insets will be best for what we have in mind.

emmmy

Aug 6, 2012, 10:42 PM
Post #71 of 74 (15312 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Helllo! I've been interested in picking up rock climbing, but have been unable to do so because of the lack of climbing gyms in
In reply to:
SA, have you opened your gym yet? It sounds fantastic

RunRocket

Aug 7, 2012, 5:28 PM
Post #72 of 74 (15284 views)
Shortcut

Re: [emmmy] New Bouldering Gym San Antonio Texas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's been amazing. Really fun too. Last night we finally got the lead hardware through the arch/ceiling. So we set the first roof lead route last night. We were climbing it till 3 am.
I still think that bouldering will be 95% of the climbing here. But I know the climbers that are capable will be leading on the roof.
I think there are about 35 or 40 members so far. One or two a day sign up.
To summarize for those that googled and then skipped to the end;
24 hour access, $30 a month. 18 and up. Full
free-weight room, 2424 broadway san antonio 78215 behind and attached to the Midas shop. I don't have a website, advertising or a sign yet so bring your shoes, call to let me know you are coming 210-845-9855 Scott

(This post was edited by RunRocket on Aug 7, 2012, 5:29 PM)

aaronraby

Jan 8, 2013, 5:47 PM
Post #73 of 74 (14039 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To anyone who hasn't been to The District yet and comes across this post. Our facebook and website are both up now.

www.facebook.com/thedistrictsa

www.thedistrictsa.com

Come join classes in Acro yoga, Hot mix yoga, boot camp/functional fitness, and climbing, or just sign up and climb 24/7.

On another note: Walls are now painted and textured. Holds are washed, and we are setting for SENDSVILLE 2013 over the 4 days. Come out and compete on the 12th!!

Prinz

Apr 3, 2013, 10:19 PM
Post #74 of 74 (13124 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are looking for a great deal on climbing holds, we offer 35% off for bulk gym orders!

www.prinzclimbingholds.com

Our blend of polyurethane is the highest quality in the industry and we guarantee our holds against breakage. Check out our thousands of shapes...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook