Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

marc801

Aug 20, 2012, 1:11 AM
Post #26 of 30 (1496 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradmanclimbs] Vertical Tricams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

tradmanclimbs wrote:
In 20 years he still has NOT NEEDED TO LEARN HOW TO PLACE THEM Sly
Or so you and he think. Until recently he's a 30 yr Gunks regular. Instead of learning how to place good pink and red tricams in all those shallow horizontals, he'd rather opt for a shitty camalot or TCU that will rip if you hung a pair of sneakers on them. Good trade-off of ideology over practicality and reality. Sounds just like the Republicans.

tradmanclimbs

Aug 20, 2012, 1:27 AM
Post #27 of 30 (1489 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Vertical Tricams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Can't speak for your partner but there are lots of very good climbers who do not need or use tricams. I started out with a passive rack and certainly paied my dues 30 years ago with tri cams and hexes but could easily live without them. Every time I have done a route in the last decade where the guidebook warned that tricams were mandatory I have managed to protect it without said tricams. The black tricam is only 3kn. The same size BD TCU is 10 kn... whatever.. keep fiddleing as much as you want just be aware that it is a fettish and not the essentual big deal that the tricam groupies seem to have bought into...

marc801

Aug 20, 2012, 5:45 AM
Post #28 of 30 (1463 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tradmanclimbs wrote:
Can't speak for your partner but there are lots of very good climbers who do not need or use tricams. I started out with a passive rack and certainly paied my dues 30 years ago with tri cams and hexes but could easily live without them. Every time I have done a route in the last decade where the guidebook warned that tricams were mandatory I have managed to protect it without said tricams. The black tricam is only 3kn. The same size BD TCU is 10 kn... whatever.. keep fiddleing as much as you want just be aware that it is a fettish and not the essentual big deal that the tricam groupies seem to have bought into...
Keeping in mind that the BD TCU only holds 10kN if it stays in the placement during a fall. Like I said at least twice - they're not for everyone. Really, it's OK if you can't figure out how to use them. There are other options. Sometimes.

[Edit for spelling]

(This post was edited by marc801 on Aug 20, 2012, 5:50 AM)

tradmanclimbs

Aug 20, 2012, 10:49 AM
Post #29 of 30 (1447 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Vertical Tricams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Mark. point is I can use them better than most yet mostly choose not to because most of the time there are better options. You are of course free to live in your little dream world where tricams are better than cold micro beer while the elightened ones know that tricams are the keystone light backwash swill of the camming devicesWink

(This post was edited by tradmanclimbs on Aug 20, 2012, 10:31 PM)

marc801

Aug 21, 2012, 7:13 PM
Post #30 of 30 (1356 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tradmanclimbs wrote:
Mark. point is I can use them better than most yet mostly choose not to because most of the time there are better options. You are of course free to live in your little dream world where tricams are better than cold micro beer while the elightened ones know that tricams are the keystone light backwash swill of the camming devicesWink
They're just another tool in the quiver, sometimes useless, sometimes easily replaced by something else, sometimes just perfect. Since the OP was just asking about their use in vertical cracks and probably not wanting to start a religious war over protection (which would be ludicrous), it seems we're kinda at that dead horse point.

[Of course that's not to be confused with Dead Horse Point...]

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook