Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

whitenight

Dec 29, 2002, 9:44 PM
Post #126 of 181 (64269 views)
Shortcut

"cragchica" Andria's valued life [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Wow, what a reminder of how short life can be.
Andria, her family and friends are all in my thoughts and prayers! God bless!
~L.A.Whitenight~

reno

Dec 29, 2002, 11:47 PM
Post #127 of 181 (64269 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Please add my sympathies to those expressed by everyoen else.

Sad indeed is the day we lose a friend, sister, and colleague.

"Do not fear death so much as the inadequate life." -- Bertolt Brecht, 1932

From what I have gathered, here is a woman that lived life.

May her family and friends find peace in this troubled time.

Sincerely,

Jeff Brosius
Atlanta, GA

elena

Dec 30, 2002, 7:49 AM
Post #128 of 181 (64269 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just wanted to let passthepitonspete know that the words hillary read of his at the funeral deeply moved her family and all the rest of us...so thank you!

spider_woman

Dec 30, 2002, 2:09 PM
Post #129 of 181 (64269 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My condolences....

mwbtle

Dec 30, 2002, 2:51 PM
Post #130 of 181 (64269 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My condolences to Andria's family and friends.

I did not know her, but judging by the heartfelt responses here, I wish I had.

passthepitonspete

Dec 30, 2002, 5:07 PM
Post #131 of 181 (64269 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks, Elena.

It was an honoUr.

janmar196

Dec 30, 2002, 9:25 PM
Post #132 of 181 (64269 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I want to thank everyone for giving us more insight into the life of Andria. I am her aunt and though I was able to spend some time with her when she visited with her father in Florida in reading your posts I've learned how much I missed. Is the eulogy posted somewhere on this site?

climberdee

Dec 30, 2002, 9:55 PM
Post #133 of 181 (64269 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hillary,

I just heard the awful news, and my heart goes out to you and to Andria's family. Even though I only climbed with her that one weekend up at Jack's, I found her to be full of fun and adventure, brimming with light and happiness. Typed words do not accurately express my sadness at the loss of her light from this Earth. She will be sorely missed.

Climberdee

elkattio

Dec 31, 2002, 2:19 AM
Post #134 of 181 (64269 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am not a rock climber or a member of this site ... but a friend of mine pointed this out and the response it got...

This is a very tight wound community ... thats a good thing...

My thoughts and prayers will be with her family...

Partner philbox

Jan 5, 2003, 3:12 AM
Post #135 of 181 (64269 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just got back from a climbing trip and this is what confronts me upon coming to this site. Very sad eh. Please pass on my condolonces to those closest to her.

...Phil...

lilred

Jan 6, 2003, 5:56 PM
Post #136 of 181 (64269 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oh my God... Annie just told me the news Hill...

i really don't know what to say, i'm a bit in shock and speachless...

in sympathy,
M

trebclimber

Jan 6, 2003, 6:12 PM
Post #137 of 181 (64269 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My condolences to the family and friends of Andria.

passthepitonspete

Jan 12, 2003, 10:08 PM
Post #138 of 181 (64269 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Andria and Hillary were best of friends!
posers, eh? We had a lot of fun out in the desert, experimenting with black and white film and different poses and composition. What I wanted to share with you in these two photos is the joy that Hillary and Andria shared.

Like, what's a Wall Doctor to do but point his camera, and keep shooting, eh?

For reasons which remain inexplicable to me, they both "got" me. And this is not an easy thing to do!

A more disparate trio you were unlikely to find, but therein lay the mystery, much to our mutual amusement. I think we gave up puzzling over it, since there was no answer.
La Salsa. Here Andria and Hillary play the cry of the loon, which is the theme song of Bob and Doug McKenzie, eh? We, like, spoke Hoser a lot together, eh?

We also spoke ee-WAH-nah. We even spoke eet een our Eenstant Messages. Heelary and Andreea were par-tee-cularly good at eet. As you can see, the two of them are dreenkeeng Pa-CEE-fee-co beer.

I'll close for now with this beautiful silhouette we made at sunset whilst bouldering at Gates Pass. [All the photos are links to themselves, incidentally, so feel free to click and comment]

The friendship of Andria and Hillary was special and extraordinary.

It was a friendship that was founded on the fundamentals - similar interests, complemen- tary needs and personalities, but most importantly, it was a friendship founded on love.

It would be hard to find two friends who loved each other more than Andria and Hillary! But see, I'm not talking just about feelings here, K? That's the easy bit. Love is so much more than just feelings - though the feelings are sure one of the best parts.

Love is a choice. Love is a decision. Love is as much volitional as it is emotional.

"Love is what you do for your beloved when you don't feel like loving her."

Love practises forgiveness, where one chooses to let the other off the hook without seeking retribution for the hurts caused. This is costly to the one wronged, but is worth the sacrifice when measured against the value of the love. Love is unconditional in the most selfless sense.

The friendship of Hillary and Andria was one that was put to the test. I heard about things from both sides. And although each expressed to me her sorrows, I assured them both with complete confidence that their friendship would survive - despite their hurts, and because of their love for each other, because of their forgiving hearts.
It did.

You see, love is the most dangerous adventure you will ever undertake! There are no guarantees. You must extend your heart to your beloved on a silver platter, with no expectation of your heart being treated with compassion. You can only hope.

Cuz after all is said and done, these three remain - faith, hope and love,

But the greatest of these is love.

Hillary and Andria were true friends, and it was a joy for me to see.

The sun may have set on Andria's life, but the friendship of Andria and Hillary remains.

squirrelgirl

Jan 12, 2003, 10:41 PM
Post #139 of 181 (64269 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I send my condolences to all of Andria's family and friends. I don't really know what to say. I never really knew her, but I wish I could've.

justsendingits

Jan 13, 2003, 5:30 AM
Post #140 of 181 (64269 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow,just found this thread,this is the best and the most emotional thread I have ever read on this site.What a great tribute you guys have created..

so many special ppl. have died in the last few weeks. So sad for all family and friends.

R

[ This Message was edited by: justsendingits on 2003-01-12 21:31 ]

rayzor

Jan 16, 2003, 6:53 AM
Post #141 of 181 (64269 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am sorry to hear of your loss, though I know your faith in God and His goodness will ensure that you will one day meet up again with her in a place with far better crags than earth has to offer.

With Love
Rayzor

ford

Jan 16, 2003, 7:30 AM
Post #142 of 181 (64269 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

people i climb with know that my gear is marked with purple tape. My beloved chalk bag 'biner (an old Chouinard) will now wear a second stripe, this one in black tape. This one is for you, my friend...

---Ford---

p.s. feel free to join me in this

acrophobic

Jan 16, 2003, 9:05 PM
Post #143 of 181 (64269 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

this is very sad

Helmets save lives, i wonder if she was wearing one... Something so easy, but so many people dont wear one while biking... much like climbing.

She was certainly a beautiful person in every way. Very rare in this world.

You can't help but loose sleep that a few seconds would make.. what if she got a phone call, what if she didn't stop to pet her dog on the way out. Life is full of forks we cannot control.

climbsomething

Jan 16, 2003, 9:27 PM
Post #144 of 181 (64269 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The response here has been beautiful.

Thank you so much, everybody, for your caring. It will be forever appreciated.

~Hillary

passthepitonspete

Jan 16, 2003, 10:57 PM
Post #145 of 181 (64269 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you all for your kind and heartfelt responses. It is very very encouraging and gratifying for me to see! There is a lot of love in this community for sure. Please keep writing! My therapy is to RANT, and I feel a small one coming on.

As far as I am aware, Andria was not wearing her helmet when she died. I was about to tell you that she would never dream of climbing without it, but I have some photos of her doing just that. I suspect she accidentally forgot to bring it climbing that day, because she almost always wore it.

The lesson here is obvious: "Wear your helmet!"

In times of crisis, it is tempting to torture yourself with "what ifs". What if she were wearing a helmet that night? [I doubt this would have made much difference from the sounds of things, but you never know] What if she had delayed her bike ride by five minutes? This "what iffing" is particulary alluring when you yourself have made a mistake. Sometimes the hardest person to forgive is yourself!

But you have to.

It is better to live in the freedom of forgiveness, than the bitterness of unforgiveness. If you do not forgive someone for the hurts they have caused you, then you have given them control over you. You are allowing them to continue to hurt you. Women are typically worse about this than men, though there are plenty of bitter men, too. How many ex-wives do you know who still hate their ex's five, ten, fifteen even twenty years after the fact? When taken to extremes, you can still be embittered and controlled by someone who has died, merely because you have chosen not to forgive him!

So there is a huge selfish motivation to forgive - it's actually in your best interests to let the one who hurt you off the hook. It will rid your heart of bitterness. Let it go! Otherwise, the person who hurt you remains a ball and chain round your ankle.

Always remember that YOU control your feelings - not your beloved, not your enemy, and not your boss.

You can dwell on the negatives, or you can LOOK TO THE SUMMIT. The choice is entirely your own.

There have been more than a few times lately, like when I was scanning photos of Andria, where I shouted out, "Dammit, Andria! Why the hell did you have to get yourself killed?!"

I've sure felt it all - anger, hurt, sadness - yet these feelings are bittersweet because they are a result of love.

So here are the "what ifs" I've thought about lately. I've given them a lot of consideration.

"What if I had never met Andria? If I had never met her, I wouldn't be feeling this pain.

"But if I had never met her, I would have missed out on so much more!"

How do I choose to feel about this? [Sometimes I can't choose - it just hurts too much]

But for me, the choice is obvious, though not necessarily easy. In spite of the hurts caused by Andria's death, I cannot help but think again and again and again how amazingly fortunate, blessed and just damn lucky I am to have known her.

And I will happily pay the price of the hurts I feel, and continue to feel, in exchange for the privelege of having been her friend.

I have been richly blessed.

hugepedro

Jan 16, 2003, 11:14 PM
Post #146 of 181 (64269 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Andria,
I never knew you, but I wish I had.

The spirit of your life sustains those you've touched.

quickclips

Jan 22, 2003, 10:34 PM
Post #147 of 181 (64269 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To all those whom where friends of Andria's, all is to think of the good times. I'm truly sorry to hear about your lose, it's a loss to all of us. I've lost some very close friends in the past and I know that there is very little that can make you feel better. I don't really know what else to say except that it sounds like she really loved life, and that is whats important. Don't be sad for what you might not have, be happy for what you've had.

Chris

freeclmr

Jan 27, 2003, 7:04 AM
Post #148 of 181 (64269 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To all of Andria's family and friends I give my deepest sympathy. This is truely a tragedy which reminds all of us that life is a precious gift that can be taken away at any moment. Live life fully, full of love and passion and without regrets.
Brian

overlord

Jan 27, 2003, 8:13 AM
Post #149 of 181 (64269 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

damn didnt see this until now. i even have her on my friends list. damndamnadmn

superbum

Jan 31, 2003, 10:47 PM
Post #150 of 181 (64264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Andria takes up the sole spot in my "My Friends" section on this site. I was on my way down to Mexico a few months ago and Andria, via RC.com, offered me a place to stay, and a woody to climb, if we passed through Tucson. We didn't. Now that the trip recently ended and having no other plans, I temporarily relocated to Tucson. I have been trying to reach this hospitable soul, but to no avail. I now know why, and it is with a heavy heart that I end my attempt at correspondence. Though we have never physically crossed paths, she will weigh on my mind every time I set foot and hand on the desert crags of Arizona... Vic.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook