Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
local problems
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

mountainmike

Jun 26, 2001, 5:45 PM
Post #1 of 3 (2486 views)
Shortcut

local problems  (North_America: United_States: Arkansas: Ozarks: Springdale_Bouldering_Area)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I went to the springdale bouldering site for the first time this week. It is a great site. I am looking for someone that I could go with that knows the problems or someone who could tell me what some of them our. Please let me know. I am eager to learn. It looks like a great place.

talons05

Aug 26, 2001, 2:04 AM
Post #2 of 3 (2486 views)
Shortcut

local problems [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, Mtn. Mike,
I used to live in Fayetteville and I went to Springdale H.S. Nearly everyday after school we used to go to the Springdale Bouldering area (I'm assuming we're speaking of the same place, Lutz ave, out by Cram-A-Lot, right?) Anyway, I am now at the U.S. Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, CO, so obviously I can't help you. But, I know who can: Go to Lewis & Clark outfitters in Springdale (Right past the mall when heading north) and ask to talk to Keith Ingram or Brian Kittrell. Tell them that Austin sent you. I used to run the climbing department there until I left for the Academy. It's a great store and everyone there is super cool. I'm pretty sure that Keith is running the dept. now, so he'd be the best to talk to. I've been out there with them several times and they know most of the cool spots. I don't know at what level you're climbing, but I know for sure that in the overhang there are roof problems ranging from v0 (middle of roof) to v6+ (everywhere else). My favorite in that section is a roof crack over on the left side. It's a killer little climb. Short, but sweet. Another little morsel for you: If you follow the bluff line around enough, you'll come upon a little enclosed area off to your right.
We always called it "the Icebox" because it is always nice and shady and cool (or cold as all getout in the winter) Anyway, we used to start about the middle of the left wall inside there, and try to go all the way around the huge boulder (harder than it sounds) So, until you get some more beta, you might just goof off a little with that stuff. There really aren't any "named" routes, persay, because there is no guidebook. Basically, go out there, make up your own problems, and just climb the hell out of the place. It's so close and convenient, it improved my climbing skills 500000000000% because it allowed me to hit the real rock nearly everyday. Well, now that I've nearly written you a book, I'll stop. Let me know if you have any other questions ( c05austin.williams@usafa.af.mil )

mountainmike

Oct 18, 2001, 11:04 PM
Post #3 of 3 (2486 views)
Shortcut

local problems [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Talon. Your right it is a great place to help you improve. Some friends I and were able to make up a ton of problems to work on. The overhand is probably my favorite part. There is just so much stuff to work on there. Anyway, I just moved to the Denver area so if you ever want to go climbing just email me or send me a pm. And thanks again for the help.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook