Premier Sponsor:

the finger
Deleted

Mar 11, 2003, 9:21 PM
Post #1 of 13 (2595 views)
Shortcut

Funky Rock Rings moves
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey!

I have some rock rings and they are pretty sweet. i get quite a good result off them.

Does anyone have any ideas for specific excersises not mentioned in the metolious bumf that would help pump up the power endurance i'm lacking?

i climb sport around 5.11 but often just run out of gas on long routes although i can boulder harder than that.

thoughts?

Cheers!

collegekid

Mar 11, 2003, 9:36 PM
Post #2 of 13 (2595 views)
Shortcut

Funky Rock Rings moves [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

try hanging for extended periods of time...NOT by both arms though.
for example: hang on each arm for 15 seconds at a time (on the jugs), but don't get back on your feet to rest. Just keep switching hands every 15 seconds (or whatever time suits you). this way, any time you are resting one arm, you are working the other. It's really easy to get pumped out this way (i've tried it on my hang board).

the finger
Deleted

Mar 11, 2003, 10:28 PM
Post #3 of 13 (2595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Far out collegekid. You must be very hard. I have just been outside on the rings and did the 10min metolious workout. i am blasted. That hanging on alternate one arms would pump me silly - something i usually only do with my cams.....

the feeling these alternate hangs would bring on is exactly what i am getting that stops me in my tracks on routes. i will start immedietly.

Cheers bro!

Also - whenever i try the L-Hangs on my rings i can't get my legs right out as my back hurts too much. am i just weak? do i need stronger abs to begin with to get my legs right out. it is bloody hard.

funktimonious

Mar 11, 2003, 10:47 PM
Post #4 of 13 (2595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yo,
My back also gets tweaked when doing specifice moves on the rings (lower back).
Have you been doing the stagered-grip pull ups? I like those. Also, if you're sure they won't fall down, i like to climb from the bottom pockets up to the top, then try to go back down. So far i've only been able to go up.

cloudbreak

Mar 11, 2003, 10:50 PM
Post #5 of 13 (2595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

...the L-hangs kick my ass!!!! By the 3rd one I can barely keep my legs up. As far as alternative exercises, I'll go up into a lock-off and then slowly reach a foot out and try to touch something...like the top of a bookshelf, or a certain spot on the wall, etc, hold it for a second, and then slowly bring my foot back down. Then do the same for the other foot. This will rip your abs up. Hopefully that all made sense. My roomie thinks I practicing Jacky Chan moves or something, but she don't climb!!

the finger
Deleted

Mar 13, 2003, 12:55 PM
Post #6 of 13 (2595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i tried to do the climbing up and down the rings (like tiny campus moves) but really screwed the pooch. i got all out of shape and instead of putting my fingers in the hole i hit the ring which flew up and blew out a strip light.

i was pumped and on my ass with thin glass all in my hair. had to clean it out of my chalk bag.

harsh.

like the idea about locking off and moving the feet to little targets. for unltd fun you could write things on the wall with your toe.

geez i'm sad.

moeman

Mar 13, 2003, 2:11 PM
Post #7 of 13 (2595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just do pull ups on the smallest edge that you can use until you falll off. Rest, the n repeat. That will work everything at once.

koko

Mar 13, 2003, 3:37 PM
Post #8 of 13 (2595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i can do a few L hangs but they require flexibility in the back and legs so my legs are not always perfectly straigh. stretching helps.

jakedatc

Mar 31, 2003, 6:39 AM
Post #9 of 13 (2595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Finger, your lowback pain is probably a) tight hamstrings (attach in back of hips ) b) your small stabilizing muscles in your back are burning out from not doing that before... also once your abs are stronger those will help the back stabilize

keep at it!

Jake

melekzek

Apr 2, 2003, 11:51 PM
Post #10 of 13 (2595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I do weighted pullups. It is easy to make a pyramid workout with the rock rings without changing the weight.
I start with the jugs, 5 pullups
Second set is on the large edge, 4 pullups with the same weight
Third set is on the 2. edge, 3 pullups with the same weight
etc...
Adjust the weight such that you fail exactly at the desired number of pullups, but be aware, and warm up before that

col_sanderz

Apr 3, 2003, 12:29 AM
Post #11 of 13 (2595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

At VE Duluth, we have a pair of rings too. However there is a little trick. The Rings are attatched to a rope rig above. By doing so the rings move around (Up, down, back and forth) and make for very interesting and fun training bits. One of my favorites is to hang off the low pockets with both hands and bump up to the jugs. But because the rings are anchored onto the rope letting go of one to move the hand up causes that ring to rocket upward. After a few tries one can get the timing just right to let go and campus up with the ring barely moving!! Also since the rings are set up adjacent to a bouldering wall and the rings are anchored into rope, you can grab the jugs, get swinging and launch onto holds on the wall! Its way fun! :D

collegekid

Apr 3, 2003, 1:16 AM
Post #12 of 13 (2595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

anyone have any fun suggestions for the metolius simulator hangboard?

So far, i've done:

one arm jug hangs
timed hangs on both hands
campus-dynoing from hold to hold (from crimpers/slopers to good sloper/jugs)
trying to campus up the "ladder" of crimpers in the middle of the board
lock offs, pull ups, L-hangs, etc

what else can you do to mix it up on the simulator?

the finger
Deleted

Apr 3, 2003, 1:24 PM
Post #13 of 13 (2595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i can now do one arm lock offs (bounce off the deck to start as i am too weak to pulloff) for a few seconds then slowly reach out with the other hand, get the other jug and pull into a one arm lock with that one, letting go of the other.

makes me feel like a total hero. naturally my climbing still hasn't improved but at least i am my own garage hero. nice.

those alternate one arm hangs give me a proper blasting too. good excersise.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook