RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - West Coast

Premier Sponsor:

aelita

Apr 28, 2003, 8:31 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1749 views)
Shortcut

Joshua Tree - May 18th
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Yo,

A couple of friends and I are coming out to So. Cal fromt he east coast (finally) and want to go to Joshua Tree on Sunday, May 18th (before we head up to Bishop and Mammoth on the 20th). Anyone around that would be willing to show us some stuff there? I used to live in So Cal for about a decade but never actually climbed at JT. Looking for sport and bouldering since none of us lead trad (yet - still collecting a rack and learning to place gear :wink: ). If anyone is up for a quick one-day trip to JT that Sunday please please lemme know :)

Cheers

ael

enigma

Apr 28, 2003, 9:02 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1749 views)
Shortcut

Re: Joshua Tree - May 18th [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yo,

A couple of friends and I are coming out to So. Cal fromt he east coast (finally) and want to go to Joshua Tree on Sunday, May 18th (before we head up to Bishop and Mammoth on the 20th). Anyone around that would be willing to show us some stuff there? I used to live in So Cal for about a decade but never actually climbed at JT. Looking for sport and bouldering since none of us lead trad (yet - still collecting a rack and learning to place gear :wink: ). If anyone is up for a quick one-day trip to JT that Sunday please please lemme know :)

Cheers

ael

Go to Nomad Ventures Climbing store on the 62 hwy,and get a book on bouldering in J.Tree.The people who work there are very helpful and know the area well. The sport routes are mostly run-out in Hidden Valley.
Generally there are easier routes in Indian Cove area, but it might be uncomfortably hotter, there. You will probably need some big gear to set up natural anchors as well; and don't forget extra webbing and biners.
Bouldering is viable option, since there's quite alot of it in J.Tree, but trad is really what the area is known for. 8)

pirateclimber

Apr 28, 2003, 9:13 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1749 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

J-tree is has been getting warm and will be even more so in the next few weeks. May I suggest skipping every other bolt in preparation for J-tree "sport" routes. And bring gear for anchors, just in case.

Better yet... may I suggest Williamson Rock in our local Mtns. Sounds like it may be more suited to what you are looking for.

fredbob

May 6, 2003, 6:52 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1749 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yo,

A couple of friends and I are coming out to So. Cal fromt he east coast (finally) and want to go to Joshua Tree on Sunday, May 18th (before we head up to Bishop and Mammoth on the 20th)....... Looking for sport and bouldering since none of us lead trad. l

Check out the brand new bouldering guide to Joshua Tree by Robert Miramontes. Nearly 300 pages, with over 300 photos, and over 1000 problems. Plenty to keep you busy for a long time. V ratings and 1 to 5 star quality (so you won't waste time on junk problems).

Weather has been cooler so far in April and May than during January, though it is late in the season. If cooler conditions hold, definitely head to Josh.

Williamson is crowded, pretty chossy, with ropes and gumbies hanging on everthing; an outdoor gym scene. Great when weather is hot and you've nowhere else to go, or if you like that kind of thing. But after you've done everything, and run into the same people posing on the same routes for the 500th time, well, it gets pretty old. And there is no bouldering.

yjchang

May 6, 2003, 10:29 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1749 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Will you climb at Owens or boulder at Bishop during Memorial weekend? Mind if another 1st timer to Bishop climb with you guys? :?

Rex

aelita

May 6, 2003, 10:43 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1749 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We are going to be in Bishop/Mammoth third week of may, not Memorial weekend, but I am sure you will find plenty of people waiting in line to fall off the first move on the Mandala during the Memorial weekend :) At least that's what it looked like when a friend of mine was there over spring break :)

cheers,

ael

yjchang

May 6, 2003, 11:03 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1749 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oooohhh.. :( but thanks.

Have a good time to all of you.

Rex

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - West Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook