Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

jimmyjamal

Aug 26, 2003, 7:46 AM
Post #101 of 238 (39260 views)
Shortcut

Re: Pics of "hotties" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i was not implying that, and i wouldn't have a clue as to what you look like.

koto

Aug 26, 2003, 8:09 AM
Post #102 of 238 (39260 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can see how my above post may appear to be arrogant, and for that I apologise, I did not intend as much - sorry. Unfair? Possibly. Judgemental? Possibly. But my comment was not made from reading only this thread, it was one that I have formed through my time spent on this website. It was formed after observing her posts, reactions to other people's posts, her comments on photos etc. I don't know her, but I'm sure she has a wonderful, unique outlook on life and that's great. What I find irritating is that she regularly draws attention to herself in her comments. Yes, I know that these forums are all about sharing our experiences and so on, but sometimes things are said that are annoying. Note that I said "annoying," a word that I feel isn't that strong, I didn't say "I want to rip her fucking head off" or anything as harsh as that, I was just stating what I think. Isn't that the point of these forums? Stating our thoughts? Daisyfay, you tell me to deal with it. Yep, I should and generally do, but sometimes CS just makes me SO ANGRY!!!! ( :P ) I just couldn't help it! [/attempt]. Adversely I could respond that the issue of this thread is pointless, and people should just deal with it. But I do actually believe that some men's comments on this sight are innappropriate (I too squirm at some of the things said by blokes about women in some photos), and I did already state CS had some valid points.

CS I'm sure doesn't really give a damn about what some dude on the internet. living thousands of miles away thinks of her. It was merely my observations, 0.02c if you will.

Please, peace.

apeman

Aug 26, 2003, 8:14 AM
Post #103 of 238 (39260 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yo, some dude said I'm so hairy I look like an ape in one of the pictures roughster posted of me. That's not only not about my climbing, but it's a bit insulting.
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...n=Show&PhotoID=11474
As you can see, I just decided it would make a good username rather than a good excuse to complain.
And if you don't think men are objectified as much as women, then just take a look in your local non-rock climbing gym. Most have more men than women, and oftentimes the men do crazy stuff like take creatine or steroids to make their muscles even puffier.

koto

Aug 26, 2003, 8:24 AM
Post #104 of 238 (39260 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Could you consider that maybe you just don't relate to self and expression in the same way? Peace to you. Namaste.

Yes, I can consider that. When I said that I'm sure she has a wonderful, unique outlook on life as you stated, I think that I was considering that. Ummm... and could you please tell me what "Namaste" means? :oops:

koto

Aug 26, 2003, 8:38 AM
Post #105 of 238 (39260 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for that, I just looked it up and yeah, basically what you said, interesting.

:D Seth.

scuclimber

Aug 26, 2003, 8:46 AM
Post #106 of 238 (39260 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmm... here is a (short) list of the things I've learned from this thread: 1) Women (understandably) don't like lewd comments directed at themselves or other women; 2) (Many) guys just say something like, "This is how it is and how's it's always been, so deal with it." :roll: ; 3) Aforementioned comment generally isn't made by people who have felt sexually threatened or cheapened by a member of the opposite sex; 4) Jono likes to cuss a lot and insult many people he's never even met and men in general, even though he is a male (doesn't make much sense to insult yourself, even though it seems you consider yourself the only exception to your insults :roll: ); 5) All it takes is a little surgery man (sorry, I couldn't help to throw a jibe in there :P ); 6) Some people don't know a "group" entails more than one of an object and one object is defined as an "individual"; 7) My stance on this issue is this, "If the poster or individual subject of the photos we've been dicussing feels harassed, cheapened, teased, battered, jeered at, stared at like a piece of meat, etc etc, then that person should PM a mod or admin and ask to have the comment removed." I don't think that this is how it should be, I wish that all guys could be civil and avoid the offensive comments, but unfortunately some can't. I don't think that when I say, "That's a great pic! That girl is gorgeous!" I'm saying anything offensive. Many of us yuppies (young upwardly mobile [if you didn't get my pun then you are all @$$hole males who treat women like dirt! :twisted: ]) dream of having girlfriends who climb. So yeah... I think I've ranted enough. And yes, I think the comments do get old, even the "respectful beauty-appreciating" ones, but what can you do? I think that PMing a mod is the best solution.

Peace,
Colin

Partner rrrADAM

Aug 26, 2003, 11:44 AM
Post #107 of 238 (39260 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We have some imature users, just as their are imature guys who think that whistling at a chick is gonna get them laid. Just as the word "hotties" in the title seems to draw them in like moths to a flame. :roll:

And you gotta face it... All (100%) of us men are pigs. The trick is to find the <3% who are cute and pink with a curly tail out of the >97% of us who are just swine. :wink:

crag

Aug 26, 2003, 12:56 PM
Post #108 of 238 (39260 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
And you gotta face it... All (100%) of us men are pigs. The trick is to find the <3% who are cute and pink with a curly tail out of the >97% of us who are just swine. :wink:

Face it men, straight & gay, are nothing but a dick dragging around a brain, but somebody had to be the keeper of the penis.

holmeslovesguinness

Aug 26, 2003, 2:08 PM
Post #109 of 238 (39260 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wait - do you hear that? It's the world's tiniest violin playing a sad, sad tune for all those poor, hot, hard climbing women whose images have been so wrongly objectified on this site :P

shortfatoldguy

Aug 26, 2003, 2:22 PM
Post #110 of 238 (39260 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Um, late to the party here, but...a favor?

Could, ah, somebody please tell me the meaning of the term "Auto-10"?

Thanks so much,
ShortFatOlderallthetimeGuy

(But I've lost 15 pounds! How f*cking cool is that?! You can see my ribs now! ...sometimes. If I post a pic, will someone *please* make lewd comments?? It's been so long...)

reborne

Aug 26, 2003, 2:40 PM
Post #111 of 238 (39260 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I saw your thread on the quote catcalls, so i looked at your profile after you tottally bagged on yourself. Anyway as a result i have two questions for you. One your a tottal hottie yourself why did you talk like you werent.(sorry had to say it, laugh at the audacity of it its ok)

Two if you so pure about putting pictures up not to be objectified but to display climbing, why title your pics with names like " How Super is your Crack?" (i know the route is suppercrack)

reborne

Aug 26, 2003, 2:43 PM
Post #112 of 238 (39260 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hill,

First I consider myself a feminist, who revels in the power we women have. But one of the wonderful (though sometimes a little embarassing) powers we have is to reduce grown men to drooling fools.:lol:

All these women are impressive climbers, out pulling down hard on things some of us can only dream of. That alone makes them Hot. Why not say so. Now that is not to validate silly drooling men, but I like to think most of them are commenting on the fact that they love to see women climbing hard. None of this invalidates the climbing these women are doing, and there are just as many comments if not more on their impressive climbing as on their looks.

now heres an intelligent person

reborne

Aug 26, 2003, 2:50 PM
Post #113 of 238 (39260 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ok i went back and read the comments on the photos you showed your right it goes a little over the line

mother_sheep

Aug 26, 2003, 2:50 PM
Post #114 of 238 (39260 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Confucious says chicks who post pictures of themselves on the Net climbing in barely any clothes should not whine when man make comment about woody.

What do you expect to see in the comments? "I can't really see the rock or the route because your half naked body is covering it up but I'm sure its a really great climb. Good job!"

Granted this is not always the case. Objectification is wrong. A lot of the shots on this site are not deserving of it. Some are out right asking for it though. You put your picture(s) out there for the world to see and comment on and its pretty much a given that some people are going to be a$$es and some people are going to give you the feedback you were hoping for.

Get thicker skin!!!!

timstich

Aug 26, 2003, 2:58 PM
Post #115 of 238 (39260 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i'm confused...did i stumble into the ladies room by mistake?

is that kalcario over there powdering his nose?

is that ronamick adjusting his hose?

and who is the dood talking about his nosejob?

i must be asleep, pinch me.....but please, not on the ass.

Hah! No, it's something else. Hands down, the reason I have taken photos lately of women is plain and simple. I have more than enough photos of my male climbing companions.

timstich

Aug 26, 2003, 3:13 PM
Post #116 of 238 (39260 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Crass comments does nothing to encourage the posting of these sorts of pics.

A very good point Phil, and one you men and (very occasional women) given to delivering these comments should take to heart. There is such a thing as ettiquete and it serves many functions other than keeping people from getting bent out of shape. If you've ever been to a large caver party with a clothing optional hot tub, you will see a distinct absence of lewd comments, leering, and weird vibes. And no grab-assing. There's a code of behavior that makes the hot tub scene work and be fun for all those concerned. Those too stupid to learn the code or do as the Roman's do deminish the fun, drive away the meek newcomers, and would best just remove themselves from the mix.

Now if it is the truly selfish viewpoint of "what's in it for me" you are coming from, then this appeal should strike a chord with you. Comments don't produce more of what you want to see. Best stick to comments that do bring in more photos. And you all know how to best phrase those comments. "That's a very nice photo." 'Nuff said.

maculated

Aug 26, 2003, 3:29 PM
Post #117 of 238 (39260 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I think that females should just start objectifying the photos of men. "ooohh, look at that hunk of man-meat!" "huh huh, I'd belay HIM any day!" "can that harness be any more... revealing?"

come on, do it, I dare y'all!!!

That would presuppose that there are any cute guys on this site to slather over.

OH YEAH!!!!! GOT YA THERE!! :)

timstich

Aug 26, 2003, 3:42 PM
Post #118 of 238 (39260 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I think that females should just start objectifying the photos of men. "ooohh, look at that hunk of man-meat!" "huh huh, I'd belay HIM any day!" "can that harness be any more... revealing?"

That would presuppose that there are any cute guys on this site to slather over.

I am NOT a hunk of man meat dammit! Leave me alone!!!!

http://home.earthlink.net/~timstich/melonhead.jpg

hellclimber

Aug 26, 2003, 3:43 PM
Post #119 of 238 (39260 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

You both sound like children with the vocabulary of snooty teenagers, arguing. Very entertaining :lol:

As for the real question: Moderation of comments made about the pictures: I think most of them should be left alone. Yes a lot of them are asinine but so are about half the posts made to this site. Too much censorship would drive a lot of the climbers away from the site. If the persons in the photos feel harassed then have the picture or comments deleted. If not, don't censor and keep bickering for the entertainment value. Great fun. Good thread maculated :lol:

hellclimber

maculated

Aug 26, 2003, 3:48 PM
Post #120 of 238 (39260 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hellclimber,

Not my thread, it is climbsomething's. I just took the opportunity for the first-post of the day potshot.

I always feel a bit surly coming in to work.

timstich

Aug 26, 2003, 3:52 PM
Post #121 of 238 (39260 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hellclimber,

Not my thread, it is climbsomething's. I just took the opportunity for the first-post of the day potshot.

I always feel a bit surly coming in to work.

Surly you CAN be serious?

Bwa ha ha ha!

hellclimber

Aug 26, 2003, 3:56 PM
Post #122 of 238 (39260 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hellclimber,

Not my thread, it is climbsomething's...

Oops :oops: . My sincere apologies. Well, thanks to climbsomething then. Don't stop bickering on my account. I enjoy reading about it :P

hellclimber

atg200

Aug 26, 2003, 4:07 PM
Post #123 of 238 (39260 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think a lot of the people posting these comments should be ashamed of themselves. I don't think anyone has any objection to comments that say "You are really beautiful", but the lewd nasty ones like the orgasm comment and a host of others are disgraceful. A good barometer of what is appropriate is to say only what you would if the girl's boyfriend/husband/parent was standing right there.

I don't think outright moderation is a good idea except in the very worst of cases, but if someone is uncomfortable or disgusted with a comment they should be able to raise the issue with an admin and get it fixed.

holmeslovesguinness

Aug 26, 2003, 4:20 PM
Post #124 of 238 (39260 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
A good barometer of what is appropriate is to say only what you would if the girl's boyfriend/husband/parent was standing right there.

Let's be realistic - this is the INTERNET - I think we've pretty well established the fact that people use this medium to make comments that they would never actually say to someone's face. Some of the sexist comments are obviously over the line (most come across as pretty harmless to me), but look at some of the personal attacks and foul language that are bandied about in almost any controversial thread. You definitely have to take the good with the bad around here.

bertman

Aug 26, 2003, 4:25 PM
Post #125 of 238 (39260 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
"I just had an orgasm," THat comment is quite out of line boys....Really :roll:

Who says they meant it was because of the picture? Maybe they just... ehh... were doing something else, and just sat at the computer, and were so happy they just had to shout it from a mountaintop? Maybe it was a girl who made that comment? Ya just never know :P

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook