Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

nikdemeis

Oct 3, 2003, 1:21 AM
Post #1 of 62 (5633 views)
Shortcut

Vegetarian Climber and nutrition?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was wondering if anyone has read anything about vegetarian nutrition for climbers? I know there a book out about nutrition for climbers (i haven't read it) but i'm guessing it doesn't touch on the subject. If it does let me know or if you have any sources or information please post

thanks
nik

jt512

Oct 3, 2003, 1:28 AM
Post #2 of 62 (5633 views)
Shortcut

Re: Vegetarian Climber and nutrition? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I was wondering if anyone has read anything about vegetarian nutrition for climbers? I know there a book out about nutrition for climbers (i haven't read it) but i'm guessing it doesn't touch on the subject. If it does let me know or if you have any sources or information please post

thanks
nik

I would recommend that you pick up the book The Vegetarian Way by Messina and Messina. There is a very good chapter on nutrition for vegetarian athletes. Nothing specific about rock climbing, but it shouldn't be too hard to extrapolate. I do research in a university nutrition dept, and one of my research interests is vegetarian nutrition. If you post any specific questions to this thread that I can answer, I'll be happy to respond.

-Jay

iamthewallress

Oct 3, 2003, 1:39 AM
Post #3 of 62 (5633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just try to listen to what my body is telling me that it wants to eat....sugary, fatty, protein, etc. As long as you're sure that you're getting some of all of the nutrients that a non-athlete would need and you are not gaining or loosing weight, you can pretty much count on your cravings to lead you in the right direction, IMO. (No, that doesn't mean I eat chocolate bars and potato chips every day!)

organic

Oct 3, 2003, 2:13 AM
Post #4 of 62 (5633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am a vegetarian and I think being any athlete you need plenty of vitamins in your diet. If you are not eating plenty of vegetables fresh or cooked( not frozen) and getting your protein then that is were to start. Cheese, eggs, nuts and beans, are great for protein but make sure you get those vitamins if you are always on the go then take a supplement. Also try and stay away from sugar because it ends up leaving your body seriously unsatisfied. When I am on the go I like to pick up a bean burrito from taco bell to get some great protein. Just make sure your diet is balanced like anyone else and I think that vegetarians bodies are more sensitive so your body a lot of times will crave what you need!

PS. DOn't forget the BEER!

bsignorelli

Oct 3, 2003, 4:10 AM
Post #5 of 62 (5633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If you are not eating plenty of vegetables fresh or cooked( not frozen)

You say not frozen but I've read/heard recently that the 'fresh' veggies we can buy in grocery stores aren't as good as the frozen ones (vitamin and mineral wise) due to the fact that the fresh veggies were harvested long before they ripened (on the vine).

Has anyone else heard this before?

Bryan

dynoguy

Oct 3, 2003, 4:39 AM
Post #6 of 62 (5633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just admit what you are (an omnivore) and eat meat!

organic

Oct 3, 2003, 5:00 AM
Post #7 of 62 (5633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know how true that is, I think the process of freezing and then reheating destroys a lot of the vitamins in vegetables. Also vegetables do not need to be attached to the plant to ripen, exactly why bannanas change colors. Ripening is more of a hormone process of the object in question than anything. The problem is that not cooking your vegetetables right will cause chemical reactions and breakdown of nutrients which change in temperature does, including freezing I am sure. Fresh vegetables on the other hand contain all the nutrients they will at their peak.

jansuw

Oct 3, 2003, 6:04 AM
Post #8 of 62 (5633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My sister is a vegan, and basically, learn to like tofu! The only thing you wouldn't be getting if you cut away meat from your diet is protein. Since you're eating tons of veggies, you're more likely to actually get all the vitamins and minerals you need. If you cut away ALL animal products (like my sister) make sure you get enough calcium. Calcium pills, broccoli(?) and some soy products will have calcium. I can't really think about anything that you should be worried about expect getting enough protein and calcium, since those are the things that people usuall get from animal products. There was a study a while ago that had to do with bonedensity and eating, and vegetarians and vegans lost far less bone over time. Something to do with sulphur in meats staying in your blood stream and bonding with the bone. I'm not sure of the integrity of the information, but if anyone knows what I'm talking about, they could link to it.

dirko

Oct 3, 2003, 6:30 AM
Post #9 of 62 (5633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have been veggie as long as I have climbed, 5+ years.

In my experience, it's pretty hard to get as much protein as a meat-eater. Don't worry though, you can still get enough. I strive to have a balanced diet, and generally avoid sugary and fatty foods in excess.

I cannot give real nutritional advice since I am not qualified in that area, but I can give you some more basic advice. If you tired easily or are sore for days after your climbing workouts, your diet needs tweaking.

Also, don't eat (or not eat) out of guilt. Some weeks, I eat for $4 a day, some days I eat $10 of food. When I am having an on day, I don't sweat how much I am eating. I think as a vegetarian I snack more. Just make sure you don't eat because of boredom or stress.

the_dude

Oct 3, 2003, 6:30 AM
Post #10 of 62 (5633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The only thing you wouldn't be getting if you cut away meat from your diet is protein.
What about omega 3 and omega 6s?

enigma

Oct 3, 2003, 8:13 AM
Post #11 of 62 (5633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are also many supplements such as protein drinks which contain plenty of nutrition for the vegetarian diets.
:idea:

Besides its easier to digest than meat . :idea:

Partner justin

Oct 3, 2003, 11:53 AM
Post #12 of 62 (5633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think just the fact that all these q's are being discussed is a good sign. I realise that as a vegi there may be a tendency to overlook certain nutrients, however in my experience vegi's are a lot more diet conscious. The majority of my omnivorous compadres wouldn't know what an essential fatty acid was, if their intake is acceptable- it's largely coincidental and fluctuates radically. With regards to "admit you're an omnivore", opportunistic hunter-gatherer seems more accurate.

adamwvt

Oct 3, 2003, 12:34 PM
Post #13 of 62 (5633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Great Point Dark Star.

lunatixx

Oct 3, 2003, 12:40 PM
Post #14 of 62 (5633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you must know that some vegetables are better when they are cooked, for example, carrots should never be eaten raw neither without oil or some sort, they irritate your stomach and causes cramps. also i think its important to eat like human beings , i overkilled my stomach by eating only fresh vegetables, my digestion became to slow and i lost a lot of energy for no good reasons. the best food you can get if you want to be a veggie and do a lot of sports, is nuts and cereals that will stay in your body, like pasta...

neomagi

Nov 8, 2003, 8:33 PM
Post #15 of 62 (5633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i am a vegan climber, and very focused on my diet. my girlfriend and one of my climbing partners are both vegan's as well.

when training i make sure i get the nutrition i need. i have a non-soy blend protein shake, take my multi-vitamin and calcium with zinc & magnesium with it. that way i know i have a good base. i am also a granola kid. i love granola, which i typically eat for 2 meals a day. i also tend to eat small portions and 4-6 meals a day. during heavier training, that size increases to about the size of everyone elses meals (4500 cal / day).

i cut animal products out of my system to be able to train harder. my recovery time dropped dramatically and now i can train hard 4-5 / week.

the point about frozen, fresh, cooked is relevant to enzymes. cooking kills the enzymes (i think above 117degrees), making your body produce the enzymes to digest the food properly. there are a lot of grains such as rice which always eat cooked, don t know if that is helpful or harmful.

i also take breaks in my training, and when i take those breaks, i also take breaks in my supplements. that way my entire body gets to detox and rest.

jansuw

Nov 8, 2003, 9:39 PM
Post #16 of 62 (5633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
The only thing you wouldn't be getting if you cut away meat from your diet is protein.
What about omega 3 and omega 6s?

Well, to be honest, i didnt even know what that was, until I googled it! :oops:

http://www.omega-3info.com/ says, "Modern Western diets are therefore deficient in omega-3 fatty acids..." so it's not just vegans/vegetarians. Another part of the site (click under Changing Diets and Lifestyles) states, "For people who cannot contemplate eating fish, the omega-3s must come from alpha-linolenic acid (ALA This can be achieved by increasing intake of omega-3 rich foodssuch as flaxseed (linseed) oil, rapeseed (canola) oil, chia seeds, walnuts and walnut oil, and dark green leafy vegetables; it is vital that the intake of omega-6 fatty acids is kept in balance by closely monitoring vegetable oils and yellow fats (vegetable margarines made from sunflower/safflower oils) in the diet."

Sounds to me like a vegetarian would be better off anyway? Who here eats fish daily? I think most people (atleast in western countries, exclude Alaskans and Norwegians :wink:) probably eat way more red meat and chicken. If you meet a vegan/vegetarian that doesnt eat 'dark green leafy vegetables' and seeds and nuts, then I wonder what they DO eat...

But thank you for bringing that up, because I honestly didnt even think about them, probably because I cant recall ever hearing the name.

neomagi

Nov 8, 2003, 11:43 PM
Post #17 of 62 (5633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

flax seeds are a very easy way to get the omega. one of the same people who make one of the flax seed oils, also make a butter style spread, you can find more infohere. it is pretty easy to mix it into anything.

you can also use flax seeds similar to sesame seeds.

bbziger

Nov 9, 2003, 12:02 AM
Post #18 of 62 (5633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been a vegetarian since I was 15. So it's been about 17 years now that I haven't eaten meat. I was a complete vegan for four of those years, but now I include dairy in my diet. I'm very active... I run, lift weights, climb, surf, and hike. I've never had problems with any sort of vitamin, nutrient, or protein deficiency. I'm healthy and always have a lot of energy.

How do I make sure I get adequate nutrition? It's simple. Eat varied. Eat sensibly. That should apply to vegetarians and meat-eaters alike. I don't spend time obsessing about whether I'm missing this or that nutrient, or if my protein would be more complete if I eat rice with my beans. I just eat a varied diet, don't base my diet on junk food, and know that I'll ultimately get what I need.

Actually I'll contradict myself right now. I do take one "supplement" -- a spoonful of flax seed oil in the morning with breakfast. That's for the Omega-3 fatty acids, something that's often lacking for both veggies and non-veggies. The whole Omega-3 thing is one of the few trendy health fads that actually has some legitimate health benefits.

ronamick

Nov 9, 2003, 2:01 AM
Post #19 of 62 (5633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The best thing to do is start eating animals right away to get big 'n strong.

full-time-climb
Deleted

Nov 9, 2003, 3:55 AM
Post #20 of 62 (5633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks bbziger. I live a similar lifestyle. Not nearly as long as you have. Our biggest health hazard is one of "Abundance". Anyone you know that has gone to a doctor ever for a lack of anything? Listen to your body. It is so wise. Don't go by the data because you will find it supports all sides. The truth is what "you decide it is".

John

If your interested in social issues there is a video out called "Diet for a New America".

twiz

Nov 9, 2003, 4:05 PM
Post #21 of 62 (5633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

an important vitamin often missing from a vegetarian diet are the B's.
Try taking a B-complex and B-12 in addition to any multivitamins you take.

True story...
Ive been a vegetarian for about 17/18yrs.
I recently injured myself climbing.
I was told by a therapist who works with athletes and climbs himself that the injury, which was spreading from one location to another (back - neck - shoulder) was a sign of missing important minerals/vitamins in my diet. He didnt know I was a vegetarian. When I offered that information he suggested I take high doses of vitamin B complex AND B-12. He even recommended getting my adrenals tested and possibly an injection to 'refill'.

I continued to rest (which hadnt done much for the injury at this point), included 2 doses of B12 a day in addition ot my multi and B complex. I also included magnesium/zinc at a seperate time of day from calcium (I hear it absorbs better that way?). I also payed close attention to my diet to make sure I was doing all I could to make it well balanced.

Sure enough...a week later I was all better!
Im not implying that was the magic cure. Rather a key piece I was missing to recover. All the ice, heat, massage, rest, ibuprofin, etc did nothing to improve the injury until I focused on getting in the proper nutrients (and then some).

Omega-3 is something which has been highly recommended to me thru Fish oil (gag). One of these days I might get the guts up to try it. Someone on this thread said they thought of all people vegetarians should get more of it than non vegetarians. Your logic is curious. I can speculate as to why I disagree....instead I think I will read up on it a bit more, so I can get my facts straight. If I remember I will post what I find out.

cheers!

bbziger

Nov 9, 2003, 4:39 PM
Post #22 of 62 (5633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
an important vitamin often missing from a vegetarian diet are the B's.
Try taking a B-complex and B-12 in addition to any multivitamins you take.

The only vitamin that might be missing from a healthy vegan diet is B-12. It is found naturally in meat, dairy, and eggs. All the other B vitamins are found in vegetable sources. A vegetarian who eats a healthy varied diet that includes dairy and/or eggs should not be deficient in the Bs. However, even a complete vegan can get B-12 through fortified cereals or by taking a one-a-day multivitamin, which should include 100 percent of the RDA of all the B vitamins. There are potential health risks in taking higher doses of B-12. More is not always better.

full-time-climb
Deleted

Nov 10, 2003, 5:44 PM
Post #23 of 62 (5633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It has become so easy to be a vegitarian. Especially if you are a "Seagon"...vegetarian that eats seafood. Once we get to a level of discussing possible vitamin shortcomings we are so far ahead of the genaral population on the health track that it's not even funny.
I have a diet diffeciant in number of climbing days this week.
After moving from omnivore to seagan I went from solid 10 climber trying 11's to a solid 11 climber trying 12's. What a great thing.
I also really like being a vegetarian because of the statment it makes about who I am being. It is such an important social statement to me.
John

jt512

Nov 10, 2003, 5:53 PM
Post #24 of 62 (5633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Thanks bbziger. I live a similar lifestyle. Not nearly as long as you have. Our biggest health hazard is one of "Abundance". Anyone you know that has gone to a doctor ever for a lack of anything?

You mean aside from vegans with vitamin B12 deficiency, vegetarian women with iron deficiency, anorexics with protein-calorie malnutrition, and post-menopausal women with osteoporosis?

-Jay

dynoguy

Nov 10, 2003, 6:08 PM
Post #25 of 62 (5633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Vegetarian is an old Indian word for bad hunter
:lol: :lol:
I saw this as someones signature

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook