RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

bdawg

Oct 16, 2003, 5:24 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1244 views)
Shortcut

Wrist Injury question...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Yesterday I was climbing on an overhung problem and my tendons were bugging me a little bit. I ignored it because every so often they will do that, but as I was climbing i got to a hold where my right hand took all my weight then all of a sudden my hand totally gave out. I could not grip anything the rest of the day. Now my hand can't even make a fist, not even halfway. Its also a little swollen in the center.

Has anyone else had anything like this happen? Do you think I need to see a doctor? How long of a break from climbing do you think I will need to take? Thanks for the help

deleted
Deleted

Oct 21, 2003, 9:55 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1231 views)
Shortcut

Re: Wrist Injury question... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote:672e47a65c="bdawg"]I could not grip anything the rest of the day. Now my hand can't even make a fist, not even halfway. Its also a little swollen in the center.

Has anyone else had anything like this happen? Do you think I need to see a doctor?[/quote:672e47a65c]

yeah, that used to happen to me a lot back when i was fourteen. don't go to a doctor. he'll rat on you to your mom.

enanubis

Oct 21, 2003, 10:11 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1244 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes I think, I was climbing a few weeks ago, I pulling up on a matched horizontal crack for a hand foot match. It felt like my wrist popped out of the socket. I taped it and was able to climb a grade lower though. I tried to take it easy and it has seemed to help. Although I really pushed myself at a comp last weekend and it is acting up again. If you have health insurance I would recommend going to the Doc just incase.

andypro

Oct 21, 2003, 10:54 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1244 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like a dislocation. For your sake I would hope so. If you tore tendons, they may heal, but without treatment theyw ill only get worse. If you tore ligaments, your seriously screwed. That's what I did, and it tooks 6 months of surgery to get usable function back. See a doctor. It's better safe than sorry.

rockclimbr

Oct 21, 2003, 11:12 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1244 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have had three broken wrists and have never had this type of injury...definetely see a doctor. Its worth it to find out what happened to your wrist.

overlord

Oct 22, 2003, 1:26 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1244 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

1. if its your hand thats swollen:
In reply to:
Now my hand can't even make a fist, not even halfway. Its also a little swollen in the center.

you should go to a doctor ASAP. and PRAY its just a dislocation (quite a few bones could get dislocated), but IMHO its probably BAD news, like a torn tendon.

2. learn how much your tendons can bare so you can let go of the hold next time you reach the tearing spot. believe me, its better to have a few bruises than torn tendons.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook