Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

veganclimbr

Nov 5, 2003, 10:55 PM
Post #1 of 61 (7814 views)
Shortcut

Evolve shoes
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I'm in the market for some new shoes and have been hearing good things about Evolves line. Has anyone try'd these?

watersprite

Nov 5, 2003, 11:06 PM
Post #2 of 61 (7814 views)
Shortcut

Re: Evolve shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a pair - Brian sent me two pair - I kept one, sent one back. Very nice of them to do on trust.
For $80, you can't go wrong. But the ones I kept are too small, and I have a corn from the top of the shoe rubbing. Basically I can't wear them, but you can try them and if they don't fit, they'll take a return.

cloudbreak

Nov 5, 2003, 11:16 PM
Post #3 of 61 (7814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They ROCK!!!

I've climbed exclusively in the Anasazi Velcros and Lace-ups for nearly two years. Recently, I tried out the Bandits and Kaos, and both were great.....ended up buying the Bandits.

So, I've climbed in them for the past two weeks solid and love them. For the price, quality, and performance, you can't beat them. I'll never go back to Five-Ten.

Marc

moabbeth

Nov 5, 2003, 11:21 PM
Post #4 of 61 (7814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got a pair of the Bandits and I LOVE THEM!!! Got them right before I went back to Moab, used them extensively out there. They performed great on the sandstone. I didn't put my Mythos on once the entire trip, used the Bandits exclusively. Love the toe, it's not as rounded as my Mythos but it isn't pinchy like a lot of more pointed top shoes are on me (Anasazi's, etc). They worked great on the cracks, on edging, I was really impressed.

I'm using them in Joshua Tree since I'm back here now. I still haven't put the Mythos back on yet...the Bandits have done me right! They're doing even better on granite than they did on sandstone. They're definitely worth getting a pair.

sojourner

Nov 5, 2003, 11:43 PM
Post #5 of 61 (7814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i got evolve shoes about a month ago and really love them. just make sure that you get the right size-evolve shoes DON'T run small. so whatever your shoe size is, your evolve size will be very similar if not identical. I have size 12.5 shoes(U.S.), and i have 12.5 evolves-the velcro Kaos model. they take awhile to be broken in, but once they are, it feels like a second foot. one word of caution-if you have really skinny feet they might not be the best. i have to really crank the velcro straps to secure my feet in these shoes, but i have abnormally skinny and long feet. other than that, i'm a fan. good luck!!

sojourner

dlintz

Nov 5, 2003, 11:49 PM
Post #6 of 61 (7814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I submitted a review of the Kaos last week. I completely agree with sojourner's comments about sizing. I'm a 10.5 street shoe size and bought 10.5 Kaoses. Anything smaller and I wouldn't be able to wear them. They'll mold to your feet but don't count on them stretching.

The Kaoses fit my wide feet perfectly. Definitely a good shoe and a great company. Their customer support is top notch.

climbs4fun

Nov 5, 2003, 11:55 PM
Post #7 of 61 (7814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I LOVE my kaos! They are soooooo awesome! I was a 5.10 junkie until this shoe!. They do everything better and have way better support! Everybody here is right though. Do NOT buy these shoes small!

Partner rrrADAM

Nov 5, 2003, 11:57 PM
Post #8 of 61 (7814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got all his shoes and use them exclusively now... In fact I have 9 mairs of Five-Tens in a box in my closet that haven't been used in almost a year.

climb_plastic

Nov 6, 2003, 12:29 AM
Post #9 of 61 (7814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So there's not much talk about the rubber itself. I want to resole my boreals at yosemitebum but I don't know if I should use the evolv rubber or stick to 5.10 rubber.

climbsomething

Nov 6, 2003, 12:30 AM
Post #10 of 61 (7814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Evolv is awesome. Awe-SOME.

I have the Bandits as well, and I can say all the same great things everybody else here is saying. They edge on a DIME, are fairly comfortable (for a climbing shoe), and hell, they even look good. The rubber is nice too, for those of you that are really hung up on that kinda thing ;) The Bandit works quite well as an all-arounder, and in particular, are awesome for the thin-edge faces at Joshua Tree. I was also a 5.10 junkie before; in fact, I am a shoe whore in general. I think I always will be ;) But my next pair of shoes will definitely be Evolvs. The upcoming women's shoes and/or the Rage slipper. heh.

veganclimbr... you'll also be glad to know they're all vegan-friendly. Also, the customer service can't be beat. Brian is a stand-up guy. I am confident you'll be satisfied with Evolvs.

climbsomething

Nov 6, 2003, 12:33 AM
Post #11 of 61 (7814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So there's not much talk about the rubber itself. I want to resole my boreals at yosemitebum but I don't know if I should use the evolv rubber or stick to 5.10 rubber.
Like I said, the rubber is good. Quite good, really. It stuck like glue on the thiiiiiiiiiiiiin faces at Joshua Tree, and if you want to test your rubber, that's a good place to do it! That said, you won't suffer any if you stick to the 5.10 rubber. Whatever works for you, but the Trax rubber is legit.

sojourner

Nov 6, 2003, 12:52 AM
Post #12 of 61 (7814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yah-about the evolv rubber, once mine were broken in, i've had no problems. it definitely took a few hours to scuff them up good enough so that the rubber was really sticky. but after that, i've been hanging on with nothing much more than my big toenail and the shoes stuck. i've noticed that the heel sticks really well-abnormally well-too. i also mentioned that i have to velcro my straps on the Kaos pretty hard to keep my skinny foot solid in the shoe: don't underestimate the lace-up models if you do have a skinny foot and the velcro won't hold for you.
but don't have any apprehensions-the Trax is great and the shoe is solid.
they also have cool stickers for the Nalgene, if you're into the Nalgene-as-sticker-billboard craze. i know i am.
i also give evolv mad props for customer service.

sojourner

climb_plastic

Nov 6, 2003, 12:58 AM
Post #13 of 61 (7814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Have you ever tried the trax rubber in the gym? My boreal rubber stuck at Jtree but it doesn't do as well as 5.10 in the gym.

realization

Nov 6, 2003, 1:01 AM
Post #14 of 61 (7814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Any Idea when the Agreesive Model "PREDATOR" Is supposed to come out, i'd really like to try that shoe out.

climbs4fun

Nov 6, 2003, 1:12 AM
Post #15 of 61 (7814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

evolve rubber is comparable to 5.10 but stickier! One of the guys that started evolve came from 5.10

climbs4fun

Nov 6, 2003, 1:13 AM
Post #16 of 61 (7814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Any Idea when the Agreesive Model "PREDATOR" Is supposed to come out, i'd really like to try that shoe out.

Tried it in the gym. Awesome shoe! Gotta love having one of their reps living here!

realization

Nov 6, 2003, 2:18 AM
Post #17 of 61 (7814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ah, climbs4fun I really want to try them! At the last comp I was at, they had reps and all the shoes, but no predators! If you have any idea, or your friend has any idea when I can expect to see them, or if they're going to be at any comps local to myself i'd really appreciate the info. THANKS!
~mike

xanx

Nov 6, 2003, 3:08 AM
Post #18 of 61 (7814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wow looks like Predator = Dragon... looks like another 5.10 knock-off a la Madrock...

just ripped a pair of my Dragons right down the side... i gotta be really careful taking them off and putting them on cause if the rip gets any bigger i won't be able to wear them...

...and yet i still order 5.10 shoes... V10 to replace these...

realization

Nov 6, 2003, 3:59 AM
Post #19 of 61 (7814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do dragons wear the same as the v10's ? I've always wanted to try on a pair of dragons, but have never found a place that sells them, but I have tried on the v10s.

watersprite

Nov 6, 2003, 5:08 PM
Post #20 of 61 (7814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I used Yosemitebum for a resole - $35. for C4 rubber. awesome job! they had a summer special - watch for the next one.

jdean

Nov 6, 2003, 5:32 PM
Post #21 of 61 (7814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Realization, the Predator will be out near the end of the year is what I am told. I am looking forward to trying them too.

Matt

fredbob

Nov 6, 2003, 5:35 PM
Post #22 of 61 (7814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like all of the Evolve shoes, but by far the Rage is their best shoe. Excellent choice for both indoor and outside. Bandit is a good all around performer. Rubber is as good as C4 IMO.

igsaisb

Nov 6, 2003, 6:02 PM
Post #23 of 61 (7814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For the Evolv Bandits - anyone tried the extra stiff midsole and/or SR toe rand options on them? Love to hear if those are worth it.

dredsovrn

Nov 6, 2003, 6:07 PM
Post #24 of 61 (7814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a pair of Rage shoes from Evolv. Great shoe. I did the same as many others. Had them send me two pair, returned the ones that didn't fit. They are great shoes. Good balance of stiky and durable in the rubber.

I had them resole my Madrock Mugens with their Trax XT5 rubber. Nice workmanship, and now they are also a great shoe.

climb_plastic

Nov 6, 2003, 7:27 PM
Post #25 of 61 (7814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's good to hear that there is another shoe player out there. This one sounds like it's a quality shoe maker too. I wish they would get out there more though. Most of the talk from people at the gym are about MadRock, 5.10, La Sportiva. Those are the shoes you see and hear about every day because they're all over the place. I've never even seen a pair of evolv in person. It's almost like a legend where all you hear are good things...but you never see it yourself. Do they really exist? Can they be that good? If they're that good then why don't I see them around? I just want to walk into REI and see them there, check them out, try them on, and if they seem good then I'd buy them.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook