Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

cjstudent

Nov 19, 2003, 4:09 PM
Post #26 of 71 (5191 views)
Shortcut

Re: Quitting Climbing...for awhile... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well after much debate, I think I'm going to take a break from serious climbing.

I recently had the revalation that I've spent every single weekend (except one) for the last 3 months climbing. Many of these weekends involved leaving on Friday afternoon, and coming home Sunday night or Monday morning. Helluva good time that's for sure.

Real life is starting to suffer though. My grades are mediocre at best, I'm so broke that it's unbelievable. And I've been on 3, count them, THREE dates in the last 3 months. Totally Unacceptable.

This weekend, I'm going to a Sorority Formal on Friday, the mall on Saturday, and Sunday is open.

(twitch twitch...pretend the lameness isin't real)

God, that's some of the lamest stuff ever, but I've got to expand my horizons a little. I've forgotten what it's like to drink while not smelling campfire smoke, and I haven't been to a party in 3 months when the music wasn't supplied by me or one of my friends with a guitar.

Urg...Return to the real world...I feel like I just got dropped off by the spaceship.

Travis

I'm in college too...and its hard to manage climbing and grades. You just have to plan, I mean grades should be most important. I work hard in school during the week so I can take my weekends for climbing or other outdoor activities. This week has been an easy week though, I will have climbed 4 out of 7 days this week. Haha. A total break from climbing might not be the answer, but slowing down might be. Don't go every weekend, don't take 3 day weekends. If you spread your climbing out it might be worth more to you, i.e. you will be looking forward to that weekend two weeks from such and such date when you can kick back and climb

But as far as the dating thing. Man if you are like me you don't want a chic thats not going to spend time in the outdoors with you, so don't waste your time at the frat parties. I have actually found several girls who I have asked to tag along with me and my climbing partner as a ice breaker first "date" Then everything went from there. I think alot of girls actually do like climbing but you can't find one who just wants to be social @ parties and stuff and not hit the outdoors.

And I think that if you have spent every weekend in the last 3 months climbing and in the outdoors it is because you choose to and like it, not that someone is making you.

So take your depart from climbing....the real world sucks...let us know when you get back.

tenn_dawg

Nov 19, 2003, 6:31 PM
Post #27 of 71 (5191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Woah nelly, people get MAD when you threaten to leave, the folks who I've never ever even talked to before are the worst!

Anyway, It's more a matter of moderation than anything. I don't think a bunch of you realize how much time I'm dedicating to pulling on rocks. I'd be willing to wager, I was up there in the 99th percentile in how much time climbers spend climbing.

When it starts getting difficult to have a conversation about something besides climbing, well, it's time to diversify a little. I ain't quitting altogether, as posts here have assumed: just stepping it back a bit.

Rest assured, even in my temporary semi-retirement, I'll still be climbing more than bumblie (hahahahaha).

I'm actually kind of excited about staying in town this weekend. I wonder what it's like in the city on the weekends?

Travis

tenn_dawg

Nov 19, 2003, 6:37 PM
Post #28 of 71 (5191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
BTW -- what size are you? I might have the perfect dress.

Do you have anything black? That's what everyone else is wearing, and it is after labor day and all...

But black makes me look pudgy, mabey I should wear vertical stripes, bu those make my butt look too small....What should I do with my hair? You should see, I got the CUTEST shoes to wear! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!

Travis

PS-As for ALL THE PM's asking for my gear....HA! I'll beat you with my #4 Camalot! (there have been 7 PM's, granted, I think only one was serious ;) )

bumblie

Nov 19, 2003, 6:53 PM
Post #29 of 71 (5191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Rest assured, even in my temporary semi-retirement, I'll still be climbing more than bumblie (hahahahaha).

That's a given. But will you be climbing bolder? :lol: :lol: :lol:

All this kickass weather we've been having since June... just remember - it won't last... it never does.

caughtinside

Nov 19, 2003, 7:21 PM
Post #30 of 71 (5191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know who these guys are who think grades in college are important. They're not. Sure, you don't want to fail classes, but no one except dorks care about your GPA 1 year after you graduate. People are interested in interesting stories about epics and ass-clenching fear!

Learn the material, ignore the grades.

joshj

Nov 19, 2003, 7:28 PM
Post #31 of 71 (5191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I don't know who these guys are who think grades in college are important. They're not. Sure, you don't want to fail classes, but no one except dorks care about your GPA 1 year after you graduate. People are interested in interesting stories about epics and ass-clenching fear!

Learn the material, ignore the grades.

I agree with this unless you're in certain fields. I just graduated in May and my grades mattered BIG-TIME.
Travis, I understand where you're coming from. My last year of school, I climbed 4 days a week in the gym (Mon-Fri) while working my butt off in class, just so that I would have my weekends free for whatever. I ended up taking a few months off this year once my gym closed. Now that I'm back, I'm better than ever, I have a better outlook than ever, and am even more addicted to the sport.
The down side? You're going to get bored quickly and you'll spend WAY too much time here on this site. :)
See ya around.
josh

iltripp

Nov 19, 2003, 7:30 PM
Post #32 of 71 (5191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Damn... I wish I could climb enough to start to feel like taking a break. I've got neither time, access, or weather for any good climbing at the moment. This real world thing is driving me nuts.

joeschmoe

Nov 19, 2003, 8:19 PM
Post #33 of 71 (5191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

as a fellow Ktown resident, i can honestly say this town is no fun on the weekend. Well unless you wanna play golf, or .... well i think all there is to do is drink. but have fun with the time off and pick up an xtra sorostitute, err chick for me ok....

bumblie

Nov 19, 2003, 8:34 PM
Post #34 of 71 (5191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's always Gatlinburg.

WOO HOOOO !!!!!

climbhigh2005

Nov 20, 2003, 1:27 AM
Post #35 of 71 (5191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey.. try living in CrossEDville... face it... the best thing to do on the weekends here if you arent a clibmer is go to Ktown... sorry but I'd much rather be climbing

tenn_dawg

Nov 20, 2003, 2:19 AM
Post #36 of 71 (5191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey.. try living in CrossEDville... face it... the best thing to do on the weekends here if you arent a clibmer is go to Ktown... sorry but I'd much rather be climbing

Well, I'm durkn.

Semi-climbing retirement is going well so far.

Gatlinburg here I come!! Nothing beats hillbilly minigolf and nascar go-carts!! YEEEEEEEEHAW!!d

joeschmoe

Nov 20, 2003, 3:16 AM
Post #37 of 71 (5191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Well, I'm durkn.

Semi-climbing retirement is going well so far.

Gatlinburg here I come!! Nothing beats hillbilly minigolf and nascar go-carts!! YEEEEEEEEHAW!!d

hell yeah, hillbilly golf rules!!! oh and don't forget the wonderful world of ober gatlinburg :P

andy_lemon

Nov 20, 2003, 6:38 PM
Post #38 of 71 (5191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Why do you feel the need to lead a "normal" life with frat parties and going to the mall?
Break norms!!!

I assure you, frat parties and going to the mall are part of a climber's lifestyle. It is totally acceptable to spend a few days here and there hanging out with the sorority chicks...

However Travis, what it sounds like you need is to take the winter off. It is going to be pretty cold anyway... spend the weekdays in the gym. spend your weekends at the sorority house. :wink:

Come back this spring.

andy_lemon

Nov 20, 2003, 6:42 PM
Post #39 of 71 (5191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gatlinburgh...

Just came back from there a couple of weeks ago... they have a new thing in town now that you, redneck boy, will enjoy. "Couter's in the Smokies!!!". That's right, you heard me... Couter off the Dukes of Hazard has his own garage in the smokies. It is more of a museum. The great thing is that when I was down, I got to meet Enos and shake hands. We hung out for awhile and talked. I found out he is coming to Evansville in a week or so and we are going out for dinner!!! Ha Ha, I kick ass.

Anyhow, check out "Hogg's and Hunnies" (the original name of "Coyote Ugly"), the Dacari bar if you have chicks, "Crawdaddies", and everybody knows "Blain's". I don't care too much for Pucker's though... too small. I think that is where all the locals hang out.

dingus

Nov 20, 2003, 6:43 PM
Post #40 of 71 (5191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

A glimpse of Dolly Parton's 70 year old tits might be a close 2nd though!

DMT

climbhigh2005

Nov 21, 2003, 2:52 AM
Post #41 of 71 (5191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Are you still going to the HP40 comp?

tenn_dawg

Nov 21, 2003, 3:08 AM
Post #42 of 71 (5191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Are you still going to the HP40 comp?

Pshaw!! Of course I'm going to the HP40 comp. Wouldn't miss it for the world.

Travis

jughead

Nov 21, 2003, 3:54 AM
Post #43 of 71 (5191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the only thing that stopped me climbing for more than a month was a broken bone and torn muscle in the same foot :shock: DONT QUIT MAN!!!! NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

climbhigh2005

Nov 21, 2003, 12:45 PM
Post #44 of 71 (5191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
the only thing that stopped me climbing for more than a month was a broken bone and torn muscle in the same foot :shock: DONT QUIT MAN!!!! NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to agree on the dont quite.... Travis you taught me everythig I know about climbing... Your like my mentor in climbing... I wouldnt know what to do without ya!! You took me on real rock for the first time ever... You were always there to push me (along with Simon, Addie, Christoph and Toni) and give me faith in myself... Some of the most fun I've ever had climbing/camping has been with you... All my friends back home get so tired of me talking about Travis ( this awesome climber).. And now I jsut dont what to do!! LOL I sound pathetic... but you really mean alot to all of us, and if you take a break from climbing, make sure its just a break!! hopefully a short one! And who cares if the only time you drink is sitting arounda campfire playing your guitar entertaining yourself( along with everyone around you)... Those are seriously some of my best memories... dude, I love ya man!!

bumblie

Nov 21, 2003, 12:58 PM
Post #45 of 71 (5191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Damn Travis, you got climber chick groupies posting up for you. It's time for you to reassess this whole "quitting climbing" nonsense.

I just figured out what the problem is.... DSB. :lol: At your age it can be deadly or at least debilitating. Take care of that DSB and get back to cragging. :wink:

calliope

Nov 23, 2003, 3:15 AM
Post #46 of 71 (5191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
BTW -- what size are you? I might have the perfect dress.

Do you have anything black? That's what everyone else is wearing, and it is after labor day and all...

But black makes me look pudgy, mabey I should wear vertical stripes, bu those make my butt look too small....What should I do with my hair? You should see, I got the CUTEST shoes to wear! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!

Travis

PS-As for ALL THE PM's asking for my gear....HA! I'll beat you with my #4 Camalot! (there have been 7 PM's, granted, I think only one was serious ;) )

Travis, sweetie, black is slimming on everyone. Good luck with your new "normal" life. Whatever that is. You're not going to do yourself any favors by getting involved with a girl who's going to pout when you do climb or come along to spend time with you and end up making the trip miserable because she got mud on her fashion tennis shoes on the approach.

But what do I know? Three dates in the last three months sounds like a great record to me.

By the way, is anyone else tired of all the whining about there not being many girls who climb?

passthepitonspete

Nov 23, 2003, 3:47 AM
Post #47 of 71 (5191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dr. Piton quits climbing every November, sits around his computer all winter telling other people how to do it, then steps off the couch at the base of El Cap sometime in May, and climbs it [after finding someone else to carry his gear to the base].

However, this being said,

your comments are some of the lamest-ass words I have ever seen you write!

I think I'm going to puke.

I predict your "retirement" will last no more than a few weekends. And if it does, you really are a lame-ass. Have fun at the mall, dude.

Shut up and climb. Sheesh.

tenn_dawg

Nov 23, 2003, 4:29 AM
Post #48 of 71 (5191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Travis, sweetie, black is slimming on everyone. Good luck with your new "normal" life. Whatever that is. You're not going to do yourself any favors by getting involved with a girl who's going to pout when you do climb or come along to spend time with you and end up making the trip miserable because she got mud on her fashion tennis shoes on the approach.

But what do I know? Three dates in the last three months sounds like a great record to me.

By the way, is anyone else tired of all the whining about there not being many girls who climb?

Damn, a brutha can't take a few weeks off without everyone guilt tripping him. I MUST graduate school!! Must must must, and soon. If I don't do it now, I'll never do it.

AND,

I MUST go out on more dates. I like dating, I like girls, they make me happy. They smell good, and look pretty. I miss them!

I really like climbing too, but I've taken it to an extreme so much that it is starting to hurt other areas of my life. It's kind of like a big old juicy chocloate cake: That damn thing tastes really good. So good that you eat it all the time, you spend all your free time making cakes, and eating them. You learn how to make different kinds of chocloate cakes, and eat them just as fast as you make them. You dump your significant other because they are cutting into your cake eating time, and are criticizing you about how it's ruining your relationship.

You eat ten chocloate cakes a week, and you're happy as a clam.

But then you notice that you are starting to get fat. You don't feel that good because all you have been eating is sugar. You haven't been able to get a date because you are so fat, and spend so much time eating and baking.

"Well," you think, "I guess it's time for a little diet."

Ease up on me, I just gotta take a little break to get my life back in order. Rest assured, in a month or so I'll be right back to climbing your projects in my flip flops.

And Angela, I never complained about there being a lack of female climbers. Sure, males vastly outnumber females at the crag, but one of my best partners ever was a girl. Climbing with her beat the hell out of seeing some gruff bastard like Bumblie when you are approaching a belay station. Rock climbing (the kind I do anyway) isn't a very good venue for meeting women however, so I went to a sorority dance, and met gobs of girls, in ONE night!

I guess it just comes down to needing some balance in life. If you dedicate all of your time to one thing, to the point of other areas of your life suffering, you'll never be really happy. I was climbing 5 days a week for a long time, and logging in 2 or 3 full days on the rock every weekend. I put 40K miles on my car last year, and the only girl crazy enough to date me, I dumped for other reasons.

I think it's time for a little break. Get school and my social life back in order. It's the best thing for me to do right now. Hell, I'll probably still climb more than 90% of y'all even if I just go once a week. (hahaha, sucks for y'all!)

PS, Thanks for calling me "Sweeite" calliope, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside--even IF the rest of your post was pretty harsh...haha.

Travis

calliope

Nov 23, 2003, 4:35 AM
Post #49 of 71 (5191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Damn, a brutha can't take a few weeks off without everyone guilt tripping him. I MUST graduate school!! Must must must, and soon. If I don't do it now, I'll never do it.

AND,

I MUST go out on more dates. I like dating, I like girls, they make me happy. They smell good, and look pretty. I miss them!

I really like climbing too, but I've taken it to an extreme so much that it is starting to hurt other areas of my life. It's kind of like a big old juicy chocloate cake: That damn thing tastes really good. So good that you eat it all the time, you spend all your free time making cakes, and eating them. You learn how to make different kinds of chocloate cakes, and eat them just as fast as you make them. You dump your significant other because they are cutting into your cake eating time, and are criticizing you about how it's ruining your relationship.

You eat ten chocloate cakes a week, and you're happy as a clam.

But then you notice that you are starting to get fat. You don't feel that good because all you have been eating is sugar. You haven't been able to get a date because you are so fat, and spend so much time eating and baking.

"Well," you think, "I guess it's time for a little diet."

Ease up on me, I just gotta take a little break to get my life back in order. Rest assured, in a month or so I'll be right back to climbing your projects in my flip flops.

And Angela, I never complained about there being a lack of female climbers. Sure, males vastly outnumber females at the crag, but one of my best partners ever was a girl. Climbing with her beat the hell out of seeing some gruff bastard like Bumblie when you are approaching a belay station. Rock climbing (the kind I do anyway) isn't a very good venue for meeting women however, so I went to a sorority dance, and met gobs of girls, in ONE night!

I guess it just comes down to needing some balance in life. If you dedicate all of your time to one thing, to the point of other areas of your life suffering, you'll never be really happy. I was climbing 5 days a week for a long time, and logging in 2 or 3 full days on the rock every weekend. I put 40K miles on my car last year, and the only girl crazy enough to date me, I dumped for other reasons.

I think it's time for a little break. Get school and my social life back in order. It's the best thing for me to do right now. Hell, I'll probably still climb more than 90% of y'all even if I just go once a week. (hahaha, sucks for y'all!)

PS, Thanks for calling me "Sweeite" calliope, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside--even IF the rest of your post was pretty harsh...haha.

Travis

Hmm, didn't mean it harsh. Guess I should have used a smiley. :wink:

You do what you gotta do. I don't dedicate my life to climbing. Wish I could at times, but I have one of those pesky jobs and a family and a whole slew of friends who are doing good to climb a flight of stairs.

Now I'm hungry for cake. Damn it. :evil:

tenn_dawg

Nov 23, 2003, 4:44 AM
Post #50 of 71 (5191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Dr. Piton quits climbing every November, sits around his computer all winter telling other people how to do it, then steps off the couch at the base of El Cap sometime in May, and climbs it [after finding someone else to carry his gear to the base].

However, this being said,

your comments are some of the lamest-ass words I have ever seen you write!

I think I'm going to puke.

I predict your "retirement" will last no more than a few weekends. And if it does, you really are a lame-ass. Have fun at the mall, dude.

Shut up and climb. Sheesh.

STFU you goddamn chuffer!!!11

(* I pause to think for a moment, and realize that if there ever was someone that fit the definition of that word..."chuffer"... Pass the Doctor Pitons, has GOT to be it...heh... *)

Here's what I'm trying to do. Foster a healthy social life, and a successful professional one. Climbing 5 days a week, hardly ever dating, and hardly ever studying because you are completely obsessed with your hobby is not the way to do that.

Of course I wouldn't expect you to know how to have a healty social life or a successful professionaly life, so I'll just chalk up your "Lameass" comments to ignorance of what having those things requires.

..end rant..

I am jonesing for a climb tomorrow though...bad. Or I could study for my math final to try and make a B in that class. *sigh* This sucks...

Travis

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - South

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook