RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

timstich

Nov 29, 2003, 4:02 AM
Post #1 of 9 (4995 views)
Shortcut

Rappelling accident in Golondrinas cave, Mexico
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

http://www.expediciones.info/images/golondrinas.jpg
http://www.showcaves.com/surveys/Golondrinas.gif
Just read this on Cavetex:

#15416, "Accident Report -- Mexico"

Hello --

During an expedition to the Cave of the Swallows in Mexico, there was an accident on November 19th involving Dave Flannell. I was present during the accident and the rescue efforts that ensued.
For many of us, it was our first time to the Cave, so all of us were rappelling to inspect the landing area and understand the cave's dimensions before making our first jumps which were to come the following day. We were using a Petzl 5-bar Rack on static rope for the 1,200ft rappel.

Dave was approximately 400ft from the bottom of the cave when for reasons unknown to us, his brake hand came off the rope and he was unable to regain control of his descent.

Three team members who were already at the bottom of the cave reached Dave within 30 seconds and resuscitation efforts began. At the top, we went into immediate action by lowering down another one of our team members who is an EMT (Emergency Medical Technician) with all of our emergency medical supplies. He reached the bottom at the 22 minute mark and took over from those who had been performing CPR since the onset of the accident. After 46 minutes, with no sign of recovery, CPR was stopped.

The next 4 hours were spent carefully recovering Dave's body and extracting the remaining team members from the bottom of the cave.
We were not allowed to move Dave from the top of the cave until the Haustecan Indian's priest could bless him with a prayer ceremony. After the ceremony, the Haustecans burned a candle by Dave's side and we remained there in silence until the candle burned out late in the night. The Haustecan's genuine care and respect was very moving.
As a group, all of us have decided to call off the remainder of the expedition out of respect for Dave's family and friends as well as the Haustecan Indians that inhabit the area.

The expedition organizers, along with one of Dave's close friends who is also on this trip, have been working around the clock with the US Embassy to ensure that Dave and all of his belongings reach home safely.
Even though I only knew Dave for a few days, it only took 30 seconds to grow a liking to his smiling face and bubbly personality. We are all saddened by this loss and send deep condolence to Dave's family and friends.

Please understand that I am on the road and in some remote places, so it may be a few days before I can reply.
C-ya,
Bryan

#15432, "RE: Accident Report -- Mexico"
In response to Reply # 0

I just met Dave at Bridge Day, while doing photography through the event. I didnt get much time to chat with Dave, but the moments I was around he was a real kind and fun-loving to those amongst him. He left an impression, so when I heard the news I was very upset and wondered what the cause was.

After reading the update, I feal this was something that could have been prevented,,, like most accidents. As a highly experienced climber, I feel I can offer some advice for future expeditions.

The "Rack" is one of the most known about descending devices invented. Its used for long raps and/or heavy loading. *The disadvantage is: You must retain control of your rope at all times.

By a simple slip, you can be in trouble. A big descent like the cave can be tiring even for an 18 year old.

There are two devices I would recommend over the Racks, one is listed below:

#1 is the "Petzle Stop"- This dev! ice is controled by a one hand being on the release/lower lever, and the other on the down-end of the rope,, much like a rack. If the lever hand lets go/fumbles the device locks up. The Hand controlling the down-rope is just for secondary control. In other words to stop,,just let go of the "Stop". The harder you squeeze the handle the faster you go down.

If Dave was too tired or had a heart attack, the device would have arrested his fall.

Its unfortunate that something like this has happened, but maybe it will help many avoid a similar accident.
My deapest condolences go to Daves family and friends!!
My next jump is dedicated to Dave!!!
CYA Soon,
Josh Morell

little did they know
bombon

Partner philbox

Nov 29, 2003, 7:26 AM
Post #2 of 9 (4995 views)
Shortcut

philbox moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

philbox moved this thread from Community to Injuries & Accidents.

karmaklimber

Nov 29, 2003, 9:53 AM
Post #3 of 9 (4995 views)
Shortcut

Re: philbox moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
#1 is the "Petzle Stop"- This dev! ice is controled by a one hand being on the release/lower lever, and the other on the down-end of the rope,, much like a rack. If the lever hand lets go/fumbles the device locks up. The Hand controlling the down-rope is just for secondary control. In other words to stop,,just let go of the "Stop". The harder you squeeze the handle the faster you go down.

A grigri, no?

freelance

Nov 29, 2003, 12:05 PM
Post #4 of 9 (4995 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

A grigri, no?

no, "SHUNT" - A rope clamp/grab for back-up protection

overlord

Nov 29, 2003, 2:32 PM
Post #5 of 9 (4995 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jup, something like stop would help here. autolocking devices should become standard when rappeling.

anyway, condolescences to hte family. its sad when you loose someone.

edit: its definitely not a grigri, because a grigri would seriously overheat during such a lond rappel. its a special rappeling device made by petzl.

furryfrisbee

Nov 29, 2003, 3:33 PM
Post #6 of 9 (4995 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"A grigri, no?

no, "SHUNT" - A rope clamp/grab for back-up protection"

Neither, he means a "Petzl Stop", http://www.petzl.com/petzl/Produit?Produit=195&Conseil= I have also seen one being used at Foster Falls as a self belay device.

timstich

Nov 29, 2003, 5:02 PM
Post #7 of 9 (4995 views)
Shortcut

Re: Rappelling accident in Golondrinas cave, Mexico [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought I might mention that a friend of mine was rappeling with a mini rack and lost control of it about 15 ft. from the bottom of the drop. It was in Austin, TX on the Greenbelt. She slammed her head against a rock as she cratered. Fortunately she was wearing a helmet and she didn't get injured. We talked about it a little, but I don't think we ever put together what happened. And this person had years of experience. I think that day she was just not paying as close attention as the situation required.

passthepitonspete

Dec 1, 2003, 7:04 AM
Post #8 of 9 (4995 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A woman died in a similar accident rappelling Surprise Pit [404'] in Fern Cave, Alabama. She lost control of her rappel some distance above the base of the pit, and crashed to the floor. She could have been saved had someone been there with the presence of mind to pull down hard on the rope she was rappelling [difficult in the dark].

Rappelling accidents happen. Wear gloves. Beware wet and thin ropes. Don't blow it.

swede

Dec 1, 2003, 10:21 AM
Post #9 of 9 (4995 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, for such a long rappel the following method is not appropriate – but itīs great for shorter rappels (and better than the current tech tip at the Climbing Magazine).

1 Attach a short prussic cord to your leg loop with a locking carabiner.
2 Tie a French prussic knot around the rope where you normally hold your braking hand.

To descend – simply put pressure on your knot.
To stop - release the pressure on the knot.

The reasons why itīs superior to the current tech tip at the Climbing Magazine?

1 You donīt have to unweight the knot if you use it.
2 Much less stress on the knot/system if you lose your grip.
3 You canīt (somehow) entangle the prussic cord in your rappelling device, simply because itīs to short.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook