Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

dynosi

Jan 26, 2002, 11:52 PM
Post #1 of 29 (6475 views)
Shortcut

Yoga
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have just recently taken up yoga, primarily to help with my climbing (fine tuning those egyptians...etc!) but also to help to chill out while dealing with uni finals.

I was wondering whether anybody else also studies yoga, and if they found it helps them to climb better or not?

Happy climbing

Si

bart

Jan 27, 2002, 12:44 AM
Post #2 of 29 (6475 views)
Shortcut

Yoga [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't done yoga yet, but I suggest you should try the search button to find older topics about yoga. I am quite sure there have already been forums about this topic.

maculated

Jan 27, 2002, 3:14 AM
Post #3 of 29 (6475 views)
Shortcut

Yoga [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I took up yoga this summer as a way to just get more flexible as I'm a power person but not a stretcher.

Being female, I've got advantage in the flexibility department with climbing, but I'm sure yoga has helped me, and I know it helps my partner. He pulls off some very good moves requiring reach and balance that have become easier with yoga.

beta

Jan 27, 2002, 3:32 AM
Post #4 of 29 (6475 views)
Shortcut

Yoga [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It has recently been recommended to me to take up yoga, by people who are very much in tune with their bodies and existence.

I am naturally, a very un-flexible person, stretching, and flexibility have been at the bottom of my list for going on twenty years, and "touchy-feely" methods of self awareness have never appealed to me.

That being said, and being physically hurt most of the time, the suggestion that, (and not knowing anything about yoga), the breathing techniques, and other methods that relate to getting in touch with your body, are becoming more interesting to me.

I guess I will have to give it the benefit of the doubt, I mean, what do I have to lose?.

It would be nice if there turns out to be, a benefit to my climbing. I hope so.

I will let you know.

beta

mountainrat

Jan 27, 2002, 1:35 PM
Post #5 of 29 (6475 views)
Shortcut

Yoga [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I JUST started doin' Yoga, out of a beginner's guide book. I really dig it so far; I can already see the difference in my flex factor. I'm interested in the more subtle aspects of it now- does Yoga really call for a specific diet (sans nicotine, alcohol, etc.)?

saxonz

Jan 27, 2002, 2:42 PM
Post #6 of 29 (6475 views)
Shortcut

Yoga [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As a climber and a student/teacher of yoga I can say that they go together very well. Go to a Good reputable shool and get into some Iyengar or Vinyasi style yoga, it's good for flexability, strength and cardio-vascular endurance and if you're lucky you will sweat your ass off and detox out all that hard livin' and crap food. It will also work neglected muscle groups and bring balance to you body.

saxonz

Jan 27, 2002, 2:45 PM
Post #7 of 29 (6475 views)
Shortcut

Yoga [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh by the way the by products of eating dairy stiffen joints, congest the sinuses and slow the brain and there is heaps more calcium in sesame seeds. Meat is bad for everything.

saltspringer

Jan 27, 2002, 4:00 PM
Post #8 of 29 (6475 views)
Shortcut

Yoga [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just started Yoga primarily to keep my back in better shape (car accident) and it's not only helping my back & flexibility but it's also great for clearing my mind TOTALLY!

You may also want to consider trying Tai Chi as an alternate form of exercise for strengthening & flexibility. Personally, I don't get much out of Tai Chi but my brother is an instructor for the Taoist group here on our island and he's got people from 18-80+ who extole the benefits of it regularly. Whatever form of exercise you choose, I'd recommend something to increase flexibility: just try a few different forms and see which one you enjoy the most and then stick with it!

newontherock

Jan 29, 2002, 1:56 PM
Post #9 of 29 (6475 views)
Shortcut

Yoga [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have just started Yoga and it has helped me a lot. My back use to hurt a lot after climbing , but sense i started Yoga my back problems are gone!

*Anna*

beyond_gravity

Feb 2, 2002, 9:42 PM
Post #10 of 29 (6475 views)
Shortcut

Yoga [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yoga and climbing are much alike. They both invole extreme consintration, balance and movement.

beta

Feb 3, 2002, 1:08 AM
Post #11 of 29 (6475 views)
Shortcut

Yoga [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey mountainrat,

What is the title of the beginners guide that you are using?

Has anyone else started yoga by using a book?

Anyone have any titles they would like to share with the group?

suicidal_soldier

Feb 4, 2002, 3:40 PM
Post #12 of 29 (6475 views)
Shortcut

Yoga [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hey!
im really interested in yoga as it seems to really help the body to stretch and i would like to ask if anyone is willing to share info on this topic or websites which have easy-to-learn guides to yoga for beginners!

brinton

Feb 13, 2002, 10:22 PM
Post #13 of 29 (6475 views)
Shortcut

Yoga [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yogas classes are fun!

goopermc

Feb 13, 2002, 10:48 PM
Post #14 of 29 (6475 views)
Shortcut

Yoga [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yoga and climbing are a great combination. They both require balance, concentration, and the ability to move between positions fluidly.

People were asking about books to start yoga with. I would actually suggest starting with a video. That way you can see what the way that a real yoga master does the moves. Later when you know the poses and sequences that you want to do, you don't even need a book / video.

My yoga variation of choice is Power Yoga. Power yoga stresses breathing, and moving between poses. Both of those are musts for rockclimbers.

There is a good video series by Living Arts, called Power Yoga for Beginners. It is what I started with.

cobyhart

Feb 18, 2002, 6:36 AM
Post #15 of 29 (6475 views)
Shortcut

Yoga [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yoga is great! I cannot say enough about it.
It has helped me in so many areas of my life particularly my climbing. It puts you in tune with your body and the link between your mind, body and spirit.....and how breath can integrate them all. There are many different styles of Yoga. I suggest you try different styles and go to different teachers wtihin those styles until you find your match. Remember that it is not a goal oriented process, but an ongoing practice. I started with basic hatha yoga classes and after a year found ashtanga yoga which is very physical and matches breath with movement.....a very satisfiying experience. Just one more word of advice.....yoga is a very personal thing, do not be competative in your practice pay attention to your own body. Enjoy!

rocmonkey

Feb 18, 2002, 6:49 AM
Post #16 of 29 (6475 views)
Shortcut

Yoga [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is quite cool. Just last night (Sunday) I was watching The next best thing with Madonna and realised that Yoga would be an incredible climbing aid.
I know someone at work that teaches Yoga and I decided to give it a try, just for the killer heel hook's sake.

Fancy my excitement when reading this post this morning.

breathe stone
R C

rockncheese

Feb 25, 2002, 11:41 PM
Post #17 of 29 (6475 views)
Shortcut

Yoga [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

try yogasite.com....it has numerous diagrams with descriptions of how to do the moves

nikegirl

Feb 26, 2002, 3:57 AM
Post #18 of 29 (6475 views)
Shortcut

Yoga [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have mentioned numerous times througout my stay here at RC.com, how well yoga is a great second to climbing.
Those who think it's all hippy based guru "ooohhhmm", type of thing, would be pleasantly suprised. I do the Bikram Yoga. it's a series of 26 poses and 2 breathing exercises designed to benefit every muscle, joint, ligament, Tendon and organ in the body. It's held in a heated room(110 F degrees) to encourage detoxification, increase circulation and provied for safe stretching. 90 minutes, for the class.

Part of my life transitions, has been due to Yoga.
Thinking inside, feeling the meditation and focus on inner strength...and clarity.
Breathing is a huge part of Yoga. Hense it's helping my climbing,there too.
I can't say enough about Yoga. I'm not a limber stretchy pretzel...and may never acheive it, ever.
But, clearly this is not my intention.
I need Yoga. It is a part of my life.
I come out of each practice: clear and ready for climbing.
you should try it.

AWESOME!!!!!

T

achilles

Feb 28, 2002, 9:35 AM
Post #19 of 29 (6475 views)
Shortcut

Yoga [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yoga on nikegirl! I have been meaning to start tai chi for some time, but I never get around to it. I have a couple of stretching exercises which I do on an infrequent basis which I find very calming and invigorating. I have a book in mind which teaches the basic principles of tai chi and I will start there.
The dietary aspects are also advisable I suppose.
Rock-a-bye!

blueman

Mar 2, 2002, 4:50 PM
Post #20 of 29 (6475 views)
Shortcut

Yoga [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yoga
Try Bikram's Hatha Yoga! It's one of the most intense workouts I have ever done. I forget how many poses right now, but you're in a 110 degree studio with a nazi of a trainer. I was doing it consistantly 3-4 times a week and then stopped in december. Since then, my climbing, both mentally and physically has not been doing quite as well. It's time I go back to the torture chamber

old_school_guy

Mar 6, 2002, 8:20 PM
Post #21 of 29 (6475 views)
Shortcut

Yoga [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I second those who find yoga is helpful in climbing. I started yoga, and climbing, a long, long, long time ago in high school. My climbing today isn't nearly as intense (except to my aging muscles) and neither is my yoga. I find you don't have to get into the hard-core yoga schools to get a benefit. Just running through 10 or 15 minutes of postures prior to a climb helps me a lot. I get a lot of funny looks at the wall, tho.

achilles

Mar 13, 2002, 7:50 AM
Post #22 of 29 (6475 views)
Shortcut

Yoga [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I know Tai-Chi is not Yoga, but I'm so excited because tonight is my first time! I'll let you know how the tai-chi climbing combo works out.
Rock-a-bye!

apollodorus

Mar 13, 2002, 8:05 AM
Post #23 of 29 (6475 views)
Shortcut

Yoga [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yoga for climbing? I once saw a pre-Friends era photo:

"Morning Yoga on El Cap Tower."

It was a pretty cool photo.

I've done a little Yoga, and it definitely helps with flexibility, fitness and concentration. Some of the asana positions are burly isometric stances that you hold for a long time, just the thing to prepare for steep wide cracks that tend to burn your hands and legs out. Not only that, organ massage through proper breathing in various asanas improves overall health.

newbieclimber

Mar 13, 2002, 8:34 AM
Post #24 of 29 (6475 views)
Shortcut

Yoga [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"Not only that, organ massage through proper breathing in various asanas improves overall health."

organ massage through breathing? which improves health? i suppose channeling while wearing crystals will enable you to climb a grade harder!

"nirvana is overrated" (siddhartha)

[ This Message was edited by: newbieclimber on 2002-03-13 00:37 ]

wandt

Mar 13, 2002, 8:50 AM
Post #25 of 29 (6475 views)
Shortcut

Yoga [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Is there some sort of esspresso yoga? 90 minutes is more time than I can devote to something new right now. I need the super-compressed 20 minute version that packs the same punch.

Also... how long until you generally see noticable results? How long until your improvement starts to taper?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook