Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

miagi

Mar 3, 2002, 2:28 AM
Post #1 of 65 (7844 views)
Shortcut

Why do you like gym climbing?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well, there are only a few reasons for me. First off its nice to get out of the elements are practice your moving techniques. Seeing how felxible you are and so forth. Secondly sometimes I liked the preplaced holds rather than the sites i find outdoors on my weekend hikes. Ill explain: Ill find some nice crags around my area but the thing is there is moss and dirt all over them. I cant get enough friction without my hands rolling off the holds with the sand and dirt. There are hardly any climbers in my area so I dont know of any good spots so i have to make due with what i have. Thats why i like gyms sometimes.

outhere

Mar 3, 2002, 2:41 AM
Post #2 of 65 (7844 views)
Shortcut

Why do you like gym climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I love Climbing outside, no doubt, and I will whenever I have time,Saturday and Sunday. I also get out of work at 6:30p.m. mon.-frid. and dont feel like going to the crag that is hour away rather than the gym that is 3 min from my house. I can get better at climbing indoors and that makes my experience on the weekends even better. I am all for the indoor climbing idea. Why not?

[ This Message was edited by: outhere on 2002-03-02 18:42 ]

dynomaster

Mar 3, 2002, 2:44 AM
Post #3 of 65 (7844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The #1 Reason for me is that i live on perhaps the flatest place on Earth-Miami. So, the gym is the ONLY place i can climb unless I builder. Also, Gym climbing can be extremely fascinating if you get a chance to set routes. It allows you to express your creativity, and at the same time it imporves your ability to decipher routes. Seting or making up routes is perhaps what i enjoy the most about Gym climbing. All that being said, I would much rather climb outdoors if i had the oppertunity.

Dyno on
Andy

sonofspork

Mar 3, 2002, 4:07 AM
Post #4 of 65 (7844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It is convenient.

dontneedfeet

Mar 3, 2002, 4:18 AM
Post #5 of 65 (7844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gym climbing beats climbing outdoors as soon as the windchill drops significantly below zero...

Partner coldclimb

Mar 3, 2002, 4:24 AM
Post #6 of 65 (7844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Because I'm one of those with the self-discipline to train during the winter.

bigfish03

Mar 3, 2002, 4:39 AM
Post #7 of 65 (7844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

first, becaues of its availability (climbing wall at my school). its there, closest thing to my house to climb. second, its compleatly customizable. by moving holds around, fliping them upside down or sideways, you can set up any type of move you could imagine. dynos, slopers, crimpers, etc. and make whatever combo or sequince you want. possibilities are endless.

upfreak

Mar 3, 2002, 5:21 AM
Post #8 of 65 (7844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I second convenience... plus its where i practice my climbing basics; technique, safety etc. Before going for real rock.

crux_clipper

Mar 3, 2002, 5:24 AM
Post #9 of 65 (7844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love outdoors, and i wish i could climb Trad every day (well, maybe not EVERY day), but there are 3 factors why i like indoors.
1. It keeps me fit, and healthy and i build up a good sweat, and it gives me a reason why i can't play footy for the school
(sorry, i got climbing training 3 times a week)
2. The nearest outdoor crag is like and hour away.
3. I'M ONLY 16 AND DON'T HAVE A DRIVERS LICENCE.

I hate the rule.......

crackaddict

Mar 3, 2002, 5:33 AM
Post #10 of 65 (7844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't really like the gym. In the winter it is a necessary because the days are too short for me to make it to the rock after work. It is also very for my tendons. I have never had tendon problems outside but have them re-occuring at the gym. They are too crowded also. They play lame music. But it is about the only place to meet people in your climbing comunity.
My two cent's!

theostudent

Mar 3, 2002, 6:27 AM
Post #11 of 65 (7844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Indoors. It it weren't for indoors I wouldn't be climbing at the level I am at now. Here in Minnesota (where it is winter Sep. - March) I really need indoor gyms to get in those rock hours, either simply bouldering or climbing. You all have good points on having ton's of people there in gyms, and for me, it is from observing ALL the other climbers (who are usually better than me) that I have gotten as far I am now.
I wish I could just go outside and go to the local climbing site, and climb. But usually during these months, there is about 2 feet of snow everywhere. I guess I could pretend I am mountaineering on the little rocks we have here in Minnesota. Nah!
Any other Minnesotans out there who can feel with me?

lucas

maddie

Mar 3, 2002, 6:35 AM
Post #12 of 65 (7844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As other people have mentioned it is basicly the 2nd best thing to being actualy out in the great outdoors, plus its good practice! I DUNNO IT MAY NOT BE EVERYONES CUP OF TEA BUT GIVE IT A CHANCE YOU MIGHT FIND OUT ITS WORTH IT!

Partner rrrADAM

Mar 3, 2002, 12:28 PM
Post #13 of 65 (7844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

At my Gym, The Rock Gym in LBC, good people, great route-setters, good music, for starters.

But I really push myself there, and work technique. This helps me greatly when I hit the rock. I'll climb anything, I've even buildered. And I was in NY during hurricane Floyd, and was in my hotel room stemming and crimping up the door jams.

rrrADAM

apollodorus

Mar 3, 2002, 1:35 PM
Post #14 of 65 (7844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why go to the gym? I saw a thing on TV that was an endless belt with holds on it. It goes in your living room. You just stand there, and instead of climbing up the wall, the motorized wall goes down past you. I think it comes with a special seat so you can just sit there, and move your hands and feet to the holds as they come over the top, and glide past. When you get tired of that, the seat spins around and you can watch a DVD in SurroundSound of Yosemite Falls.

I'd rather do crack climbs between buildings, than go to a gym. At least buildings are made of masony, which feels like rock.

[ This Message was edited by: apollodorus on 2002-03-03 16:12 ]

Partner pianomahnn

Mar 3, 2002, 5:44 PM
Post #15 of 65 (7844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't compare gym climbing to outdoor climbing; not possible. It's like saying a football game played in the snow or rain is the the same as one played on astro turf in a dome; sucky.

Here's the thing; I have no choice. My current lifestyle and living situation forces me to use indoor gyms as a means of keeping in shape for when I have the chance to climb outdoors.

I really enjoy just climbing on things. Would I much rather climb outside? HELL YES!! Do I have that option, nope. So, for the time being I am living with what I have.

I plan on doing a lot more outdoor climbing this summer. It's just so nice. I mean, damn. Rubber or grass? Hmmm...I choose grass. Wood or granite? Geez, I choose granite.

I'm not a gym rat by choice. But there's no denying my indoor roots.

jt512

Mar 3, 2002, 9:04 PM
Post #16 of 65 (7844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote: Gym climbing beats climbing outdoors as soon as the windchill drops significantly below zero...

significantly below 50.

Jay, from SoCal

stickit

Mar 3, 2002, 9:42 PM
Post #17 of 65 (7844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Manitoba winters are crazy. -30 deg celsius is a regular sight. Gyms for the winter. Crags for everything else.

stigonrock

Mar 3, 2002, 10:57 PM
Post #18 of 65 (7844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"Why do you gym climb?

Because it stops me going CRAZY when I can't get out on the rock!

Stig

mitchal

Mar 3, 2002, 11:57 PM
Post #19 of 65 (7844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have met a whole lot of real nice folks,and have been shown a good many things that helped me improve my climbing.It's raining here and I got to get in three good hours of climbing in,sure can't do that outside.Spring is right around the corner,and so is real rock.
Climb Happy
Mitch

treyr

Mar 4, 2002, 12:09 AM
Post #20 of 65 (7844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it is warm and there is no hike and u can go without missing school

trob

radistrad

Mar 4, 2002, 1:18 AM
Post #21 of 65 (7844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know that the question was why do you like gym climbing, but I am going against that! I dislike gym climbing. My local gym is ALWAYS crowded, they use colored holds instead of taped holds, to make the routes. I am a bit color blind and can not tell the difference between a black hold with chalk on it from a blue hold that is chalked up etc. I dont like the ultra dusty environment, can't be good to breath all of that dust. And $16 for an hour or two. Ha, that is a rip off.
I am fortunate to have a local crag as well as several climbing areas around me, so that help me keep my ill feelings for the climbing gym, why go inside whn I can go outside?
Sorry about going against the topic, but I thought a different perspective would add to the topic.

charrock

Mar 4, 2002, 2:21 PM
Post #22 of 65 (7844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was going to join our local gym this year but after a 1 month membership decided not to join. I like the folks running the place, it can be uncrowded, does keep one in shape, I can learn moves from others (see how it's done) BUT I too hate the dust, the cost, the music, the feel of the "rock" and tendon strains. I've always been a believer in the saying...if it's snowing-ski, if it's rainning-paddle, if it's dry-climb or bike and if it's none of the above run! I guess I'm a jack of all trades, a master of none. Charlie

charrock

Mar 4, 2002, 2:43 PM
Post #23 of 65 (7844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

More one thing on the dust. I took my daughter climbing last week on a crowded night. We looked up to the ceiling and she asked if people were smoking? Now that's dusty. charlie

caveclimber

Mar 4, 2002, 2:58 PM
Post #24 of 65 (7844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I enjoy climbing in the gym alot cause the weather here in Arkansas is always wierd so who knows what will happen from day to day. I know what the weather is like indoors. Don't get me wrong I much rather be outdoors in the local crag but hey I love to climb. Also I don't always have a partner so my local gym always has someone to belay me and I can practice lead climbing to.

rockjock04

Mar 4, 2002, 3:13 PM
Post #25 of 65 (7844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Im into gym climbing cause thats all there is around here except one 30 foot gorge. Its not bad but its just a flat granite wall with moss and mud. Its impossible to smear it because mud runs down the side when it rains and gets in the holds. The deck is mud and jagged rock. the top is just normal flat ground.(the gorge is just a chasm in the normal ground.) The gym has heat(wussy to cold) and can actually practice techniques like smearing and lie backs.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook