Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

b_fost

Dec 12, 2003, 8:51 PM
Post #1 of 37 (5524 views)
Shortcut

rope in mouth for clipping
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

do you put the rope in your mouth before clipping in order to get an extra loop of slack? i start doing that about halfway up a route, when the rope drag starts to affect (effect?) how much slack i can pull in each loop. just curious.

mattdog

Dec 12, 2003, 8:56 PM
Post #2 of 37 (5524 views)
Shortcut

Re: rope in mouth for clipping [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
do you put the rope in your mouth before clipping in order to get an extra loop of slack? i start doing that about halfway up a route, when the rope drag starts to affect (effect?) how much slack i can pull in each loop. just curious.

Yep, but I have a really strong jaw. My wife tells me I use it all the time.

outdoormikeg

Dec 12, 2003, 8:56 PM
Post #3 of 37 (5524 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have mixed feelings on this...the problem with pulling up too much slack is that if you come off while clipping you're looking at a further fall but if the gear (or bolt) is above your head you get a little section of top roping...especially at the crux.

I have started to try and put gear in at my waist so I don't have to pull the rope up...its right there. I've also started to lead on ice screws and you almost always put those in at your waist.

Just like everything else in this crazy sport everyone has their own way of doing things...

mike_ok

Dec 12, 2003, 8:58 PM
Post #4 of 37 (5524 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Didn't you say you've been to OKC Rocks? There's a climb there called "Dental Plan" because someone took a fall right before a clip, and had the rope in their mouth. When the rope went taught, out went the teeth.

I do it too when I have to, but try to stay away from it.

scubasnyder

Dec 12, 2003, 9:02 PM
Post #5 of 37 (5524 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The mouth the fifth hand for grabbing rope, i need it on sport route i must say. Dirty but better than falling

b_fost

Dec 12, 2003, 9:13 PM
Post #6 of 37 (5524 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Didn't you say you've been to OKC Rocks? There's a climb there called "Dental Plan" because someone took a fall right before a clip, and had the rope in their mouth. When the rope went taught, out went the teeth.

I do it too when I have to, but try to stay away from it.

I was there this summer... I didn't see a route with that name. when did that happen?

Also, I use a VERY loose grip (of my jaw) to avoid teeth being ripped out.

mike_ok

Dec 12, 2003, 9:16 PM
Post #7 of 37 (5524 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It happened several years ago... they redid alot of routes this summer so they may have changed the route and name.

I like my new gym better, but I must say, I miss the 90' indoor climbs there.

lostinvegas

Dec 12, 2003, 9:26 PM
Post #8 of 37 (5524 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My teeth(4 of them) snapped off too, when foot slipped and fell during a clip. Wonder how many people had done this...? But I still hold rope by teeth(bridged and false now) to clip something higher than my head - there isn't really much alternative.

Partner j_ung

Dec 12, 2003, 9:43 PM
Post #9 of 37 (5524 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mmmff, i althwwwaazzz ooo.

fullahsiffur

Dec 12, 2003, 9:51 PM
Post #10 of 37 (5524 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, I just now am climbing all of the blues at Okcrocks. Hey Mike, did you ever tackle Quarry daze (90 ft., all holds carved in wall)? I faked my way up it just to see what it is like. A guy at the gym said that he would probably rate it 5.13 b/c! Hey, I bet your gym in Texas has climate control. I climbed the old Dental Plan. It is now called "Lovesick, Broke, and Driftin' ." It was sacreligous to change the name of Numero Uno, though.

mike_ok

Dec 12, 2003, 9:57 PM
Post #11 of 37 (5524 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey, I just now am climbing all of the blues at Okcrocks. Hey Mike, did you ever tackle Quarry daze (90 ft., all holds carved in wall)? I faked my way up it just to see what it is like. A guy at the gym said that he would probably rate it 5.13 b/c! Hey, I bet your gym in Texas has climate control. I climbed the old Dental Plan. It is now called "Lovesick, Broke, and Driftin' ." It was sacreligous to change the name of Numero Uno, though.

I have climbed most/all of the old blues, but I haven't been back to many of the new. Is Quarry daze the one in the little slot between to silo rooms? Across from the room with the wood crack and Fight Club? If so, I've messed around on it but never done it clean. The mostly carved finger crack in the silo-room next to the bathrooms is fun too.

Yes, my new gym is indeed climate controlled, with huge padding on the floors... thus, I like it more. Also more variety of routes.

b_fost

Dec 12, 2003, 10:09 PM
Post #12 of 37 (5524 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yes. quarry daze is exactly where you described it. i did it clean my third try, and i think that guy is bsing about the grade. there is no way its 13c!
the hardest part (in my opinion) is that carved in circle about 10 feet off the ground. looks like a great hold, but its sucks because of the metal rim.

halcyon

Dec 12, 2003, 11:12 PM
Post #13 of 37 (5524 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
... starts to affect (effect?) ...

You were right the first time. It's affect. Kudos on clarifying in case your grammer was wrong. I see way too much bad grammer on this site, and sometimes it makes me a little nuts. Ya know?

p.s. If you say 'Your' when you mean 'you are', I'll eat your face.

fullahsiffur

Dec 12, 2003, 11:39 PM
Post #14 of 37 (5524 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What you just said, b-fost, sounds like BS to me. Did you stem at all? Stemming is not part of the climb. Some of the holds were very small compared with that rim. I could actually climb clean up to above that section. Did you do all 90 ft. clean, which includes no stemming?

b_fost

Dec 12, 2003, 11:58 PM
Post #15 of 37 (5524 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sounds like you didnt consider the option that...i could be better than you?? :wink:

why's it sound like bs? maybe i have better finger strength than you..?

b_fost

Dec 13, 2003, 12:04 AM
Post #16 of 37 (5524 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

by the way fullahsiffur, you mentioned climbing all of the blues.. have you climbed wild at heart? i loved that climb.

cloudbreak

Dec 13, 2003, 12:04 AM
Post #17 of 37 (5524 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't even use my hands. I just reach down grab the rope with my mouth, come back up and clip it!

deleted
Deleted

Dec 13, 2003, 12:08 AM
Post #18 of 37 (5518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote:81848e2f86="lostinvegas"]My teeth(4 of them) snapped off too, when foot slipped and fell during a clip. Wonder how many people had done this? [/quote:81848e2f86]

it's probably not an uncommon occurance. even if you , as someone mentioned, "use a loose grip" with your jaw, the natural immediate reaction to peeling is to tense up.

it's never happened to me, but i guess i'm just playing the odds like everyone else. it helps to be ugly. :wink:

deleted
Deleted

Dec 13, 2003, 12:13 AM
Post #19 of 37 (5518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

almost forgot ...

last week i watched a guy hold a draw in his mouth [i:d227d2270d]by the biner[/i:d227d2270d]. he was deep in concentration -- and it wasn't a life-threatening situation -- so i kept my big mouth shut while he made the clip.

i did find myself thinking, "boy, [i:d227d2270d]that's[/i:d227d2270d] gonna' take out some grinders!" :shock:

b_fost

Dec 13, 2003, 12:17 AM
Post #20 of 37 (5524 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

getting your teeth ripped out makes you feel more hardcore...probably.

davidji

Dec 13, 2003, 12:50 AM
Post #21 of 37 (5524 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My teeth(4 of them) snapped off too, when foot slipped and fell during a clip. Wonder how many people had done this
Sorry to hear about your accident. I guess I was lucky. When I fell with the rope in my teeth, I got my jaw opened and was OK. I realized it could have been worse.

This seems like an advantage for double ropes (which I wasn't using), as at least when you're alternating clips, you won't fall farther because you pulled up slack, and you won't fall on the rope in your teeth. Unless your pieces start to rip...

fullahsiffur

Dec 13, 2003, 12:54 AM
Post #22 of 37 (5524 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, I climbed the sucker with stemming. You won't beleive how hard it gets when you try it without stemming. THAT is what is rated 5.13 b/c. Otherwise, it would just be a 5.10/11.
Sorry.
I probably have better finger strenth if you try to use the dish instead of the mono above it... then again you probably never even saw that. :D

fullahsiffur

Dec 13, 2003, 12:57 AM
Post #23 of 37 (5524 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just saw your other post, so here is my answer. Wild at Heart is pretty cool, albeit the easiest blue. Art of War is the best in my opinion! It has a dish, plenty of pockets, and brilliant route setting. The ending move is excellent.

forbin

Dec 13, 2003, 2:37 AM
Post #24 of 37 (5524 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

You were right the first time. It's affect. Kudos on clarifying in case your grammer was wrong. I see way too much bad grammer on this site, and sometimes it makes me a little nuts. Ya know?

Halcyon, risking having my face eaten, I believe you are incorrect about the usage of 'affect' versus 'effect.' A quotation (not to be confused with quote) from Britannica.com:

Usage: The confusion of the verbs affect and effect is not only quite common but has a long history. Effect was used in place of affect as early as 1494 and in place of affect as early as 1652. If you think you want to use the verb effect but are not certain, check the definitions in this dictionary. The noun affect is sometimes mistakenly used for effect. Except when your topic is psychology, you will seldom need the noun affect.

I am also quite disturbed by the poor grammer on this site. The constant misuse of there, their, and they're is like fingernails on a chalkboard.

alex

valeberga

Dec 13, 2003, 5:02 AM
Post #25 of 37 (5524 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Halcyon, risking having my face eaten, I believe you are incorrect about the usage of 'affect' versus 'effect.' A quotation (not to be confused with quote) from Britannica.com:

Usage: The confusion of the verbs affect and effect is not only quite common but has a long history. Effect was used in place of affect as early as 1494 and in place of affect as early as 1652. If you think you want to use the verb effect but are not certain, check the definitions in this dictionary. The noun affect is sometimes mistakenly used for effect. Except when your topic is psychology, you will seldom need the noun affect.

I am also quite disturbed by the poor grammer on this site. The constant misuse of there, their, and they're is like fingernails on a chalkboard.

alex

forbin you are confused. That quote is referring to the noun, not the verb. Halcyon is talking about the verb affect, which in fact is more common than the verb effect. Just look at def. #3 under affect.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook