Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

from_the_gym

Dec 20, 2003, 3:30 AM
Post #1 of 31 (5034 views)
Shortcut

Time to ditch this sport?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey all...I just got back from a doctors appointment. Turns out that I am not allowed to boulder, play football, hockey, or even jump on a damn trampoline for the rest of my life. All this because of an injury to my back...yes, it required surgery and yes, I am pretty messed up. It isnt looking so hot for me in the sport of climbing, as I was told to keep impact forces to a minimum. I guess this means i wont be bouldering or leading until...my next life? Who knows, im kinda down about it...think its time to find a new hobby or what?

kalcario

Dec 20, 2003, 3:34 AM
Post #2 of 31 (5034 views)
Shortcut

Re: Time to ditch this sport? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What? You can still top rope...and falls on steep routes, you don't hit anything...tell your OB/GYN she doesn't know what she's talking about and get back out there!

daryl314

Dec 20, 2003, 3:38 AM
Post #3 of 31 (5034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm no medical expert, but I would think it would mostly be an issue with impact. Maybe get a second opinion from someone who deals with injuries specific to sports? And I've heard some amazing stories about really determined people making "impossible" recoveries.

Don't give up hope quite yet.

reno

Dec 20, 2003, 3:43 AM
Post #4 of 31 (5034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You need to:

1. Find a new doctor.

2. Describe, in detail, what your back injury is. PM me if you don't want to post it to the list.

3. Find a new doctor.

3. Find a good physical therapist/personal trainer.

4. Find a new doctor.

I know people who have had SEVERE back injuries who managed to continue their climbing. Perhaps not as hard as before (i.e. you may never crank a 5.12 route or boulder V10 again,) but still climbing.

I've racked my brain to find a back injury that would TOTALLY preclude someone from climbing ever again. Can't think of one. (And I've been involved in Sports Physical Therapy or Emergency Medicine for the better part of 12 years...)

Talk to me off-list... we'll get you back on the rock one way or another.

slavetogravity

Dec 20, 2003, 3:44 AM
Post #5 of 31 (5034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Read Touching the Void, and then read, This Game of Ghosts, buy Joe Simpson. If you truly wish to continue climbing these books will inspire you to do so. When you stop and consider all the damage ol' Joe has done to himself over the years, its a miracle he's still walking let alone climbing. I assure you what ever you've done to your self will pail in comparison to what that guy went through, and most importantly he's still climbing.

slavetogravity

Dec 20, 2003, 3:55 AM
Post #6 of 31 (5034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

About 8 years my friend Arnode took a 30 meter header off the top of a local crag. This guy was F-ed up, I'm talking FUBAR!! :shock: His doctors told him he'd never walk again. 5 years later he was working as a helli attack crew boss, jumping out of helicopters in the Yukon Territory to fight forest fires. Long story short. Doctors are often wrong.

climbs4fun

Dec 20, 2003, 4:04 AM
Post #7 of 31 (5034 views)
Shortcut

climbs4fun moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbs4fun moved this thread from General to Injuries & Accidents.

smellyhippie

Dec 20, 2003, 4:25 AM
Post #8 of 31 (5034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jesus. Good luck with that. I'm really sorry and sincerely hope that it turns out okay. The world is full of stories of folks coming back from injury, of doctors being 180 degrees incorrect, of miraculous rehabilitations. I hope yours is one of those.

Happy rehab, and don't give up!

Nate

billcoe_

Dec 20, 2003, 5:35 AM
Post #9 of 31 (5034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, quit: immediatly. Don't just ignore the doctor, it's how she makes her living and is undoubedly very smart about these things.

Next: 2nd opinion is necessary, then decide where you want to go. Perhaps the 1st Dr. was only saying that it was a temporary thing and you misunderstood her.

Ignoring the advise of the Dr. is like having some punk kid tell you to F off - that he can free solo it, it's only 10A he says, despite your words of warnign that you are very familiar with that route. Then he craters. You were trying to tell the kid that you did the FA, but that a friend broke a key hold and the current holds are now greased. It's 12a kid you say, but the dudes not listening, he wants to bag it sooooo bad.

Listen to the Dr, and yes they are often wrong, so get the 2nd opinion. Why f- yourself up beyond all recognition if he/she was right?

Is Biking OK, toproping?

timstich

Dec 20, 2003, 6:03 AM
Post #10 of 31 (5034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bottom line, neither you, your doctor, nor any other doctor can say for certain what is going to happen with your back six months or five years from now exactly. Processes will occur that are as complex as any weather system now moving across the country. Predicting what will happen with your injury is like saying it will rain 5.45 inches of rain in Provo on Jan. 23, 2005. Your doctor can only tell you how others before you with a similar injury have fared. But no two situations are exactly alike. Keep positive, be careful, and give reno a PM.

addiroids

Dec 20, 2003, 8:26 AM
Post #11 of 31 (5034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And if you keep calling climbing a sport then you need a prescription of about 6 months in Camp 4. Then you will quickly realize that climbing...the climbing that no injury will keep you from...is indeed not a sport but a lifestyle. Maybe when you start taking it seriously, then you will realize how much it means to you to keep climbing, but doing so as safely as possible.

Good luck in your recovery.

TRADitionally yours,

Cali Dirtbag

rope_burn

Dec 20, 2003, 9:02 AM
Post #12 of 31 (5034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What did u do to your back? Was it climbing?

Oh...and don't stop climbing. If your doctor said that climbing may kill you, then tell him that if you don't climb, you are already dead. Obviously he doesn't climb.

wildduck

Dec 20, 2003, 9:35 AM
Post #13 of 31 (5034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

good one rope_burn. :D

But in my opinion, i guess you should see a new doc. If he says the same darn thing... i know it sux my friend, but better to retire with a small injury then permanently paralysed. just think about it !

Whatever your decision, may you be safe and have lots of good luck along the way.

ajkclay

Dec 20, 2003, 1:42 PM
Post #14 of 31 (5034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't want to be a doomsayer, and I have had a little bit to drink tonight, but, it sounds to me like this injury is a pretty bad one (remember folks that he is probably downplaying the seriousness of the injury due to a denial that this sort of thing could happen to him).

From the sounds of it even taking a short drop while toproping would be too much of an impact on the spine...... even though there are not the high impact forces of leading, there are still considerable impact forces involved, especially for someone with a back injury.

By all means get a second opinion, but don't get your hopes up dude, we don't know you, and some of the posts encouraging you to climb regardless aren't really taking in the reality of one climb versus the rest of your life as an invalid. It's easy to say when it's someone else.

I wish you the best of luck, and I hope you are able to have a reasonably normal active life from here-on in, but don't make rash decisions mate, it's the rest of your life at stake.

Let us know how you are going, you are going to need as much support as you can get over the next few months,

Adam

Partner pt

Dec 22, 2003, 5:13 AM
Post #15 of 31 (5034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

More info regarding your injury is needed, but I would think you need a second, third, and fourth opinion. If a fellowship trained spine surgeon told you to never climb again because you may become a paraplegic, then maybe you should stop climbing. Otherwise, I'm with Reno. Find the right medical people who can give you good advise, work YOUR A$$ OFF doing what they tell you, then go climbing!!!

grabngrip

Dec 22, 2003, 5:32 AM
Post #16 of 31 (5034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the only reason you should stop climbing is if you want to. I have two bad knees, a bad back from a car accident, and have had 4 concusions and i still do everything i like to do. Its when im not active that the knees lock up, i get headaches, or i cant bend over without a pinch in the back. you will know when its time to stop. If you do decide to stop though, you can send me your gear :wink:

Daniel

scotto

Dec 22, 2003, 6:22 AM
Post #17 of 31 (5034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

screamers everywhere???

grabngrip

Dec 22, 2003, 9:09 AM
Post #18 of 31 (5034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i dont get it? screamers?

Partner coldclimb

Dec 22, 2003, 9:29 AM
Post #19 of 31 (5034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They told my Grandpa he'd never move his hand again. Today he's still shooting his pistols, hunting with his bow, and working the TV remote just fine. His hand is completely back to normal, because he worked it out for years. My guess is that if you do the right things and take care of yourself, you can always get back into shape. Look at the things bikers do to themselves, and then keep going. ;)

overlord

Dec 22, 2003, 9:37 AM
Post #20 of 31 (5034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i dont get it? screamers?

sort of buffer system used to reduce impact on gear (and climber) while falling. could be usefull in your case.

get a good phisio therapist and ask hes opinion. he should be able to help.

grabngrip

Dec 22, 2003, 12:42 PM
Post #21 of 31 (5034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ok i get it now...

papounet

Dec 23, 2003, 8:47 AM
Post #22 of 31 (5034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't call it quit until:
1/ you have had a thorough explanation of your condition and of the risks involved (doing the round of the doctors till you get one that say OK to your folly doesn't count)
2/ you have given your body enough time to mend
3/ you have put your body back in shape through careful PT
4/ you have rebuild your trust in your abilities

I cratered from 14m, and broke way too many bones.
It took me 3-4 years to climb back at my level 5.10, I am now tickling 5.11 and 5.12 for my 40 anniversary could be doable.
I run the 20km every year since and started to play recreational rugby one year ago (I must say I hurt after each game).

Yes, there are a few things I won't do anymore....
I tend to focus on the things I enjoy doing / I will enjoy doing.

skiorclimb

Dec 23, 2003, 12:44 PM
Post #23 of 31 (5034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am sorry to hear about your injury. Many doctors are overly cautious, but if they know that you are serious about a sport, they will usually try to be as objective as possible with their risk assessment.

That leads me to my other point. Before modern equipment was available falling wasn't an acceptable practice. You can climb well within your grade and progress while never experiencing any air time. You wont progress at the same rate as someone hang-dogging tuff projects all day, but you can climb, you can lead. Some pretty challenging climbs have been done in styles where falling was completely unacceptable. The consequences may be great but the reward is their if you are willing.

thrasher1

Dec 31, 2003, 8:54 PM
Post #24 of 31 (5034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't quit the sport - but not knowing the extent of your surgery, I can't say too much specificly - but I will say that I had a L4-5 dicsectimey done almost 3 years ago to the day. I've only been climbing about 2 years. I've been real careful and have had no problems, due to the sport. I've taken a couple of lead falls, ~10-15 feet, and no problems for the back. Make sure you have a good harness - good support and padding. I stay away from bouldering and anything else that could cause me to land hard on my feet. Do the exercises they suggest and after a while, I'd suggest yoga for stretching and strenghing.
Larry

dirtineye

Jan 1, 2004, 4:01 PM
Post #25 of 31 (5034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Keeep your options open, and don't sell your gear yet, or give up the idea of climbing again! Like a lot of people here have said, over time and with effort the body can make remarkable recoveries.

If you want my testimonial, I didn't start climbing til i was 45, after having cancer twice. I did fine for years, then really hurt my shoulder and thought climbing was about over for me. I was ready to hang it up, but since physical therapy didn't help and the stupid shoulder hurt either climbing or not climbing, I decided to climb anyway and just be careful, and somehow managed my hardest FA ever last weekend, while out of shape, over weight, and injured. My best climbing buddy took a fall about 20 years ago and broke, " Everything that flaps when you fall", in his words, or in normal speak, all four limbs. He recovered eventually and gets up most 5.10 trad, and will probably be pulling 11's if his wife will let him out to play more often.

So don't give up on the idea of climbing again. CLimbing is fun no matter what the grade you climb at, and one can work around physical limitations and still have a blast. You might even find new strengths while compensating for you limitations, I know I did.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook