First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17 Next page Last page  View All

welshcorgi

Feb 13, 2004, 8:13 PM
Post #76 of 414 (16922 views)
Shortcut

Re: Gumby of the Year Award [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think the Gumbys are going to run over their 3 hour time frame. So many potential categories like the "Nyuck, Nyuck, Nyuck" award for the three stooges of climbobsessoin, scubasnyder, and pipsqueekspire all chiming in on one glorious post.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=51417

And Alex, thats the same link that robgordon provided a few posts back. Don't you be trying for an honorable mention, now... :wink:

iamthewallress

Feb 13, 2004, 8:33 PM
Post #77 of 414 (16922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a new category...

The Gumbiest Assertion Made By Someone Calling Someone Else a Gumby

From this thread about the Kong Gi Gi...

In reply to:
First off, to make sure nobody makes a (as climbers here are so quick to call others) "GUMBY" of themselves....the device is a GRIGRI. Gee, are, eye;Gee are, eye. That's the correct spelling. It is a wonderful device for tr'ing, and roped bouldering(there is such a thing ) It can't be beat in the gym either. Maybe a little more difficult to pay-out line during a climb but it more than makes up for that with it's automatic camming abilities. I'm a believer in the Gri-Gri, however I personally like to bust out the ATC during outdoor climbs.

crotch

Feb 13, 2004, 8:40 PM
Post #78 of 414 (16922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice catch Melissa!

tucsonalex

Feb 13, 2004, 8:44 PM
Post #79 of 414 (16922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

And Alex, thats the same link that robgordon provided a few posts back. Don't you be trying for an honorable mention, now... :wink:

As the founder of the GotY Awards and a member of the judging panel I am immune from being nominated for, or winning a GotY Award. :D

jt512

Feb 13, 2004, 8:56 PM
Post #80 of 414 (16922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Nice catch Melissa!

Ditto.

fracture

Feb 13, 2004, 8:58 PM
Post #81 of 414 (16922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have a new category...

The Gumbiest Assertion Made By Someone Calling Someone Else a Gumby

Can we call it The Best Meta-Gumby?

An award for meta-meta-gumbiness would then be necessitated, as well.

tucsonalex

Feb 13, 2004, 9:03 PM
Post #82 of 414 (16922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Has this been nominated yet?

Noodlearms in is the nose a trad route or a sport route?
http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=50518&forum=18

This may fall into several categories such as best gumby question and talking out of your ass.

climbsomething

Feb 13, 2004, 9:43 PM
Post #83 of 414 (16922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Has this been nominated yet?

Noodlearms in is the nose a trad route or a sport route?
http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=50518&forum=18

This may fall into several categories such as best gumby question and talking out of your ass.
Damn! HOW COULD WE FORGET?

Melissa- rad catch on the meta-gumby!

How I love this thread.

climbsomething

Feb 13, 2004, 9:45 PM
Post #84 of 414 (16922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I think the Gumbys are going to run over their 3 hour time frame. So many potential categories like the "Nyuck, Nyuck, Nyuck" award for the three stooges of climbobsessoin, scubasnyder, and pipsqueekspire all chiming in on one glorious post.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=51417

Sensory overload!! rokshoxbkr19 was in that one too, although he was unusually neutral.

robgordon

Feb 13, 2004, 10:56 PM
Post #85 of 414 (16922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

heh. yeah this thread roolz. my self esteem has never been in better shape. making fun of others makes me feel valid and worthwhile.

So like, here's something for everyone's parusal:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=51058&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Dumb question. Even dumber answers. Then I flame them all.

might be a nomination in there somewhere and I'm sure we'll all come up with about six more categories regardless

edge

Feb 14, 2004, 3:35 AM
Post #86 of 414 (16922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good one, robgordon. And from that gem we find this profile:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=12931

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

nikegirl

Feb 14, 2004, 4:58 AM
Post #87 of 414 (16922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is like the american idol try outs...
brutal to read...
serious or no...

i sit here and think...

ohhhh :sad: ouch...

lol
blow snot

and well...feel bad for loving the humor here.

and that's only to page 2...

it's like watching a bad vehicle accident..

try not to look...but can't help it..

:wink:

~T

moabbeth

Feb 14, 2004, 6:06 AM
Post #88 of 414 (16922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Update!!

pipsqueekspire, who was already looking strong in the deatholette thread, just gave himself a little boost of GumbyCredibility (a.k.a., Gumedbility!) with this little nugget:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=630802&highlight=#630802

I hereby declare my intention to buy a keg of beer to anybody who topropes off of pipsqueek's deatholette-and-10-ovals anchor and lives. (anybody who attempts this challenge and dies, yor next of kin will NOT receive the prize!)

Thanks Hil...I almost sneezed Diet Coke from laughing at this. GUMEDBILITY??? You coined a new word, genius girl!!

I love this thread....Nikegirl's right, it's like American Idol...only more entertaining :wink:

climbsomething

Feb 14, 2004, 6:39 AM
Post #89 of 414 (16922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Thanks Hil...I almost sneezed Diet Coke from laughing at this. GUMEDBILITY??? You coined a new word, genius girl!!

I love this thread....Nikegirl's right, it's like American Idol...only more entertaining :wink:
T knows I'm not *that* evil of a person. But I do like to help people embrace their inner nasty! :twisted:

I've seen American Idol once- the singing was heinous, but Simon was a laugh riot. I like to think he'd approve of this thread. :P

piton

Feb 15, 2004, 6:19 PM
Post #90 of 414 (16922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

original post asked about passive gear because lack of funds

In reply to:
i would get lots of cams and double up on them, thats what im doin now it sux they cost so much, but thats all i need to get now
scubasteve

moabbeth

Feb 17, 2004, 5:45 AM
Post #91 of 414 (16922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
original post asked about passive gear because lack of funds

In reply to:
i would get lots of cams and double up on them, thats what im doin now it sux they cost so much, but thats all i need to get now
scubasteve

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Set of nuts vs. cost of 2 full sets of cams.....c'mon man, aren't those about the same amount of money:lol: :lol: 8) ??

climbsomething

Feb 17, 2004, 4:58 PM
Post #92 of 414 (16922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gumby Innovation Award nominee:

climbersoze for this!

In reply to:
Also... I would not call rappin off of one non-locking biner "unsafe". People that climb for a living or climb for a lifestyle are prone to "overdo" the safety issue. The one biner won't* break or open if rigged correctly, and the harness won't* break if tied correctly. So in essence, its safe.
Oh boy.

I don't know what the exact technique he uses is, but I am sure it's amazing.

climbersoze

Feb 17, 2004, 5:31 PM
Post #93 of 414 (16922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh NO!!! Not gonna tolerate that!!!

Wow that was taken out of context!!! You just made the list :evil:

Kidding... Anyone with half a brain, a desire to live, and the correct training and technique can pull this off. Again, this is for a tactical situation... But I will call myself out for the "overdo saftey" comment... Never minimalize your protection for the sake of saving weight, or time. I was solely referring to the military technique. I hope nobody goes out there and tries that at the crags!!! :shock:

Guess I better go back and caveat that post, huh?

OK, now I am gonna go try diggin up some dirt on you, Hillary. :twisted: :twisted:

climbsomething

Feb 17, 2004, 5:57 PM
Post #94 of 414 (16922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Kidding... Anyone with half a brain, a desire to live, and the correct training and technique can pull this off. Again, this is for a tactical situation... But I will call myself out for the "overdo saftey" comment... Never minimalize your protection for the sake of saving weight, or time. I was solely referring to the military technique. I hope nobody goes out there and tries that at the crags!!! :shock:

OK, now I am gonna go try diggin up some dirt on you, Hillary. :twisted: :twisted:
Try me, Gumby.

You were not clear about this, and it sounded very much like you were suggesting that climbers could use a single-non-locking biner to rap. It still ranks with some of the most retarded advice given on this site.

And it's about friggin' time one of you dumb shits tried to defend yourself! It helps you win points toward the Most Tenacious Defense... award.

climbersoze

Feb 17, 2004, 6:02 PM
Post #95 of 414 (16922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh it is totally on now....

Again, as I rebutted my thrashing in the other forum... read the whole post!!!

Now.. time to REALLY start digging!!!

bluto

Feb 17, 2004, 6:06 PM
Post #96 of 414 (16922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Try me, Gumby.

You were not clear about this, and it sounded very much like you were suggesting that climbers could use a single-non-locking biner to rap. It still ranks with some of the most retarded advice given on this site.

And it's about friggin' time one of you dumb s--- tried to defend yourself! It helps you win points toward the Most Tenacious Defense... award.

Wow, climbsomething has completed her coursework at the JT512 school of somewhat knowledgeable but condescending and irritating climbers.

curt

Feb 17, 2004, 6:06 PM
Post #97 of 414 (16922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbsomething vs. climbersoze

I'll be watching this thread--should be good fun. :lol:

Curt

climbsomething

Feb 17, 2004, 6:17 PM
Post #98 of 414 (16922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Wow, climbsomething has completed her coursework at the JT512 school of somewhat knowledgeable but condescending and irritating climbers.
Chee, wish I could be as slick as you, but I can't, so I turn to attitude. When you gonna have cookie-monster flame me next? You know him, right?

I am condescending because some people deserve it.

It's one thing to reign yourself in when some curious hiker asks you how you got your toprope up. They're not climbers, nor do they claim to be, they're just wondering, and they don't need to be talked down to. I see lots of freaky shit out at Queen Creek, but one day some non-climbers who were hiking through the area asked how topropes got up. So I spent 20 minutes telling them.

But then people come onto this site, say they climb, all that fun stuff, then out of their mouths fall some unsafe, off-the-wall shit that needs to be checked. And I won't be nice to them.

climbersoze

Feb 17, 2004, 6:19 PM
Post #99 of 414 (16922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

She posts too much so I dont feel like digging for one of her gumby posts... And I guess I don't have the tenure to adequately thrash... hmm... I think we should just arm wrestle instead 8)

P.S. I ain't no gumby. I eat gumbies for breakfast. They taste good. Then I use petite climber girlz for toothpicks :twisted:

EDIT: And now in retort to the last post... I was not saying DO IT... I was merely pointing out that it could be done. And then I followed it by saying what was not safe about it.

I too have seen some dumb s____ at the crags... and I have offered my assistance to shore up the security of those less educated... and I have taken the time to explain to non-climbers certain aspects of climbing.

I wouldnt recommend doing the things that I said could be done. Just like I would not recommend free-soloing the Nose on El Cap. You wanna tell Potter he is a dumb s____?

atg200

Feb 17, 2004, 6:29 PM
Post #100 of 414 (16922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i for one feel safer that we have an internet superhero like climbsomething protecting us. god bless the wisdom that can be gained from a couple of years of toproping and sport climbing!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook