Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Renting Gear in Thailand?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

mrtristan

Jan 18, 2004, 3:34 PM
Post #1 of 8 (5301 views)
Shortcut

Renting Gear in Thailand?  (Europe: England: Peak_District: Stanage_Edge__OS_: Stanage)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi, I'm going to Thailand in May, perhaps earlier (and yes, it will be hot...) but dont really want to haul around and climbing gear other than shoes and maybe a chalk bag. Is it possible to rent ropes and draws and stuff at the popular climbing places such as Krabi or Railay or whatever? (Although now that I think about it... does anybody, anywhere rent ropes? hmmm... dont think so...) Also, how much does it cost to hire a guide for the day or a few hours, as I assume they would provide all of the necessary gear. Thanks in advance!

Tristan

randomboulder

Jan 19, 2004, 7:20 AM
Post #2 of 8 (5301 views)
Shortcut

Re: Renting Gear in Thailand? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i was told you can rent everything. unfortunately, that is all the info i can to give. good luck.

roj

overlord

Jan 19, 2004, 8:21 AM
Post #3 of 8 (5301 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i watched a TV guide for thailand and they said you can rent at most climbing spots, especially those near or on popular beaches.

iburpalot

Jan 19, 2004, 12:38 PM
Post #4 of 8 (5301 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was in Reigleh last October and had a great time. Great climbing right on the beach and several places there that rent gear. Bring your own shoes and leave the rest at home. Gear plus a guide for half a day went for 600 Bhat I think. (around $14.-)

Try this site for more info
http://splash.handii.com/thailand_rock_climbing.htm

rockgoat

Jan 19, 2004, 2:49 PM
Post #5 of 8 (5301 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When is the best time of year to go to Thailand for climbing? What areas are best for a climber in the 5.9- 5.10 sport leader or easier trad? Thats cool to know they rent gear.

kwango

Feb 12, 2004, 3:09 PM
Post #6 of 8 (5301 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Guide and gear rental are available at the main climbing areas in Thailand - Krabi (lots of guide shops), Chiangmai (a couple of guide outfits), Bangkok (BRC offers guided trips to Khao Yoi about 1.5 hrs from BKK)

Best time to climb in Thailand would be between End-Nov to end-Jan as it's dry and offers the coolest temps. That said, you can still climb year round, especially in Krabi with the sea (and a cold beer) to cool you down whenever.

There are plenty of 5.9-5.10 sport climbs at all climbing areas in Thailand - no real trad route here though.

beldorph

Mar 3, 2004, 10:15 PM
Post #7 of 8 (5301 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How about buying rope and some quickdraws? Can you get a decent price?
After a couple of days of climbing, it seems that you'd be paying the same if you rent or purchase (assuming that ropes are similarly priced as in the states)

chongopantz

Mar 3, 2004, 10:48 PM
Post #8 of 8 (5301 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

plenty of places rent gear in rai ley for 10 to 15 bucks a day. King climbers in the yaya bungalows would be my choice. They have good gear in good condition. And if you get hurt, they will be the ones rescueing you. Ask for Su or Lek for a guided day or just be social and you will find many many people looking for partners. If you can lead 5.10(6b) you might be some gals hero for a day. Ratings are soft so dont be afraid to try harder stuff. Ton sai is the cheap side for rooms, but there are nicer places on the east side of the pennisula.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook