Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

tucsonalex

Mar 22, 2004, 8:54 PM
Post #1 of 93 (7700 views)
Shortcut

Orangeoverhang photos
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I don't want this to turn into a debate about whose photos are good and whose suck, it just seems that every other new photo submitted is an orangeoverhang shot. The db says that he currently has 372 photos submitted. Is there a limit to how many photos a user can submit? Do some people milk the site for server space for their own gain?

iamthewallress

Mar 22, 2004, 8:58 PM
Post #2 of 93 (7700 views)
Shortcut

Re: Orangeoverhang photos [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The db says that he currently has 372 photos submitted. Is there a limit to how many photos a user can submit? Do some people milk the site for server space for their own gain?

You have 1297 posts, and you are griping about 372 mostly very high quality photo submissions? Have you posted nearly 1300 times for personal gain?

tucsonalex

Mar 22, 2004, 9:00 PM
Post #3 of 93 (7700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
The db says that he currently has 372 photos submitted. Is there a limit to how many photos a user can submit? Do some people milk the site for server space for their own gain?

You have 1297 posts, and you are griping about 372 mostly very high quality photo submissions? Have you posted nearly 1300 times for personal gain?

Not griping, just curious.

cryder

Mar 22, 2004, 9:06 PM
Post #4 of 93 (7700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think he's done a great job of contributing some nice work. No complaints from me.

In reply to:
Do some people milk the site for server space for their own gain?

I dont quite follow on how it would benefit him to have his work here... but if "own gain" means getting more attention, then we have plenty of forums for that... and were all guilty of it at one time or another.

- n -

mother

Mar 22, 2004, 9:19 PM
Post #5 of 93 (7700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i would like to see him post another 372 photos.

tucsonalex

Mar 22, 2004, 9:36 PM
Post #6 of 93 (7700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The man snaps photos like crazy. Let's say someone takes so many pictures they would rather store them on the site than on their own computer. How many photos of steep sandstone does the site need?

cryder

Mar 22, 2004, 10:05 PM
Post #7 of 93 (7700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
How many photos of steep sandstone does the site need?

Behold, yet another troll is born unto the cyber world. :lol:

Partner one900johnnyk

Mar 22, 2004, 10:14 PM
Post #8 of 93 (7700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'll turn it into a debate. he takes probably the best photos on the site. some people would say climbnow1 but i choose orangeoverhang b/c he's not european and is a man's man. jut's were the best of everyone's by a substantial margin, but we all know how that turned out. unfortunately...

now for the post at hand, i like the photographs on this site. what better way to plan your vacations? (well, besides with a dart)... have you ever donated to rc.com out of curiosity?

tucsonalex

Mar 22, 2004, 10:16 PM
Post #9 of 93 (7700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
have you ever donated to rc.com out of curiosity?

Yes I have, have you?

cryder

Mar 22, 2004, 10:19 PM
Post #10 of 93 (7700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I cant think of anyone with more photos rated over 9 then Neil... he also has a really nice website with work on it as well.

http://www.neilshaulbag.com/

I think his work is pretty well liked... is this thread going to turn into something other then hoped for?

- n -

Partner rrrADAM

Mar 22, 2004, 10:26 PM
Post #11 of 93 (7700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The pictures, especially his, are an asset... Why limit them ??? They guy could/should be a pro photog`, and he shares them with us. I think he deserves props myself. :wink:

Also, since climbing pics are required to be linked to the Area in the RDB, it adds much value to the RDB... Imagine if there was a pic of every climb in a guidebook... It would be pretty usefull, right ???

climbsomething

Mar 22, 2004, 10:34 PM
Post #12 of 93 (7700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Uh-oh....

atg200

Mar 22, 2004, 10:34 PM
Post #13 of 93 (7700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, if i posted this thread i would feel like a stooge right now. one of orangeoverhang's brilliant pictures is worth everything in community put together.

Partner rrrADAM

Mar 22, 2004, 10:39 PM
Post #14 of 93 (7700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
yeah, if i posted this thread i would feel like a stooge right now. one of orangeoverhang's brilliant pictures is worth everything in community put together.

Summed that up pretty well, as usual Andy. :wink:

tucsonalex

Mar 22, 2004, 10:46 PM
Post #15 of 93 (7700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some of his photos are really good, but some of them just aren't that great. I think if any other user on the site submitted the exact same shots they would not be rated nearly as high. And many of them are pretty much the exact same shot over and over again, a pic of a ripped back on a steep chalk highway. It might be novel at first but after you see a couple hundred shots of the grampians you feel like you've already been there.

Partner one900johnnyk

Mar 22, 2004, 10:54 PM
Post #16 of 93 (7700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
have you ever donated to rc.com out of curiosity?

Yes I have, have you?

shit no!

tylerm

Mar 22, 2004, 10:55 PM
Post #17 of 93 (7700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"It might be novel at first but after you see a couple hundred shots of the grampians you feel like you've already been there."

Isn't that the idea? I think a great photo does just that; it gives such a stunning example that you might have already been there...

Partner rrrADAM

Mar 23, 2004, 4:49 PM
Post #18 of 93 (7700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Funny, of all the pics on the first page of the gallery at this time, only one is "orangeoverhangs":
In reply to:
10.00 -- Free-soloing on El Cap - Yep, you read right - I'm free soloing on El Cap here, in approach shoes, no less. Don't ask how hi... By cobra652004
[EDIT] [DELETE]
10.00 -- Scott Egan at the "Gang Fight Wall" - Scott Egan climbing "Graffiti", 5.11a, Gang Fight Wall, Massacre Rocks, ID. photo by Mother... By mother
[EDIT] [DELETE]
9.73 -- Skye Ridge Breakfast view - This is the view that we had on the Morning of the second day of our traverse of the Collin ridge. T... By mxc070
[EDIT] [DELETE]
9.50 -- U don't fall here - This is a shot of me leading the slab on the 2nd pitch of No Alternative. I am just now reaching my ... By cjstudent
[EDIT] [DELETE]
9.50 -- Racing the long shadows of afternoon - Nearing the top of the fantastic seven pitch 5.10 route Le Ticket, Le Carre, Le Rond, et La Lune on ... By edge
[EDIT] [DELETE]
9.36 -- The Hogsback, Mount Hood - A view of the Hogsback on Mount Hood in the winter from Crater Rock. February 9, 2004.... By vertx
[EDIT] [DELETE]
9.35 -- Mike Shore Soloing Mordor Wall - Mike Shore soloing Mordor Wall 5.12 A3 Fal 2003 Photo by Tim Kemple - www.kemplemedia.com... By mshore
[EDIT] [DELETE]
9.30 -- The living legend, Fred Beckey - Notes: From the Field

His hands and fingers are gnarled from using them to ascend ston... By ammon
[EDIT] [DELETE]
9.22 -- It's All In Your Mind #2. - We've all thought it. "What if that little rock was big enough to climb?" Or, "If I was only small e... By coldclimb
[EDIT] [DELETE]
9.20 -- Lost Arrow Spire Tip - This is Dave sitting atop the Lost Arrow Spire Tip as I'm cleaning the last pitch. Photo taken by a... By smithclimber
[EDIT] [DELETE]
9.14 -- Chelsea on Don Jaun - Chelsea Griffie leading up the crux pitch of Don Juan (5.11b). She sent this route with such ease, t... By mreardon
[EDIT] [DELETE]
9.09 -- CAT on Birdcage - Chris Tartaglia negotiates the strenuous roof of Birdcage (5.10) Gunks, NY.... By the_alpine
[EDIT] [DELETE]
9.08 -- It's All In Your Mind #3. - We've all thought it. "What if that little rock was big enough to climb?" Or, "If I was only small e... By coldclimb
[EDIT] [DELETE]
9.08 -- Self Summit ridge Sultana in background - Photo of myself taken on the Summit ridge july 18th 1991. Did full ski descent via Rescue-gully (nex... By skiclimb
[EDIT] [DELETE]
9.04 -- Nomads Saints and Indians grade 29 (5.13b), Millenium Caves, Grampians - Greg on the crazy roof of Nomads Saints and Indians grade 29 (5.13b), Millenium Caves, Grampians, Au... By orangeoverhang
[EDIT] [DELETE]
9.00 -- Streaker and Christianity Spires - Streaker Spire on the right and Christianity Spire on the left. Streakers route traverses the light... By ullr
[EDIT] [DELETE]
9.00 -- The Matterhorn at sunrise - Picture of the Matterhorn at about 6 in the morning after an open bivy. Didn't climb any routes, ju... By soccer_fan
[EDIT] [DELETE]
9.00 -- summit cone of Orizaba - Cool clouds near the summit of Orizaba in March 2004. The penitentes were no fun to walk down.... By atg200
[EDIT] [DELETE]
9.00 -- Early morning alpenglow - Morning alpenglow on east faces of Mt. Whitney and Keeler Needle. The place is woth seeing for just ... By kris_g
[EDIT] [DELETE]
9.00 -- Family unit 11d - This was a trip a few climbing buddys of mine and I took in fall of 03 This is at Rifle and the rout... By rckjck12a
[EDIT] [DELETE]
9.00 -- Le Ticket, Le Carre, Le Rond, et La Lune - This beautiful route is located on the North Face of the Aiguille du Peigne, high above the village ... By edge
[EDIT] [DELETE]
9.00 -- CAT on Caustic - The road-trip wonderchild Christian Tartaglia enjoying a leisurely jaunt up Caustic on a quick pitst... By the_alpine
[EDIT] [DELETE]
8.96 -- Spire in Big Sur - This is me and two friends climbing Slate's Spire it Big Sur California. It's not much of a climb (... By isaidwhat
[EDIT] [DELETE]
8.95 -- Yur doing it - Mike Moore, pulling through crux numero uno on Keep Your Powder Dry 12b. photo by Michael Chaffin... By mchaff2
[EDIT] [DELETE]
8.93 -- Poseidon Adventure I - Audrey snapped this one of me. I've posted two images of this route (Poseidon Adventure .12b). Thi... By pollo
[EDIT] [DELETE]

mreardon

Mar 23, 2004, 5:07 PM
Post #19 of 93 (7700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Some of his photos are really good, but some of them just aren't that great. I think if any other user on the site submitted the exact same shots they would not be rated nearly as high. And many of them are pretty much the exact same shot over and over again, a pic of a ripped back on a steep chalk highway. It might be novel at first but after you see a couple hundred shots of the grampians you feel like you've already been there.

You mean his shots posted on ROCKCLIMBING.com are actually shots of people rock climbing? :shock: What's next, people that post on this site actually talking about climbing too?

raindog

Mar 23, 2004, 5:15 PM
Post #20 of 93 (7700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree. His shots, to me, are cliche and boring.

Then again, so are most of the photos on this site or in the climbing mags. "xxxxx at the crux of xxxxx xxxxxxx (5.xxd)." It really doesn't matter, though, we don't have to like them if we don't want to.

-Jeff

josephine

Mar 23, 2004, 5:18 PM
Post #21 of 93 (7700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Then again, so are most of the photos on this site or in the climbing mags. "xxxxx at the crux of xxxxx xxxxxxx (5.xxd)." It really doesn't matter, though, we don't have to like them if we don't want to.

-Jeff

ACK :shock: :shock:

tucsonalex

Mar 23, 2004, 5:20 PM
Post #22 of 93 (7700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

-Jeff

Right on raindog! Someone else finally has the sack to speak up! The lemmings of this site would vote anything a 10 if it has oo's name on it.

Partner rrrADAM

Mar 23, 2004, 5:30 PM
Post #23 of 93 (7700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep, you caught us... We actually have a Forum that only you cannot see but all else can where all the "lemmings" of the site conspire to vote Neil's pics up, and yours down.

Funny you would call us "lemmings", as that actually is in the title of the Forum:
OrangeOverhang's Lemmings

We are also trying to get the developers to make it so all of his pics are just automatically scored higher, as this would save all of the users the work of having to vote them all 10's manually. :lol:

NEWSFLASH !!! Users like his pics, and they vote as such. Many of his climbing pics don't even allow voting, and to be honest brutha, some of his lowest rated pics (5's) are better than your highest rated picture... No offense, but this is just my oppinion, as you have your's about his pics. All have one vote, and they use it how they wish. :wink:

tucsonalex

Mar 23, 2004, 5:40 PM
Post #24 of 93 (7700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What does this have to do with my photos Adam? Mine suck and I don't submit that many. While oo's photos may be better than mine they are certainly not worthy of all the jerking off that the members of this site do to them. Climbnow1 and jut have submitted much higher quality stuff.

Partner rrrADAM

Mar 23, 2004, 5:43 PM
Post #25 of 93 (7700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alex, the last was posted in response to this:
In reply to:
The lemmings of this site would vote anything a 10 if it has oo's name on it.

Calling all how like his pics "lemmings" is a bit inflamitory don't you think ???

And I agree that climbnow1 and jut have great pics, and they are scored just as high.. Neil just submits more pics therefore his are shown more frequently. Get them to submit more pics, and you may start a thread about their's being on the FP too much.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook