First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

wonder1978

Apr 5, 2004, 4:24 AM
Post #26 of 46 (579 views)
Shortcut

Re: Fishing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thought fishing was all about a bunch of guys leaving their women home and getting pissed drunked in the utlimate male bonding moment. If it's as I imagine it, I'd love to give it a try, as long as it doesn't require actual fishing.

wildtrail

Apr 5, 2004, 6:37 AM
Post #27 of 46 (579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I do. Catch and release only.

Wiscoinsin is a fisherman's paradise. 14,000+ lakes, rivers, streams, creeks, flowages, and two Great Lakes. Not too shabby if one likes to spend time in a boat. :wink:

raindog

Apr 5, 2004, 6:51 AM
Post #28 of 46 (579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I grew up on a trout stream in Upstate New York. I used to come home from school and go fishing. Fly fishing, of course. It was a super good time.

-Jeff

Partner tradman

Apr 5, 2004, 11:41 AM
Post #29 of 46 (579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't know why folks bother with clever fish like freshwater ones. Fish in the sea are much dumber, specially mackerel. I've got a bunck of hooks tied to a roll of garden twine with a piece of shiny car aerial on the bottom. Chuck that over the side and wait for five minutes - they go mad for it.

I only fish when I'm hungry though, I guess I'm taking some of the sport out of it.

Partner philbox

Apr 5, 2004, 8:31 PM
Post #30 of 46 (579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Heh, I caught a 28 pound Spanish Mackeral up on the reef about 8 years ago. Wow, do those guys fight.

beaner_says_hi

Apr 5, 2004, 9:07 PM
Post #31 of 46 (579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Now that, is a catch and a half! :D

pinktricam

Apr 5, 2004, 11:09 PM
Post #32 of 46 (579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Does Northern Pike count as fish? :?

Absolutely! In fact, I have a picture of myself standing next to an 8 ft. northern pike....heh. Actually they don't grow but to 4 ft. and the one I'm standing in front of I sculpted in copper and brass for a client. It now hangs in front of his home in Wakarusa, IN.

PS I wouldn't eat one Beaner. From what I hear, they're more of a catch and release gamefish poor in food quality.

danooguy

Apr 6, 2004, 12:51 AM
Post #33 of 46 (579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm standing in front of I sculpted in copper and brass for a client

Photos please. And pics of anything else you've done. Copper and brass sounds like it would be hard to do it justice in a photo.

beaner_says_hi

Apr 6, 2004, 4:42 AM
Post #34 of 46 (579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Does Northern Pike count as fish? :?

Absolutely! In fact, I have a picture of myself standing next to an 8 ft. northern pike....heh. Actually they don't grow but to 4 ft. and the one I'm standing in front of I sculpted in copper and brass for a client. It now hangs in front of his home in Wakarusa, IN.

PS I wouldn't eat one Beaner. From what I hear, they're more of a catch and release gamefish poor in food quality.

Of course, with my skills in cooking fish, who would know the difference! :D My biggest was some 32 inches. I do have a picture. I was a young'un when I cought it, though. Not really big as Northern Pike go, probably. But it was fun at the time. Wish I had a scanner.

jumpingrock

Apr 6, 2004, 5:04 AM
Post #35 of 46 (579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fishing is BORING!!!!!!!!

My parents took me every year for 15 years to the coast! Oi bored me to bleeding tears! This year I said screw it and went to Squamish . Second best week of my life next to the week in JT.

pinktricam

Apr 6, 2004, 11:40 AM
Post #36 of 46 (579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Photos please. And pics of anything else you've done. Copper and brass sounds like it would be hard to do it justice in a photo.

I need to hook up my scanner. When I do, you'll get the pics.

wildtrail

Apr 6, 2004, 12:19 PM
Post #37 of 46 (579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Started fishing for the first time two years ago this summer. Hadn't done it since I was a kid around 12 years old. Caught my first real fish in July of 2002. 36" Northern Pike. Long, but a little skinny at 8 pounds. Should have been more like 10, then she would have been really big.

scubasnyder

Apr 6, 2004, 12:33 PM
Post #38 of 46 (579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fishing is only fun when you catch stuff, otherwise i agree its boring, but after you get good at it then its fun.

wildtrail

Apr 6, 2004, 12:44 PM
Post #39 of 46 (579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I disagree. I enjoy it even if you don't catch anything all day. You're out in the sun on the water, it's quiet, it's nice.

Stupid bumper sticker, but true: "A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work."

rltodd00

Apr 6, 2004, 3:26 PM
Post #40 of 46 (579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to say I love fishing almost as much as I love climbing. When I go I usually spend at least 12 hours on the rivers fly-fishing or longer if there is still daylight (even if they arent biting). I just cant seem to get enough of it, usually catch and release unless someone requests a fish (I dont eat them myself). If anyone is in CO and wants to go sometime just let me know.

Rob

cerikpete

Apr 6, 2004, 3:28 PM
Post #41 of 46 (579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I disagree. I enjoy it even if you don't catch anything all day. You're out in the sun on the water, it's quiet, it's nice.

Stupid bumper sticker, but true: "A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work."

Agree to all of that. I'll never get tired of fishing.

rltodd00

Apr 6, 2004, 3:29 PM
Post #42 of 46 (579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

I need to hook up my scanner. When I do, you'll get the pics.

Actually I would like to see that myself. I have done some carvings out of wood and have wondered how difficult bronze would be.

Rob

danooguy

Apr 7, 2004, 2:09 AM
Post #43 of 46 (579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
need to hook up my scanner. When I do, you'll get the pics.

I'll be waiting. Shoot me a PM and let me know which thread its going to be on or whatever.

I love pictures and I love sculpture.

And pepperoni pizza too.

rngrchad

Apr 7, 2004, 7:12 PM
Post #44 of 46 (579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If people did not hunt, there would be over population and cause many problems.
Not true. There are few if any instances where humans *had* to take part in proper "managment" of a species(other than to save one from extinction etc). The reason this mentality exsists is because there is something called "political acceptance level". When this level has been met, the acceptability for the public to co-exsists with this species has been met. Look at deer for example, theie habitat in most all mid-western states could support hundreds of thousands more deer but, we hunt them because we deem them "over-populated by oour standards when in fact in relation to their habitat they are not overpopulated.

SHEESH....what a tangent I got on.....forgive me :shock:

danooguy

Apr 8, 2004, 2:34 AM
Post #45 of 46 (579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Look at deer for example, theie habitat in most all mid-western states could support hundreds of thousands more deer but, we hunt them because we deem them "over-populated by oour standards when in fact in relation to their habitat they are not overpopulated.

False.

Every acre of land has a maximum carrying capacity. When that carrying capacity is exceeded, the species suffers, whitetail deer included. Each animal requires a certain amount of browse. The amount available per acre is finite.
In some parts of the midwest the deer populations are so high that they are browsing in suburban areas on the landscaping of residential homes.

Huge tracts of land in the midwest have long ago been cleared of all trees for agricultural uses, further reducing food sources for whitetail deer.

Each female produces 2 or 3 fawns annually. 90 to 95% of all does are bred annually. Eliminate hunting and do the math for say five years. Do it. The numbers will knock your socks off.

Add to that the fact that the whitetail is subject to next to NO predation (very very few bears, almost no cougars per square mile in the midwest compared to say the 19th century and prior) other than man, and factor in the damage and death caused by car/deer accidents annually in more densely populated areas where hunting is generally limited or prohibited altogether.

Eliminate hunting and their numbers will eventually be thinned...by disease and starvation.

rngrchad

Apr 13, 2004, 9:58 PM
Post #46 of 46 (579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good post Dano. I agree with your statements, and they stand true in many aspects of areas in the midwest. I was a little bit narrow-minded in my last post and was in a hurry between classes also. But main fact being, you hit the nail on the head when you stated the limiting factors of disease and starvation ultimately controlling populations. :D

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook