RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

Partner taualum23

May 19, 2004, 1:16 PM
Post #1 of 12 (2148 views)
Shortcut

RICE treatment for mild A2 injury
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey all. I finally went and did it. Sending my hardest boulder problem, felt the electric-shock like 'bzat' through my hand and arm. Not a "pop" and I'm thankful for that. I am guessing I've got a partial A2 tear. My ring finger hurts right where at the joint where it meets the palm of my hand. I might have just strained it, and I am hopefull, it feels fine until I put some pressure on it, or bend it in some ways than it is quite painful for a moment.
I'm going to rest it, ice it, and maybe a bit of comporession (tape during the day?) Besides "go see a doctor" and "don't rush back to climbing" anybody have any advice for me?
I did a search, by the way, and found mostly discussion of more serious injuries. If you feel I should just follow those posts, don't bother replying with a "do a search."
Anyone else, I could really use some advice.

reno

May 19, 2004, 3:51 PM
Post #2 of 12 (2148 views)
Shortcut

Re: RICE treatment for mild A2 injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm going to rest it, ice it, and maybe a bit of comporession (tape during the day?) Besides "go see a doctor" and "don't rush back to climbing" anybody have any advice for me?

Some over-the-counter advil, mortin, or other ibuprofen tablet will help reduce the inflammation. Advil comes in 200 mg tablets. Three of those (600 mg,) three times a day (every 8 hours) is safe. Be sure to have food in your stomach when you take them, or the advil can irritate your stomach lining.

jason1

May 19, 2004, 5:02 PM
Post #3 of 12 (2148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

don't undertake an ibprofin regimine half assed... that stuff is not good, especiallly in quantity.... you're not even supposed to stop it cold turkey...

the best thing i've found is lots of water, massage to remove scar tissue build up, and range of motion exercizes..

the most likely thing was that you were dehydrated when you sustained the injury...

3 IB 3x daily is way to much.

Partner taualum23

May 19, 2004, 5:18 PM
Post #4 of 12 (2148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the input. Due to a funky blood disorder (ideopathic thromocytopenic pupura) I can't take ibuprofen anyway, so argument settled.

reno

May 19, 2004, 5:24 PM
Post #5 of 12 (2148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
don't undertake an ibprofin regimine half assed... that stuff is not good, especiallly in quantity.... you're not even supposed to stop it cold turkey...

According to whom? Ibuprofen is a mainstay in orthopedic care... has been for a while. Plenty of evidence that it is effective, safe, and efficacious when used appropriately.

In reply to:
3 IB 3x daily is way to much.

Funny. Every pharmaceutical reference I have (six of 'em, in case you were wondering,) lists 3 x 800 mg daily as a safe dose. On what basis do you claim 3 x 600 mg daily is too much?

jason1

May 19, 2004, 5:56 PM
Post #6 of 12 (2148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

a while ago my mom had a patient fall on her... ruptured a disk... the dr. put her on NSAID's of about the same dose.... granted she is pretty small... a few weeks later she started to have weird bruising that crept up her leg from her calf... after that we learned the consequence of IB on blood vessels...

also, John's hopkins did studies on how it affected heart benifits provided by ASA... the conclusion was that as little as a 2 week stint on the NSAID's did away with all the benifits of the ASA treatment....

look into it... read the PDR... Look how it compares to Celebrex... IB is great on a short term to reduce swelling as a result of trauma, but i wouldn't suggest it for a cronic injury.

reno

May 19, 2004, 6:31 PM
Post #7 of 12 (2148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
a while ago my mom had a patient fall on her... ruptured a disk... the dr. put her on NSAID's of about the same dose.... granted she is pretty small... a few weeks later she started to have weird bruising that crept up her leg from her calf... after that we learned the consequence of IB on blood vessels...

While I certainly don't want you to reveal confidential information about your mother, is it possible she has/had any other medical conditions? Those must be considered when ibuprofen therapy is begun. Renal failure, peptic ulcerations, ITP, EDTA imbalance, etc.

In reply to:
also, John's hopkins did studies on how it affected heart benifits provided by ASA... the conclusion was that as little as a 2 week stint on the NSAID's did away with all the benifits of the ASA treatment....

I read the study, and while the results are somewhat interesting, they are not conclusive, nor do they apply here. ASA works for cardiac disease by inhibiting platelet aggregation. Ibuprofen works on inflammation by limiting the prostaglandin synthesis, reducing inflammation. Two VASTLY different pharmacokinetic properties. Ibuprofen may limit the effectiveness of ASA, but that doesn't mean ibuprofen isn't effective in reducing inflammation, which is the basis of the original question.

In reply to:
look into it... read the PDR... Look how it compares to Celebrex... IB is great on a short term to reduce swelling as a result of trauma, but i wouldn't suggest it for a cronic injury.

I've read the PDR; I've read up on Celebrex, which is a different drug with different properties (Co-Enzyme X-2 inhibitor...want the physiology behind that, too?) and have a lot of experience as a medical provider AND patient with Ibuprofen. It works well for the majority of people, and is safe.

curt

May 19, 2004, 6:48 PM
Post #8 of 12 (2148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The advice of taking an anti-inflamatory regimen for these types of injuries is a good one, assuming of course that you don't have some bad side affects from doing so.

In addition:

1) Do not climb for at least a few weeks.

2) Do ice the area a few times a day.

3) Some Glucosamine / MSM type of regimen may help.

4) Deep massage and heat will help rebuild the tissues damaged. Do not start to apply any heat to the area until any swelling from the injury has diminished, though. Doing so will defeat the purpose of the icing--which is to keep swelling down.

5) Tape the finger up when you do return to climbing--and take it easy at first. If it still hurts--STOP right away.

And, no, I'm not a doctor, but I have had several of these types of injuries over the years. Hope this helps a bit.

Curt

marks

May 19, 2004, 6:57 PM
Post #9 of 12 (2148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have injured pullys twice,i am just about recovered from my last one.here are my tips
it will take at least 3 months until you are fully climbing on it again
have a cup of very hot water and a cup of very cold water with ice in it.leave your finger in each until iyou have to take it out then put it in the other cup.you will feel it tingling where the injury is.
take it easy climbing on it.tape up both sides of the injury.as soon as you have finished climbing take the tape off,it stops the blood circulating properly.

boss

May 19, 2004, 7:01 PM
Post #10 of 12 (2148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

NSAIDs, ice, a few days of rest...then do some range of motion exercises. Keeping things flexible is very important, but don't put any unnecessary strain on your finger.

Partner climbinginchico

May 19, 2004, 8:49 PM
Post #11 of 12 (2148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ibuprofen gave me ulcers, anyone should be careful taking it. Vioxx (my personal fave- doesn't screw with my stomach and its one a day) works wonders, and is only 25 or 50 mg pills. Stretch the finger and don't work it too much. Some time off would be in order. And massage does wonders for breaking up scar tissue.

Partner drrock

May 19, 2004, 9:27 PM
Post #12 of 12 (2148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do what curt says.

You may get lucky and this passes in a week or two, but if it lasts longer just be patient. Ibuprofen is generally considered safe for the masses at 800 mg three times a day, and just because somebody's mom had a problem does not make the medication unsafe. In this case, it doesn't matter since the original poster can't take it anyway.

Good luck. I had a complete rupture and within 3-4 months I was climbing back where I started. So yours shouldn't last that long.

Edit: 800 mg three times a day for acute use, not chronic.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook