Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
too hot to climb? and partners.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

lylabob

Jul 25, 2004, 11:04 PM
Post #1 of 4 (2160 views)
Shortcut

too hot to climb? and partners.  (North_America: United_States: Illinois: South: Jackson_Falls__Climbing_Routes_)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

It's likely I'll be back in So. Ill. visiting family in August--I'm an Illinoisan by birth but live and climb in Seattle now--and have been away long enough that I'm not sure how late-summer weather there would be for getting on the walls. Is it too muggy as a rule (paralyzing sweat-fests seemed the rule when I was a kid), or should I just check local weather and go? Don't want to haul the gear if there's not a chance I'll use it!

Neither family nor So. Ill. friends climb, so I'd also be looking for partners.

:P

roboclimber

Jul 26, 2004, 12:28 AM
Post #2 of 4 (2160 views)
Shortcut

Re: too hot to climb? and partners. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was in Illinois for the 4th of July and it was very humid and hot. The climbing was great, but I was sweating the whole time I was out and about (and this was an overcast day). The climbing is worth it, but you sweat the entire time that you are climbing. I am from Seattle originally, and there are so few places were the weather during the summer is temperate. Add the fact that most of the climbing is on granite in Washington and I miss the place already! Let me know when you are going to be in the southern Illinois area and I may come join you; I am about 5 hours away.

roboclimber

Jul 26, 2004, 12:30 AM
Post #3 of 4 (2160 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was in Illinois for the 4th of July and it was very humid and hot. The climbing was great, but I was sweating the whole time I was out and about (and this was an overcast day). The climbing is worth it, but you sweat the entire time that you are climbing. I am from Seattle originally, and there are so few places were the weather during the summer is temperate. Add the fact that most of the climbing is on granite in Washington and I miss the place already! Let me know when you are going to be in the southern Illinois area and I may come join you; I am about 5 hours away.

steelfoot

Jul 29, 2004, 4:27 PM
Post #4 of 4 (2160 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I live a little over an hour from So. Ill. and I can tell you that we've had some real moderate weather this season. I would just check weather.com and check the 10-day forecast for Vienna. Keep your eye on the humity percentage. I went to Jackson Falls two weekends ago and it was very nice in the shade.

If it were me I'd plan on bringing my gear as long as rain wasn't in the forecast. PM me if you need someone to climb with.

steelfoot

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook