RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

andc

Jun 15, 2004, 8:00 AM
Post #1 of 12 (2252 views)
Shortcut

comfort zone
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This past weekend I moved out of my comfort zone with bouldering, normally I climb V4. This weekend I happened to be climbing with some real hard core boulders and was encourage to try out this V6 problem. Well I surprised my self on it by almost finishing it, just couldn't stick the last hold long enough to top out. The main thing is I would never have tried this problem and it is made me think that I should be trying harder stuff and get away from the familar and push the grade harder. has anyone else had this experience of enlightenment to move to harder problems?

overlord

Jun 15, 2004, 8:03 AM
Post #2 of 12 (2252 views)
Shortcut

Re: comfort zone [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yes, you should always have a proj or two a bit harder than your normal level to study. its good for motivation, but only if you dont fall off too much.

c-money
Deleted

Jun 15, 2004, 8:09 AM
Post #3 of 12 (2252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you don't work harder climbs, you are just not going to be able to progress....

Its nice to head out with climbers above your level to get that push once in a while...

clarki

Jun 15, 2004, 12:38 PM
Post #4 of 12 (2252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Of course you should try hard problems! Isn't that what bouldering is for?? Definately do problems within your limits but without all the thrutching, wildly flinging at tiny out of reach holds, bouldering just wouldn't be the same. Just make sure your friends know how to spot!!!!!

I really enjoy climbing with people who are stronger than me, it enables me to watch, listen and learn how to improve in ways I could never do by myself or with people who climb at the same level as I. There are dozens of problems here (NC) that I have been completely spanked on over and over again. Cool part is when you approach the same problem, say, a season later and it actually goes or at least enters the realm of the possible. Makes you feel pretty good even if you still can't pull it off, at least you improved!

Partner archae13

Jun 15, 2004, 8:25 PM
Post #5 of 12 (2252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like to use some problems to run laps -- I usually climb a step or two below my average on these "stamina" days. I push my limits on problems one or two steps above my average on "technique" days.

Doing this, I have avoided burn-out caused by getting my butt kicked constantly on problems too bloody hard, and have moved my average from 2 grades in the last year.

CW

wa_hoo

Jun 30, 2004, 3:26 AM
Post #6 of 12 (2252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:D I couldn't agree more. I always try a handlful of problems above my ability (usually in the gym). Each time I go I work on them a bit, and every week or two I get one more move. I feel really good for getting stronger and better and after a few months, I can do many moves on many problems at the higher level and...

I think you have to climb lower sometimes to focus on areas to improve - like foot placement or better finger placement or new moves or whatever, but also higher to push yourself, see what you are capable of and move ahead! Both ends are important.

needtolearnhowtoclimb

Jul 13, 2004, 1:00 AM
Post #7 of 12 (2252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I like to use some problems to run laps -- I usually climb a step or two below my average on these "stamina" days. I push my limits on problems one or two steps above my average on "technique" days.

Doing this, I have avoided burn-out caused by getting my butt kicked constantly on problems too bloody hard, and have moved my average from 2 grades in the last year.

CW
i couldnt agree with you more. When we go out, we usually do the normal warm up problems, then we go and do this traverse that is about 100-150 feet long, but it gets super crimpy towards the end. we use that to build stamina, and then we try the harder, more technical boulders. i love/live for climbing, and that is one way to improve very rapidly.

topher

Jul 23, 2004, 4:23 AM
Post #8 of 12 (2252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i didnt realize there was suck a thing as a comfort zone with grades well boulder.. i can see if its a big multie pitch route but with bouldering just try any thing and any thing so ya fall what ever.. you get back up and try try try again....

brad_man

Jul 31, 2004, 6:25 PM
Post #9 of 12 (2252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with topher

The whole idea of boulering is to try crazy stuff you typically wouldn't on lead or something, because if you fall....who cares

curt

Jul 31, 2004, 7:10 PM
Post #10 of 12 (2252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It seems to me that this is a good example of why you should ignore the numbers altogether. You made pretty good progress on a V6, but you may also find a V3 someplace that will kick your butt. Just get on the problems that look appealing to you--you'll have more fun that way.

Curt

clmsntgrs2

Aug 3, 2004, 3:41 AM
Post #11 of 12 (2252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had been climbing in my comfort zone (v2) and i set my own route which was rated at v3 and i worked at it and got it the other day, and i also started working on a v4 and have gotten about half of it. I think it is good to work on something that is out of your level even if you do fall off alot it is great to work on routes 1 or 2 levels above you because it makes you stronger and it also helps you out with technique.

tcantor333

Aug 7, 2004, 7:26 PM
Post #12 of 12 (2252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It seems to me that this is a good example of why you should ignore the numbers altogether. You made pretty good progress on a V6, but you may also find a V3 someplace that will kick your butt. Just get on the problems that look appealing to you--you'll have more fun that way.

Curt

Well put Curt. And so it goes!!!

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook