Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Sandbagged or soft?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

ax

Jul 12, 2004, 10:16 PM
Post #1 of 7 (2629 views)
Shortcut

Sandbagged or soft?  (North_America: Canada: British_Columbia: Okanagan: SKAHA: The_Fortress)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

At Devils Lake WI...
are the routes considered sandbagged or soft?

Also... I may be heading out that way on a little business trip next week and may take an extra day for climbing on Thursday the 22nd.
It'd be nice to have a partner that day to rope up and get on a few of the harder routes.

Anybody reliable climbers/belayers available?

ax

Jul 13, 2004, 12:28 AM
Post #2 of 7 (2629 views)
Shortcut

Re: Sandbagged or soft? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

OK... guess I'll post this on http://www.climbingdevilslake.com too.

(bump)

matixa

Jul 13, 2004, 1:18 AM
Post #3 of 7 (2629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey!

I live in/near minneapolis and am always up for a road trip (!), however I have a friend coming up the 23rd (we're talking July, right?)and can't get away that weekend.

If you got another weekend here I'd love to go. FYI-I climb 5.10ish, but have always been a 2nd on trad. Also, I've been to most places around here (blue mounds, red wing, taylors), but haven't been to Devil's Lake...Yet! So-sorry-no beta for ya.

e-mail if you get another chance to go. I'd love to check it out myself.

jookyhead

Jul 13, 2004, 2:21 AM
Post #4 of 7 (2629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From what I've heard, the climbs can be hard for their grade, but mostly due to the type of rock.

ax

Jul 13, 2004, 3:52 AM
Post #5 of 7 (2629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey!

Thanks anyway but being a business trip it'd be a one day during the week thing... which from what I've heard is the only way to beat the crowds there. I'm coming from Michigan so for weekend roadtrips The Red and The New seem to be alot more worth the 6-7 hour drive.

In reply to:
From what I've heard, the climbs can be hard for their grade, but mostly due to the type of rock.

Awesome! ... the harder the better ;)

Thanks...

PEACE

Well I suppose I'll find out how good the bouldering is there then... heh heh...

ramylson

Jul 28, 2004, 3:12 PM
Post #6 of 7 (2629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The majority of the climbs at DL are sand-bagged. Typically, almost two grades (a 5.8 is probably more along the lines of a 5.9+ elsewhere). But, it's all relative, and definitely doesn't hold true to every climb. Anyway, a lot of this happened due the nature of the development of the area during it's "time". Also, taking into effect that a lot of the face climbing is done on top-rope versus lead. During the hardman era, a lot of these face climbs have actually been led. In fact, most of the locals will say that any route can be led at the lake, but you'll really have to "work" gear. I know of several accounts of duct taping hooks to dime edges as "protection".. :shock: :wink:

Bouldering can be iffy, but it depends on what you're into and what you're looking for. There are a lot of good problems at the lake that really haven't be mentioned on the site, due to where they're located or when it was developed. Kind of a local deal I guess, but a lot of it is an effort to keep any issues from developing between climbers and DLSP/DNR (remember, we don't have a climbing plan and things look kind of iffy for the future). Anyway, the biggest problem is going to be protecting landings, as there's almost always some jagged rock sitting right in the landing zone.

wildtrail

Aug 30, 2004, 8:01 AM
Post #7 of 7 (2629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Right. They are sandbagged in essence that the ratings are soft. Expect the routes to climb harder than their actual rating.

Cracks like Berkeley and Brinton's (both 5.6) are NOT for the 5.6 leader. You best be proficient at leading 5.9 to not have the route scare the hell out of you. :wink:

The rock is very smooth quartzite. The rock does not offer friction.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook