RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

toasty

Sep 13, 2004, 6:22 PM
Post #1 of 9 (1959 views)
Shortcut

I blew out my chest 10 months ago and it's still not healed
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The first time I injured my chest was 10 months ago. I kept up a rigorous rock climbing and yoga schedule because I wanted to be very good (this was when I had first started climbing). One day after I was done with a yoga session, I felt a little tightness in my chest. I attributed this to increased strength, not any injury. From then on, whenever I climbed or did yoga I would feel that tightness again. This went on for a few weeks and I didn't think anything of it. One day I got on the wall and it was a bit sore, but I figured I had just used it too much the other day and I'd take a break for a few days when I was done climbing that day. Well, I did a very long reach move (full arm extension) with my right hand. When my right hand closed around the hold and I started to pull myself up, I experienced immediate excruciating pain while hearing something in my chest go *krrk*. I fell off the wall and quickly hobbled to a chair. I couldn't take a breath without feeling agony and it was literally impossible for me to stand up or lean over; if my arms had to hang in any way I could not do it. Three hours and a huge pack of ice later, I was able to stand up and walk to my friend's car and get back to my house. For the next two weeks, I experienced pain whenever I got up and moved. Eventually, I could walk without hurting. Meanwhile, I talked to my uncle (a doctor) and he said to work back in to it, since I'd messed up my tendons: wait a full month and a half, then do pushups off a wall, angled pushups off a wall, more angled pushups off a wall, knee pushups, and finally full-fledged pushups. I did this with success, but even after I had healed most of it I kept getting occasional reocurring, sharp chest pain.

Even when I didn't exercise at all, this pain would continue. I finally went to another doctor this summer, who said that I had Tietze's Syndrome and prescribed some anti-inflammatory medicine. The medicine supposedly drained built-up fluid in my chest wall. I finished the medicine and took it easy for another month afterwards to make sure I was all healed up. Well, I've been climbing since I got back to school and it didn't hurt. Then last week I did yoga and boom, the next morning the pains were back. (I think it's that damn Plank form that got me). I haven't done any exercise at *all* since my chest started hurting again, and it still has a twinge of soreness every now and then but nothing that hurts very badly.

My questions are as follows:

Are there any exercises I can do to strengthen my chest and take away the pain?
Are there any over-the-counter medicines I can take in case any fluid's built up in there?
If the pain won't go away, will I risk tearing up my chest again if I climb through it since sitting around doesn't seem to affect it either way?

basecamp

Sep 13, 2004, 6:33 PM
Post #2 of 9 (1959 views)
Shortcut

Re: I blew out my chest 10 months ago and it's still not hea [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think your question should be directed to an actual doctor. I mean if this is re-occurring there could be something more wrong than what you think. I wouldn't mess with chest pains... I have had heart surgery once already for a birth defect, that really messed up my entire life because it "supposedly" limits what I'm supposed to do and not do (i.e. I'm not supposed to climb... don't know why but I'm not supposed to.) Anyways if I get chest pains bro I run for the doc. I would have them do either an echo on ya to make sure your heart isn't having problems (I don't care how old you are Heart disease isn't biased either.)

As for exercises and medicine.... the doc's will know man!!! Good luck... you might just want to take a year off and focus on healing... take a year and let it all heal up..

send513

Sep 13, 2004, 7:09 PM
Post #3 of 9 (1959 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, go see a REAL doctor!!! and one who has experience with your problem!

and then, I think Physical Therapy!!

good luck

toasty

Sep 13, 2004, 10:49 PM
Post #4 of 9 (1959 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
yeah, go see a REAL doctor!!! and one who has experience with your problem!

and then, I think Physical Therapy!!

good luck

Well, I've been to two, and neither could help me. I looked up Tietze's Syndrome online (also goes by another name; cochondritis (sic)) and apparently there's no cure for it other than taking pain medicine. I was hoping somebody else who'd had it and gotten over it would be able to recommend something.

bluetrout

Sep 13, 2004, 10:58 PM
Post #5 of 9 (1959 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That is a bummer that you have been to two doctors already but sounds like you need to get to another one. How did that doctor conclude that you had fluid build up in your chest? Did they do any xrays, ultrasounds or cat scans? Also (depending on how old you are and how bad the initial injury was) sometimes injurys like that can take alot longer to heal than you think and if you don't give it enough time to heal you are taking two steps backward.

billcoe_

Sep 17, 2004, 3:41 AM
Post #6 of 9 (1959 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I experienced immediate excruciating pain while hearing something in my chest go *krrk*

Ouch!

KrrK??! Not sure if that is a soft popping sound (tendon) or a Kracking sound which I am interpreting it to be. Hearing something like that may mean a tendon popped, but it could also mean you had a bone move. You might be better able to know that from your memory of what it sounded like.

In either case, if you believe it was a tendon, you can research that, but you will find that it will take more than a week or 2 totally off to recover. It will take much longer to heal than a broken bone.

I wonder if perhaps a Chiropractor could be of greatest assistance?

Go with your instincts and creep back into it, nice and slow. Good luck!

thurgood

Sep 17, 2004, 4:27 AM
Post #7 of 9 (1959 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my sternum "pops" quite often, in fact almost every other day, sometimes it hurts a lot(but vary rarely) i always thought it was one of my ribs being loose or someting

valeberga

Sep 17, 2004, 5:05 AM
Post #8 of 9 (1959 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So you reinjured it doing yoga? What kind of yoga are you doing? I'd be worried about some yoga moves overstretching/overexerting/hyperextending the damaged area. I mean stretching is good, but some kinds of yoga can get pretty intense.

toasty

Sep 18, 2004, 10:01 PM
Post #9 of 9 (1959 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So you reinjured it doing yoga? What kind of yoga are you doing? I'd be worried about some yoga moves overstretching/overexerting/hyperextending the damaged area. I mean stretching is good, but some kinds of yoga can get pretty intense.

Power yoga.

I was wrong about the name of the form; it's "Fish" not "Plank."

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook