RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

daryl314

Oct 19, 2004, 11:49 PM
Post #1 of 14 (5989 views)
Shortcut

smashed fingernail?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i slammed my finger in a door today, and the base of the nail is now black. i have no idea how that will affect my climbing. if i lose the nail, does that mean i won't be able to climb until it grows back? any advice? i've never smashed a fingernail, so i don't really know what to expect.

asaph

Oct 20, 2004, 12:02 AM
Post #2 of 14 (5989 views)
Shortcut

Re: smashed fingernail? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, i've heard it called a subungal hematoma (sp?) and basically it's just a bruise under your nail. I've lost one before this way... same way, actually. mine was a door too. But after the first few days i dont think i paid much attention. I kept a bandaid over the fleshy part of my finger and tried to avoid doing too much manual labor. the last part was just because im lazy though.
I've also heard that you can avoid the whole process by making a small hole in the nail above the blood spot to release the pressure. I've heard this could be done with a small drill bit, though that scares me, or a hot paper clip/staple.
My recommendation is just to take it day by day and see how it goes. if you lose it you lose it. if you dont, you've got a fun black spot under your nail until it grows out. best of luck!
-Asaph

jbell2355

Oct 20, 2004, 12:07 AM
Post #3 of 14 (5989 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Does it look like this?

http://www.geocities.com/jesse_bell/DSC00222.JPG

This is actually my toenail. It happened 2 or 3 months ago and hasn't fallen off yet. It doesn't really hurt any more and if it was my finger, climbing wouldn't be a problem. I think you'll be fine.

joshklingbeil

Oct 20, 2004, 12:11 AM
Post #4 of 14 (5989 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I smashed my nail a few weeks ago .And It's got abought a week until it falls off. I would recommend doing face climbs.It's alot less painless then jamming finger cracks.

daryl314

Oct 20, 2004, 12:24 AM
Post #5 of 14 (5989 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Does it look like this?

This is actually my toenail. It happened 2 or 3 months ago and hasn't fallen off yet. It doesn't really hurt any more and if it was my finger, climbing wouldn't be a problem. I think you'll be fine.

It isn't quite that bad yet. I have a black circle at the base of the nail that extends about halfway up the nailbed. I don't really do finger cracks, so that's not much of a problem. Anyone have any advice on how to deal with it with respect to climbing? Tape it? Don't climb on it for a certain period of time? I'm supposed to make a trip down to Horsepens in a couple of weeks, and I hope this doesn't get in the way.

kilgymrats

Oct 20, 2004, 1:17 AM
Post #6 of 14 (5989 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey man...I work as a carpenter and often try to hammer my finger nail instead of the nail i'm supposed to (i'm a moron I know). It hurts so freaking bad I know. If you're having any pain in the nail (ie. it's throbing like a son of a ..) Get a safty pin and heat it over a lighter until it's glowing red and then SLOWLY push the tip of the safty pin into the nail above the dark spot (which is blood and is causing preasure under the nail..and all the pain!). The pin will melt right through your fingernail and all the blood will come out of the tiny hole once you've made it through the nail. You may have to heat the pin a time or two..but just keep using the same hole. You'll get through.
Don't worry about burning yourself or pushing the pin into our skin under the nail. As long as you go slow you'll know the instant you break through b/c blood will come out. AHHHHHH!!! getting that preasure off feels soo good. You should be good to go do any type of climbing you want within a few hours or a day. You'll probably loose the fingernail..but it will grow back. It's fun to gross out your friends. Enjoy! Hope that helps.
~jOsh

slavetogravity

Oct 20, 2004, 1:26 AM
Post #7 of 14 (5989 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey man...I work as a carpenter and often try to hammer my finger nail instead of the nail i'm supposed to (i'm a moron I know). It hurts so freaking bad I know. If you're having any pain in the nail (ie. it's throbing like a son of a ..) Get a safty pin and heat it over a lighter until it's glowing red and then SLOWLY push the tip of the safty pin into the nail above the dark spot (which is blood and is causing preasure under the nail..and all the pain!). The pin will melt right through your fingernail and all the blood will come out of the tiny hole once you've made it through the nail. You may have to heat the pin a time or two..but just keep using the same hole. You'll get through.
Don't worry about burning yourself or pushing the pin into our skin under the nail. As long as you go slow you'll know the instant you break through b/c blood will come out. AHHHHHH!!! getting that preasure off feels soo good. You should be good to go do any type of climbing you want within a few hours or a day. You'll probably loose the fingernail..but it will grow back. It's fun to gross out your friends. Enjoy! Hope that helps.
~jOsh

Yup, just what I was going to say. Josh hit the nail on the head this time.

Oct 20, 2004, 1:34 AM
Post #8 of 14 (5989 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can also soak in hot salty water.

I am not sure why the salt water works, but it does. Well it worked for me when I smashed my finger moving a cement block. The finger was so swollen I couldn't touch anything. The finger nail was all black. My mom told me to soak it. I did and in about 1 minute blood came out from behind the nail, and all the pressure was gone. I was using that finger the next day. I did loose the nail. If you loose the nail, tape it cause it hurts when poked. :(

Good luck

Ken

forbin

Oct 20, 2004, 1:37 AM
Post #9 of 14 (5989 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You may not lose the nail, i've done this and it was fine, although it's amazing how long it takes that little hole to grow out. I recommend covering the hole with superglue while you wait, it'll keep it from getting caught on anything.

kilgymrats

Oct 20, 2004, 3:36 PM
Post #10 of 14 (5989 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Josh hit the nail on the head this time.

For once! Hahah.. :wink:

bandidopeco

Oct 20, 2004, 3:47 PM
Post #11 of 14 (5989 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The same thing happened to me in mid September, and it hasn't affected my climbing since. I've been both sport and trad climbing, so i'd say that once the throbbing pain stops (It'll stop much quicker if you put a hole in the thing to drain the blood) you can climb as normal. Mine hasn't fallen off yet, but the black part has slowly crept further up the nail, and now covers almost the entire thing. I'd say it'll fall off in a week or 2, so I'll see how it performs then. As in most things, trust your body. If it's too painfull to climb, you probably shouldn't.

mrdtm

Oct 22, 2004, 4:10 AM
Post #12 of 14 (5989 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kinda odd... this happened to me on the same day.. just alittle different.. mine was slammed in a locker quite hard.. it was instantly purlpe and swollen... though many peoples first response would cantain sum 4 letter words.. mine was.. "you suck... im climbing this weekend!!!" well when i got home i iced it and wrapped it to keep preasure.. and the next morning i let he preasure out with a hot safety pin and soaked it in soapy warm water.. it instantly felt better!... It has filled up and i have let the preasure out 3 times since then and it doesnt really hurt.. I'm planning on climbing tommorow still... good luck to ya!

oliver_baird

Oct 22, 2004, 4:36 AM
Post #13 of 14 (5989 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i second taping it if the nail falls off i cut my finger off a while back and after they rebuilt the nail bed it took a year for what nail i do have to grow back. My hand surgon also suggested taping it to keep it clean since the flesh under your nail is not meant to be exposed.

mr-pink
Deleted

Oct 22, 2004, 5:42 PM
Post #14 of 14 (5989 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

they don't always fall of
i hit my fingers once while climbing, and the whole nale was black but it never hurt. and because it was my thumb i didnt really bothered my climbing, but it did hurt if I hit it.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook