Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

climberxterra

Oct 26, 2004, 3:17 PM
Post #1 of 32 (4685 views)
Shortcut

Yoga and Climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm thinking about taking a yoga class, and I was wondering if anyone would share their opinions/experiences on the benefits of taking a yoga class to help with climbing.

neurostar

Oct 26, 2004, 3:43 PM
Post #2 of 32 (4685 views)
Shortcut

Re: Yoga and Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've actually been thinking about the same thing. I've heard that yoga is just all around good for any type of physical activity.

athena

Oct 26, 2004, 4:00 PM
Post #3 of 32 (4685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love yoga!

I really enjoy the standing poses because they give me a sense of strength and I feel like they improve my reach.

Take the class! Get centered!

:P :D :)

forkliftdaddy

Oct 26, 2004, 4:05 PM
Post #4 of 32 (4685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

flexibility is great and tends to be underemphasized by most climbers, especially by us tradsters. yoga can improve your reach a bit, but more important for me is that it improves the chances i won't be hurt when i strain or contort reach that good hold. good stuff.

that said, be careful not to agravate any nagging injuries, problem joints with it. take it slow.

wetrocks

Oct 26, 2004, 4:12 PM
Post #5 of 32 (4685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I decided to take yogo cuz I my body symetry was all out of whack. I saw that this type of yoga called Iyengar yogo (sp???) worked to straighten you out and improve your flexibility. Well they don't lie...back pain gone, and my balance/flexibility has improved. The one thing I've learned is how your flexibility varies from side to side, for me lots depending on what I'm stretching. So in the end how can it not help my climbing, more flexibility, better balance and a better sense of where your body is.....5.14 here I come! :lol: .

elvislegs

Oct 26, 2004, 4:36 PM
Post #6 of 32 (4685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i experimented with yoga a bit. haven't done it for quite a while because the person who was teaching me is uh... no longer around. unfortunately. guess i was mainly a social yoga-er.

anyway, your flexiblity will improve no doubt, and i can also see how the emphasis on controlling your breathing would be a huge benifit to your climbing.

redtail

Oct 26, 2004, 4:42 PM
Post #7 of 32 (4685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with Wetrocks. Yoga will definitely help with your flexibility depending on how often and to what extent you already stretch. Flexibility isn't the "end-all" of yoga however, just a great added incentive. As for myself, I teach traditional Tae Kwon Do and since I started Yoga a couple of years ago, I've quit having lower back pains and my hips are way more flexible. I'm sure it all carries over into what I can and can't do wile climbing. Have fun!

aarong

Oct 26, 2004, 4:50 PM
Post #8 of 32 (4685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I practice Ashtanga yoga - and I've found that it has improved not only my flexibility, but also my breathing, my concentration, and my overall mood. I really enjoy it.

chalkdustpwr

Oct 27, 2004, 6:14 AM
Post #9 of 32 (4685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i take yoga because i always feel so relaxed afterwards. I'm sure it's done something good for my climbing. i just enjoy it. One thing to do when starting yoga, is trying different types. i know that there are 5 schools of yoga. and I've also experienced that even though there are 5 schools, there are going to be many teaching styles. so finding the right teacher and school combo is going to be lots of trial and error. but definietly worth it! good luck, and have fun. :)

jefffski

Oct 27, 2004, 6:25 AM
Post #10 of 32 (4685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i just started hatha yoga. my teacher helps us adjust the poses so we don't get hurt or strain too much. i really enjoy the small class size--5 people. i do enjoy it. i guess the benefits will take some time. one thing is fersure--it ain't easy.

stitchesonhead

Oct 27, 2004, 6:40 AM
Post #11 of 32 (4685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds appealling, but so many choices! What are the differences between Hatha yoga, Ashtanga yoga, and so on?? I want to choose one that will help me in my flexibility, core strength, concentration, mood, and the like. How do I know what kind of yoga to choose from??

healyje

Oct 27, 2004, 7:28 AM
Post #12 of 32 (4685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Astanga is more of an aerobic work out. Poses often change with each inhale/exhale. It is fast moving and focused on not only the poses, but also the transitions between poses and sequences of poses. It builds strength, flexibility, and stamina. I've done a combination of running, Astanga, and swimming and lost 30 pounds over the last three months. Works for me anyway...

Of all the yoga's I think this is probably the most appropriate for the average healthy climber. Except, that is, unless you plan on doing the Nose in July and then I'd recommend Bikram Yoga which is done in a studio heated to 100+ degrees.

on_sight_man

Oct 27, 2004, 7:36 AM
Post #13 of 32 (4685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Sounds appealling, but so many choices! What are the differences between Hatha yoga, Ashtanga yoga, and so on?? I want to choose one that will help me in my flexibility, core strength, concentration, mood, and the like. How do I know what kind of yoga to choose from??

You just got to try them. Hatha yoga is basically all the yogas talked about here. Hatha just means the movement.

Astanga is moving quickly, Beekram is in very hot rooms.

Iyengar is the best IMO. It's based on the teachings of BKS Iyengar. It focuses really deliberately and in a detailed way on how your body is positioned and balanced. It gets subtker and subtler as you get better at it and you get more and more control over smaller areas of your body while at the same time creating balance overall. It also concentrates on the healing aspects of hatha yoga especially on nagging recurring injuries climbers seem to get.

That being said, I don't do enough of it because yoga doesn't frighten me enough :)

needtolearnhowtoclimb

Oct 27, 2004, 3:35 PM
Post #14 of 32 (4685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i did a short youga class for the first time yesterday. it was awesome. made me sort of tired though, but i think it would deff. help climbng, as it helps everything else.

stuff-n-junk,
josh

nikegirl

Oct 27, 2004, 3:43 PM
Post #15 of 32 (4685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is the Yoga I've chosen works best for me.

http://www.bikrampdx.com/faqs.html

I used to do it at least twice a week,and directly right before I'd go climbing/laps for two hours after.
I was amazed at how it softened my muscles, and created a longer reach.

Our gym, offers different types yoga,than bikram as well as the other services of climbing clinics.
It's a great for personal mental energy.

just my two cents.

~T

quickclips

Oct 27, 2004, 3:49 PM
Post #16 of 32 (4685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well i'm glad to see all the positive responces I just started Monday

nirvana

Oct 27, 2004, 3:57 PM
Post #17 of 32 (4685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's a link to Yoga Journal--this article discusses the different schools of yoga.

http://www.yogajournal.com/newtoyoga/165_1.cfm

ciayfields

Oct 27, 2004, 3:59 PM
Post #18 of 32 (4685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The input in this thread has been great.

I find that the most unfortunate part about joining a yoga program is that it's very expensive. I've done a small amount of bikram yoga in the past, but memberships to these gyms are often times more than $1000.00 a year!

Have any of you found video programs that are safe and effective for studying yoga?

I understand that it's important to have the proper form, I was thinking perhaps by suplimenting a video with a class for a few weeks and then moving to the video alone. Suggestions?

dsafanda

Oct 27, 2004, 4:21 PM
Post #19 of 32 (4685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Although I've never tried Yoga I keep telling myself that I should give it a go. Here's an appropriate photo for this thread. My buddy Erik who teaches Yoga in Yosemite getting in a morning session beneath ElCap.
http://www.safanda.com/misc/yoga7.jpg

cdzz1

Oct 27, 2004, 5:23 PM
Post #20 of 32 (4685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been trying to squeeze in a yoga session at least once a week.
I've been at it for a little over a month.
I'm hoping the balance postures will help my climbing.
So far, I find that I've had less tendon injuries during climbing & other activities.
Hang in there!

wanderinfree

Oct 27, 2004, 5:32 PM
Post #21 of 32 (4685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was doing a lot of yoga before I moved out to Colorado. Course now that I've moved here, I'm simply climbing all the time. When I do manage to squeeze in a class every couple weeks, I'm overwhelmed by simply how much more balanced and de-stressed i feel. In addition to all the previous postings discussing the balance and flexibility returns from yoga, don't overlook the focused sense of self as well. That has as much a positive impact on my climbing as the rest. Being able to focus and breathe to eliminate stress when you are climbing--particularly getting sketched out--is critical.

kylekopid

Oct 29, 2004, 5:28 AM
Post #22 of 32 (4685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had to do yoga once and it just killed my lower back, I guess that is telling me something.

pheenixx

Oct 29, 2004, 5:48 AM
Post #23 of 32 (4685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I had to do yoga once and it just killed my lower back, I guess that is telling me something.

It's telling you that your pushing yourself too hard for your first time. Try also doing some abdominal x-ercises to help strengthen the lower back. Make sure you get into a basic class where the instructor walks around and helps you get you into alignment. Yoga should NEVER be painful.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I vote for Iyengar. Astanga is too jumpy and stresses the muscles. Bikram is working out in a hot smelly room w/no air flow -- heck I can go outside and sweat here (arizona) without paying anything.

I did yoga for several yrs before I started climbing. It was a natural progression. Climbing is *Vertical-Yoga* :D

Have Fun..!!

Partner xclimber

Oct 29, 2004, 12:55 PM
Post #24 of 32 (4685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I had to do yoga once

"had to"...?

In reply to:
and it just killed my lower back, I guess that is telling me something.

It's telling me you probably did it incorrectly. My results were the polar opposite. Let the injury heal; then get back into it... slowly, and gently.

x

leinosaur

Oct 29, 2004, 5:22 PM
Post #25 of 32 (4685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I find that the most unfortunate part about joining a yoga program is that it's very expensive.
. . .

Suggestions?

Keep looking/asking around - in Scotland a church down the road from our dorm offered a free yoga class once a week - and the instructor was great!

Find a class in a park, if you have the weather for it . . . no overhead!

Good luck. Even books can be helpful, but good instruction is best.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook