Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

shakylegs

Nov 24, 2004, 10:00 PM
Post #1 of 108 (8586 views)
Shortcut

Epi-pens and multi-pitches
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hopefully someone knowledgeable will be able to answer this:
Scenario: I’m midway up a multi-pitch and am at least two full-length rappels from the bottom, and a good 45-60 minute hike out. Being the safe boy that I am, I’ve got two epi-pens with me. I have the misfortune of reacting to whatever it is I’m allergic to, say a bee-sting or something I ate. Realizing what’s happening, I jab the first epi-pen into my thigh. That’s good for about 15 minutes.
We start heading down, and I feel the anaphylactic shock symptoms arising again. So I use up the second epi-pen, which is pretty much the limit of what you should take.
So, now, am I screwed, or will the double doses of adrenaline be enough for me to get me out of there?
For arguments' sake, I also have some Benadryl with me.

johnathon78

Nov 24, 2004, 10:08 PM
Post #2 of 108 (8586 views)
Shortcut

Re: Epi-pens and multi-pitches [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd say that if after 2 epi-pens you still suffer horrible side effecs from your ellergic reaction you should'nt be out there in the first place. The first one should've at least ceased the reaction to allow you to get down and out without the use for the second. If you suffer bad reactions from an object outside, maybe you should stick to the indoors walls.

alpnclmbr1

Nov 24, 2004, 10:14 PM
Post #3 of 108 (8586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The standard wfr beta is to shoot the epi pen, then take the benadryl. The benadryl takes effect in 15 to 20 minutes

I do know that you can get more then one shot out of some pens.

I do not know what the proper procedure is on multiple shots.

I do know that it seems to work like a magic bullet most of the time.

sandbag

Nov 24, 2004, 10:17 PM
Post #4 of 108 (8586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what the hell did you eat mid route that caused anaphylaxis?

t2 at best

winglady

Nov 24, 2004, 10:18 PM
Post #5 of 108 (8586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yipes --- don't you think this is more a question for your DOCTOR than for a forum where g*d-knows-who is trying to answer your question?

rockgrl

Nov 24, 2004, 10:21 PM
Post #6 of 108 (8586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm in the same situation...allergic to wasps, carry two epi pens. I'm typically no more than a 20 minute hike to the car, but I try to stash a cell phone somewhere nearby so an ambulance can be called to meet me at the bottom if needed. I don't think you can ever really know how long the first or the second shot will last you and it could be different every time, but then again, I'm not a doctor. This is just what I've heard.

shakylegs

Nov 24, 2004, 10:33 PM
Post #7 of 108 (8586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
t2 at best

There's this weird thing, called gorp, aka trail mix. You may have heard of it. It's often a mixture of nuts, which, hey, what do you know, can cause anaphylaxis. And t2 are my ski boots. Try a bit harder next time.

In reply to:
Yipes --- don't you think this is more a question for your DOCTOR than for a forum where g*d-knows-who is trying to answer your question?

Take a look at other threads in this forum; quite often there are doctors who respond, who are also climbers. Weird, ain't it?
And, just to help you with that icky thing called comprehension, take a look at the first line on the original post. Hell, I'll save you the scroll: "Hopefully someone knowledgeable will be able to answer this."

Thanks to the others for your responses.

sandbag

Nov 24, 2004, 10:42 PM
Post #8 of 108 (8586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
t2 at best

There's this weird thing, called gorp, aka trail mix. You may have heard of it. It's often a mixture of nuts, which, hey, what do you know, can cause anaphylaxis. And t2 are my ski boots. Try a bit harder next time.

In reply to:

Take a look at other threads in this forum; quite often there are doctors who respond, who are also climbers. Weird, ain't it?
And, just to help you with that icky thing called comprehension, take a look at the first line on the original post. Hell, I'll save you the scroll: "Hopefully someone knowledgeable will be able to answer this."

Thanks to the others for your responses.

OOOOOK mr asshat.
If youre stupid(not ignorant) enough to buy food that youre not sure of knowing you suffer from an anaphylaxis, then have at it. Im sure an EMT out there is just dying to get a chance to do an in the field tracheotomy, I know id like to give it a shot someday. Ive never met an adult that just eats food, GORP or otherwise and conceals their allergy or ignores the consequences for not knowing what they are eating. So if youre going to post a redundant thread, at least have a modicum of common sense onthe topic and then again...........

wheres JT512 wehn we need him.....close this thread.........

climbingnurse

Nov 24, 2004, 10:48 PM
Post #9 of 108 (8586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK, first, my standard disclaimer: I am not a nurse. I won't graduate from nursing school for another 5 months and 27 days. Besides that I offer no guarantees that anything I tell you is correct. I'll do my best though. Here goes:

Epinephrine given for anaphylaxis is usually dosed at 0.3 mg (more than likely what is in your epi-pin) every 10 to 15 minutes. According to my Nurse's Drug Guide the onset should be in 3 to 5 minutes and the peak action of the drug should be at 20 minutes.

If you treat anaphylaxis with epinephrine, it is standard practice to immediately follow the injection with 50 mg (usually two pills) of Benadryl (or a generic substitute) by mouth. That drug will take 15 to 30 minutes to onset and the peak will last from 1 to 4 hours.

So, that's why you carry two epi-pins. It is possible that the first dose of epi will wear off before the benadryl kicks in. If that happens, you give the second dose of epi. You shouldn't need more than those two doses assuming no more than one person goes into anaphylaxis and you are able to get benadryl into the person in anaphylaxis.

Now, some general advice:
-Don't try rappelling until you (or whoever is in anaphylaxis) is stable. That might mean waiting 30 minutes for the Benadryl to kick in.
-Try to arrange to sit down with a licensed medical professional to talk this out and discuss your strategy.
-If you are trying to decide whether to take the epi-pin or the Benadryl with you, I'd highly recommend the Benadryl
-I think its fairly safe to say that johnathan78 has no idea what he's talking about

Source:
Wilson, B.A., Shannon, M.T., Stang, C.L.. (2004). Nurse’s Drug Guide. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.

Partner jammer

Nov 24, 2004, 10:50 PM
Post #10 of 108 (8586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Folks, this could get ugly!

climbingnurse

Nov 24, 2004, 11:05 PM
Post #11 of 108 (8586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just wanted to clarify something about the difference between epinephrine and Benadryl and why they are both used the way they are to treat anaphylaxis...

Epinephrine doesn't stop the allergic reaction, it just counteracts some of the symptoms. When the epi effect wears off (in about 20 minutes or so), the person in anaphylaxis will immediately start having the symptoms again.

Benadryl actually stops the allergic reaction. It is a much more effective remedy except that you have to take it by mouth* which means at least 15 minutes to take effect. That's not so good if you are unable to breath or going into shock because you'll be long dead in 15 minutes.

*Benadryl is actually available in an injectable form. We give it to people who have bad reactions to anti-psychotic medications all the time. I've never been real clear on why we don't use it as such to treat anaphylaxis. Anybody know why this is?

reno

Nov 24, 2004, 11:07 PM
Post #12 of 108 (8586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[mod]
Watch the personal attacks, gang. Do it elsewhere, but not in this forum.
[/mod]

That having been said, Epi is one of those strange medications. It's made by the body, but the body typically releases only as much as it needs. Those of us in medicine, in all our self-aggrandizing ways, decided on a "One-size-fits-all" approach, and make Epi pens with a standard dose (actually, there are TWO different sizes... one with 0.3 mg Epi, and one with 0.5mg Epi.)

Now... As long as you meet the criteria below, you're *probably* safe taking two doses. Perhaps even three. But if I, as a paramedic, had a patient that needed more than 3 doses of Epi, I'd be thinking one of two things: This is the worst allergic reaction in the history of medicine, or this isn't an allergic reaction but something else that looks like an allergic reaction.

The criteria: No history of coronary artery disease; no history of hypertension; no history of congestive heart failure, cardiac hypertrophy, or other cardiomyopathy; under the age of 45; no recent stroke or brain surgery; no kidney failure.

If I were in such a situation, I'd have done the following:

~Dose the first Epi-pen.
~Then take a Benadryl (if you have the capsules, break it open and dump the powder under your tongue and let it dissolve. Works faster.)
~Start making fast tracks for the car and a hospital.
~Take the second Epi-pen when the symptoms got worse.
~Take a second Benadryl at the same time.
~Pray.

Moving fast will help the body create it's own natural adrenaline (Epi.) That might buy you some time. (A good friend of mine was caught unprepared at the bottom of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison when he got stung. He blasted up the wall in near record time, and was OK when he got to the top. I think that is due, in part, to his "Oh, shit... I gotta get up and out of here, fast" reflex. Fight/flight thing. His body probably produced a lot of adrenaline, and that staed off the allergic reaction.)

reno

Nov 24, 2004, 11:10 PM
Post #13 of 108 (8586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
*Benadryl is actually available in an injectable form. We give it to people who have bad reactions to anti-psychotic medications all the time. I've never been real clear on why we don't use it as such to treat anaphylaxis. Anybody know why this is?

We give IV or IM Benadryl for allergic reactions all the time in the EMS arena.

It kinda makes the doctors mad, cause now they have to watch for S/Sx of anti-cholinergic OD, but better that than a dead patient.

I'll carry parenteral Benadryl in my medi-bag when doing remote, backcountry, or alpine routes. Syringe, too.

But then, I've got a doctor who will approve my using it, so I'm safe, from a legal standpoint.

mtn_eagle

Nov 24, 2004, 11:51 PM
Post #14 of 108 (8586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Anaphylaxis is an immediate allergic reaction to a substance that you have previously been sensitized. No one's sure why some poeple are prone to this. IgE binds to the antigen and activated mast cells that release a variety of inflammatory mediators including histamine. The reason it kills you is usually due to a collapse in blood pressure as the blood vessels all dilate and you become relatively hypovolemic or due to swelling of the upper airways which causes asphyxia. Skin reactions, nausea/vomiting, headaches, fainting, wheezing and flushing are other common symptoms.

There are also anaphylatoid reactions that are not mediated by IgE and do not require desensitization. Inherited disorders like C 1 esterase deficiency can result in recurrent anaphylaxis and is very difficult to treat. Other rare conditions can include exercise induced anaphylaxis and cold induced anaphylaxis (bad for ice-climbers).

As the others have suggested, consider not being more than 15-20 minutes from where emergency medical personnel can reach you and always have a cell phone with you. I would suggest taking up sport cilmbing or bouldering.

If you still want to do long routes, you take your life in your own hands. I'd suggest seeing an allergist to make a plan. Don't screw around with this. You could die. Ask him or her about epi-pens, benadryl, ranitidine/cimetidine, glucagon, albuterol, atrovent and prednisone. Based on what you are allergic to they may also consider desensitization therapy. This has risks and takes several weeks to complete but can be very effective.

climbingnurse

Nov 25, 2004, 12:46 AM
Post #15 of 108 (8586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mtn_eagle, first you offer an overly technical explanation of anaphylaxis and then you make this statement:

In reply to:
As the others have suggested, consider not being more than 15-20 minutes from where emergency medical personnel can reach you and always have a cell phone with you. I would suggest taking up sport cilmbing or bouldering.

WTF? You don't even know if this guy (shaky_legs) is actually allergic to anything, let alone how bad his allergy is. Suddenly he needs to become a boulderer? What a horrible fate to so randomly and glibly assign to someone.

Allergies can be managed in a wilderness setting with the appropriate training and equipment. Why not encourage him to take a wilderness medicine class or something?

(fights urge to make nasty comments and ends post here)

kman

Nov 25, 2004, 12:59 AM
Post #16 of 108 (8586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

t2 at best

:roll: Here we go. You can also be alergic to stings, bites, plants...basically anything. Take a WFR course.

In reply to:

Just calm down there. It's a pretty standard first aid question.

Take the epi-pen then benadryl just like the climbing nurse said.

And the rest of you just need to chill out and go take some first aid courses or something.

flamer

Nov 25, 2004, 1:28 AM
Post #17 of 108 (8586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Moving fast will help the body create it's own natural adrenaline (Epi.) That might buy you some time. (A good friend of mine was caught unprepared at the bottom of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison when he got stung. He blasted up the wall in near record time, and was OK when he got to the top. I think that is due, in part, to his "Oh, s---... I gotta get up and out of here, fast" reflex. Fight/flight thing. His body probably produced a lot of adrenaline, and that staed off the allergic reaction.)

Guilty.
In the situation reno mentioned I think one of 2 things kept me from having an anaphylatic reaction.(I already knew I was allergic to bee's but have never had an anaphylatic reaction).
#1- I may not have been allergic to the type of bee that stung me- we think it was a European wasp(damn euro's!!)
OR
#2 As reno mention I high tailed it out of there....nearly running up the cruise gully, freesoloing everything I only stopped once to fix a rope on the more difficult of the 2 rappels, for my partner.
My adrealine was seriously pumping. I do remember at one point thinking my throat was starting to swell, but I blocked it out and pushed even harder up the gully. At the top the climbing ranger was in the ranger station and gave me a double dose of Benedryl as soon as I got there- Thanks Brent!!
I ended up being fine.
I always carry benedryl, but I don't always carry Epi...I'm not recommending this, but Epi pens expire every what 3? 6? months I don't see a doctor that regularly and so I have alot of expired Epi!!

My advice??? Don't get stung!!

josh

cbare

Nov 25, 2004, 1:47 AM
Post #18 of 108 (8586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think all of the posts really demonstrate one thing. Anaphylaxis is a very complex medical problem, ( actually syndrome may be a better way to describe) and it is good that we do not limit ourselves to one particular way of treating the problem. As for food or sting or what ever the cause, the odvious treatment is prevention, but no one wants to live in a plastic bubble so we must find some kind of compromise for dealing with our various problems.

Anaphylaxis is the most severe form of an allergic reaction. Anaphylaxis is the body's response to a material it thinks is antigenic (harmful/disease producing) While this respons is a good thing, people who develop anaphylaxis over produce an antibody called IgE. An antibody is an immune system product that helps the body identify antigens. Unfortunatly, the massive amounts of IgE attach to special cells called basophils ( special white cells circulating in the blood) and mast cells (special immune cells in tissue that sorrounds blood vessels). The IgE remains dormant until the next exposure to the antigenic material. Once the person is expose to the antigen, the antigen reacts to the IgE antibody. Unfortunatly this reaction occurs violently an all over the body. The reaction causes the basophils and mast cells to degrade and release massive amounts of chemical messangers that trigger the massive immune response. Yes histamine is on of these, however, several other chemicals like leukotrienes and eosinophil chemotactic factor of anaphylaxis among many others are also released. Histamine is talked about most often because it directly acts upon blood vessels causing them to leak large amounts of fluid.

So, with all of this you will die in essentially two ways. First, fluid leaking into the airway and swelling of the airway will cause death the fastest. Second, the rapid loss of fluids from the blood vessels causes a sudden loss of pressure in the vascular system. It is kind of like getting shot, you loose allot of fluid, only it does not gush from an open wound, it leakes out into the tissues of the body. Hence, some people will call this circulatory collapse or I simply like to call it "really bad shock."

Ok enough with the bio 101 lecture. At least everybody agrees on one thing. Epinephrine is the only medication that will immediatly treat the life threatening aspects of anaphylaxis. This is where we administer the epi pen. It has a typical adult dose of 0.3mg given in the vastus lateralus (thigh) muscle. And many epi pens come in a kit of two loaded syringes and a trainer. This is where people get bent aroud the axle. Give two epi pens, take benadryl, give steroid, etc, etc. There are too many algorhythms to count for treating anaphylaxis.

Primary treatment should be give the epi pen. Then, it gets rather subjective. Epinephrine dos not have a long half life so in people with refractory (resistant) anaphylaxis a repeat dose of epinephrine may be required. Benadryl to help inhibit the effects of histamine is good. I think reno wrote to open the capsule and give under the tongue. Brilliant, that's all I can say. (Faster absorption) Someone else wrote about injectable benadryl, if you have a doctor who will allow this, it is definatly the way to go.

Generally this is how treatment occurs in my emergency room.

Epinephrine to stabilize the good old ABC's. Typical dose 0.3-0.5mg subcutaneus injection

Benadryl 50mg muscular injection-this will help antagonize histamine and acts longer than epinephrine

Possibly an inhaled bronchodilator to assist with clearing the airway--something like albuterol oe xopenex

An injection of a long acting steroid to prevent a delayed reaction--Solumedrol 125 mg iv works nicely. Sometimes followed up with oral steroids (Medrol Dose Pack)

Sometimes in severe cases we have to give IV epinephrine 1-2cc of 1:10,000 concentration, not the 1:1,000 concentration found in epi pens.

Does this always work, nope. Sometimes we have to add a couple grams of magnesium sulfate to the IV to help relax and open up the muscles of the airway. And someone mentioned a medication for heart burn or GERD cimetidine. Is he totally crazy? not at all. Sometimes a medication like zantac given IV is quite helpful for it's antihistamine properties.

I guess the meaning of all of this is there are allot of ways to treat an individual in anaphylaxis. The best advice is to say what someone allready said, get with a specialist and find out what will work for you in a given scenario, epi pen+benadryl+steroid or even immuno-therapy.

Good luck, hope this is not too long and it helps. Chris Bare. sorry about the typos

boltdude

Nov 25, 2004, 2:08 AM
Post #19 of 108 (8586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As long as we're on the subject, I've been stung probably 50 times by honey bees and yellow jackets (once 8 times in the head and neck at the top of E Butt of Middle Cathedral), and until last year, never had any reactions.

Last year, I got stung about 6-8 times (within 10 seconds) by yellow jackets in Tenaya Canyon, and about 2-3 days after being stung, the small welts grew to around 2-3" diameter and itched like crazy. They eventually went away after around 2 weeks (I used 0.5-1% hydrocortisone anti-itch cream).

Anyway, any guesses as to my chances of developing more serious reactions? I've tried to carry Benadryl tablets around since then, but haven't been that serious about making sure I always have them quickly available.

reno

Nov 25, 2004, 3:43 AM
Post #20 of 108 (8586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Last year, I got stung about 6-8 times (within 10 seconds) by yellow jackets in Tenaya Canyon, and about 2-3 days after being stung, the small welts grew to around 2-3" diameter and itched like crazy. They eventually went away after around 2 weeks (I used 0.5-1% hydrocortisone anti-itch cream).

Anyway, any guesses as to my chances of developing more serious reactions? I've tried to carry Benadryl tablets around since then, but haven't been that serious about making sure I always have them quickly available.

Boltdude:

This is a touchy question for the medical professionals on this list to answer. With the standard disclaimer in mind, I'd say "There's no way to tell."

It's quite possible you could have a more profound reaction the next time you get stung. As a general rule, the reaction to any given substance (peanut oil, bee venom, etc.) gets worse the more often you get exposed. One bite is no big deal. The second bite is worse than the first. Third is worse than the second. And so on.

A second subset of folks, like myself, do not have reactions at all. I've gotten a double sting to the same place (two bees, two stings, left side of my face, in about 30 seconds,) and didn't even swell any. Some folks are just fortunate to not have reactions. (FYI, this same concept applies to mosquito bites, poison ivy, etc. Some people just don't have any reaction to those substances at all.)

The third, and final subset, are the folks that don't increase reactions with progressive stings. Sure, they might get a small welt, but that's it. Next sting... small welt. Third sting... small welt. You get the point.

I can't tell you which group you fall into. Neither can anyone else, except perhaps an immunologist.

Sorry.

mtn_eagle

Nov 25, 2004, 4:46 AM
Post #21 of 108 (8586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
mtn_eagle, first you offer an overly technical explanation of anaphylaxis and then you make this statement:

In reply to:

WTF? You don't even know if this guy (shaky_legs) is actually allergic to anything, let alone how bad his allergy is. Suddenly he needs to become a boulderer? What a horrible fate to so randomly and glibly assign to someone.

Allergies can be managed in a wilderness setting with the appropriate training and equipment. Why not encourage him to take a wilderness medicine class or something?

(fights urge to make nasty comments and ends post here)

Read the original post. He was asking about anaphylactic shock, not "allergies". If he was asking how to deal with itchy eyes and a runny nose when the pollen count is high, then disregard all I said and buy some benadryl. No one knows that they will have anaphylaxis until they have already had an episode, so I guess I was assuming that he had had an episode in the past and that was why he was carrying epi pens in the first place.

I wouldn't be so quick to underestimate the intelligence of other people on this site. I suppose some may have to look up the words "hypovolemic" and "mast cell" but the rest seems comprehendable to me.

Also, I think your inexperience shows in your own advice. You seem to imply that a couple shots of epi and some benadryl and everything will be OK for someone experiencing anaphylaxis. Anaphylactic shock is often much more severe requiring several liters of IV fluids and pressor infusions to keep the blood pressure up. And there's not much that tightens the sphinctor more than trying to squeak an entotracheal tube past a swollen airway while the ENT surgeons are hovering for the crash tracheostomy if I miss.

Anyways, why so hostile, dude?

reconbeef

Nov 28, 2004, 7:58 PM
Post #22 of 108 (8586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree, Shaky_Legs should never be more than 15-20 minutes from where emergency medical personnel can reach him and stick to sport cilmbing or bouldering. Even then, I think he should always boulder with at least 2 spotters and 3 crash pads. When sport climbing, never lead anything over 2 grades easier than what he can comfortably top-rope, and never climb on bolts that are over 5 years old.
More importantly, Shaky, I think it's about time you gave up red meat, always wear your seat belt, wash you hands every time you use the rest room, get 8 hours of sleep a night and drink 6 glasses of water a day.

Telling someone that their medical condition prohibits their ventruing into out doors does not only NOT answer the origional question (which was what do I do about potential anaphylaxis, not should I give up rock climbing) but is also not your counsil to give. This is a potentially dangerous sport, and we all make decisions and compromises on the safety vs. experience. If you want a 100% safe climbing experience, crack open a beer and watch Masters of Stone VXII. I've had partners with diabetes as well as a bee sting sensitivity, we both back and plan accordingly and go for it. The odds of my fat ass blowing a cam and decking are far higher than either of them having a medical problem.

I think this is one area where urban, hospital-based, medicine and wilderness medicine come into conflict. The rules are different in the backcountry, and you go in realizing it. You take a risk when you go out of the comfort zone of the first world Medical Industrial Complex, and you realize that. The question is, once you have made that decision, how do you best prepare? Here, I think most of the posters have given sound advice. And all of the major Wilderness Medical groups are in pretty close agreement on preparing for and treating anaphylaxis in the backcountry. Epi-benadryl-epi-benadryl-epi... evac. Most of the cases I've had, both front and back country, this has been remarkably effective. The only times it hasn't, the person has been a serious asthmatic, who was on home oxygen.

Again, on a philospohical note, you should realize that this might not work and you could die. If you're ok with that, climb on. If not, beer's in the fridge.

-James

sixleggedinsect

Nov 28, 2004, 8:36 PM
Post #23 of 108 (8586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hopefully someone knowledgeable will be able to answer this:
Scenario: I’m midway up a multi-pitch and am at least two full-length rappels from the bottom, and a good 45-60 minute hike out. Being the safe boy that I am, I’ve got two epi-pens with me. I have the misfortune of reacting to whatever it is I’m allergic to, say a bee-sting or something I ate. Realizing what’s happening, I jab the first epi-pen into my thigh. That’s good for about 15 minutes.
We start heading down, and I feel the anaphylactic shock symptoms arising again. So I use up the second epi-pen, which is pretty much the limit of what you should take.
So, now, am I screwed, or will the double doses of adrenaline be enough for me to get me out of there?
For arguments' sake, I also have some Benadryl with me.

well, you leave some information out.

first off, epi wont do jack in the longterm. all it does is save your life for a bit until the benadryl kicks in. you did not say, in your hypothetical situation, whether you took benadryl as soon as you felt the allergic reaction. if you could still talk normally, you shoudl have done this first, a double dose. if you whacked yourslef with the epi pen first, the next step is to take benadryl. only then should you start evacuating. if the benadryl doesnt kick in by the time the epi kicks out, then as you say, you should use the second dose. however, no more benadryl is advised. if the benadryl still hadnt kicked in by the time the epi's effects wore off, and you had another epi pen, that would be great. if you are experiencing life threatening allergic reactions, you can keep plugging epinephrine in. normal people stop at two or three in the rare circumstances in which repeat doses are needed only becuase they are limited to what they have with them. there are serious potential side effects to epinephrine, but they are far less serious than dying immediately from anaphylaxis.

carrying an epi pen without bendryl (or its generic equivalents) is irresponsible. period.

anthony

sixleggedinsect

Nov 28, 2004, 8:45 PM
Post #24 of 108 (8586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Now... As long as you meet the criteria below, you're *probably* safe taking two doses. Perhaps even three. But if I, as a paramedic, had a patient that needed more than 3 doses of Epi, I'd be thinking one of two things: This is the worst allergic reaction in the history of medicine, or this isn't an allergic reaction but something else that looks like an allergic reaction.

The criteria: No history of coronary artery disease; no history of hypertension; no history of congestive heart failure, cardiac hypertrophy, or other cardiomyopathy; under the age of 45; no recent stroke or brain surgery; no kidney failure.

i believe that it is inappropriate to even discuss the contraindictions of epinephrine in this context. reno, you work in EMS and have a different setup than a climber on a cliff somewhere who is absolutely under no way going to have access to plentiful IV drugs and airway ALS. while it is true that people with cardio risks are not your ideal epinephrine candidates, that DOES NOT MATTER because there is a good chance that the person suffering from a reaction this violent will die from it. there is only a slight chance we will precipitate a cardiac event.

In reply to:
Moving fast will help the body create it's own natural adrenaline (Epi.) That might buy you some time. (A good friend of mine was caught unprepared at the bottom of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison when he got stung. He blasted up the wall in near record time, and was OK when he got to the top. I think that is due, in part, to his "Oh, s---... I gotta get up and out of here, fast" reflex. Fight/flight thing. His body probably produced a lot of adrenaline, and that staed off the allergic reaction.)

i dunno man. i dont have any stats up my sleeve, but i am led to believe that the epi dose your body kicks out under dire circumstances is small beans compared to the hefty kick an epi pen will give.

reno

Nov 28, 2004, 10:10 PM
Post #25 of 108 (8586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

i believe that it is inappropriate to even discuss the contraindictions of epinephrine in this context. reno, you work in EMS and have a different setup than a climber on a cliff somewhere who is absolutely under no way going to have access to plentiful IV drugs and airway ALS. while it is true that people with cardio risks are not your ideal epinephrine candidates, that DOES NOT MATTER because there is a good chance that the person suffering from a reaction this violent will die from it. there is only a slight chance we will precipitate a cardiac event.

Define "small chance," please. The literature I've read is undecided on the situation, but by and large, "pre-existing cardiovascular disease" is a relative contra-indication to SC Epi. That doesn't mean you should never give it (SC Epi,) to a patient with a cardiac condition. It just means that you need to be really careful and understand the potential consequences, along with evaluating and weighing the entire situation (i.e. not every allergic reaction needs SC Epi.) I thought I made that clear. If not, then my apologies.

In reply to:
In reply to:

i dunno man. i dont have any stats up my sleeve, but i am led to believe that the epi dose your body kicks out under dire circumstances is small beans compared to the hefty kick an epi pen will give.

I do have the stats... During times of stress, the body can produce up to 4.0 (+/- 1.1) pmol/dL/min of endogenous adrenaline. Or, as a ballpark figure, 0.1 milligrams/min.

Epi pens are 0.3 mg, and can be given every 5 minutes. Pretty close, if you ask me.

Small wonder the fight or flight response works so well.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook