Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

climber_kid

Dec 1, 2004, 2:33 AM
Post #1 of 44 (4835 views)
Shortcut

parents
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

my parents are nice people but sometimes I think their holding me back on climbing they try to convice me to not to buy climbing gear they think it will be a wast of money. Whats your oppinion?But still their great parents and am glad I have them.

gymstud001

Dec 1, 2004, 2:38 AM
Post #2 of 44 (4835 views)
Shortcut

Re: parents [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you just described my parents too...they think climbing is a waste of money and dangerous, but all the same i'm glad they're there

pepsbandit

Dec 1, 2004, 2:52 AM
Post #3 of 44 (4835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My parents will let me and help me buy all the shit, they just have trouble letting me go out and use it. Owell, I got a mountaineering course coming up in May, and they've agreed to sign the papers! Just keep telling yourself, they mean well, plus you'll be out on your own soon enough. For me, it's just two more years! two more years... two more years... two more years... two more years... :x :x

curt

Dec 1, 2004, 2:59 AM
Post #4 of 44 (4835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
my parents are nice people but sometimes I think their holding me back on climbing they try to convice me to not to buy climbing gear they think it will be a wast of money. Whats your oppinion?But still their great parents and am glad I have them.

Get used to it. I'm 48 years old and my mother is 80, and she still thinks I am nuts for climbing. :lol:

Curt

rice701

Dec 1, 2004, 3:01 AM
Post #5 of 44 (4835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbing is actually a fairly cheap hobby, depending on what type of climbing you do. Sport route and bouldering are what i do and ive spent only a couple of hundred on gear so far and i have been climbing for a year. id say the most expensive aspect is the gas money. Just buy the minimum gear needed to be safe and do what you wanna do and then enjoy it. You dont need everything to go climbing, just hte basics. I just have a rope, shoes, quickdraws, belay device, crashpad, and harness. Also, climbing is something you do with someone, if you have someone you always go climbign with, split the costs with them. Thats also what i did to save money. Ive been through hobbies where ive spent TONS of money on stuff and then by the time i was done spending i lost interest. I think they might be protecting you from that, my parents tried many times. Just remember you dont need to spend money to have fun climbing. But most of all, buy the gear needed to stay safe first.

Peace
Andrew

mb_brick

Dec 1, 2004, 3:29 AM
Post #6 of 44 (4835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my folks used to hassle me for playing to many videogames, now I design them. Do what you love. Your parents may never come around but you will be happier.

Now that mine have accepted the gaming, I start climbing. You know, so they have something to hassle me about. Have to keep them busy, don'cha know.

zakr

Dec 1, 2004, 3:47 AM
Post #7 of 44 (4835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bring to light the fact that you could be laying in front of the tube all day playing halo...and I mean no offense to you mb_brick. there are many things that you could be doing if you were not climbing.

-Zak

harrisha

Dec 1, 2004, 4:51 AM
Post #8 of 44 (4835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My parents will let me and help me buy all the s---, they just have trouble letting me go out and use it.

I know how you feel. Same issue, luckly I get to take a trad course over the summer and then its off to college. Hell if I get enough scholarship money I can blow all my spare cash on climbing and booze.

Partner crgwhe

Dec 1, 2004, 4:57 AM
Post #9 of 44 (4835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am 37 and have two boys; 12 and 13 yo. Although my 13 yo loves to climb, he would rather sit infront of the Play Station. We climbed last Sunday for about four hours and he had a blast. Of course, he and his brother are grounded from their video games untill next year so it was eather climb or stay with grandma.
I wouldn't mind at all if my children spent their money on climbing gear. Because I am a climber myself, I see this as a vigorous sport we can enjoy as a family. Something that gets them off their butts, takes them into nature, and is physically (and mentally) demanding and healthy. I see so many of my sons 13 yo's class mates that are over weight, pale, and sickley because they take advantage of the electronic entertainment age we live in. Although my son may break a bone during a fall, his health is better than many his age and he seems to be an overall happier person. I contribute this to climbing, mountainbiking, and just getting out side in general.
I take it your parents don't climb which makes it difficult for them to understand. They can't see it from your perspective. They arn't you

too_far_gone

Dec 1, 2004, 5:00 AM
Post #10 of 44 (4835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know the feeling. When I bought my first pair of shoes, my mom told me not to because climbing was just a phase I was going through. Man was she wrong! My parents accept climbing now, although I think they are little nervous when I go. When I take leave I usually spend more time climbing than I do with my family. Don't worry man, they will get used to it.

Partner coylec

Dec 1, 2004, 5:06 AM
Post #11 of 44 (4835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My parents are not climbers. They are not even outdoors people -- hiking an easy trail is about as far as they usually go. Prior to their "education," they believed that climbing was recklessly dangerous and insanity.

Part of your parent's anxiety and concern comes from fears about your safety. Through limiting your purchases, they believe they are limiting your immersion and practice in what they view as a foolhardy activity. For this reason, it is necessary to do two things.

(1) You must become extremely compentent. You must understand what you are doing, why you are doing it and why you should do it that way. Your level of knowledge has to be enough to be proficient to answer questions about it and to be able to demonstrate and explain it to others.

(2) You must demonstrate and explain your compentency to your parents. If you can convince them that while climbing is inherently dangerous, you are taking all necessary steps to minimize that danger. It's easier to do this with expert instruction. In fact, you can use "Safety" arguments to get your parents to pay for expert instruction. And, quite frankly, expert instruction is usually worth it, esp. if you are just beginning. Money well spent -- it will also allow you to test gear before you buy it, so you can spend your money on things you need, not things you think you need.

My parents still worry about me climbing, but they understand that I know my own limits and stay within them.

coylec

petsfed

Dec 1, 2004, 5:17 AM
Post #12 of 44 (4835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Dude, you're 13. You can't even hold down a job legally yet. Bills, rent, significant others, college will all hold you back far worse than what your parents are doing now. Get the fundamentals dialed before you need anything more than shoes and chalk. Then you can start worrying about whether or not you really need that new cam or another 5 quickdraws.

Partner philbox

Dec 1, 2004, 5:27 AM
Post #13 of 44 (4835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I`m a parent and I now have grown up kids that think I should be staying home with the little woman. I think they are holding me back, I wanna go out on a 12 month dirtbagging road trip. Do you think they are reasonable. :cry:

nonick

Dec 1, 2004, 5:46 AM
Post #14 of 44 (4835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm 34 and my parents still worry when I'm climbing. Of course they never say anything but its understood. Its only natural because non climbers associate climbing with danger.

I do get the "this is a passing phase" comments from my parents as well as from friends who were climbing but have given up now. Its upto you to demonstrate that your serious. Don't invest in loads of gear just for the sake of it. Start with the minimum, that way even if its a passing phase you haven't lost much. Your parents will be happy if you show some maturity with their money.

climber15

Dec 1, 2004, 8:33 AM
Post #15 of 44 (4835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fortunatly I was introduced to climbing via my mom and dad, and took my first steps in our local climbing gym. I found that throughout my life if I wanted to get to do things, I introduced it to my parents and they would accept it and once they saw I could be responsible doing it, they were keen to let me go out with friends and go climbing. But they still wont let me drive with anybody they havnt met and talked to, or go to parent free partys, but they mean the best for me so ill go with it.

Partner coldclimb

Dec 1, 2004, 10:04 AM
Post #16 of 44 (4835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In my own situation, my mom realizes that she knows nothing at all about climbing, and that I know quite a bit, and she also trusts my judgement, so it's all up to me to keep myself alive. She still worries though. ;)

far_east_climber

Dec 1, 2004, 11:31 AM
Post #17 of 44 (4835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it is a natural thing for a non-climbing parent to worry about their offspring climbing (no matter how old). However, as mentioned by a number of people in this post, people only worry about their Climber's because they have a mis-conception of the activity. My parents know I am a competent in what I do, but what I find is that my parents (mom in particular) do not support me when I choose to climb alone. Understandable. Safety is found in numbers... but that's a seperate argument. Nevertheless, we will never see completely eye to eye on climbing and I don't expect them to.

On to your gear buying and parents... you are making a worthy investment in buying your gear and you are involved in a healthy and productive activity. As long as you take the time to help them understand what you are doing and why you are doing it, they should come through. If you haven't already, tell them what some of your climbing goals are, show them a climbing magazine or talk to them about the use of your gear. Anything.

Partner tradman

Dec 1, 2004, 11:42 AM
Post #18 of 44 (4835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't talk to my folks about my climbing any more, it just causes arguments.

reno

Dec 1, 2004, 12:09 PM
Post #19 of 44 (4835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

My opinion is that your parents have the right to spend their money as they see fit. When you live on your own -- pay your own bills, and no longer rely on your parents for daily living expenses -- you can buy as much gear as you wish.

In the mean time, I'd suggest you study English Composition and Grammar.

boulder_fiend

Dec 1, 2004, 1:51 PM
Post #20 of 44 (4835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My parents and friends (non-climding) can't understand why I climb and it kind of scares them to watch me. But if you like do it. :D

Partner j_ung

Dec 1, 2004, 2:17 PM
Post #21 of 44 (4835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When with your parents, always talk about climbing gear as if it's absolutely necessary to ensure your safety. Describe what happens to people who climb without it in excruciating and gruesome detail. Then, mention off-handedly that you'll, "probably be OK without it, anyway".

Now sit back and watch the toys come rolling in.

:P :P :P

kimmyt

Dec 1, 2004, 3:34 PM
Post #22 of 44 (4835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice one, J, but last time I tried the whole 'I'd be so much safer if I had X, Y, and Z from so-and-so gear catalogue, pg. 22 section A', my mom just looked at me and said, 'well if you don't have the necessary equipment maybe you shouldn't be doing it'.

i love my mom cause she worries about me without interfering in my life. she understands that you gotta do what you gotta do.

k.

brolloks

Dec 1, 2004, 3:51 PM
Post #23 of 44 (4835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You have been given some very good advice by previous posters, so I don't want to keep on being the whining parent.... But you have to get a few things clear.

Firstly, your parents aren't trying to hold you back - they are worried about your safety... because they love you. If you talk to them while understanding this, it could be possible to convince them that climbing is a good pursuit.

The money - so if you were to dig into your cupboard right now, how many games/toys/entertainment will we find that you absolutely "had to have", and are now just decorations? I'm not trying to bash you, just speaking from my own memories (which is not all that long ago). Just stick things out and show real interest in climbing, and in the end they will probably let you continue, and even help buying gear. (Ever heard about helping around the house in exchange for gear...?)

When I started surfing, I had a REAL hard time convincing my dad that it's OK. You see, his grandfather disappeared while fishing (freak wave), and the body was never found. So I understand where he was coming from - but patience and persistence payed off, letting me surf to my heart's delight in the end.

Your attitude and way you handle this will determine how this issue works out - be understanding and mature, and your parents will return the favour by doing the same.

Good luck. Be positive.

(Now I'm off to check the internet for harnesses for my 18 month old girl... yeah I know, but just starting to work out the budget....)

caughtinside

Dec 1, 2004, 5:05 PM
Post #24 of 44 (4835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

My opinion is that your parents have the right to spend their money as they see fit. When you live on your own -- pay your own bills, and no longer rely on your parents for daily living expenses -- you can buy as much gear as you wish.

In the mean time, I'd suggest you study English Composition and Grammar.

Reno, u r going to b the kewlest dad EVAR! :P :P :lol:

sknowlton

Dec 1, 2004, 5:11 PM
Post #25 of 44 (4835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm 47 and my dad thought I was nuts to climb---at least until he saw his 8 year old grandson send a 5.8 at the gym!!!

Now he's hooked. (He still thinks I'm nuts...just not AS nuts as he once did!)

Love your folks...and just climb!

Steve

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook