RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

euthanasia

Dec 9, 2004, 1:26 AM
Post #1 of 22 (4264 views)
Shortcut

Low blood flow to hands?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Whenever I'm sitting around in school or something, I've noticed that my hands get alot colder than the peoples' around me. I'm really lean and have low body fat. Could this be the reaon? Or could there possibly be a problem with me having low bloodflow to my hands and forearms? It seems like if this was the case it would really hinder endurance when climbing. Anyone know anything about this? Thanks!

dawnawanna

Dec 9, 2004, 1:32 AM
Post #2 of 22 (4264 views)
Shortcut

Re: Low blood flow to hands? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's the same deal for me. Both my hands and feet stay pretty cold (even in the summer). I also have pretty low blood pressure, so maybe that's the problem. I've never really worried about it.

boulder_monkey

Dec 9, 2004, 1:33 AM
Post #3 of 22 (4264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wow, wierd.....thats like exactly the same thing with me. mostly the ends of my fingers, just get cold all the time for no apparant reason. its really wierd, doesnt seem to happen to any of my friends or anything either. im also lean and have very little body fat. coincidence?

bluetrout

Dec 9, 2004, 1:41 AM
Post #4 of 22 (4264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Same thing happens to me. I am slim with low body fat, also I have blood pressure on the low side so I know both those things contribute. But it is not unusual for women to have poorer circulation in our hands and feet. Why we have that problem I'm not sure of , but it is fairley common.
As far as hindering endurance when climbing I have not found that to be the case for me. Once you start moving around you should get warmed up pretty quickly. Your heart rate goes up so increased circulation!
I don't think it is anything to be concerned about.

windsrfr89

Dec 9, 2004, 6:00 AM
Post #5 of 22 (4264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey i have this problem too!!! im not sure about blood pressure and i wouldnt really call myself lean, but definitely not even chunky. i think this is just a weird personal thing but i can crack my elbows like u crack knuckles and that sumtimes seems to get the blood flowing a lil better :D

sspssp

Dec 9, 2004, 10:40 PM
Post #6 of 22 (4264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can have cold hands and feet due to poor circulation without having low blood pressure (or being lean).

I have very poor circulation in my hands and feet. I haven't noticed that it hurt my performance in normal weather (although maybe it does and I'm not aware of it). However, I don't climb in cold weather (my fingers get injured too easily), I don't ice climb (too painful and worried about frostbite) and my hands get sweaty in warm weather (lots of chalk).

nrgclimber

Dec 9, 2004, 10:49 PM
Post #7 of 22 (4264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try stretching more and taking a garlic supplement + Omega -3 fish oil pills. It will help you with your circulation, and If the weathers cold and your worried about cold hands and feet, drink a nice glass of wine before you go out and crank, you'll be surprised how much it will get the blood flowing so you don't have to start the route with cold hands and feet. Peace.

nrgclimber

Dec 9, 2004, 10:50 PM
Post #8 of 22 (4264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try stretching more and taking a garlic supplement + Omega -3 fish oil pills. It will help you with your circulation, and If the weathers cold and your worried about cold hands and feet, drink a nice glass of wine before you go out and crank, you'll be surprised how much it will get the blood flowing so you don't have to start the route with cold hands and feet. Peace.

Partner jammer

Dec 9, 2004, 10:50 PM
Post #9 of 22 (4264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do any of you smoke?

clymber

Dec 9, 2004, 10:54 PM
Post #10 of 22 (4264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

for the feet getting cold and can be from excess sweat...thats what happens to me just need to change socks often...helps alot i used to work outside would rotate between 2 pair all day DRY FEET =WARM FEET
as for the hands dont really know

I have reinauds (sp) poor circulation to hands and feet...nothing you can really do about it i did find that if you move them alot it helps also try to keep you core warm and that helps alot also....

i went to the Dr and he gave me some sort of liquid med. to put on my feet to stop the sweating helps alot...you just look like a huge dork at night..have to put it on the wrap feet in a plastic bag then a pair of socks over top...guess you needto do all that for it to soak into your skin

stevsop

Dec 9, 2004, 11:05 PM
Post #11 of 22 (4264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK Listen up! I'm a cold hand expert.

I too have this problem. I suspect it is a combination of having 3% body fat and rhumatiod arthritis (which I have heard leads to poor hand circulation). You might want to get checked for RA the next time you're at the Doc's as this would be an early symptom. Not to scare you or anything. I am not female but women are more likely to experience this as their physiology is especially concerned with keeping their core (and therefore unborn child) warm.
A few preventative steps:
1. Following a friend's advice, I drank water while skiing (on the chairlift, actually). One can become dehydrated even during winter activities, leading to thicker blood and poor circulation. I have experienced a significant difference. Keep a little poland spring bottle or a platypus bottle inside your coat to prevent freezing. Do not underestimate the power of a little water.

2. If your core is becoming cold, your body will divert bloodflow from your extremities to warm it. The warmest gloves will not help you in this situation, so make sure the rest of you (ESP. YOUR HEAD) is bundled up appropriately.

3. Throw a handwarmer in your chalkbag while climbing in cool temps. Warm chalk is sweeeeet.

4. If your hands get cold, slap one on the bak of your neck. It will warm up in a jiff.

5. While on a date, sit on your hands or warm in another manner before putting the moves on your date. Don't overdo this, as sweaty hands are just as bad.

Consider yourselves schooled.

stevsop

Dec 9, 2004, 11:06 PM
Post #12 of 22 (4264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oops! double posted.

slobmonster

Dec 9, 2004, 11:09 PM
Post #13 of 22 (4264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's called Raynaud's Disease (or Syndrome). I have it too.

You can try to retrain your circulatory system by, for example, standing around outside in the cold, with your shirt off, with your hands in WARM water. This might have limited success.

Get a LS Shirt with little thumb loops, using these will keep your radial artery covered and, hopefully, warmer.

clymber

Dec 9, 2004, 11:12 PM
Post #14 of 22 (4264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

slobmonster thanks for the correct spelling on it...damn shame when you have something and dont knwo how to spell it

mtman

Dec 9, 2004, 11:37 PM
Post #15 of 22 (4264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have this problem too...

just kidding

you might try drinking more water and keep your core temp up, dose this happen when you are just exercising or all the time?

dynoclimber

Dec 9, 2004, 11:48 PM
Post #16 of 22 (4264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ME TOO!! I have 4.5% body fat (I think) and my hands and feet are ALWAYS cold, ask my girlfriend. Usually it doesnt really bother me because I zone it out but when I am skiing it sometimes get unbearable and I have to take a break or something. I know for a fact that I have low blood pressure and my mom also has Raynauds Syndrome so maybe it is genetic. ? Here are some facts on Raynauds:
What is Raynaud's phenomenon?

Raynaud's phenomenon is a condition in which blood flow to the surface tissue of the hands and feet is temporarily decreased, usually as an overresponse to cold temperatures. There are two kinds of Raynaud's phenomenon. Primary Raynaud's, also known as Raynaud's disease, occurs by itself and is the most common form. Secondary Raynaud's, also called Raynaud's syndrome, occurs as part of another disease and usually begins after age 35.

Raynaud's phenomenon is common but often goes unreported. For most people with the condition, Raynaud's is more a nuisance than a disability.

To prevent or relieve symptoms of Raynaud's phenomenon that affect your hands or feet:

Wear mittens or gloves any time it is cool outside. Mittens are warmer than gloves because they keep your fingers together. Gloves underneath mittens will keep your hands warmer than gloves alone.
Wear mittens or gloves or use pot holders or oven mitts when getting something from the freezer or refrigerator.
Drink hot liquids. This helps maintain your internal body temperature.
When drinking from a cold container such as a can or bottle, use an insulated cover.
Warm your hands by running warm water over them or rubbing them together. This often will increase blood flow to your hands, relieving an attack of Raynaud's phenomenon. Be careful not to burn your hands under water that is too hot.
Wear wool, synthetic, or cotton-blend socks rather than pure cotton socks. They keep your feet drier and warmer by pulling moisture away from your skin.
Use foot powder to help absorb moisture from your feet. When your feet are damp, they are more easily chilled.
Swing your arms rapidly in a circle at the side of your body ("windmilling"), which can temporarily increase blood flow into your fingers.

gunkjunkie

Dec 10, 2004, 12:04 AM
Post #17 of 22 (4264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have primary reynauds. Essentially what happens is that the blood vessels carrying blood to the hands and feet as well as possibly the ears and nose constrict in response to stimulus such as cold. (I have also found, based upon personal experience, that it can occur as a response to certain food additives such as MSG.) This can be the result of repeated trauma to hands and feet (Folks who use jack hammers etc. have a higher incidence) or can occur without trauma. You may want to talk to your doctor about your symptoms as reynauds can occur secondary to a couple of diseases. Here's a link to more info: http://www.niams.nih.gov/.../raynaud/ar125fs.htm

Care includes keeping extremities warm - I use hand warmers when climbing in the cold - the best are the ones that come with a wrist band that has a pocket for the warmer. Make sure that you have good footwear/socks. I have also used accupuncture with some success during the summer air conditioning season (extreme temperature changes such as leaving an air conditioned building for 90+ heat can trigger an attack).

Deirdrehttp://

Partner climbinginchico

Dec 10, 2004, 12:05 AM
Post #18 of 22 (4264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dynoclimber beat me to it. I have Raynaud's as well. It is genetic, as I got it from my mom who got it from her mom. I also have low bodyfat, just tested at 2.4%, and low BP and a low resting pulse (38). This is a bad combination with Raynauds. My hands turn purple and numb within minutes of them being exposed to sub 50 deg. temps.

I have to be careful when running because I lose sensation in my feet when it's cold out. This can be bad, especially when sprinting.

I wear more warm clothes than I think is necessary, normally tights and windpants for running, and I have found that cycling socks keep my feet warmer by keeping sweat and water away from them. I also have multiple pairs of gloves, all wind/waterproof because wind and/or water makes my Raynauds come on faster and more severely.

climbsomething

Dec 10, 2004, 12:08 AM
Post #19 of 22 (4264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have low BP, little body fat (no number to spray, never had it recorded, but I'm lean), am a chick, don't smoke, and have cold hands, but it's not a hindrance, numbing or painful. I have more endurance than most climbers I've met and it's not difficult for me to get warmed up. I don't see a problem. I just have cold hands- I like sticking them on the backs of people's necks!

dirty_she

Dec 21, 2004, 10:36 PM
Post #20 of 22 (4264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I also have Raynaud's...what a pain in the butt when trying to climb in cooler temps...I can't even type at work sometimes when the AC is blasting. My right index finger is always blue and I've actually lost the nail twice.
I couldn't climb in Owen's River Gorge after Thanksgiving because every time I took my hands out of my gloves they turned white and were quite painful. Can't climb when you can't feel the rock.
Here's a cool site for those of you with Raynaud's. It gives some tips on how to stay warm: http://www.raynauds.org/

tradkelly

Dec 21, 2004, 11:43 PM
Post #21 of 22 (4264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Consider adding Ginkgo Biloba to your vitamin collection in the morning. My hands are blue just sitting here typing this, so before last year's ice festival I started with the ginkgo; it's purported to increase circulation both to the extremities and brain (enhances mental alertness, they claim). It's not a scientific statement, but I will say that I have had a noticeable improvement in my ability to withstand complete loss of capillary reflex versus not being on it (all subjective testing, of course, with no control group). I recommend doing your own research including asking your pharmacist and physician before getting started on anything on your own, of course.

I have (well, had, the stress situation living in wacko right wing christian nutcase land is over, thankfully) high BP and have been on various meds including nifedipine, lisinopril, and atenolol (covering the 3 basic hypertensive drug families, I believe) in different mixtures for 12 years now. Nothing else has helped remotely, except sitting in the hot tub to warm up the core and hands! Feet have always been fine, strangely enough.

Good luck. Keep staying warm and dry - like when ice climbing, too much mitten (it's never gloves for me, always mittens, for everything) is bad. Just a light fleece windblock mitten and then a Lowe waterproof overshell works great for me, so long as I have a big fluffy pair of belay mitts in my coat in between pitches.

hazael

Dec 22, 2004, 12:08 AM
Post #22 of 22 (4264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I suffer from the same problem, but my doctors think its ok.

I got sick about 2 months ago ( rare thing, I almost never get sick, I have a good I-system and usually got a sickness once and never again. ) That may sound cool, but it is not, if I get sick, I always get rare illnesses that are difficult to detect and treat .

Because of that, last time I went to the doctors they tested everything they could and my blood pressure was 110/65, they started to worry, but then they found out that I climbed a lot.
They say that people that practice sports that require that amount of body tension usually develop low blood pressure when they are "idle", and since our forearms muscles are wide, we should feel our hands cold.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook