Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16 Next page Last page  View All

Partner fire_eyes

Feb 8, 2005, 9:28 PM
Post #26 of 397 (26875 views)
Shortcut

Re: JTree Gathering In April 15th-17th 2005 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

f_od, there are also first come, first serve sites available at Ryan, Sheeps Pass, Jumbo Rocks, Belle and White Tank. All are inside the main area of the park, and are listed east to west (White Tank being furthest from Hidden Valley.) I am optimistic that some of us will indeed, be able to get individual sites in one or more of these areas...as I said earlier, I too am going to attempt to get a site at HV or Ryan by arriving the morning of the 14th. We'll see...you might want to have a back-up plan too though, just in case!

Partner baja_java

Feb 9, 2005, 1:31 AM
Post #27 of 397 (26875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

there're bivvy spots just outside the park, viable backups closer than Black Rock. the BLM lakebed has plenty of space to "gather," but not all that scenic, well, unless you all are into the wide open expanse of pure nothingness, and drunken quad wheelers racing across the lakebed into the midnight hours

with Sheep Pass and Indian Cove group sites full, looks like some will probably camp at motels, some scattered at HV, Ryan, or Jumbo, and some more at those free spots outside the park. both APR weekends are non-holiday, so people can probably snag a site inside the park, at Jumbo at least. just that it won't feel like a gathering with people scattered all over. have never been to a gathering. pardon a noob gathering question, but you have to physically GATHER like at adjacent group sites to qualify as a gathering, right? :lol:

sean

scallywag

Feb 9, 2005, 8:19 AM
Post #28 of 397 (26875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well i guess you should probably change me to a tentative happie. my plans are a changing and who knows where the wind will be blowing me!

maculated

Feb 9, 2005, 8:42 AM
Post #29 of 397 (26875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I am still a tentative "yes" along with duskerhu, we also may have a small group of Minnesotans from our local site but we've been kinda waiting for things to solidify here.

Woot! Minnesotans!! I may have to come to collect some more!

fo_d

Feb 9, 2005, 1:39 PM
Post #30 of 397 (26875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Woot! Minnesotans!! I may have to come to collect some more!

:) you collect Minnesotans?

Hey when are you leaving that god forsaken state your in and moving to "Gods country"?

Les

oldskool

Feb 10, 2005, 5:36 PM
Post #31 of 397 (26875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i will go as long as jt5000 and curt are banned from 100 miles of jtree while i am there!

Partner fire_eyes

Feb 10, 2005, 6:01 PM
Post #32 of 397 (26875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i will go as long as jt512 and curt are banned from 100 miles of jtree while i am there!

Ha! Yeah sure, are you staying at Steve's house? If not, you can camp with me. I'll save ya some space.

:D

Partner csgambill

Feb 10, 2005, 6:08 PM
Post #33 of 397 (26875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alright, this is kind of a bummer for me. I would love to head down there, but April 15 is the last day of tax season (tax accountant) and hence, I have to be at work right up until the very end. I'll definitely need some time away from work then, and since I'm the center of the universe I think everyone should push their plans back a week to accomodate my schedule. 8^) Oh well. Just means it'll be less crowded when I do get down there. Have a good time everyone!

curt

Feb 10, 2005, 6:12 PM
Post #34 of 397 (26875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i will go as long as jt5000 and curt are banned from 100 miles of jtree while i am there!

WTF? I thought you would like to lead me up some more 5.10 slabs?

Curt

Partner happiegrrrl

Feb 10, 2005, 10:55 PM
Post #35 of 397 (26875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Someone had made a post the other day asking if we would actually be gathering at this gathering, but now I can't find it. Maybe I am just tired...if anyone else sees it, I don't know wtf is wrong with me....

Anyway, I did want to say something on that topic, because there will be a lot of planning to do; otherwise the weekend will just be a lot of rc'ers at Jtree that weekend, but not partying with each other(sort of like every other weekend, I would guess....).

So - we need to have ideas as to what people are interested in have happen.....

I don't have much experience with these type of events at all; only went to one so far, so I don't know what is the usual stuff.

At the Gunks Gathering, the majority of people arrived on Friday night and stayed in a couple of centralized places. One was the New Paltz hostel, which the event organizer had reserved the whole house in adavance for the event. Other people camped at the MUA(free camping area) and probably some people had other set ups.

It was just a casual, unorganized hanging out that first night, at the hostel.

Sarurday morning people headed off in all diferent directions to climb. That day, someone who had volunteered their time, took one group out to climb toprope. He set all the anchors, and did an initail check to see that everyone knew what they were doing. I'm sure if there were people who needed to be watched a little more closely, he'd have done that.

Others headed out in groups or pairs to climb on their own.

Saturday evening, there was a community dinner of pasta, salad, breads and dessert at the hostel. Then there was a slideshow at the local gear shop, and some of us went to that.

Sunday morning was a community breakfast, and then people headed out on their own to climb.

That event was organized pretty much by one person, and she really did a great job. On top of all the above mentioned stuff, she made sure nobody was left without people to climb with.

I think the things to think about for our event might be similar:
- Community meals, if any
- Hanging out and partying together on the Friday/Saturday evenings
- Figuring out a way to hook up climbing partners for those who won't have already gotten them.

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions they'd like to add to this?

Since fire_eyes has the only confirmed campsites so far, I would like to suggest that we tentatively consider those group sites the common area, at least until things start to settle into shape. I know Black Rock is not Hidden Valley Campground, and is not centrally located, but I think it is important that we do have some sort of spot where people sort of know that others will be there if they stop by.

I don't know if there are any climbing related activities held at Nomad's, but it might be fun to go to, if there was a slideshow being held on one of the nites. Another idea for entertainment is that those who play instruments and want to bring them along, could perform. Maybe you guys think that is weird; I don't know. In my group of friends(not climbers) we do this alot, because we have a lot of really talented musicans.

And also, for partners - If there are a number of people who toproping is best for, maybe we should see if we can get a few people to volunteer to manage it for one of the days. I know it is a huge amount of work, plus responsibility, but if there are people coming who haven't climbed much.....

I am willing to volunteer to assist in that. I can't do the anchor building(though I'm happy to set some up under the supervison and instruction of someone who is known to be competant), but I can run around for the people who do the anchors and handle whatever they need done; carrying gear, flaking ropes and crap like that.

I can also do belay duty at times, which would be a good thing, if there are people who well...you know. (I can provide references that I make a fair belay b*tch).

But, only for one of the days. On the other one....I need someone who wants to have me follow them up some not too hard climbs(5.8 tops). Will anybody want to climb with me....?

Partner fire_eyes

Feb 10, 2005, 11:32 PM
Post #36 of 397 (26875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Terrie:

Super valid points all. Rendog and I have been talking about the non-availability of group sites and what a bummer that is. So here's what I've done:

RESERVED INDIAN COVE GROUP SITES #5 & #6 MAY 26-29 (Thurs-Sun)

This changes the dates for a gathering, but without a group site, we don't really have a gathering do we?

As for the other points, we can talk about organizing all of that. I can organize a group dinner in town (paid per person) for Friday and/or Saturday night. As for climbing partners, as we gather a RSVP list for attendees, I can get skill level/leading ability/have rack or don't info for each person and match up partners.

I'm also going to charge each attendee $1 per night for use of the group site (they each hold 20 people, and cost $20 per night). Site 5 can accomodate 12 cars, site 6 allows 7. So we have 19 cars in all, which means everyone must either have two people in their car, or be willing to park outside the park and ride to the site with someone else (This would be the latest respondees).

So, if you want to attend, you must PM me, I will give you an address to mail your couple of dollars to, and will send you a "ticket" which will reserve your space in the group site.

So there you go. We have new dates. Plenty of notice so it should work out (I hope) for all who wish to attend. These are the very first available group site dates (that aren't next week!)

I am starting a new thread today as well...
Woot!
Darcy

gnat

Feb 10, 2005, 11:41 PM
Post #37 of 397 (26875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

i bet you could also get several group sites for sheep pass for the july 4th weekend. since many of us have a 3 or 4 day weekend for the holiday, why not just move it to then? i'm willing to fly down and hang out in the shade.

Partner fire_eyes

Feb 10, 2005, 11:54 PM
Post #38 of 397 (26875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

i bet you could also get several group sites for sheep pass for the july 4th weekend. since many of us have a 3 or 4 day weekend for the holiday, why not just move it to then? i'm willing to fly down and hang out in the shade.

July is really HOT at Josh, and I have already reserved these dates. At least Indian Cove has some decent climbing...

I am hopeful that it is enough notice that people interested will be able to attend.

See new thread:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...hp?p=1000081#1000081

curt

Feb 11, 2005, 12:10 AM
Post #39 of 397 (26875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

July is really HOT at Josh, and I have already reserved these dates. At least Indian Cove has some decent climbing...

Well.....that was sort of the point of Gnat's sarcastic post. When fredbob said this earlier......

In reply to:
Temps in April can be toasty, so Sheep Pass (higher elevation) might be a better bet than Indian Cove (if you have a choice).

...that was a hint that earlier is better than later for JT. I lived full time in Joshua Tree for 5 years. Believe me, April can be toasty as Randy said--and the end of May can be scorching.

Curt

nikegirl

Feb 11, 2005, 12:21 AM
Post #40 of 397 (26875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

HMMMMMMMMMM???

I think that just may have to be our next adventure.
But peeps...

been two months of NO climbing!!

I would love to boulder too.

Hanger and I would seriously concider this one.

Any more room???

~T

Partner fire_eyes

Feb 11, 2005, 12:34 AM
Post #41 of 397 (26875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sheeps Pass would have definitely been my first choice, but there were no sites available...

Partner happiegrrrl

Feb 11, 2005, 2:13 AM
Post #42 of 397 (26875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

F*%#@!&CK

I am going to JTree in April, with or without a gathering......The desert bloom is going to be amazing and shite - the last time I climbed outside was JTree in December. I am JONESING.

Please - to those who KNOW JTree and how things go.....what do you suggest regarding camping. What are viable options for groups, if you can spare the time to lay it out. I understand Hidden Valley and Ryan will be next to impossible to get a spot at....

I am perfectly willing to arrive on a Monday and stay through to the weekend. I'm just gonna need some climbing partners and people to hang out with. I'm a very gracious hostess; I'll even cook dinners.

Partner tim

Feb 11, 2005, 2:18 AM
Post #43 of 397 (26875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Stay on BLM land and fret not. It's your land after all...

Unless you really really really like loud drunks all night long. In which case the Hidden Valley Boulder Roll (hey! that space wasn't there a minute ago!) has achieved mythical status.

A pox on group sites! Anyways, no worries about Josh in April. I have climbed all day in May without suffering any permanent damage, so try not to get too bent out of shape.

Anyone who suggests going somewhere in Southern California that is not the Needles during high summer is clearly trolling. (I forgot that ''gnat'' existed until someone quoted him) However Josh is nice for the other half of the year, if sometimes a bit crowded.

Basically, quit worrying. Josh isn't going anywhere and neither is the BLM land. You'll meet plenty of people at Crossroads in the morning if you camp outside the park limits (I would venture a guess that the likelihood of bumping into climbers is very similar at 8AM in Crossroads to what it is at 9AM at Intersection Rock) and will probably have a fine time whether or not there is a ''gathering'' on that particular weekend.

fo_d

Feb 11, 2005, 12:47 PM
Post #44 of 397 (26875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK, is the gathering in April or Late May? I have already started checking things out for the april dates...I cannot do late May. So whoever the official organizer is please make it clear so i can go back to my Red Rocks plans if i need to :evil:

Partner fire_eyes

Feb 11, 2005, 1:42 PM
Post #45 of 397 (26875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

SO SORRY FOR ALL THE CONFUSION!! :?

I have been communicating with rendog via PM. It looks like
APRIL IS BETTER FOR MOST! So, since there are no group sites available, I have held my two sites at Black Rock (as a desperate, last resort) but as Tim says, we can plan to camp on BLM ground. There should be room for everyone there and we could stay together. It's not so scenic, and it is outside the park, but, so is Black Rock, and it's $10 a night. There are still sites available at Black Rock during these dates.

So, plan on April, BUT, if anyone does still want to go during the May dates, let me know. I'll hold my Indian Cove Group Sites one more week, just-in-case...

Again,
SO SORRY FOR ALL THE CONFUSION!! :?

gnat

Feb 11, 2005, 11:06 PM
Post #46 of 397 (26875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Anyone who suggests going somewhere in Southern California that is not the Needles during high summer is clearly trolling. (I forgot that ''gnat'' existed until someone quoted him)

There is a significant difference between "trolling" and sarcasm. But, perhaps it takes a more "subtle" mind to pick up on the difference (as Curt did). Better luck next time.

Partner happiegrrrl

Feb 12, 2005, 1:49 AM
Post #47 of 397 (26875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oh.....what atangled web we weave....what is to happen to our April JTree holiday.... :cry:

rendog

Feb 12, 2005, 2:59 AM
Post #48 of 397 (26875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well it's still going to happen on the weekend of the 15th.

Fire_eyes still has two sites in Black, and I'll grab a couple sites for friday and sat night. I know it's a ways out from the actual climbing, but at least this way, we can hit the coffee shop in the am on the way up.

from everyone that i've talked to 99% are cool with staying at black.

I'm waiting on the beer response right now...hopefully I'll get one back in the next week or so. I'll keep you all posted

curt

Feb 12, 2005, 3:11 AM
Post #49 of 397 (26875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Black Rock campground isn't all that bad. Sure, it is removed from the main climbing areas a little ways, but so what? Lots of people actually stay in Yucca Valley when climbing at JT, or at least head into Edchadas restaurant for dinner after climbing--in which case it is easier to crash at Black Rock than it is to drive all the way back to HVCG or Indian Cove.

See ya in April.

Curt

Partner csgambill

Feb 12, 2005, 3:35 AM
Post #50 of 397 (26875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, so since I don't get another day off work until April 15th I'll probably get down to JT sometime during the week after. If any of you are still out there I'd love to hook up and do some climbing. So let me know which of you are going to be down there if you don't mind showing someone from Chicago around the desert.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Events & Gatherings

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook