Forums: Climbing Information: Technique & Training:
Post deleted by flesh
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

 


flesh


Mar 14, 2011, 12:46 PM
Post #1 of 75 (9047 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 11, 2011
Posts: 417

Post deleted by flesh
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (14 ratings)  

 


milesenoell


Mar 14, 2011, 1:09 PM
Post #2 of 75 (9026 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 19, 2006
Posts: 1156

Re: [flesh] v9-v12 in 3 months, my power training. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Are you putting these monstrous posts out for other people's benefit or to fish for constructive criticism?

edit: cause I came off as a dick


(This post was edited by milesenoell on Mar 14, 2011, 5:55 PM)


flesh


Mar 14, 2011, 1:26 PM
Post #3 of 75 (9005 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 11, 2011
Posts: 417

Post deleted by flesh [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  

 


milesenoell


Mar 14, 2011, 1:33 PM
Post #4 of 75 (8978 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 19, 2006
Posts: 1156

Re: [flesh] v9-v12 in 3 months, my power training. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Sorry if I came off as dismissive, I was just being frank.


sungam


Mar 15, 2011, 4:32 AM
Post #5 of 75 (8838 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26584

Re: [flesh] v9-v12 in 3 months, my power training. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Dunno why people are 1-starring you. Some interesting thing to discuss @ weighted large rungs over unweighted small rungs and such.


flesh


Mar 15, 2011, 2:51 PM
Post #6 of 75 (8755 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 11, 2011
Posts: 417

Post deleted by flesh [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  

 


lithiummetalman


Mar 15, 2011, 3:31 PM
Post #7 of 75 (8737 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 28, 2004
Posts: 286

Re: [flesh] v9-v12 in 3 months, my power training. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Willing to be a guinea pig...PM me...having a hard time seeing this (more a visual learner)


ryanb


Mar 15, 2011, 3:43 PM
Post #8 of 75 (8727 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 4, 2004
Posts: 832

Re: [flesh] v9-v12 in 3 months, my power training. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

flesh wrote:
sungam wrote:
Dunno why people are 1-starring you. Some interesting thing to discuss @ weighted large rungs over unweighted small rungs and such.

It's the internet.

All I know is I do it and it works. I was very surprised just last night doing my weekly campusing session, I went from a previous best of six-7 reps on the smaller rungs to eight, on three different sets, In one week. I never would have thought safe gains could be made so quickly.

I'd love to see some people do this once a week for a month and report back.

Your posts are the most interesting thing on this site at the moment and I will certainly try some things from both this and the diet post.


flesh


Mar 15, 2011, 4:51 PM
Post #9 of 75 (8708 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 11, 2011
Posts: 417

Post deleted by flesh [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  

 


Rufsen


Mar 16, 2011, 5:15 AM
Post #10 of 75 (8639 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 8, 2008
Posts: 126

Re: [flesh] v9-v12 in 3 months, my power training. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

flesh wrote:
ryanb wrote:
flesh wrote:
sungam wrote:
Dunno why people are 1-starring you. Some interesting thing to discuss @ weighted large rungs over unweighted small rungs and such.

It's the internet.

All I know is I do it and it works. I was very surprised just last night doing my weekly campusing session, I went from a previous best of six-7 reps on the smaller rungs to eight, on three different sets, In one week. I never would have thought safe gains could be made so quickly.

I'd love to see some people do this once a week for a month and report back.

Your posts are the most interesting thing on this site at the moment and I will certainly try some things from both this and the diet post.

Cool! Thanks... I figured there was someone not posting who might be as excited as me about this. I'm sure it's all been done before but it's new to me and I've been climbing forever it seems.

If anyone wants help with this just pm me, a couple others already have.

Well. Your original post does not contain much information beyond "weighted doubles on big rungs, 5-8 reps, five minutes rest between sets. Polymetric, open hand."

I've read it a few times and i still don't know how often you train, how much volume you do in a session or how often you climb or boulder in addition to your campus training. Those things are useful to know.

But otherwise interesting stuff, i might try some of it later when I'm not as focused on my sportclimbing fitness.


flesh


Mar 16, 2011, 10:16 AM
Post #11 of 75 (8585 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 11, 2011
Posts: 417

Post deleted by flesh [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  

 


Rufsen


Mar 17, 2011, 4:13 AM
Post #12 of 75 (8519 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 8, 2008
Posts: 126

Re: [flesh] v9-v12 in 3 months, my power training. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Sounds like a perfectly sound recruitment phase. Will probably try something like that out in the fall after this season is over, not going to change anything in my training right now.

I don't see why people are giving you 1 star for these posts. This is not radically different from campusing excersices described in SCC or Rockprodigys article.


flesh


Mar 18, 2011, 11:23 AM
Post #13 of 75 (8403 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 11, 2011
Posts: 417

Post deleted by flesh [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  

 


spikeddem


Mar 18, 2011, 11:25 AM
Post #14 of 75 (8399 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 27, 2007
Posts: 6319

Re: [flesh] v9-v12 in 3 months, my power training. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

flesh wrote:
Rufsen wrote:
Sounds like a perfectly sound recruitment phase. Will probably try something like that out in the fall after this season is over, not going to change anything in my training right now.

I don't see why people are giving you 1 star for these posts. This is not radically different from campusing excersices described in SCC or Rockprodigys article.


If someone ever does exactly what I've suggested for a whole month, I WILL get more stars, lol. I am simply astounded as to how much of a difference it makes. Just as significant as that, it doesn't hurt my connective tissue, only my muscles get sore. Between the two rung sizes I use, and by adding up to 30 lbs of weight, one could go from v6 to v13 with just these two rung sizes and variations in weight.
I'm with you on a lot of things, but do you honestly think that genetics don't play a role here? There are many, many people that simply would never be able to climb V10, much less V13.

I mean, honestly, Daniel Woods could just as easily come on here and post what he has done and say hat anyone could go from V13 to V15/V16, but do you think that'd happen for everyone?


Partner supersonick


Mar 18, 2011, 12:47 PM
Post #15 of 75 (8359 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 18, 2002
Posts: 157

Re: [flesh] v9-v12 in 3 months, my power training. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What V12(s) did you do? What V11s?


flesh


Mar 18, 2011, 7:36 PM
Post #16 of 75 (8286 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 11, 2011
Posts: 417

Post deleted by flesh [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  

 


spikeddem


Mar 18, 2011, 8:03 PM
Post #17 of 75 (8278 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 27, 2007
Posts: 6319

Re: [flesh] v9-v12 in 3 months, my power training. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

flesh wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
flesh wrote:
Rufsen wrote:
Sounds like a perfectly sound recruitment phase. Will probably try something like that out in the fall after this season is over, not going to change anything in my training right now.

I don't see why people are giving you 1 star for these posts. This is not radically different from campusing excersices described in SCC or Rockprodigys article.


If someone ever does exactly what I've suggested for a whole month, I WILL get more stars, lol. I am simply astounded as to how much of a difference it makes. Just as significant as that, it doesn't hurt my connective tissue, only my muscles get sore. Between the two rung sizes I use, and by adding up to 30 lbs of weight, one could go from v6 to v13 with just these two rung sizes and variations in weight.
I'm with you on a lot of things, but do you honestly think that genetics don't play a role here? There are many, many people that simply would never be able to climb V10, much less V13.

I mean, honestly, Daniel Woods could just as easily come on here and post what he has done and say hat anyone could go from V13 to V15/V16, but do you think that'd happen for everyone?

Honestly, your right. It does make a difference. Just look at how many injuries i've had.... yet many of my friends have had one or none.

However, I DO think pretty much anyone can get to v10.... beyond that.......

Me personally, I probably couldn't get past v10 if I had to do crimper problems, without getting injured, I already proved that 7 times! LOL

For me, if I stay open handed.... It seems I can try as hard as I want without any issues.

I assume alot of people are in the same boat. Crimping puts more stress on your connective tissue than open hand.
You really think anyone can get to V10? It's hard to say, but I'm not so sure.


flesh


Mar 21, 2011, 2:54 PM
Post #18 of 75 (8098 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 11, 2011
Posts: 417

Post deleted by flesh [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  

 


Jooler


Mar 21, 2011, 3:11 PM
Post #19 of 75 (8087 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 21, 2010
Posts: 171

Re: [flesh] v9-v12 in 3 months, my power training. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What about Verne Troyer (or someone of a similar stature)?

http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Entertainment/images-4/verne-troyer-3.jpg


mr.tastycakes


Mar 21, 2011, 3:39 PM
Post #20 of 75 (8068 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 10, 2008
Posts: 310

Re: [Jooler] v9-v12 in 3 months, my power training. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Jooler wrote:
What about Verne Troyer (or someone of a similar stature)?

http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Entertainment/images-4/verne-troyer-3.jpg

here's an 8 year old girl climbing V10:

http://www.dpmclimbing.com/...-8-power-silence-v10


Jooler


Mar 21, 2011, 3:44 PM
Post #21 of 75 (8064 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 21, 2010
Posts: 171

Re: [mr.tastycakes] v9-v12 in 3 months, my power training. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

You must be looking at the wrong picture if you think an 8 year old girl and a little person have same body types...


I'm not trying to be inconsiderate, so I hope I don't come across that way Unsure


spikeddem


Mar 21, 2011, 4:46 PM
Post #22 of 75 (8043 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 27, 2007
Posts: 6319

Re: [flesh] v9-v12 in 3 months, my power training. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

flesh wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
flesh wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
flesh wrote:
Rufsen wrote:
Sounds like a perfectly sound recruitment phase. Will probably try something like that out in the fall after this season is over, not going to change anything in my training right now.

I don't see why people are giving you 1 star for these posts. This is not radically different from campusing excersices described in SCC or Rockprodigys article.


If someone ever does exactly what I've suggested for a whole month, I WILL get more stars, lol. I am simply astounded as to how much of a difference it makes. Just as significant as that, it doesn't hurt my connective tissue, only my muscles get sore. Between the two rung sizes I use, and by adding up to 30 lbs of weight, one could go from v6 to v13 with just these two rung sizes and variations in weight.
I'm with you on a lot of things, but do you honestly think that genetics don't play a role here? There are many, many people that simply would never be able to climb V10, much less V13.

I mean, honestly, Daniel Woods could just as easily come on here and post what he has done and say hat anyone could go from V13 to V15/V16, but do you think that'd happen for everyone?

Honestly, your right. It does make a difference. Just look at how many injuries i've had.... yet many of my friends have had one or none.

However, I DO think pretty much anyone can get to v10.... beyond that.......

Me personally, I probably couldn't get past v10 if I had to do crimper problems, without getting injured, I already proved that 7 times! LOL

For me, if I stay open handed.... It seems I can try as hard as I want without any issues.

I assume alot of people are in the same boat. Crimping puts more stress on your connective tissue than open hand.
You really think anyone can get to V10? It's hard to say, but I'm not so sure.

I'd like to say YES, almost anyone could do it. For example, anyone willing to do the following/basically the work.

-5% body fat.
-Spend 5+ years training power with bouldering/power oriented training.
-Climb open handed 90% of your climbing.
-Get enough nutrients
-stay injury or almost injury free/by doing what you'll find in that forum

It's possible for anyone to do those things if they desired. None of those things have much to do with genetic limitations.

I don't believe one could say they couldn't climb v10 due to anything but personal limiting beliefs until they've done the above listed things, imo.

I was tested at 6.5% body fat at 5 11 3/4 and 158 lbs this weekend. I plan on cutting about 4 lbs and getting to 5% then maintaining that.

FYI, I would have disagreed with me one year ago ;)

Hmm. I don't have any evidence; the only argument I can really make is "Why not V11?" If you think anyone could do V11, then why not V12? (and so on)


mr.tastycakes


Mar 22, 2011, 7:48 AM
Post #23 of 75 (7975 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 10, 2008
Posts: 310

Re: [Jooler] v9-v12 in 3 months, my power training. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Jooler wrote:
You must be looking at the wrong picture if you think an 8 year old girl and a little person have same body types...


I'm not trying to be inconsiderate, so I hope I don't come across that way Unsure

Well, they're both little, at least. But, if you want to see someone who can climb well despite actually physical deformities, look up Philippe Ribiere. Of course, he's much bigger than Verne Troyer.

I think whether the average climber could climb V10 is an interesting topic of conversation. In Dave Graham's rambling wizardry interview he says he thinks the average climber can get to V10 because it's just "not that hard." As a mediocre/poor climber, I hope he's at least partially right. Wink


spikeddem


Mar 22, 2011, 7:51 AM
Post #24 of 75 (7971 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 27, 2007
Posts: 6319

Re: [mr.tastycakes] v9-v12 in 3 months, my power training. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

mr.tastycakes wrote:
I think whether the average climber could climb V10 is an interesting topic of conversation. In Dave Graham's rambling wizardry interview he says he thinks the average climber can get to V10 because it's just "not that hard." As a mediocre/poor climber, I hope he's at least partially right. Wink

Flesh has been saying that any climber (barring obvious physical impedances) could reach V10. Not just the average climber. I think that's even less likely.


flesh


Mar 22, 2011, 11:49 AM
Post #25 of 75 (7903 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 11, 2011
Posts: 417

Post deleted by flesh [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  

 


Jooler


Mar 22, 2011, 12:08 PM
Post #26 of 75 (5465 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 21, 2010
Posts: 171

Re: [flesh] v9-v12 in 3 months, my power training. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I don't know if ANYONE could, but I'll half agree and say the majority could. Although the majority is not willing to put in the work that it takes to get to that level.


userdude


Mar 23, 2011, 2:00 AM
Post #27 of 75 (5427 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 7, 2010
Posts: 33

Re: [Jooler] v9-v12 in 3 months, my power training. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

^ my thoughts, exactly.


ceebo


Mar 23, 2011, 7:58 AM
Post #28 of 75 (5414 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 8, 2009
Posts: 862

Re: [spikeddem] v9-v12 in 3 months, my power training. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hmm. I don't have any evidence; the only argument I can really make is "Why not V11?" If you think anyone could do V11, then why not V12? (and so on)

He does have a point, but i don't think you can say such a specific number.

Seems to me that the avg climber doing 2-3 day a week and not using campus boards and hang boards etc.. are stuck between late 5.11's and early 5.12's. Also seems allot of these people have been stuck their for years. ''On avg'' is probably not a good term here, perhaps its better to say that 2 out of every 3 climbers seem to be in this zone.

People climbing 4-6 days per week and/or using campus/hang boards are clearly going to push those numbers up, id say 5.12 - 5.13, or v6/v10 on avg. Obviously their can not be exact number.. v6/v10 is a huge range.. but that totally factors in the fact that we are human and individual.. adding many variables.

If we were all robots programed to the exact.. i would say yes, their would be a specific number of days/methods of training that result in ALL robots climbing v10.

But you can look at the grade people climb, compare that to the number of days they train and how.. and use it as some basic guide. I find it amusing that in the face of all the evidance of how effective campus boards and so are (as in alot of people using them climb hard) the avg person still fails to accept them as a means to train.. i think they can not be bothered personally.


(This post was edited by ceebo on Mar 23, 2011, 8:02 AM)


saint_john


Mar 23, 2011, 8:45 AM
Post #29 of 75 (5398 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 4, 2010
Posts: 494

Re: [Jooler] v9-v12 in 3 months, my power training. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Jooler wrote:
I don't know if ANYONE could, but I'll half agree and say the majority could. Although the majority is not willing to put in the work that it takes to get to that level.

I agree.
Anyone who is 5% body fat, took preventative measures not to get injured, and trained hard for 5 years could send V10, could be a competitive marathoner, could win a Catagory 1 bike race, etc...


(This post was edited by saint_john on Mar 23, 2011, 8:47 AM)


flesh


Apr 21, 2011, 1:37 PM
Post #30 of 75 (5277 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 11, 2011
Posts: 417

Post deleted by flesh [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  

 


Stormeh


Apr 21, 2011, 1:58 PM
Post #31 of 75 (5270 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 19, 2008
Posts: 73

Re: [flesh] v9-v12 in 3 months, my power training. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

You guys are off your rocker if you think anyone or even close to anyone can attain V10 with the right amount of training. Climbing a V10 automatically puts you at the top of the bell curve when it comes to genetics that benefit climbing.


(This post was edited by Stormeh on Apr 21, 2011, 2:09 PM)


flesh


Apr 21, 2011, 2:07 PM
Post #32 of 75 (5269 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 11, 2011
Posts: 417

Post deleted by flesh [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  

 


erisspirit


Apr 21, 2011, 4:34 PM
Post #33 of 75 (5237 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 14, 2004
Posts: 3756

Re: [flesh] v9-v12 in 3 months, my power training. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

flesh wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
flesh wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
flesh wrote:
Rufsen wrote:
Sounds like a perfectly sound recruitment phase. Will probably try something like that out in the fall after this season is over, not going to change anything in my training right now.

I don't see why people are giving you 1 star for these posts. This is not radically different from campusing excersices described in SCC or Rockprodigys article.


If someone ever does exactly what I've suggested for a whole month, I WILL get more stars, lol. I am simply astounded as to how much of a difference it makes. Just as significant as that, it doesn't hurt my connective tissue, only my muscles get sore. Between the two rung sizes I use, and by adding up to 30 lbs of weight, one could go from v6 to v13 with just these two rung sizes and variations in weight.
I'm with you on a lot of things, but do you honestly think that genetics don't play a role here? There are many, many people that simply would never be able to climb V10, much less V13.

I mean, honestly, Daniel Woods could just as easily come on here and post what he has done and say hat anyone could go from V13 to V15/V16, but do you think that'd happen for everyone?

Honestly, your right. It does make a difference. Just look at how many injuries i've had.... yet many of my friends have had one or none.

However, I DO think pretty much anyone can get to v10.... beyond that.......

Me personally, I probably couldn't get past v10 if I had to do crimper problems, without getting injured, I already proved that 7 times! LOL

For me, if I stay open handed.... It seems I can try as hard as I want without any issues.

I assume alot of people are in the same boat. Crimping puts more stress on your connective tissue than open hand.
You really think anyone can get to V10? It's hard to say, but I'm not so sure.

I'd like to say YES, almost anyone could do it. For example, anyone willing to do the following/basically the work.

-5% body fat.
-Spend 5+ years training power with bouldering/power oriented training.
-Climb open handed 90% of your climbing.
-Get enough nutrients
-stay injury or almost injury free/by doing what you'll find in that forum

It's possible for anyone to do those things if they desired. None of those things have much to do with genetic limitations.

I don't believe one could say they couldn't climb v10 due to anything but personal limiting beliefs until they've done the above listed things, imo.

I was tested at 6.5% body fat at 5 11 3/4 and 158 lbs this weekend. I plan on cutting about 4 lbs and getting to 5% then maintaining that.

FYI, I would have disagreed with me one year ago ;)


So is the "Anyone can climb V10" idea only for men? because I'm pretty sure women shouldn't be cutting down to 5% body fat.


enigma


Apr 22, 2011, 1:40 AM
Post #34 of 75 (5209 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 19, 2002
Posts: 2279

Re: [flesh] v9-v12 in 3 months, my power training. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

flesh wrote:
Couple of small updates on this.

One, I've cut another 3 lbs for 17 lbs total.... I've got 3-4 lbs to go which will put me at 6 0 154. It's getting very hard to trim at this point ... I'm around 6.5% body fat now.

Two, I've continued to do my campus workout, I no longer ever use the larger rung because it's to easy for me to do 8+ reps with 30 lbs hanging on me.

I'm using the one pad rungs now, doing doubles, skipping one rung on the way up and one on the way down. 3 weeks ago when I did this I managed a best of 7 reps without weight. Yesterday I did it again and managed 8 reps on 3 different sets with 10 lbs added! Pretty psyched, definately a measurable improvement. I haven't been able to do a harder grade bouldering yet but I have been seeing my onsight level and the rate at which I can dispose of boulder problems below my max speed up. I estimate that by the time I can do 8 reps on this one pad rung, doubles, with 30 lbs, I should do v13. It may take a year or two though, well see, things are going very well and there is no plateau in sight.

A side note, by staying away from crimping as much as possible, and by losing even more weight, I've noticed my body/fingers hurt less in general, I'm able to climb at a high level every other day.... the only time i feel beat down is if I crimp.

It's surprising to me how much less it hurts to climb in general being so light weight and because I can climb more at a high level in general I'm sure that will pay dividends in terms of overall strength and by being able to workout more, longer, it will be easier to cut the weight off.

BTW, I only crimp at my max power level about once a month. Usually because im outside and a problem has one crimp or I'm at a comp and I can't be competitive without doing a couple crimper problems.
\
Pictures Please

While you disagree with genetics, have you ever seen identical twins raised apart with different diets and training?
Or ones that were raised in different families, who didn't even know the other one existed.
Guess what they weigh? , stays within a few pounds of each other. When trained for a sport their body types , muscles remain quite similiar.
Sure you can change some of the variables, However genetics plays a major part.

What does your diet consist of?

I have two friends of mine who are ironman/ironwoman.
They train hard and have been for 10 years or more. However they had a natural body type for running,swimming,biking for those intense competitions.
Of course if they never decided to compete. Who knows what they could do.

It's training and genetics both.

I've trained with those Winklevoss twins, guess what when they row apart their pace, split is almost identical.

Are you a teenager?


(This post was edited by enigma on Apr 22, 2011, 1:58 AM)


flesh


Apr 22, 2011, 10:22 AM
Post #35 of 75 (5158 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 11, 2011
Posts: 417

Post deleted by flesh [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

 


flesh


Apr 22, 2011, 10:43 AM
Post #36 of 75 (5152 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 11, 2011
Posts: 417

Post deleted by flesh [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  

 


csproul


Apr 22, 2011, 11:20 AM
Post #37 of 75 (5144 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 4, 2004
Posts: 1767

Re: [flesh] v9-v12 in 3 months, my power training. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

flesh wrote:
Stormeh wrote:
You guys are off your rocker if you think anyone or even close to anyone attain V10 with the right amount of training. Climbing a V10 automatically puts you at the top of the bell curve when it comes to genetic that benefit climbing.

What bouldering bell curve are you speaking of?

If there was one that was accurate, would it look different in 20 years? What would it have looked like 20 years ago?

Have you met someone who's been 5% body fat for 5 years and regularly bouldered and power trained who can't climb v10? Is it in most people's control to get to 5% body fat and boulder/power train regularly for five years? Could most people choose to climb certain types of holds and climbs that are less likely to injure you?

Do we really know what's possible given the lack of sport science in climbing?

I'm not saying you've mistaken, just that, much, much more is possible than most people believe and that I think this debate would be totally different in twenty years.

Bottom line is, which philosophy is most likely to allow you to succeed? Would you prefer to be right or to be more successful?

PZ
I can't really say if anything you say is correct training-wise. You could be completely full of shit for all I know, but I sure do like your attitude.


johnwesely


Apr 22, 2011, 11:25 AM
Post #38 of 75 (5143 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 12, 2006
Posts: 5343

Re: [flesh] v9-v12 in 3 months, my power training. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I hover around 4% body fat. What I should I be doing to be beast climber?


enigma


Apr 22, 2011, 1:24 PM
Post #39 of 75 (5113 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 19, 2002
Posts: 2279

Re: [flesh] v9-v12 in 3 months, my power training. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

flesh wrote:
enigma wrote:
flesh wrote:
Couple of small updates on this.

One, I've cut another 3 lbs for 17 lbs total.... I've got 3-4 lbs to go which will put me at 6 0 154. It's getting very hard to trim at this point ... I'm around 6.5% body fat now.

Two, I've continued to do my campus workout, I no longer ever use the larger rung because it's to easy for me to do 8+ reps with 30 lbs hanging on me.

I'm using the one pad rungs now, doing doubles, skipping one rung on the way up and one on the way down. 3 weeks ago when I did this I managed a best of 7 reps without weight. Yesterday I did it again and managed 8 reps on 3 different sets with 10 lbs added! Pretty psyched, definately a measurable improvement. I haven't been able to do a harder grade bouldering yet but I have been seeing my onsight level and the rate at which I can dispose of boulder problems below my max speed up. I estimate that by the time I can do 8 reps on this one pad rung, doubles, with 30 lbs, I should do v13. It may take a year or two though, well see, things are going very well and there is no plateau in sight.

A side note, by staying away from crimping as much as possible, and by losing even more weight, I've noticed my body/fingers hurt less in general, I'm able to climb at a high level every other day.... the only time i feel beat down is if I crimp.

It's surprising to me how much less it hurts to climb in general being so light weight and because I can climb more at a high level in general I'm sure that will pay dividends in terms of overall strength and by being able to workout more, longer, it will be easier to cut the weight off.

BTW, I only crimp at my max power level about once a month. Usually because im outside and a problem has one crimp or I'm at a comp and I can't be competitive without doing a couple crimper problems.
\
Pictures Please

While you disagree with genetics,----genetics make a big difference, i've been surrounded by mutants for years, however, v10 isn't mutant level. One of my main climbing partners could do pull ups off one pad middle finger monos when he could only boulder v7, I still can't do this. FYI, he went from v7 to v13 in 3 years and now is winning competitions.

have you ever seen identical twins raised apart with different diets and training?
Or ones that were raised in different families, who didn't even know the other one existed.
Guess what they weigh? , stays within a few pounds of each other. When trained for a sport their body types , muscles remain quite similiar.
Sure you can change some of the variables, However genetics plays a major part.

What does your diet consist of?

---------my diet is listed in one of my other threads here. For most people, if you burn more calories than you eat, you will lose fat. Are you saying that if people burn 2500 calories/day and eat 2000 they won't lose fat?

I have two friends of mine who are ironman/ironwoman.
They train hard and have been for 10 years or more. However they had a natural body type for running,swimming,biking for those intense competitions.
Of course if they never decided to compete. Who knows what they could do.

It's training and genetics both.

I've trained with those Winklevoss twins, guess what when they row apart their pace, split is almost identical.

----they probably workout the same, apparently they spend alot of time together, stands to reason

Are you a teenager?

-----very classy, congratulations on resorting to insults.


I didn't insult you. I just asked to see some evidence. Surely you understand that you can say anything on the internet. If you are bouldering , you must have a friend to take photos of your outstanding accomplishments.
You obviously don't understand genetics. Or the studies done, on identical twins raised apart.
If you are a teenager, why not admit it?
Why don't you answer the questions? Or would it prove this entire thread wrong. Crazy


Stormeh


Apr 22, 2011, 1:50 PM
Post #40 of 75 (5102 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 19, 2008
Posts: 73

Re: [flesh] v9-v12 in 3 months, my power training. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
What bouldering bell curve are you speaking of?
I know of no bouldering specific curve, but the curve published in Horst's "Training for Climbing" book show the percentage of dedicated climbers that can climb 5.12 or higher to be very low compared to the rest (I don't have the book in front of me, I can edit with percentages later.) And that's only 5.12! You realize that a V10 roughly equates to 5.13d moves (at least on a number of conversion charts found on the net)? It amazes me that you think any person can pull 5.13d moves without any sort of genetic gifting, through purely hard work.

In reply to:
If there was one that was accurate, would it look different in 20 years? What would it have looked like 20 years ago?
I agree that the grades climbers can succeed at have inflated over the years, however, I attribute this primarily to the existence of better technology (sticky rubber, better pro, etc.) as well as the prevalence of climbing specific training options (gyms, hangboards, etc.) I don't think we will see the kind of explosion in grades in the next 20 years as we have in the past 20.

In reply to:
Have you met someone who's been 5% body fat for 5 years and regularly bouldered and power trained who can't climb v10? Is it in most people's control to get to 5% body fat and boulder/power train regularly for five years? Could most people choose to climb certain types of holds and climbs that are less likely to injure you?
I know several climbers that have ~ 5% body fat and have regularly bouldered and trained for 5 years, and none of them climb V10. Perhaps V7, on a good day. Although this is purely anecdotal, it does not seem to agree with your assertion as you seem to think it would.

In reply to:
Do we really know what's possible given the lack of sport science in climbing?
No, we don't know what's possible. We're both just making educated guesses here.

In reply to:
I'm not saying you've mistaken, just that, much, much more is possible than most people believe and that I think this debate would be totally different in twenty years.

Bottom line is, which philosophy is most likely to allow you to succeed? Would you prefer to be right or to be more successful?

PZ
I like your philosophy. It is very positive and will no doubt take you further than a self defeatist attitude. However, I still disagree with your assertion that anyone, or even most people, could attain V10 with the right amount of training and hard work.

Stormeh


flesh


Apr 22, 2011, 2:27 PM
Post #41 of 75 (5100 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 11, 2011
Posts: 417

Post deleted by flesh [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

 


flesh


Apr 22, 2011, 2:54 PM
Post #42 of 75 (5086 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 11, 2011
Posts: 417

Post deleted by flesh [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

 


enigma


Apr 22, 2011, 9:10 PM
Post #43 of 75 (5043 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 19, 2002
Posts: 2279

Re: [flesh] v9-v12 in 3 months, my power training. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Until you produce photos of these V9-V-12's of you bouldering. I call your bluff. It's all talk on the internet. Walk the Walk, Boulder the Rock. We want proof,. Or this is just B.S. !

Get a cheap camera, and have someone take photos. No photo-shopping allowed.

How many days ? Wink

You can get photos developed in an hour.
By Monday. April 25. 2011.


sungam


Apr 23, 2011, 6:47 AM
Post #44 of 75 (5015 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26584

Re: [flesh] v9-v12 in 3 months, my power training. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

flesh wrote:
erisspirit wrote:
So is the "Anyone can climb V10" idea only for men? because I'm pretty sure women shouldn't be cutting down to 5% body fat.
*stuff*

Here's the first link of google from a search for "health problems caused by low body fat in women": http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00342.
The first time I heard about low body fat % issues was in Dave MacLeod's book, which had a fair amount of information on the subject. I'm sure you'll be able to dig out plenty more information around the internet, through you'll probably have to shovel through sites and sites of dieting plans from having the word "fat" in your search.


onceahardman


Apr 23, 2011, 12:36 PM
Post #45 of 75 (4993 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 3, 2007
Posts: 2469

Re: [enigma] v9-v12 in 3 months, my power training. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
I didn't insult you.

So, you edit your post, remove the insults, and then claim you didn't insult anybody?

Just lovely.


enigma


Apr 23, 2011, 1:00 PM
Post #46 of 75 (4987 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 19, 2002
Posts: 2279

Re: [onceahardman] v9-v12 in 3 months, my power training. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
In reply to:
I didn't insult you.

So, you edit your post, remove the insults, and then claim you didn't insult anybody?

Just lovely.

Crazy

this is a different thread ,
don't get confused by lack of compassion for your fellow rockclimber.



(This post was edited by enigma on Apr 23, 2011, 1:05 PM)


flesh


Apr 23, 2011, 1:32 PM
Post #47 of 75 (4977 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 11, 2011
Posts: 417

Post deleted by flesh [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

 


onceahardman


Apr 23, 2011, 1:55 PM
Post #49 of 75 (4969 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 3, 2007
Posts: 2469

Re: [enigma] v9-v12 in 3 months, my power training. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
onceahardman wrote:
In reply to:
I didn't insult you.

So, you edit your post, remove the insults, and then claim you didn't insult anybody?

Just lovely.

Crazy

this is a different thread ,
don't get confused by lack of compassion for your fellow rockclimber.

Oh, I have good clarity on this. Your edited post (including the edit notice):

enigma wrote:
Pictures Please

While you disagree with genetics, have you ever seen identical twins raised apart with different diets and training?
Or ones that were raised in different families, who didn't even know the other one existed.
Guess what they weigh? , stays within a few pounds of each other. When trained for a sport their body types , muscles remain quite similiar.
Sure you can change some of the variables, However genetics plays a major part.

What does your diet consist of?

I have two friends of mine who are ironman/ironwoman.
They train hard and have been for 10 years or more. However they had a natural body type for running,swimming,biking for those intense competitions.
Of course if they never decided to compete. Who knows what they could do.

It's training and genetics both.

I've trained with those Winklevoss twins, guess what when they row apart their pace, split is almost identical.

Are you a teenager?


(This post was edited by enigma on Apr 22, 2011, 1:58 AM)

BUT- what you said first was:

enigma wrote:
Pictures Please

While you disagree with genetics,----genetics make a big difference, i've been surrounded by mutants for years, however, v10 isn't mutant level. One of my main climbing partners could do pull ups off one pad middle finger monos when he could only boulder v7, I still can't do this. FYI, he went from v7 to v13 in 3 years and now is winning competitions.

have you ever seen identical twins raised apart with different diets and training?
Or ones that were raised in different families, who didn't even know the other one existed.
Guess what they weigh? , stays within a few pounds of each other. When trained for a sport their body types , muscles remain quite similiar.
Sure you can change some of the variables, However genetics plays a major part.

What does your diet consist of?

---------my diet is listed in one of my other threads here. For most people, if you burn more calories than you eat, you will lose fat. Are you saying that if people burn 2500 calories/day and eat 2000 they won't lose fat?

I have two friends of mine who are ironman/ironwoman.
They train hard and have been for 10 years or more. However they had a natural body type for running,swimming,biking for those intense competitions.
Of course if they never decided to compete. Who knows what they could do.

It's training and genetics both.

I've trained with those Winklevoss twins, guess what when they row apart their pace, split is almost identical.

----they probably workout the same, apparently they spend alot of time together, stands to reason

Are you a teenager?

So you edited, and removed some things that might be perceived as insults, then you innocently stated you had not insulted anyone.

It's not the crime, it's the coverup.


Partner supersonick


Apr 25, 2011, 9:22 AM
Post #60 of 75 (2138 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 18, 2002
Posts: 157

Re: [flesh] v9-v12 in 3 months, my power training. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

flesh wrote:
For the folks reading this that aren't posting I'd like to add that all these naysayers are one of the biggest challenges to your success. For the record, I would've been amongst these naysayers just 1 year ago, even though at that point I had 10 years experience and had already climbed at a reasonably high level for a long time.

My point is this, the reason that you are at the level your at is because of the stories your telling yourself. Some of them may be true, some of them half true and some of them that your totally convinced of will in hindsight become completely untrue. Expect the unexpected.

Make it a habit to prove yourself and others wrong and you'll realize your potential.

I can't tell you how many climbers I've discussed weight loss with that claim that they can't lose fat or that if they we're to cut calories that their climbing would suffer because they would lose muscle or that they already have low body fat, there just big boned, etc. Some of them trusted me enough to get past their own disbelief and to just TRY it. They have all been very happy with the results. It's very difficult and takes commitment but it's worth it, if your desire is to see your climbing take off more than most anything else.

I'm glad people don't believe me, because their posts give the others reading this thread the chance to see some of the stories that folks tell themselves so that they don't have deal with the truth. Most intelligent folks have very intelligent reasons for why they aren't getting what they want. It's much easier to create a solid alibi then to make changes.

Do you want good reasons or do you want to make breakthroughs?

What V12 did you do? Do you have any video?


suprasoup


Apr 25, 2011, 1:33 PM
Post #61 of 75 (2092 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 7, 2005
Posts: 309

Re: [johnwesely] v9-v12 in 3 months, my power training. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
I hover around 4% body fat. What I should I be doing to be beast climber?

Apparently all you need to do now is campus.

Supra


johnwesely


Apr 25, 2011, 3:22 PM
Post #62 of 75 (2061 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 12, 2006
Posts: 5343

Re: [suprasoup] v9-v12 in 3 months, my power training. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

suprasoup wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
I hover around 4% body fat. What I should I be doing to be beast climber?

Apparently all you need to do now is campus.

Supra

How many times a day?


suprasoup


Apr 25, 2011, 3:53 PM
Post #63 of 75 (2048 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 7, 2005
Posts: 309

Re: [johnwesely] v9-v12 in 3 months, my power training. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
suprasoup wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
I hover around 4% body fat. What I should I be doing to be beast climber?

Apparently all you need to do now is campus.

Supra

How many times a day?

Dunno, you'll have to ask flesh that one. I'm still wrapping my head around dropping two rungs with 30lbs on me. How's the planche push ups coming along?

Supra


johnwesely


Apr 25, 2011, 4:30 PM
Post #64 of 75 (2040 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 12, 2006
Posts: 5343

Re: [suprasoup] v9-v12 in 3 months, my power training. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

suprasoup wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
suprasoup wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
I hover around 4% body fat. What I should I be doing to be beast climber?

Apparently all you need to do now is campus.

Supra

How many times a day?

Dunno, you'll have to ask flesh that one. I'm still wrapping my head around dropping two rungs with 30lbs on me. How's the planche push ups coming along?

Supra

They are not coming at all. I quit when I went to the Gunks last year and never got back into it because my partner in crime had a kid.


bennydh


Apr 25, 2011, 4:50 PM
Post #65 of 75 (2038 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 1, 2005
Posts: 368

Re: [flesh] v9-v12 in 3 months, my power training. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Based on personal experience, I'm going to disagree with the V10 estimate.

If we are talking about getting more than a handful of V10 under ones belt, spread from climbing destination to climbing destination, and not just the worlds softest 1 move wonder type of v10, then the concept is even more fantastical IMO.

You've guessed that Anyone can tick V10 in 5 years following your advice, but you've also recognized that you climbed for a period of 9 years where your max was V9?

Do your really think that the forementioned base of training for climbing didn't strengthen your body against injury, and put you in a place to push yourself to the next level? You spent years creating muscle memory, training recruitment for specific muscle groups, building otherwise unused muscle... and then you tell people anyone can do it in 5 years.

It seems deluded.

Although, this is a case where I'd like to be wrong.


flesh


Apr 26, 2011, 10:47 AM
Post #66 of 75 (1957 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 11, 2011
Posts: 417

Post deleted by flesh [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

 


Partner supersonick


Apr 26, 2011, 10:49 AM
Post #67 of 75 (1954 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 18, 2002
Posts: 157

Re: [flesh] v9-v12 in 3 months, my power training. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

What V12 did you do?


curt


Apr 26, 2011, 8:51 PM
Post #68 of 75 (1897 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 26, 2002
Posts: 18228

Re: [flesh] v9-v12 in 3 months, my power training. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

flesh wrote:
...I started climbing right when I turned 17. I did my first v10 at 21, at 22 i had done a dozen v10's and a dozen v9's outside...

I'm pretty sure I did my first consensus V10 at age 43--after climbing 20 years. Go figure.

Curt


bennydh


Apr 27, 2011, 12:14 AM
Post #69 of 75 (1874 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 1, 2005
Posts: 368

Re: [flesh] v9-v12 in 3 months, my power training. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

flesh wrote:
bennydh wrote:
Based on personal experience, I'm going to disagree with the V10 estimate.

If we are talking about getting more than a handful of V10 under ones belt, spread from climbing destination to climbing destination, and not just the worlds softest 1 move wonder type of v10, then the concept is even more fantastical IMO.

You've guessed that Anyone can tick V10 in 5 years following your advice, but you've also recognized that you climbed for a period of 9 years where your max was V9?

Do your really think that the forementioned base of training for climbing didn't strengthen your body against injury, and put you in a place to push yourself to the next level? You spent years creating muscle memory, training recruitment for specific muscle groups, building otherwise unused muscle... and then you tell people anyone can do it in 5 years.

It seems deluded.

Although, this is a case where I'd like to be wrong.

I started climbing right when I turned 17. I did my first v10 at 21, at 22 i had done a dozen v10's and a dozen v9's outside.

At 23 I got a horrid injury because I was power crimping to much and apparently I'm not a mutant like alot of my friends. I took a couple years off, my finger hurt just walking around during this time. I climbed infrequently from about 25-28, never harder than v8 and a few select v9's. At 28 I took it serious for a bit and did one v10, my finger started hurting a bit, I didn't want to have to take a bunch of time off again, so I started tuning it down again. 6 month's ago I started tuning it up again. About 4 months ago, i started the process of cutting 20 lbs from 176 to 156 so far and developing power training/climbing strategies that wouldn't hurt my fingers. I'm better than I've ever been and still on a huge upswing. I assume since most of us aren't mutants, this type of training will become prevalent in the future as a way to safely power train without getting hurt for mutants and non mutants.

My plan is to get to 153ish then stop dieting. The power training described in this thread is priceless if your goal is to get stronger and your worried about getting injured in the process. It's simply the best way I've found to do so. Try it and you will see. I'm working on building a garage wall that will allow me to do the same workout but on a horizontal roof on pinches.

Hopefully that clears that up for you.

While I generally don't care what other people climb, I think as soon as someone offers advice, and uses their achievements as a reason or foundation for being listened to, they ought to be more transparent and forthcoming about those achievements...

Have you considered letting the skeptics, myself included, know what v10s, 11s, or 12s you've done?

Or are you going to keep dodging those questions?


enigma


Apr 28, 2011, 6:13 PM
Post #70 of 75 (1808 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 19, 2002
Posts: 2279

Re: [bennydh] v9-v12 in 3 months, my power training. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

bennydh wrote:
flesh wrote:
bennydh wrote:
Based on personal experience, I'm going to disagree with the V10 estimate.

If we are talking about getting more than a handful of V10 under ones belt, spread from climbing destination to climbing destination, and not just the worlds softest 1 move wonder type of v10, then the concept is even more fantastical IMO.

You've guessed that Anyone can tick V10 in 5 years following your advice, but you've also recognized that you climbed for a period of 9 years where your max was V9?

Do your really think that the forementioned base of training for climbing didn't strengthen your body against injury, and put you in a place to push yourself to the next level? You spent years creating muscle memory, training recruitment for specific muscle groups, building otherwise unused muscle... and then you tell people anyone can do it in 5 years.

It seems deluded.

Although, this is a case where I'd like to be wrong.

I started climbing right when I turned 17. I did my first v10 at 21, at 22 i had done a dozen v10's and a dozen v9's outside.

At 23 I got a horrid injury because I was power crimping to much and apparently I'm not a mutant like alot of my friends. I took a couple years off, my finger hurt just walking around during this time. I climbed infrequently from about 25-28, never harder than v8 and a few select v9's. At 28 I took it serious for a bit and did one v10, my finger started hurting a bit, I didn't want to have to take a bunch of time off again, so I started tuning it down again. 6 month's ago I started tuning it up again. About 4 months ago, i started the process of cutting 20 lbs from 176 to 156 so far and developing power training/climbing strategies that wouldn't hurt my fingers. I'm better than I've ever been and still on a huge upswing. I assume since most of us aren't mutants, this type of training will become prevalent in the future as a way to safely power train without getting hurt for mutants and non mutants.

My plan is to get to 153ish then stop dieting. The power training described in this thread is priceless if your goal is to get stronger and your worried about getting injured in the process. It's simply the best way I've found to do so. Try it and you will see. I'm working on building a garage wall that will allow me to do the same workout but on a horizontal roof on pinches.

Hopefully that clears that up for you.

While I generally don't care what other people climb, I think as soon as someone offers advice, and uses their achievements as a reason or foundation for being listened to, they ought to be more transparent and forthcoming about those achievements...

Have you considered letting the skeptics, myself included, know what v10s, 11s, or 12s you've done?

Or are you going to keep dodging those questions?


Flesh you deleted all your posts with a thread with so many responses, Why? Crazy
Where are the photos /videos of your bouldering v10's , v11's, v12's?
Do you think everyone will forget on rockclimbing.com?


curt


Apr 28, 2011, 7:21 PM
Post #71 of 75 (1791 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 26, 2002
Posts: 18228

Re: [enigma] v9-v12 in 3 months, my power training. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
bennydh wrote:
flesh wrote:
bennydh wrote:
Based on personal experience, I'm going to disagree with the V10 estimate.

If we are talking about getting more than a handful of V10 under ones belt, spread from climbing destination to climbing destination, and not just the worlds softest 1 move wonder type of v10, then the concept is even more fantastical IMO.

You've guessed that Anyone can tick V10 in 5 years following your advice, but you've also recognized that you climbed for a period of 9 years where your max was V9?

Do your really think that the forementioned base of training for climbing didn't strengthen your body against injury, and put you in a place to push yourself to the next level? You spent years creating muscle memory, training recruitment for specific muscle groups, building otherwise unused muscle... and then you tell people anyone can do it in 5 years.

It seems deluded.

Although, this is a case where I'd like to be wrong.

I started climbing right when I turned 17. I did my first v10 at 21, at 22 i had done a dozen v10's and a dozen v9's outside.

At 23 I got a horrid injury because I was power crimping to much and apparently I'm not a mutant like alot of my friends. I took a couple years off, my finger hurt just walking around during this time. I climbed infrequently from about 25-28, never harder than v8 and a few select v9's. At 28 I took it serious for a bit and did one v10, my finger started hurting a bit, I didn't want to have to take a bunch of time off again, so I started tuning it down again. 6 month's ago I started tuning it up again. About 4 months ago, i started the process of cutting 20 lbs from 176 to 156 so far and developing power training/climbing strategies that wouldn't hurt my fingers. I'm better than I've ever been and still on a huge upswing. I assume since most of us aren't mutants, this type of training will become prevalent in the future as a way to safely power train without getting hurt for mutants and non mutants.

My plan is to get to 153ish then stop dieting. The power training described in this thread is priceless if your goal is to get stronger and your worried about getting injured in the process. It's simply the best way I've found to do so. Try it and you will see. I'm working on building a garage wall that will allow me to do the same workout but on a horizontal roof on pinches.

Hopefully that clears that up for you.

While I generally don't care what other people climb, I think as soon as someone offers advice, and uses their achievements as a reason or foundation for being listened to, they ought to be more transparent and forthcoming about those achievements...

Have you considered letting the skeptics, myself included, know what v10s, 11s, or 12s you've done?

Or are you going to keep dodging those questions?


Flesh you deleted all your posts with a thread with so many responses, Why? Crazy
Where are the photos /videos of your bouldering v10's , v11's, v12's?
Do you think everyone will forget on rockclimbing.com?

...asks the 5.6 n00b.

Curt


climber49er


Apr 29, 2011, 1:32 PM
Post #72 of 75 (1711 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 7, 2003
Posts: 1400

Re: [curt] v9-v12 in 3 months, my power training. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Been away for quite some time. Glad to know this place is still weird.


erisspirit


Apr 29, 2011, 2:14 PM
Post #73 of 75 (1692 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 14, 2004
Posts: 3756

Re: [climber49er] v9-v12 in 3 months, my power training. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

climber49er wrote:
Been away for quite some time. Glad to know this place is still weird.


I resemble that remark


Toast_in_the_Machine


Apr 29, 2011, 2:25 PM
Post #74 of 75 (1688 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 11, 2008
Posts: 5184

Re: [curt] v9-v12 in 3 months, my power training. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

curt wrote:
flesh wrote:
...I started climbing right when I turned 17. I did my first v10 at 21, at 22 i had done a dozen v10's and a dozen v9's outside...

I'm pretty sure I did my first consensus V10 at age 43--after climbing 20 years. Go figure.

Curt

Proof you had the genetics in you all along.


enigma


Apr 29, 2011, 4:03 PM
Post #75 of 75 (1666 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 19, 2002
Posts: 2279

Re: [curt] v9-v12 in 3 months, my power training. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

curt wrote:
enigma wrote:
bennydh wrote:
flesh wrote:
bennydh wrote:
Based on personal experience, I'm going to disagree with the V10 estimate.

If we are talking about getting more than a handful of V10 under ones belt, spread from climbing destination to climbing destination, and not just the worlds softest 1 move wonder type of v10, then the concept is even more fantastical IMO.

You've guessed that Anyone can tick V10 in 5 years following your advice, but you've also recognized that you climbed for a period of 9 years where your max was V9?

Do your really think that the forementioned base of training for climbing didn't strengthen your body against injury, and put you in a place to push yourself to the next level? You spent years creating muscle memory, training recruitment for specific muscle groups, building otherwise unused muscle... and then you tell people anyone can do it in 5 years.

It seems deluded.

Although, this is a case where I'd like to be wrong.

I started climbing right when I turned 17. I did my first v10 at 21, at 22 i had done a dozen v10's and a dozen v9's outside.

At 23 I got a horrid injury because I was power crimping to much and apparently I'm not a mutant like alot of my friends. I took a couple years off, my finger hurt just walking around during this time. I climbed infrequently from about 25-28, never harder than v8 and a few select v9's. At 28 I took it serious for a bit and did one v10, my finger started hurting a bit, I didn't want to have to take a bunch of time off again, so I started tuning it down again. 6 month's ago I started tuning it up again. About 4 months ago, i started the process of cutting 20 lbs from 176 to 156 so far and developing power training/climbing strategies that wouldn't hurt my fingers. I'm better than I've ever been and still on a huge upswing. I assume since most of us aren't mutants, this type of training will become prevalent in the future as a way to safely power train without getting hurt for mutants and non mutants.

My plan is to get to 153ish then stop dieting. The power training described in this thread is priceless if your goal is to get stronger and your worried about getting injured in the process. It's simply the best way I've found to do so. Try it and you will see. I'm working on building a garage wall that will allow me to do the same workout but on a horizontal roof on pinches.

Hopefully that clears that up for you.

While I generally don't care what other people climb, I think as soon as someone offers advice, and uses their achievements as a reason or foundation for being listened to, they ought to be more transparent and forthcoming about those achievements...

Have you considered letting the skeptics, myself included, know what v10s, 11s, or 12s you've done?

Or are you going to keep dodging those questions?


Flesh you deleted all your posts with a thread with so many responses, Why? Crazy
Where are the photos /videos of your bouldering v10's , v11's, v12's?
Do you think everyone will forget on rockclimbing.com?

...asks the 5.6 n00b.

Curt

Laugh


Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook