Forums: Climbing Partners: US - East Coast:
NY Climbers Thread
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - East Coast

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 28 Next page Last page  View All

climbingbetty22

Jun 29, 2005, 10:42 PM
Post #176 of 700 (52799 views)
Shortcut

Re: NY Climbers Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Nope, no climbing shoe smell...just some solid dirtbaggin' tradster BO, and for you Dirt, a couple more birthdays will help too :wink:

Yo CO, doooooode I just about fell out of my chair laughing at you sig. :lol: Chronic Master Beta- LMFAO!

teti

Jun 29, 2005, 11:33 PM
Post #177 of 700 (52799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Drinking, climbing, climbing, drinking. I need to hang out w/ you guys/gals!

Mike.

capn_morgan

Jul 1, 2005, 2:10 PM
Post #178 of 700 (52799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Anyone looking for climbing partners for the weekend? I may be down in the gunks tommorow, but I am open to other suggestions. I would love to spend the weekend in the daks. Ill be at work all day so im me or email me. Ill drive anywhere within a few hours of albany, I have ropes/rack/car/cooler for beer. Prefer to avoid the crowds but I know enough out of the way places that it shouldnt be difficult.

wawona

Jul 1, 2005, 10:38 PM
Post #179 of 700 (52799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

its a shame that this dirt bagger (me) couldn't make it and hang with the D and C and everyone else, but prob for the best some west coast stlye up there would make you cry in shame(D&C)..

for the boys i can't make it this weekend get leave on the ninth till the seventh so give me a call.

climbingbetty give those two love struck idiots D-C a good ripper for me, so they come back to reality.

Partner wormly81

Jul 2, 2005, 2:16 AM
Post #180 of 700 (52799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Anyone know what happened at the preserve today that brought the Gardiner first aid squad?

Hope everyone is ok.

Jeff

climbingbetty22

Jul 2, 2005, 5:11 AM
Post #181 of 700 (52799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
its a shame that this dirt bagger (me) couldn't make it and hang with the D and C and everyone else, but prob for the best some west coast stlye up there would make you cry in shame(D&C)..

for the boys i can't make it this weekend get leave on the ninth till the seventh so give me a call.

climbingbetty give those two love struck idiots D-C a good ripper for me, so they come back to reality.

Wait, Giz? Are you not going to be there???? :shock:

Partner taino

Jul 5, 2005, 3:01 PM
Post #182 of 700 (52799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Anyone know what happened at the preserve today that brought the Gardiner first aid squad?

Hope everyone is ok.

Jeff

I've heard rumors of a rappeling accident, involving a substantial fall. No further information has been uncovered.

Edited to include this link:

http://www.gunks.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=1,2,3,4,5&Board=general&Number=127508&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#Post127539

Ouch.

T

Partner happiegrrrl

Jul 5, 2005, 3:51 PM
Post #183 of 700 (52799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was up to the Trapps on Saturday and saw the ranger with the litter ready to go into storage again too.....We didn't ask what had happened, but it was certainly a reminder to me - the best climber may be the one having the most fun(that would be me, in case there might be any doubt....), but it's a serious business, this fun we get to have.

I got to climb with the our illustrious most disrespected rc.com user again, and had a very nice day. But then I had to work on Sunday and Monday....

And tomorrow night, I am headed down south for a week. Let's hope it's not too horribly hot...... anyway - I notice this guy "Beardy" from the UK posted for a partner. I saw his post a while back on climbnyc; suggested he might have some luck by posting here...... By my guess, this person would definitely do well as an exchange partner for the Gunks. Someone should show him around. Hope one of you kind folks will get in touch with him.

all_that_is_rock

Jul 5, 2005, 6:40 PM
Post #184 of 700 (52799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what a weekend!! it was suprisingly temperate for july in the north east. got to do a linkup I've been meaning to do for a while now, and got to climb in some good company.......happiegirl, was that you that was with Rich at the deli?

Partner happiegrrrl

Jul 5, 2005, 7:12 PM
Post #185 of 700 (52799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, it was me.

jackflash

Jul 5, 2005, 8:25 PM
Post #186 of 700 (52799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had a long weekend that started on Thursday. We did some moderate stuff at the Gunks, and then I led a route harder than anything else I've done there. I spent forever testing holds at the crux before committing to the sequence, and nearly fell off twice before getting through it. Unfortunately the elation was short-lived, as my partner hurt her ankle when she tried doing Absurdland.

The rest of the weekend was spent in the Adirondacks--my first time there. I'd been invited to hike with some friends, so I didn't climb at all. I'm not a big hiker and found it very strange that everyone we met was instantly talking about how many of the "high" peaks they had bagged. It was worse spray than most climbers dish out. Number-chasing of a different kind I guess...

*Edit for spelling

climbingbetty22

Jul 5, 2005, 9:30 PM
Post #187 of 700 (52799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, I was a total Daks virgin until this weekend as well. Ran up there Sunday night after I got off work. Bivied at the King Wall, climbed the ultra-classic and very fun Pete's Farewell and a couple other things. I noticed the peak bagging mentality as well. I was telling one of my climbing partners that it reminded me of when I worked near Rocky Mountain National Park. Hikers would get obsessed with hiking certain trails and peaks just to get a little patch with the name of the trail or peak on it. They'd stitch it on their pack like a little merit badge or somethin'. Oh well, whatever makes you happy right?

What did you lead?

all_that_is_rock

Jul 5, 2005, 9:59 PM
Post #188 of 700 (52799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cool happiegirl. so you got to watch him flail on P-38? he told me the tails, but I'm sorry I missed it.

jackflash

Jul 5, 2005, 10:08 PM
Post #189 of 700 (52799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I led Never Never Land.

Pete's Farewell is on my list of Daks climbs to do, but I've been dreaming of a Wallface trip since last fall. The plans are made: 24 days and counting.

Partner happiegrrrl

Jul 6, 2005, 12:14 AM
Post #190 of 700 (52799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know if "flail" is the right word.....that one sort of has a connotation of someone making an attempt at something so far beyond the realm of possibility that it's comical..... Now, if it was me trying to get a foot up onto that climb; that I would consider flailing....

But yes, I did get to see him work on it, and I learned a bit by doing so, because I tend to give up too easily. It was cool watching someone really committing, and forcing their concentration to hold them into the rock when their body is trying to butter off. Let's see if I can apply the principals while I'm down climbing with dirtineye this week.......

beardy

Jul 6, 2005, 7:31 AM
Post #191 of 700 (52799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Still looking for a partner for this weekend? outdoors, indoors i don't care!

gunkjunkie

Jul 6, 2005, 9:21 PM
Post #192 of 700 (52799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The girl who had the rappeling accident on 7/1 is ok! :D The following is her post from gunks.com. She's very lucky!!!

In reply to:
Hi. I'm Laura, I'm 15, and... yeah, I had a bit of an accident on Friday on Frogs Head.

Basically, I woke up in the hospital Saturday afternoon. I had no idea what happened, but my mental state was good. I stayed concious for about an hour and fell asleep again. By being explained what happened a few times, I'm pretty sure I now understand:
I was rapelling down on a rope set up by two people (we were all together) who had gone down beforehand. I was at the top of the second pitch with the understanding that a rappel was set up to go down to the top of the first pitch. HOWEVER, the people who had gone down before, after rapelling down the second pitch, had pulled one end of the rope down to hit the ground and tied it off to rapell off one rope. They had tried to communicate this to the partner I was with (he was much much more experienced than me, sort of acting as a guide), but there was a BIG communication problem.
I'm not sure I can explain clearly what happened then. I started rapelling off the two ropes until one side ended, and then I fell. I basically freefell about 25 feet until I hit the ledge at the top of the first pitch, and I rolled and tumbled and kept going down until the knot caught. My partner tried to slow down the rope with his bare hands, obviously to no avail. I was twisted in ropes and bounced around a little. My partner rappelled down and somehow got me safely to the ground.

I went to the hospital, was in a coma, and basically had a VERY VERY fast recovery. I am home now with a fractured kneecap and some nerve problems in my right arm. I was ridiculously lucky; I could have died.

I don't blame the people I climbed with; everyone makes mistakes. Thank you all for your positive thoughts.

Laura

Deirdre

all_that_is_rock

Jul 6, 2005, 10:10 PM
Post #193 of 700 (52799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thats EXTREAMLY lucky. Glad she came out with only "minor" injury. Hope she has a quick recovery........ on a lighter note: Reverand Doobie, Chris, Christa I will see you all friday. I will bring some "comunion" if ya know what I mean. Cheers, Dirt

climbingbetty22

Jul 6, 2005, 11:52 PM
Post #194 of 700 (52799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alright Dirt, You take care of the 'Wafers' and I'll bring the Communion wine. Reverend Doobie can bless it and we'll take part in the most holy of climber sacraments! :D

Partner cracklover

Jul 7, 2005, 4:19 AM
Post #195 of 700 (52799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
thats EXTREAMLY lucky. Glad she came out with only "minor" injury. Hope she has a quick recovery........ on a lighter note: Reverand Doobie, Chris, Christa I will see you all friday. I will bring some "comunion" if ya know what I mean. Cheers, Dirt

I'll see ya there too. Should be fun!

GO

lockeyaaron

Jul 7, 2005, 9:39 AM
Post #196 of 700 (52799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

BEWARE!!!!! The D&C crew will be in the Gunks in mass this weekend. We will be there in the usual spot on friday evening possibly not till late evening bc one memeber has to work late on friday. But we will be there, if you can't find us at camp just leave a note at the message board for "D&C", we will find you. See y'all there.

Rev. Doobs

freeskicolorado

Jul 7, 2005, 4:13 PM
Post #197 of 700 (52799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I may in fact even make an appearance this weekend, though I'll be doing the dreaded TR thing at Peter's Kill ::hangs head in shame::. My excuse is my climbing partner is a newbie (me too, but he's even newer than me). Still firming up plans... but I think it's gonna happen. Might be at multi-abuse with you guys, might be staying with a buddy, we'll see.

YoCO

Edited once because I can't type.

Partner taino

Jul 7, 2005, 4:18 PM
Post #198 of 700 (52799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nothing wrong with TRing at Peterskill, especially when bad weather threatens. Just watch out for the chiggers; little fuckers got me last weekend, big time.

Have fun!

T

kimmyt

Jul 7, 2005, 4:30 PM
Post #199 of 700 (52799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

all this rain is making kimmy go craaaaaaazy

wawona

Jul 7, 2005, 5:06 PM
Post #200 of 700 (52799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i can't seem to get ahold of the rev. doobs or that other hippie C. for directions to services on the rock for this weekend, if any one can help that would be outstanding....

First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 28 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook