The S&P 500 and the Nasdaq Composite have both made new four year highs. :D

nthusiastj

Jul 20, 2005, 7:47 PM
Post #2 of 287 (3841 views)
Shortcut

Re: Yea U.S. Economy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So does that mean that they are about 50% of what they were 5 years ago?

zozo

Jul 20, 2005, 7:48 PM
Post #3 of 287 (3841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Thats called a success by current administration standards.

Partner taualum23

Jul 20, 2005, 7:58 PM
Post #4 of 287 (3841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://finance.yahoo.com/...t=5y&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=

http://finance.yahoo.com/...t=5y&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=

As you can see, the Nasdaq is still quite a way below it's high. The tech bubble burst, and that is going to take some time to fight back from.

The Dow, on the other hand, is not terribly far from where it was.

thorne
Deleted

Jul 20, 2005, 8:06 PM
Post #5 of 287 (3841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

The S&P 500 has rallied about 60% off its October 2002 lows. It's about 20% off its all time highs.

The Nasdaq is closer to 1/3 of its 2000 highs. In case you didn't already know it, the Nasdaq rally of the late '90s was the ultimate ponzi scheme of all time.

caughtinside

Jul 20, 2005, 8:23 PM
Post #6 of 287 (3841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Speaking of which, my roommate told me about a new ponzi scheme that nearly victimized his cousin. You pay money to be a 'travel agent.' When you sign up X number of friends, you get the big payout.

It also requires you to pay a monthly fee until you get the payout, like $50 a month. In exchange, you get 'travel agent discounts' on flights/cars/hotels.

There was a big ponzi scheme called 'women helping women' out here in Sacramento a couple years ago, and there was one going on in college when I was at Boulder.

The oldest schemes seem to be the best schemes!

bobd1953

Jul 20, 2005, 9:32 PM
Post #7 of 287 (3841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So how does that help the average American?

Maybe the companies and investors making money on the stock market will help pay-off the huge debt (personal and federal) that is facing this country? :o

From MW Hodges: But, in the last several decades total debt has zoomed up, up and away - - growing much faster than national income. It has now reached $40.1 Trillion ($30.8 trillion private household/business/financial sector debt PLUS $9.3 trillion federal, state and local government debt). Here's some highlights:

Last year's total debt of $40.1 Trillion was 9 times higher than the $4.6 Trillion debt in 1957 (both measured in inflation-adjusted 2004 dollars).
Last year's total debt increased $3 trillion (up 8.2%). Federal government debt (incl. added debt owed trust funds) increased $595 billion (8.5%), household debt increased $1.03 Trillion (up 11.2%), business debt increased $421 billion (6%), state & local government debt increased $116 billion (up 7.4%), domestic financial sector debt increased $714 billion (7.3%), and other foreign debt was up 10%.
Last year's total debt per person was $136,479 (up $7,900 over last year's $128,560); this compares to $27,084 in 1957 (both measured in inflation-adjusted 2004 dollars). That's a debt excess of $109,395 per man, woman and child.

traddad

Jul 20, 2005, 10:18 PM
Post #8 of 287 (3841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea economy! I haven't gotten a raise in 5 years (thanks to our repugnican legislature), my property taxes just went up another $100 per month due to the "housing bubble" and gas is 40 cents per gallon more than it was this time last year....and I drive 100 miles per day.

Yea economy. Go. Rah. Only the rich fucks are doing well.

At least there's Two Buck Chuck.

bobd1953

Jul 20, 2005, 10:35 PM
Post #9 of 287 (3841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The rich are getting richer, the middle class is getting wipe out, personal debt is at a all time high and personal savings at a all-time low.

WTF are talking about.

cloudbreak

Jul 20, 2005, 11:27 PM
Post #10 of 287 (3841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
....personal debt is at a all time high and personal savings at a all-time low.

That can also be attributed to stupidity!

traddad

Jul 20, 2005, 11:47 PM
Post #11 of 287 (3841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Or unaffordable housing prices. I pitty any middle class Joe (or Josephine) who didn't get in on the front side of the bubble. If I were to buy a house today I couldn't afford it. The appraiser just left 5 min. ago. and the value of my house increased 100% over the last two years. Good investment, but it also means my taxes keep going up on what our republican legislature wants to essentially be a fixed income.
We don't own a plasma TV. No pool, no jacuzzi, no boat, 20 year old stereo.... I drive a 16 year old car. My daughter wears her cousin's hand-me-downs. Our bed still sits on the floor because I can't afford the lumber to build the frame (OK, OK...so I want quarter sawn oak...) Hey, my wife's a college prof and I'm an ecologist....we should be doing better.
I hear Ken Ley's not doing well, either.

Partner one900johnnyk

Jul 21, 2005, 1:39 AM
Post #12 of 287 (3841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah awesome rebound at the end there but i'm not happy unless the long end of the curve is rising.. speaking of the us economy, that is some potentially scary shit, man

Partner one900johnnyk

Jul 21, 2005, 1:42 AM
Post #13 of 287 (3841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Or unaffordable housing prices. I pitty any middle class Joe (or Josephine) who didn't get in on the front side of the bubble. If I were to buy a house today I couldn't afford it. The appraiser just left 5 min. ago. and the value of my house increased 100% over the last two years. Good investment, but it also means my taxes keep going up on what our republican legislature wants to essentially be a fixed income.
We don't own a plasma TV. No pool, no jacuzzi, no boat, 20 year old stereo.... I drive a 16 year old car. My daughter wears her cousin's hand-me-downs. Our bed still sits on the floor because I can't afford the lumber to build the frame (OK, OK...so I want quarter sawn oak...) Hey, my wife's a college prof and I'm an ecologist....we should be doing better.
as "affordability" measures go, the housing market does not look so frothy. homes are relatively pretty affordable these days..... of course, housing always looks really affordable before a collapse.. and for what it's worth a lot of the appreciation is localized. many counties here in atlanta have experience flat home prices for a while now

reno

Jul 21, 2005, 1:42 AM
Post #14 of 287 (3841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Oh, no... we can't do that. To say so would imply that people should be accountable for their own actions and that just won't do.

[/sarcasm]

curt

Jul 21, 2005, 2:39 AM
Post #15 of 287 (3841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Yeah, but Ken Lay (like Bernie Ebbers) will likely get a nice bed provided him by taxpayers. :lol:

Curt

thorne
Deleted

Jul 21, 2005, 11:56 AM
Post #16 of 287 (3841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So how does that help the average American?

Maybe the companies and investors making money on the stock market will help pay-off the huge debt (personal and federal) that is facing this country? :o

From MW Hodges: But, in the last several decades total debt has zoomed up, up and away - - growing much faster than national income. It has now reached $40.1 Trillion ($30.8 trillion private household/business/financial sector debt PLUS $9.3 trillion federal, state and local government debt). Here's some highlights:

Last year's total debt of $40.1 Trillion was 9 times higher than the $4.6 Trillion debt in 1957 (both measured in inflation-adjusted 2004 dollars).
Last year's total debt increased $3 trillion (up 8.2%). Federal government debt (incl. added debt owed trust funds) increased $595 billion (8.5%), household debt increased $1.03 Trillion (up 11.2%), business debt increased $421 billion (6%), state & local government debt increased $116 billion (up 7.4%), domestic financial sector debt increased $714 billion (7.3%), and other foreign debt was up 10%.
Last year's total debt per person was $136,479 (up $7,900 over last year's $128,560); this compares to $27,084 in 1957 (both measured in inflation-adjusted 2004 dollars). That's a debt excess of $109,395 per man, woman and child.

Them's some big ol' numbers you got there, Bob. Do you have any idea what they mean?

Flaming aside, I'm amazed at how widespread the mindset of victimology has gotten in this country. I start a post that basically says "our economy is doing well and I think that's a good thing", and a bunch of you just want to whine about how you're getting screwed, that this is beneficial only to the wealthy, that we're on a sinking ship.... boo hoo hoo :cry: :cry: :cry:

If you can take your blinders off you might see that America is still the land of opportunity. It's what you make of it. :wink:

Partner tradman

Jul 21, 2005, 12:42 PM
Post #17 of 287 (3841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If you can take your blinders off you might see that America is still the land of opportunity. It's what you make of it.

Actually america is one of the least socially mobile countries in the first world (the most socially mobile is France) - social mobility being the indicator of people's opportunities to accumultae wealth and ststus realtive to their roots.

The average amercian's quality of life, whether or not they can change it, is still a shitload better than almost anywhere else though.

bobd1953

Jul 21, 2005, 2:51 PM
Post #18 of 287 (3841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Them's some big ol' numbers you got there, Bob. Do you have any idea what they mean?

Pretty easy to understand, even for you. I see by using "big ol" you are showing your social background.

Flaming aside, I'm amazed at how widespread the mindset of victimology has gotten in this country. I start a post that basically says "our economy is doing well and I think that's a good thing", and a bunch of you just want to whine about how you're getting screwed, that this is beneficial only to the wealthy, that we're on a sinking ship.... boo hoo hoo.

I am not a victim or do I feel like one. I have a great family and live the life I want to live. I travel outside of the country a fair amount and tend to think more global than most people on this site...especially the right-wingers who think "the world revolves America". America is sinking in a lot of ways. Our failing education system, lack of national health care system, the huge separation of the classes and an almost unpayable debt (personal and federal) will be the downfall of this nation.

If you can take your blinders off you might see that America is still the land of opportunity. It's what you make of it.

Take your own advice on this one. Pull your fecking head out of the sand.

thorne
Deleted

Jul 21, 2005, 3:11 PM
Post #19 of 287 (3841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Pretty easy to understand, even for you. I see by using "big ol" you are showing your social background.

No chance of putting one over on you.

In reply to:
I travel outside of the country a fair amount and tend to think more global than most people on this site...especially the right-wingers who think "the world revolves America".

I think your confusing this sentiment with one of "act in America's best interests".

In reply to:
America is sinking in a lot of ways.... lack of national health care system.... and an almost unpayable debt (personal and federal) will be the downfall of this nation.

How would a national health care system affect federal costs?

bobd1953

Jul 21, 2005, 3:19 PM
Post #20 of 287 (3841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
How would a national health care system affect federal costs?

How does not having one effect costs/productivity on a national level??

thorne
Deleted

Jul 21, 2005, 3:23 PM
Post #21 of 287 (3841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice dodge. :wink:

You previously quote MW Hodges, regarding government debt. Have you actually checked out his site? Good stuff!!! He says two initiatives are responsible for the era of big government - The New Deal and The Great Society.

He has some choice words on national healthcare.

Partner tradman

Jul 21, 2005, 3:27 PM
Post #22 of 287 (3841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, here's a bit of news for the economy. China's revalued its currency by 2.2%

Should slow down their exports and boost domestic production in the US and other countries huh?

What do you guys think? (oh and if you think this is off-topic just say and I'll start a new thread).

reno

Jul 21, 2005, 3:38 PM
Post #23 of 287 (3841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I am not a victim or do I feel like one. I have a great family and live the life I want to live. I travel outside of the country a fair amount and tend to think more global than most people on this site...especially the right-wingers who think "the world revolves America". America is sinking in a lot of ways. Our failing education system, lack of national health care system, the huge separation of the classes and an almost unpayable debt (personal and federal) will be the downfall of this nation.

Random thoughts....

~ Not all right wingers think the world revolves around America.

~ You don't want National Healthcare, trust me. It's not working for anyone else, and there's nothing our government does efficiently now, so why should we trust them with making our healthcare decisions for us?

~ You think providing "free" healthcare to everyone will improve our debt?

~ Seperation of classes... why is this a bad thing? Why is it so bad to reward those that work harder than the next guy?

Partner tradman

Jul 21, 2005, 3:50 PM
Post #24 of 287 (3841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You don't want National Healthcare, trust me. It's not working for anyone else,

It's working pretty well for britain, reno.

bobd1953

Jul 21, 2005, 4:11 PM
Post #25 of 287 (3841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Random thoughts....

~ Not all right wingers think the world revolves around America.

I didn't say all!

~ You don't want National Healthcare, trust me. It's not working for anyone else, and there's nothing our government does efficiently now, so why should we trust them with making our healthcare decisions for us?

Yes it is. We are the only "first world country without it".

~You think providing "free" healthcare to everyone will improve our debt?

Nothing is free. i pay taxes and a fair amount. I rather see my taxes go to healthcare and education than to Haliburton and lobbyists in DC.

~ Seperation of classes... why is this a bad thing? Why is it so bad to reward those that work harder than the next guy?

That the problem Reno...the rich are getting richer by stealing and not working harder.

We lose the middle class (blue collar) in the country and we are toast.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook