RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

fisaacs

Aug 10, 2002, 3:43 PM
Post #1 of 21 (3121 views)
Shortcut

self-teaching vs being trained
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm extremely new to climbing but very interested in improving my abilities.

What I would like to know is how do you really learn climbing? How much of it can you get with just you and a rock, how much requires other people teaching you, and are there resources out there for people who want to learn on their own with more than just the trial-and error of climbing.

jansuw

Aug 10, 2002, 4:09 PM
Post #2 of 21 (3121 views)
Shortcut

self-teaching vs being trained [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I doubt theres anything wise about trial and error in climbing, just take a beginners class or climb with a very experienced climber. It would suck to die the first time you go climbing

danyelle

Aug 10, 2002, 4:16 PM
Post #3 of 21 (3121 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Most everyone I know has been primarily self taught or learned from an experienced friend. There are lots of books, videos, etc, however the service of a good instructor is invaluable. There are lots of guiding services and schools avail for all levels and even one-to-one.

If you have the time I would recommend forking out the dough for a good class or two and then supplement your learning with the materials avail. Eric Horst has written many books on the subject that can take you through the very basics all the way to the difficulties of climbing 5.12.

If you want a great guide or school I can suggest a few. If you have a several weeks to vacation NOLS.com (national outdoor leadership school) is your very best option. If you just have a weekend or two (like most of us) I recommend SRMG (Seneca Rocks Mountain Guides) @ senecarocks.com and
JHMG.com (Jackson Hole Mountain Guides).

Both guiding services offer guiding at thier home base locales as well as travel abroad. I have personally met and climbed with some of the guides from SRMG and I assure you they are nothing short of top knotch!

Either route you choose, be safe, have common sense and most of all have fun!

jman

Aug 10, 2002, 4:20 PM
Post #4 of 21 (3121 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Part of learning new climbing skills and techniquest is trial and error when figuring out how to exactly do a move. As you'll see with more experience, different people have different styles based on their body type and shape, their strengths and weaknesses, and what they feel comfortable doing. It takes some trial and error to develop a climbing style and technique that you're comfortable with.

I'd say take a beginners movement class or watch experienced climbers climb. Watch how they position their body and how they keep their weight of their feet instead of pumping out their arms.

Have fun trying and learning.

danyelle

Aug 10, 2002, 4:25 PM
Post #5 of 21 (3121 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Most everyone I know has been primarily self taught or learned from an experienced friend. There are lots of books, videos, etc, however the service of a good instructor is invaluable. There are lots of guiding services and schools avail for all levels and even one-to-one.

If you have the time I would recommend forking out the dough for a good class or two and then supplement your learning with the materials avail. Eric Horst has written many books on the subject that can take you through the very basics all the way to the difficulties of climbing 5.12.

If you want a great guide or school I can suggest a few. If you have a several weeks to vacation NOLS.com (national outdoor leadership school) is your very best option. If you just have a weekend or two (like most of us) I recommend SRMG (Seneca Rocks Mountain Guides) @ senecarocks.com and
JHMG.com (Jackson Hole Mountain Guides).

Both guiding services offer guiding at thier home base locales as well as travel abroad. I have personally met and climbed with some of the guides from SRMG and I assure you they are nothing short of top knotch!

Either route you choose, be safe, have common sense and most of all have fun!

wildtrail

Aug 10, 2002, 4:33 PM
Post #6 of 21 (3121 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No doubt about it. Get trained!

I'm self-taught and I could have benefitted from proper training years ago. Not only did it take me longer to "get things down", but I also recognize that in the past I was in danger at times when I think about it. I have more than enough experience now, after seven or eight years, but there are no two ways about it. Proper instruction is the right way, whether it be a certified guide (highly suggested) or a very experienced climber.

Steve

overlord

Aug 13, 2002, 7:32 PM
Post #7 of 21 (3121 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yes, GET TRAINED!!! or you will hinder your progress by repeating your errors and no improvin tha things you should.

CLIMB ON

metoliusmunchkin

Aug 13, 2002, 8:56 PM
Post #8 of 21 (3121 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would assume that the best way to improve you climbing is to get trained. Now, the definition of 'trained,' what is it? Well, in my opinion there are two ways in which a climber can be trained. Either by seeking a professional and paying for their services (teachings), or, one can seek out an experienced climbing friend - which is not always available.

It is basically the lack of availability of such resources that cause most climbers to be self-taught. Personally, I am self-taught. Everything I know of climbing (well, most of it) was taught by myself.

sligoblues

Aug 13, 2002, 9:53 PM
Post #9 of 21 (3121 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Of course professional instruction has its merits. But I personally have found no lesson was learned as well as the self taught one. If you climbing in a safe environment and are just practicing technique, I'd say learning on you own is sometimes best. It's not the fastest way, but because you have to put yourself in so many positions before you find what works best, your musclem memory seems to get more focused. But don't ever be afraid to ask for help.
Enjoy!

marcel

Aug 13, 2002, 10:16 PM
Post #10 of 21 (3121 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Self taught and being taught both have there merits. And, I see there has already been a lot of good advice in this post, both ways. I think it’s a combination of both. The more technical any sport gets the more important it is for professional help learning the skill.

I’ll get off the subject here a bit. I’m an assistant PADI dive instructor with hundreds of dives. I’m extremely comfortable in all diving conditions, but when I decided to take up cave diving I knew I best get some professional advice and training. So, I paid the bucks to take as many classes as I could.

Now, I have not done any serious aid climbing in over 20 years, so if I decided I wanted to get into A5 you can bet your boots I’d get some onsite advice from the best. But, I’d also read as much as I could on the subject of aid climbing, and I wouldn’t be afraid to do some stuff on my own as long as it was safe.

If you can afford it take some classes, but always keep in mind that not all teachers know what they are doing either. That’s why it extra important to do your home work, read, and find out as much as you can about your instructor too.

[ This Message was edited by: marcel on 2002-08-13 15:24 ]

minos

Aug 13, 2002, 10:32 PM
Post #11 of 21 (3121 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's my two cents. When it comes to safety issues (ie setting an anchor, belaying, placing gear or quickdraws) pay the hundred bucks and don't kill yourself. As for climbing technique, find someone in your gym/crag that is "good", watch him/her, and steal everything you can. As you improve you'll start doing things that are more fluid for your body type, but in the beginning, watching an experienced climber and asking a question here and there is a good way to go. Like someone already said, you have to practice this stuff to get used to it. Just cause some guide tells you how to drop knee, or finger-lock, or whatever, doesn't mean you'll be able to do it right away.

climber_dude

Aug 14, 2002, 6:43 AM
Post #12 of 21 (3121 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i get taught by fellow climbers theyre a lot of help

evs786

Aug 19, 2002, 10:30 AM
Post #13 of 21 (3121 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I come from a family of primarily artists and Teachers. I am the only outdoors person in my gene pool. So, when I wanted to start climbing I read up A LOT before I even went to buy my first peice of gear. Barnes and Noble is great, Almost like a library, you can go read before you buy But anyway, all I have to say is do your homework and know fundamentals so If you do get some expert training things will go faster if you have a very basic knowledge of knots, anchors, ETC. Good luck!

threefox

Aug 19, 2002, 10:51 AM
Post #14 of 21 (3121 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I originally learned from the Teton Mountain Guide's in Wyoming (many years ago). However the name has probably been changed and my guess is they have become or are otherwise associated with Jackson Hole Mtn Guides.

I support being trained by a service or a very knowledgable Climber/Friend. That way you can learn the fundamentals such as knots, rope work, pro, safety, etc. From there it's all up to learn as you go. Like learning to drive...we all learned by watching or being shown but still learn each time we start the car.

Adam

climbingcowboy

Aug 19, 2002, 10:59 AM
Post #15 of 21 (3121 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm self taught mostly my brother started me and I took off from there, trad self taught, but I wish I hadnt wasted all that time trying to learn on my own and just asked for help. Like others said I didnt realize how many times Ive almost died.
Dont feel bad asking it's smarter. Hell I still need help Anyone want to help teach me aid and get me on a Big Wall, Ill buy the beer?

tygereye

Aug 19, 2002, 11:29 AM
Post #16 of 21 (3121 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I also taught myself and learnt with trial and error, but I would suggest go for 1 or 2 lessons just to help you get started. What I did was to watch experienced climbers closely and try to understand why they did certain stuff in certain ways. Also, never be afraid to ask questions; don't feel stupid if you don't know something. Eveybody had to learn it from SOMEWHERE.
Also get hod of books and watch some videos. Never be irresponsible!

bigga

Aug 19, 2002, 11:45 AM
Post #17 of 21 (3121 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have more or less the same problem as you.
My partneer and I have been climbing for about 7,8 months now, and my biggest problem is just that. We both have the same amount of experience. So for the most part we are learning tecnique for ourselves as we go along, and though lately our climbing has been improving alot, I am 100% convinced that with an experienced climber constantly helping, pointing out ways to improve, our climbing would be improving ten times faster. So, yes, self teaching will improve you but definitely not even close to having someone who knows better helping you out.
N.B. I am only refering to tecnique. NEVER try and figure out for yourself things that have to do with safety. Don't ever use trial and error for things like knots, belaying, clipping in etc. When I decided that I wanted to start climbing I spent four months reading ( there are tons of resources out there) about everything... all the knots, hot to clip in to quickdraws etc. Then I went to a climbing gym and made friends with an old hat climber and he showed me in practice all the stuff I had read about, then we organised to meet at the rock and he showed me there all the stuff again. Trust only the experts when it comes to safety, not yourself.
welcome tot he most addictive thing on the planet.

dantman

Aug 19, 2002, 11:45 AM
Post #18 of 21 (3121 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Trial and error.....scary to think of with the word climbing.
I would suggest reading some books. There is lots of good info out there. I would also strongly suggest climbing with experienced friends or hiring a guide.
Check out http://www.emsclimb.com/
Eastern Mountain Sports has a great guide service in a bunch of locations. Check out this link.

timhinck

Aug 19, 2002, 1:43 PM
Post #19 of 21 (3121 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I began climbing on my own or with a few novice friends. We didn't have any formal instruction. But I didn't really begin progressing until I discovered a climbing gym.

Climbing Gyms are probably one of the best new innovations in the climbing world. At my local gym I got to watch semi-professional climbers do their thing. I got to see what good technique is about... I learned the lingo and the tricks of the trade... I recieved invaluable encouragement from those guys... I learned about good footwork.

In short, find a gym. I think this is even prefferable to dragging an instructor outside with you. Here is the reason:

1. In a gym, you can witness several climbers with different styles and body sizes. No single instructor with one single style has it all.

2. In a gym you can observe these climbers climbing at their limit, working on their projects. This will allow you to understand how to train and improve.

3. In a gym, you will meet many climbers. Some of these folks will take you out and show you the ropes for free.

Find a gym and climb hard. I'm not saying this takes the place of outdoor climbing. I'm just saying that as a beginner, I found the gym to be invaluable. It is what helped me progress quickly.

tim

carnaged

Aug 19, 2002, 7:17 PM
Post #20 of 21 (3121 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

get someone expirienced. It helps -that way you wont slack off -

rock hard
kat

msecoda

Aug 19, 2002, 8:43 PM
Post #21 of 21 (3121 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I started out as a "self taught" climber. Although now I have been taught soooo many things from sooo many great climbers. THANKS TO ANYONE WHO HAS EVER TAKEN THE TIME OUT TO TEACH ME SOMETHING.

I like to learn things out of books, so I studied climbing and then went to do it. I have made a ton of huge mistakes along the way and my climbing has suffered for it.
No doubt in my mind that some instruction is required.

You can "self teach yourself" although it is not recommeded but you will be a far better climber for taking a couple of basic classes.

Climb safe

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook