Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Partner happiegrrrl

Apr 13, 2006, 3:48 PM
Post #76 of 120 (13781 views)
Shortcut

Re: Michael Reardon gets Golden Piton [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

There's an old saying...."Keep the focus on yourself." An amazingly powerful concept, when put into practice, that allows one to completely turn around their perception of themselves, and others, within this (appx) five dimensional world. For those with opinions they voice without the disclaimer of "I think"(for everyone is entitled to their opinion; it's when we speak as if we actually have any idea whatsoever on what the truth in life is, that we speak stupidly). I would like to suggest they try it as an experiment.

Same concept, different era - "take a look at yourself and you can look at others differently"(from a 70's folk song).

golsen

Apr 13, 2006, 4:03 PM
Post #77 of 120 (13781 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrl, how dare you try to infect this thread with reason! Apparently nobody knows here for sure whether Mr. Reardon did in fact climb what he said. In the old days we used to believe the climber unless there was very substantial evidence otherwise. That is my opinion. It really does not affect me and probably does not affect anyone else on this site whether he did or did not do what he said. It would seem that there are people on this site who just plain do not like the guy. Is this clouding their judgement because he does not meet their expectations?

whatever...

brogant

Apr 13, 2006, 6:29 PM
Post #78 of 120 (13781 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Michael responds:

"Hi Thomas,

Well well well. I leave the forums for the better part of two years and it looks like the haters remain the same. Apparently some kids want to keep crying because I chose to climb rather than get carpal tunnel. I could care less about what folks think about my climbing because dates, times, witnesses, videos, photos and friends like Bachar and the Outlaws apparently are not enough, but I have had enough of the lies about my business practice. Feel free to post as you see fit:

1. I'm not a lawyer and have never claimed to be one as anyone who has ever asked me personally knows. I went to Pepperdine Law School, graduated with a JD. My UCLA undergrad degree was in philosophy where I earned a scholarship from the Wasserman Foundation (Wasserman was the last of the major media moguls - see a connection here). I did NOT take the bar, never intended to. I wanted the law degree to continue making films. I got it, and continue to make films.
2. I owned a production company with two other partners called "Black Sky Entertainment". That production company made "Cabin Fever" among other films, it's the second credit in the opening of the film, right after Lionsgate (you know, small billion dollar, oscar winning studio). Prior to Black Sky, I ran business affairs for Harvey Entertainment and was part of plenty of film and television projects including "Casper's Haunted Christmas". In Hollywood as in any other field, if you can give credit and collect a paycheck, then you will always have a job. My boss at Harvey made 300 films and is listed on only four of them, yet like myself, continues to collect checks. It's how business works. My current production company is Jumprunner Productions which made the Bachar film. I also have a handful of scripts currently out there, some of which I've already been paid for and/or are in production.

As for the nonsense about me walking away from from 5.10s, I've walked away from 5.4s, it's the reason I'm still alive after 17 years of soloing. Jealousy makes for a hateful life, it's a shame that some climbers wish to act that way and is the part of the community that I will never be associated with. I climb, some people need to get over it.

Looking forward to seeing you out there!

Michael"

There you have it. From the man to me to you! Now quit your whinning and go climb something!

Partner heximp

Apr 13, 2006, 6:34 PM
Post #79 of 120 (13781 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am very happy for Reardon...
Actually if you hung out at Stoney Point long enough... You will know that Michael Reardon has always been the first person to help anyone that is struggling on a climb. He also is the first person to cheer when you top out...
So for all you "ego" bashing idiots... Yes, Reardon has the big mouth of a class clown... He is also the nicest guy... I even think he would be the type to take the ugliest girl to the prom... He would do it to make her smile and... To stick it to all the assholes in the world who won't like seeing her there smiling.
As for the pantie thing... (What do you expect from a man with the personality of the class clown? It's his signature...)
What? Do panties threaten you?
Talk about having issues...

Partner macherry

Apr 13, 2006, 6:38 PM
Post #80 of 120 (13781 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

panties and vagisil are not threatening, but littering all that shit is.........to the environment

billcoe_

Apr 13, 2006, 7:04 PM
Post #81 of 120 (13781 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I repeat "Nobody that is anybody in socal believes a word of it."

This is true. It has only gone as far as it has because it is easy to fool people in LA, where no really good climbers live, so the uninitiated have no one to compare and contrast Reardon to.

Joe: P...LLL.....EEE.....AAA...SS.S..SSSSSSSSSSS...EEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Do you even read the stuff you write?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bogant, thanks for the update.

Still laughing. :lol:

krusher4

Apr 13, 2006, 8:00 PM
Post #82 of 120 (13781 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well, regardless of the whole did he climb RW or not he did rap in an climb some damn hard stuff for his photos in climbing and if those pitches were not the second time that he had climbed them he then on-sited them, on on-site of 5.11d is pretty impressive. He probably checks out these threads and loves the attention LOL. So let's give him our best stuff.

westhegimp

Apr 14, 2006, 4:20 AM
Post #83 of 120 (13781 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

joe and neverwas,

You and I know that no matter what I say, or what photos or video I produce you still wont admit your wrong. If I answer every one of your questions perfectly, or provide the proof that you require, you still wont admit your wrong. You guys have had a hard on for Mike for a long time, and its not going away anytime soon. Sort of pathetic.

Wes

westhegimp

Apr 14, 2006, 4:37 AM
Post #84 of 120 (13781 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hasbeen/neverwas.
Ive never seen you climb, & nobody I know has ever seen you climb...see where I'm going? I think you are a LIAR! I need proof that you climb hard stuff!!!!

On second thought never mind, nobody cares about your pathetic climbing resume.

Love, Wes.
Now STFU!

westhegimp

Apr 14, 2006, 5:45 AM
Post #85 of 120 (13781 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt531,
I get it now. You were the guy @ Stoney eye f***ing Mike a couple of weeks ago. At the time I was like 'who's that guy, Mike?' and he just shrugged. I was getting a bad vibe off you. I could feel it. I was waiting for you to ask your question or make your accusation. Then I came to my senses... I'm just being paranoid. So I climbed on.

Well it turns out I was right!! There was something smelly out there by Boulder 1 and it wasn't just me!

But as history proves, I didn't need to worry, you didn't have your computer with you that day.:lol:

Best to you and your buddies.
Wes

kalcario

Apr 14, 2006, 6:25 AM
Post #86 of 120 (13781 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
joe and neverwas,

You and I know that no matter what I say, or what photos or video I produce you still wont admit your wrong.
Wes

Photos I might doubt, you know how easy it is to Photoshop a rope out of a picture, but convincingly taking a rope out of a video is neither easy or cheap. Video of the Beaver, or of Baby Apes, which Bachar could crank off ropeless with zero effort 20 years ago, would put a lot of doubts to rest, as would doing those same free solos in front of people. Jtree is one of the most popular climbing areas in the world, and Mike has filmed and put out a series of climbing videos. Yet no one has witnessed him soloing anything noteworthy (you won't even tell us what you've witnessed) and the only video of him anyone's seen is of a 5.10 at Josh and a few 30' 12a's. In Yosemite in the 80's it was hard NOT to see Bachar, Croft, Schultz, Werner free soloing - just not anywhere near the level Mike is claiming.

So, do you actually have videos, or not?

westhegimp

Apr 14, 2006, 7:09 AM
Post #87 of 120 (13781 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Joe,
If some 30' 5.12 solos wont work for you, are you sure video of the Beaver or BA will? I'm not so sure.
Wes

Partner heximp

Apr 14, 2006, 8:43 AM
Post #88 of 120 (13781 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Uhmmm... I saw him...
(Girl in the back raises her hand.)
He was climbing two weeks ago with Bachar in Josh doing 5.12's...

Anyway... Call me a liar, I don't care... It is not my worry for the truth always comes out. (I learned a very good, hard lesson about that today.)
Plus, since photoshop can do so many wonders... Give me a picture that looks like Reardon's. It should not be too hard since you're very sure that is what Reardon is doing...
Then again, since you are a wrong and very bitter about something... Your's will look like a fake for obvious reasons.
I'll keep my money on Reardon, he has always been honest enough to pay up... Plus, he doesn't attack people he doesn't know anything about except for paranoid feelings... (That is so not cool.)

kydd76

Apr 14, 2006, 12:18 PM
Post #89 of 120 (13781 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I could give an f***. If he is doing the stuff he said great, if not so what. As far a golden piton, what good is it with out a bling chain. What about the grill, let me see your grill. Second he is not a lawyer, to go to law school in the states is helpful in any industry since every one is sue happy. I didn’t care for cabin as a movie, good b rate horror film, but then who am I, but just a dude who like movies. If you can’t climb v+++ e6 5.12d on-sight, who cares, of you how can, who cares? Climb the millions of fun routes for you; don’t worry about all the rest. It sounds like mike is having a blast, doing what he does. More power too you, mike. I think you should repeat the traverse and carry a trash bag as penitence for your panties, fill er up.

jt512

Apr 14, 2006, 5:25 PM
Post #90 of 120 (13781 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
jt531,
I get it now. You were the guy @ Stoney eye f***ing Mike a couple of weeks ago. At the time I was like 'who's that guy, Mike?' and he just shrugged. I was getting a bad vibe off you. I could feel it. I was waiting for you to ask your question or make your accusation. Then I came to my senses... I'm just being paranoid. So I climbed on.

Well it turns out I was right!! There was something smelly out there by Boulder 1 and it wasn't just me!

But as history proves, I didn't need to worry, you didn't have your computer with you that day.:lol:

Best to you and your buddies.
Wes

Wes,

Chill.

How could any child of the seventies not get excited when he sees Michael. The resemblence to Farah Fawcett is almost too much to bear.

http://members.fortunecity.com/...ies/seventies010.jpg

That said, I haven't been to Stoney in a decade.

Jay

mtnfr34k

Apr 15, 2006, 5:13 PM
Post #91 of 120 (13781 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Another congratulations to Reardon for the Golden Piton - it was a great accomplishment.

And thank you to Climbing magazine for establishing the Golden Piton Awards. After the last few years of questionable Piolet d'Or Awards, I'm glad to see that there is a similar award being given here in North America. Hopefully the competition will start to create a more balanced view of climbing accomplishments.

P.S. To the concerns of litter on the Palisade traverse - the items that Reardon left behind were in summit registers (at least the four that I came across), not just randomly left on the route. I didn't see it any differently than those Sierra Clubbers that insist on leaving keychain momentos in the registers too.

shanz

Apr 15, 2006, 5:57 PM
Post #92 of 120 (13781 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

First - grats mike - as if you care about a golden piton

2nd - all this whining about proving this or that Ive sat around many a campfire and heard at every one, that this person on sited this or red pointed that hrm -- kinda arrogant and self absorbed? Nah just talking about how they did climbing and what goals they accomplished. And just because the person who nailed this climb and didn't come running up to me telling me i have to watch them do it, do i doubt them? Nope

3rd reminds me of the Dan Osman controversy.. Seems to me the like people doing things that are different from the "norm" are always subject to criticism by those who aren't doing it themselves

dirtineye

Apr 15, 2006, 6:03 PM
Post #93 of 120 (13781 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have no idea if MR did it or didn't, but my experiences with free soloing says that free soloists usually do not fool themselves, or others.

There's not much to gain and too much to lose.

So if he says he did it, I believe him.

overlord

Apr 15, 2006, 6:05 PM
Post #94 of 120 (13781 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

congrats. he definitely deserves it.

Partner johnnym

Apr 16, 2006, 1:18 AM
Post #95 of 120 (13781 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I definitely believe that Mike has done all that is claimed and am totally with Wes on this!
Check out this interview for another take: http://www.crimpermag.com/...s_MichaelReardon.htm

Partner johnnym

Apr 16, 2006, 1:24 AM
Post #96 of 120 (13781 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I definitely believe that Mike has done all that is claimed and am totally with Wes on this!
Check out this interview for another take: http://www.crimpermag.com/...s_MichaelReardon.htm

westhegimp

Apr 16, 2006, 8:25 AM
Post #97 of 120 (13781 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512,
If that wasn't you, than I saw the guy in your profile pic. I thought he was going stab me when I said "hey, hows it going?" But if it wasn't you then, my bad. :oops:

By the way I need to see video of all your 512 sends. Not photos. Also the 12s must be over 30' to count.

Chillin,
Wes

fracture

Apr 17, 2006, 3:46 PM
Post #98 of 120 (13781 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Even their reviews are pretty crappy, but who wants to read Better Homes & Gardens on day 12 of their Indian Creek trip? We are, unfortunately, a captive audience. And so long as Urban Climber pumps out articles I REALLY don't care about, I'm stuck with Climbing and R&I, because I can't afford (and don't care for) the fancy words of Alpinist.

Captive audience? Believe it or not, I have interests other than rock climbing, and the list of books on my to-read list is always sufficiently long that the likes of R&I or Climbing aren't particularly tempting.

fracture

Apr 17, 2006, 3:49 PM
Post #99 of 120 (13781 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Even their reviews are pretty crappy, but who wants to read Better Homes & Gardens on day 12 of their Indian Creek trip? We are, unfortunately, a captive audience. And so long as Urban Climber pumps out articles I REALLY don't care about, I'm stuck with Climbing and R&I, because I can't afford (and don't care for) the fancy words of Alpinist.

Captive audience? Believe it or not, I have interests other than rock climbing, and the list of books on my to-read list is always sufficiently long that the likes of R&I or Climbing aren't particularly tempting.

westhegimp

Apr 19, 2006, 4:40 AM
Post #100 of 120 (13779 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

check check
http://smg.photobucket.com/...nt=_BurningBush1.jpg

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook