Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

dbrayack

Sep 20, 2006, 5:00 PM
Post #1 of 77 (7922 views)
Shortcut

Gear Shop Quotes
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I strutted into the Morgantown, WV gear shop, knowing darn well that I was going to buy a new pair of Anasazie Velcros (VCS) (with the new Onyx).

But I figured I may as well inquire about different shoes, size, fit etc etc, you know, just to make the sales person feel like that actually helped me choose something that's the best for me. (I'm a nice guy like that, especially if its a hot babe).

So I walk in and there's this prettty hot chicka working there. After a little small talk, I direct the conversation toward shoes. "I'm thinking about getting a new pair, my old pair is pretty messed up etc, What do you think I should get?"

"Oh....Montrail for sure, they're the best shoe on the market," she replies. Now I'm not bashing Montrail, they're actually really good shoes, I'm using that as my example because that was, infact, the shoe she was pushing. (At least it wasn't freeking BOREAL)

"Montrail," I inquire, "those are new right?"

She nods and I pick up a pair and look at them, feel the rubber and the flex. Then I take a look at the VCS.

"I hear these have new Onyx Five Tens have new stickier rubber right?" I inquire.

"Yeah she said, but really, the Montrails are much better shoes", she replies.

"Well, I've heard a lot of good things about the VCSs", I retort (I've owned 16 pair of Anasazi Velcros to date actually), "Isn't the new 5.10 rubber suppose to be stickier than the Montrails?"

"Let's be honest," she says sincerely, with a soft smile, making eye contact with me, "You're not climbing hard enough for it to matter how sticky the rubber is."

"Well," I replied quickly, "I'll take all the advantages I can get."

I just kinda smirked, grabbed my pair in VCSs handed her my credit card, payed and walked out the door.

-Danno

svilnit

Sep 20, 2006, 5:08 PM
Post #2 of 77 (7922 views)
Shortcut

Re: Gear Shop Quotes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
"Let's be honest," she says sincerely, with a soft smile, making eye contact with me, "You're not climbing hard enough for it to matter how sticky the rubber is."

-Danno

Wow, she had you pegged huh? JK :lol:

caughtinside

Sep 20, 2006, 5:26 PM
Post #3 of 77 (7922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Classic.

reminds me of the time maculated told me "you know, I don't think you're as good as you think you are."

GUFFAW!

dbrayack

Sep 20, 2006, 5:32 PM
Post #4 of 77 (7922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside
In reply to:
you know, I don't think you're as good as you think you are

Looks like they got you pinned on that one :)

-Danno

Partner j_ung

Sep 20, 2006, 5:38 PM
Post #5 of 77 (7922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I walked into the local gear store the other day and the hot babe working there told me she wanted to do me on the floor right then and there. Then she stuck her tongue in my mouth. Of course, she's my wife...

caughtinside

Sep 20, 2006, 5:43 PM
Post #6 of 77 (7922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

that's amazing jay! same thing happened to me! and then she told me I suck and sold me a pair of sportiva cliffs. :P

Partner tgreene

Sep 20, 2006, 6:13 PM
Post #7 of 77 (7922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I walked into the local gear store the other day and the hot babe working there told me she wanted to do me on the floor right then and there. Then she stuck her tongue in my mouth. Of course, she's my wife...

OMFG Dude... The same exact thing happened to me the other day, except when we were all done and stuff, she told me she was Jay's wife!!! :shock:

svilnit

Sep 20, 2006, 6:37 PM
Post #8 of 77 (7922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

OMFG Dude... The same exact thing happened to me the other day, except when we were all done and stuff, she told me she was Jay's wife!!! :shock:

You knew it was coming Jay ;)

dbrayack

Sep 20, 2006, 6:41 PM
Post #9 of 77 (7922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Too bad Jays probably out bolting something by now for him to retort :D

davidji

Sep 20, 2006, 7:15 PM
Post #10 of 77 (7922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:lol:

the_climber

Sep 20, 2006, 8:01 PM
Post #11 of 77 (7922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Reminds me of the gear shop Chick that suggested I try the Junkyards (practice Ice area in Canmore) when she saw me pull up with Saskatchewan plates on my truck. (I was living in Saskatoon aka flattest place on earth for University at the time) Suggesting it was an easy place to "learn the basics". Now I'm bilt more like a highland scot than your typical noodle thin climber, but am by no means fat or overly beergutish, but I opted to not make a seen, and simple bought the cord I needed for V-threads and left.

A couple days later we decided to whip up House of Sky in the Ghost after a good session in the Valley of the Birds, and who do I end up teaching how to make an abalakov (sp?) on the way down. :roll: Gave her a lesson in down climbing ice too. Turned out to be a really nice girl, but the Irony of it was PRICELESS!! :twisted:

Partner devkrev

Sep 20, 2006, 8:22 PM
Post #12 of 77 (7922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Reminds me of the gear shop Chick...

I think some people, when they work in a shop, get used to being "the experts" in whatever field, especially now that the "outdoor lifestyle" is so popular, so they start to think that they know more than EVERYONE who walks in the door, I don't think this is their fault, it just ends up they know more than MOST everyone that walks in the door and are looked at as an expert they begin to act like an expert( kinda like that prisoner/guard experiment that college did back when)

I haven't returned to a specific shop, because after a short conversation, the kid behind the counter said "Too bad there is only bolted sport climbing around here." HERE he meant Connecticut, which is completely vacuous of sport climbing, hell, THE GUNKS is closer than the closest decent sport area.
This person had no idea what he was talking about, but his environment and perception made him think he did, because he always knew what he was talking about, he worked at a shop.

....or something.

dev

Partner ewtotel

Sep 20, 2006, 8:38 PM
Post #13 of 77 (7922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I popped in to one of the local outdoor shops over the summer, browsed for a while, then told the first guy I saw that I needed someone to cut some webbing for me. Kid comes over and asks what I want, and I tell him, "25 feet of this and 25 feet of that." He's pulling it off the spool and he says, "You know, it's not safe to tie a harness..."

I never said I was tying harnesses ... I never said anything about what I was doing with it. Nevertheless, I've climbed in many, many modified Swiss seats over the years... this webbing, though, was for TR anchors.

I just looked at him kind of quizzically and said, "Just ring it up."

Partner bri1682

Sep 20, 2006, 9:12 PM
Post #14 of 77 (7922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was in REI the other day buying some BD nuts and the guy at the register picks them up, looks at me and asks what there for.

talons05

Sep 20, 2006, 9:15 PM
Post #15 of 77 (7922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's what you should have said:

"Just ring it up -- bitch."

Then you could have kicked him in the balls, that would have really driven the point home. :twisted:

Cheers,

A.W.

desertdude420

Sep 20, 2006, 11:21 PM
Post #16 of 77 (7922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lots of shop employees get that "superior image" because they are bombarded mostly by questions from gapers. Then when a honemaster (like you) walks in, they just slip into their normal mode. Clerks will sell what they themselves use most often. Brand/product loyalty is another rookie move. It just gives away the fact that they just attended a clinic from a factory sales rep.

I happen to know this because I myself used to work at outdoor shops for more than ten years...

dbrayack

Sep 21, 2006, 11:45 AM
Post #17 of 77 (7922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I definitely have no personal issues with it, and I definitely set myself up for it (I love pretending that I have no idea, infact, I'm suprised to learn a lot of stuff).

Its just hilarious.

Usually when I walk into the gear shop, I start asking about washing my rope. (A really touchy subject from a legal aspect). The first thing I ask is how much Bleach I should use. :idea:

-Danno

deltav

Sep 21, 2006, 12:43 PM
Post #18 of 77 (7922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was in a shop with my brother checking out shoes for him, one of those shops with the wall to "test" shoes and such with. They had the system set up to belay straight off the anchor. When my brother got to the top, the clerk looked at me, said "here hold this for a sec", handed me the brake and went and started rummaging through a box. Over his shoulder he says " I need a glove to let him down". I let my brother down pretty fast, he sprawls out on the floor, and I walk over to the clerk and look over his shoulder. The look on him face was PRICELESS. He was pretty pissed afterward, guess he didn't think it was funny. Serves the dumb ass right though

markc

Sep 21, 2006, 1:25 PM
Post #19 of 77 (7922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ewtotel's webbing story reminded me of an encounter with a EMS staffer. My preferred shop was closed, and I was just popping in to buy a 30' length of 1" webbing.

He said, "You know, you should probably just go ahead and buy a spool." My order would have gone from 30 to 300 feet.

"What?"

"Yeah, I have a couple spools of webbing at home in my closet."

"I only need the one piece. Besides, I like to color code different lengths. What the hell would I do with 300 feet of webbing?" We discussed it a bit longer, and I was able to convince him that I was quite alright with the one piece.

Partner tgreene

Sep 21, 2006, 2:28 PM
Post #20 of 77 (7922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I June I went to an REI store for the first time ever, when I was in NC to visit family and climb...

I specifically went into the store to buy a C4 #4. I was there at least 30 minutes before finally being waited on, even though I went straight to the cam case and was then passed up by every employee at least twice.

Finally this chick comes up and asks if I need help (No, I'm just holding the fucking carpet in place!), I tell her I want the C4 #4 and pointed directly to it. She then replies, "Oh, you're going to Indian Creek huh..?"... I told her no, I needed it for some routes I was planning to climb in NC.

She then tries to tell me that there are no climbs in the east that need cams that big... I just looked at her in amazement, and responded that I'm not from the east, and that she doesn't have a clue as to what she's talking about!

Without ever saying another word, she grabbed the cam from the case, took it to the front counter, handed it to the cashier, and walked away.

Good thing I didn't ask to buy a #5! :lol:

redlegrangerone

Sep 21, 2006, 2:34 PM
Post #21 of 77 (7922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No, you should have gone straight for the #6. :lol: :lol:

dbrayack

Sep 21, 2006, 2:40 PM
Post #22 of 77 (7922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not that I own a #4 BD, but I've certainly wished that I owned one on at least 20 occassions!

redlegrangerone

Sep 21, 2006, 2:48 PM
Post #23 of 77 (7922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I never thought I needed one, until I bought one. Once you have a #4, it seems you always find a place to use it. :lol:

svilnit

Sep 21, 2006, 2:48 PM
Post #24 of 77 (7922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dbrayack.... the chick in your signature file is getting me dizzy....

dbrayack

Sep 21, 2006, 2:51 PM
Post #25 of 77 (7922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Then quit starring at it 2 inches from your screen you PERV!

Actually, it makes me quite dizzy too

:lol:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook