Forums: Climbing Information: Injury Treatment and Prevention:
(new photos)'Oh noes!!!!' Chossy's account of mEATBOMBZing the talus.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

jms

Oct 27, 2007, 8:17 PM
Post #26 of 59 (6237 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradrenn] Oh noes!!!! Chossy's account of mEATBOMBZing the talus. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jebus nathan!! I'm glad to hear you're ok...you guys definitely have horseshoes up your butts.. has this cured your ontario gear problem yet??

tradrenn

Oct 27, 2007, 9:52 PM
Post #27 of 59 (6206 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jms] Oh noes!!!! Chossy's account of mEATBOMBZing the talus. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jms wrote:
has this cured your ontario gear problem yet??

No.

It's all good up to 5.9 and if you don't fall.

chossmonkey

Oct 28, 2007, 1:39 AM
Post #28 of 59 (6180 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradrenn] Oh noes!!!! Chossy's account of mEATBOMBZing the talus. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tradrenn wrote:
jms wrote:

No.

Its all good if you don't fall.

There is still one route left that I need to finish before I hang up the rack in S.On

Partner camhead

Oct 28, 2007, 2:16 AM
Post #29 of 59 (6164 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jms] Oh noes!!!! Chossy's account of mEATBOMBZing the talus. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

duuuude... glad you're all right. I'm also psyched that you got a quality m34tbOmb out of the whole thing. We really need to start incorporating that term into the climbing lexicon.

H3LL 1z sHRt3r 4 cH0ssMonkY!!!11

clausti

Oct 28, 2007, 2:19 AM
Post #30 of 59 (6163 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Oh noes!!!! Chossy's account of mEATBOMBZing the talus. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

holy shit.

massive congrats on being walking and breathing and everything.

i hope i get to climb with you someday and GG again... paul and i agree that we are not trad climbing with you in canada, though, sorry.

Partner brent_e

Oct 28, 2007, 3:28 AM
Post #31 of 59 (6146 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Nate,
sent you an email. I'm glad you're alright. it's odd that you didn't feel munge in the crack but there is munge on the cams.

heal quick, man.

Brent

Partner dominic7

Oct 28, 2007, 10:09 PM
Post #32 of 59 (6099 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] Oh noes!!!! Chossy's account of mEATBOMBZing the talus. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good work on making it through more or less in one piece! Looks like you'll be gimping around for a bit on that foot.

Partner epoch

Oct 29, 2007, 1:07 AM
Post #33 of 59 (6080 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dominic7] Oh noes!!!! Chossy's account of mEATBOMBZing the talus. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Holy hand grenade Nathan!

glad you made it out only minorly unscathed. Though if you could have, would you have gone to the hospital to get an x-ray, just in case. Impact injuries are not fun at all. Plus, the risk that your ASR masked the severity of the injury only adds to the probability of a more complicated injury.

I have always been reallly cautious when placing gear in slimestone. I've seen some nasty shit happen to others when similar stuff happened.

Get better, slowly.

tradrenn

Oct 29, 2007, 1:44 AM
Post #34 of 59 (6071 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] Oh noes!!!! Chossy's account of mEATBOMBZing the talus. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chossmonkey wrote:
tradrenn wrote:
jms wrote:

No.

Its all good if you don't fall.

There is still one route left that I need to finish before I hang up the rack in S.On

I admire your determination man.
I know you will get the Monument, you almost did when I was there with you.

Partner philbox

Oct 29, 2007, 3:36 AM
Post #35 of 59 (6037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Take pics of the crack too if you can narrow down where the cams scraped out.

Well developed accident report mate, top stuff.

granite_grrl

Oct 29, 2007, 11:51 AM
Post #36 of 59 (6011 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Oh noes!!!! Chossy's account of mEATBOMBZing the talus. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:

glad you made it out only minorly unscathed. Though if you could have, would you have gone to the hospital to get an x-ray, just in case. Impact injuries are not fun at all. Plus, the risk that your ASR masked the severity of the injury only adds to the probability of a more complicated injury.

I have always been reallly cautious when placing gear in slimestone. I've seen some nasty shit happen to others when similar stuff happened.

Get better, slowly.

I agree about the x-rays, etc. And Nathan just got his madical pass letter and should be able to get covered by Ontario medical care now....once he gets that health card he has no more excuses.

chossmonkey

Oct 29, 2007, 12:09 PM
Post #37 of 59 (6010 views)
Shortcut

Re: [philbox] Oh noes!!!! Chossy's account of mEATBOMBZing the talus. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

philbox wrote:
Take pics of the crack too if you can narrow down where the cams scraped out.

Well developed accident report mate, top stuff.
I'll try if we get back there anytime soon. It might be tough to get much of inside the crack though. I'd really like to get up there and take a good look at the inside of that crack before winter comes and passes. Its four hours away and the season is ending quick if it hasn't already so we'll have to see. I wish I would have at least took a couple from the ground before we left.

Once we started talking about it while still at the base of the cliff I knew I had a unique opportunity and should do my best to document it. I hope everyone who reads the report can at least gain something from it.

chossmonkey

Oct 29, 2007, 12:45 PM
Post #38 of 59 (5995 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Oh noes!!!! Chossy's account of mEATBOMBZing the talus. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
epoch wrote:

Get better, slowly.

I agree about the x-rays, etc. And Nathan just got his madical pass letter and should be able to get covered by Ontario medical care now....once he gets that health card he has no more excuses.
Um....

Whats an ASR?

I have insurance and I could have went if I really felt there was something wrong. One of my thoughts not put into the report was, "Where is the closest ER?". When I hit I thought for sure I would need to go. After things calmed down I decided that going to the ER would likely cause more commotion than it was worth. We had about 4 hours from starting the walk out to drive to Voytek's place so he could keep an eye on me and get help if I needed it. I felt well enough when we got there I drove home the rest of the way and called Voytek when I got home. Rebecca could keep an eye on me through the night and get me to a hospital if things changed.

I never hit my head (yes Majid, I was wearing my helmet) or torso so I figured the chances of internal injuries were quite low. I will admit that the thought of internal bleeding crossed my mind, but rationalized (rational or not) that my feet and ass absorbed almost all of the fall. If there were any strains, sprains or fractures they obviously weren't to bad and could wait.

Compounding things was the fact that Rebecca's mother was here visiting. I decided that making a big deal of it would cause far to many new problems. As it is her Father is completely paranoid of us climbing and her mother barely accepts it. As long as I didn't put weight on my heel I could walk okayish and I just had to really suck it up for a few days until she left. As far as we know Rebecca's mom never noticed.

chossmonkey

Oct 29, 2007, 12:52 PM
Post #39 of 59 (5992 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Oh noes!!!! Chossy's account of mEATBOMBZing the talus. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:

I figured that I should add that I have usually always been very cautious too. The rock there seemed really good and perhaps I let my guard down? Rebecca and Voytek got the same feeling from the rock. Normally neither is to jazzed about climbing gear on this shit but both were seduced into climbing at this cliff because of the seemingly good rock. That's why I thought it was so important to post all of this.

andypro

Oct 29, 2007, 2:22 PM
Post #40 of 59 (5966 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brent_e] Oh noes!!!! Chossy's account of mEATBOMBZing the talus. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

brent_e wrote:
it's odd that you didn't feel munge in the crack but there is munge on the cams.

First and foremost: Glad you're ok! Dying really puts a damper on peoples good moods. Cut that out!

Second: Brents comment made me think of something. Theres a cave at kelso that has really cold air coming out of it. Cold moist air. When I've climbed around the mouth, The cold air makes the moisture condense on my gear because it cools off fast due to the aluminum of it all.

You said that there was a slight breeze coming out of the crack. Could have been the same scenario as the above mentioned spot. The slime could have been a VERY thin layer, and dried out, but the air made water condense out of the air onto the aluminum and reconstituted the slime just enough to make everything slick as snot.

Obviously this is just wild conjecture and by no means any kind of proper analysis, but it would explain why you didn't feel the slime with your hands, but it was on the cams.

Again, glad you're ok.

--Andy P

zeke_sf

Oct 29, 2007, 2:36 PM
Post #41 of 59 (5960 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Oh noes!!!! Chossy's account of mEATBOMBZing the talus. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
duuuude... glad you're all right. I'm also psyched that you got a quality m34tbOmb out of the whole thing. We really need to start incorporating that term into the climbing lexicon.

H3LL 1z sHRt3r 4 cH0ssMonkY!!!11

That's what we've been trying to tell everybody via t3h b_et!!!

U m3ATBOMZ on l1m3st00n & lwering 1z shrter!!!

wanderlustmd

Oct 29, 2007, 3:04 PM
Post #42 of 59 (5952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chossmonkey wrote:

Whats an ASR?[image]http://www.climbeasterncanada.com/images/smilies/icon_redface.gif[/image]

Ass Scan Report
Laugh

(This post was edited by wanderlustmd on Oct 29, 2007, 3:05 PM)

chossmonkey

Oct 29, 2007, 3:27 PM
Post #43 of 59 (5945 views)
Shortcut

Re: [andypro] Oh noes!!!! Chossy's account of mEATBOMBZing the talus. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

andypro wrote:
Second: Brents comment made me think of something. Theres a cave at kelso that has really cold air coming out of it. Cold moist air. When I've climbed around the mouth, The cold air makes the moisture condense on my gear because it cools off fast due to the aluminum of it all.

You said that there was a slight breeze coming out of the crack. Could have been the same scenario as the above mentioned spot. The slime could have been a VERY thin layer, and dried out, but the air made water condense out of the air onto the aluminum and reconstituted the slime just enough to make everything slick as snot.

Obviously this is just wild conjecture and by no means any kind of proper analysis, but it would explain why you didn't feel the slime with your hands, but it was on the cams.

Yeah, that is something similar to what I was thinking but I don't think moisture would condense on the cams since they would have been warmer. I feel fairly confident the cool air or the rain or possibly a combination of the two had a lot to do with it. Or maybe it was just the thin layer of dried munge inside the crack? Or the munge had a dried crust and was moist underneath? For what its worth I didn't notice any moisture on the cams, but it would have been a few minutes between ripping them and examining them. Maybe a half hour. I'm pretty sure it was shady by the time I started climbing so the sun wouldn't have dried them off.

the_climber

Oct 29, 2007, 5:23 PM
Post #44 of 59 (5890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Damn Nate!

Good that you're OK and healing up now. Slimestone = as much passive as you can get, though parallel does not equal passiveUnsure I've had a similar cam ripping experiance years ago (thankfully the crampons missed my leg when landing... don't deck on ice) and it was what looked like an ideal placement too. Limestone is a nasty fucker of a completely inconsistant medium to climb. Heal up fast buddy. Maybe you'll get out here for some Bugaboo or Squamish "solid gear" routes next season... or perhaps I'll let you in on the 'super "semi" secret new area' that may or may not require a full day of trail building/bush whacking/brush chopping to get into.... I bet that doesn't appeal at the moment.

Well, Bec got the Super Hardcore Tough Chick Award... I guess that means you get the "Shear Dumb Luck You Must Have A Tone of Horse Shoes up Your Ass to still be Walking Award"... Which is by far the longest name of any award I've ever handed out.

chossmonkey

Oct 29, 2007, 5:48 PM
Post #45 of 59 (5870 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_climber] Oh noes!!!! Chossy's account of mEATBOMBZing the talus. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the_climber wrote:
Well, Bec got the Super Hardcore Tough Chick Award... I guess that means you get the "Shear Dumb Luck You Must Have A Tone of Horse Shoes up Your Ass to still be Walking Award"... Which is by far the longest name of any award I've ever handed out.
I don't know if we will have enough wall space for that one!!!

I keep thinking about how close those pointy blocks were to my spine and even my bits and pieces, not mention the very near anal intrution!

the_climber

Oct 29, 2007, 6:00 PM
Post #46 of 59 (5853 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's some seriously scary shit when you consider the sharp pointy stuff that could have impailed you and/or broken you back/head/neck. You are one lucky SOB! You know, when I took my gear ripping fall I was amazed at how lucky I was, 5 ice screws crampons and ice hook and 2 tools... not one single point punctured me. Though there was the thing about landing hip first on the ice and thinking for a few moments I had broken my pelvis.Crazy I guess that it's the biggest reason I carry so much passive gear on my rack, most of my climbing is on Limestone and it just holds better, taht said we come back toteh parallel crack thing and you're left with using a cam. It wasn't untill I started doing a bit of Aid on limestone that I realized how little of a film of scum or mineral deposit on the sides of the crack it takes for the cam to rip. Pins for that matter too. I'd buy you a beer to help with the pain, but I think it might get a little warm and flat by the time it got to your table. If you'll take a raincheck I'll buy you one on your next trip out here.

obsessed

Oct 30, 2007, 3:48 PM
Post #47 of 59 (5694 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Its a photo of a scrape on my ass. More technically my extreme lower back.

Yeah I'll be back climbing. I'm not sure about on gear in this rock though.

Yep, that's your ass alright! I guess I better not be grabbin it for awhile, least til you heal Tongue

Really glad you are (pretty much) unscathed by the incident...could have been a lot worse! Looks like your heel took the majority of impact. Do you remember smashing it when you decked or on the way down?

Don't worry, ice season is coming and you won't need to touch the slimestone then!

chossmonkey

Oct 30, 2007, 4:22 PM
Post #48 of 59 (5675 views)
Shortcut

Re: [obsessed] Oh noes!!!! Chossy's account of mEATBOMBZing the talus. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

obsessed wrote:
Yep, that's your ass alright! I guess I better not be grabbin it for awhile, least til you heal Tongue

Really glad you are (pretty much) unscathed by the incident...could have been a lot worse! Looks like your heel took the majority of impact. Do you remember smashing it when you decked or on the way down?

Don't worry, ice season is coming and you won't need to touch the slimestone then!
I could use someone to scratch it. The scabs are getting itchy.

I only hit my heel when I hit the ground. The route was fairly overhanging so it was a fall right straight down with nothing to hit but the ground.

rokklym

Oct 31, 2007, 12:09 AM
Post #49 of 59 (5626 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jeezus dude, you can't be doing that shit! Glad you didn't get too messed up. Heal up and get back and send that sucker!

leedaclimber

Oct 31, 2007, 6:18 PM
Post #50 of 59 (5582 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rokklym] Oh noes!!!! Chossy's account of mEATBOMBZing the talus. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nate-

thx for sharing your story. it is certainly a reminder to me of how fragile life is. glad you're ok man.

-matthew

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook