Re: [adatesman] Pull Test Results: Tradklime's Quicklinks vs Petzl Quicklinks
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Lab

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

jt512

Apr 16, 2008, 6:31 PM
Post #176 of 198 (5562 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sed] Pull Test Results: Tradklime's Quicklinks vs Petzl Quicklinks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sed wrote:
JT the only way someone would die in your scenario is if both links failed at the same time(on a 2 bolt anchor. The odds can't be figured the same.

Huh? The same as what?

In reply to:
I don't know if you play poker but the odds of getting pocket aces are not the same as the odds of two aces showing up somewhere on the table during the game, and that is what you are doing, treating those scenarios the same. I thought stats was your strength?
Scott

With the analytical skillz you've just demonstrated you'd be welcome at my poker table any day. Bring your ATM card.

Jay

jt512

Apr 16, 2008, 6:40 PM
Post #177 of 198 (5561 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradklime] Pull Test Results: Tradklime's Quicklinks vs Petzl Quicklinks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tradklime wrote:
jt512 wrote:
In other words, we have to keep in mind that the probability of failure is 2 chances in a million per anchor. The probability of an unsafe anchor being installed somewhere increases each time such an anchor is installed.

Jay

I agree with you in principle, however in this case, aren't we saying that there is a 2 in one million chance that the anchor will only withstand somewhere between 5.5-11 kN, a value that is still sufficient for rappel. Realistically, the only way to achieve forces in that range is if someone was foolish enough to fall directly on the anchor attached by a spectra sling, with no mitigation from energy absorbed in the body or friction as the person scrapes down the rock, and that assumes they attached themselves to the quicklink directly and not the bolt hanger, or the sling.

The real danger in this scenario is the static fall on the anchor, because if the person falls just a little farther, we're talking forces that that could break slings, biners, not to mention backs.

If the failure rates actually have a normal distribution, then yes. I had to assume something about the distribution in order to be able to calculate anything. We really hove no evidence that the distribution is normal, and hence really have no idea what percentage of biners would fail at any given load. That's the main point I've been trying to make all along. I'm beginning to regret that I made any calculations in the thread. It might have been better had I said that the all we know from the testing is that there is too much variability in the failure rates, and left it at that.

Jay

sed

Apr 16, 2008, 6:50 PM
Post #178 of 198 (5553 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Pull Test Results: Tradklime's Quicklinks vs Petzl Quicklinks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Insults aren't answers. Let's see if you can get it right Jay. If the odds of a link failing are 1 in 500,000, what are the odds that two links will fail at the same time?
Oh, and I a teacher so show your work.
S

tradklime

Apr 16, 2008, 7:00 PM
Post #179 of 198 (5551 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Pull Test Results: Tradklime's Quicklinks vs Petzl Quicklinks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
I'm beginning to regret that I made any calculations in the thread. It might have been better had I said that the all we know from the testing is that there is too much variability in the failure rates, and left it at that.

Jay
Personally, I'm glad you provided to calcs. It is the kind of interesting input that provides value to threads like these. I think you have been very clear that, with the limited sample size, any analysis of the data is of limited value, this should also be relatively obvious. I think the testing of the links provides a context for the discussion, gives some actual values to play with, and helps explain how the process works, and helps to explain why a substantial data set is important to statistical analysis. Also, provides a context to explain the significance of distribution in statistical analysis. All interesting things.

If you have a moment, I wounldn't mind a brief description of "bimodal failure (Edit: oops I mean distribution)".

(This post was edited by tradklime on Apr 16, 2008, 7:43 PM)

jt512

Apr 16, 2008, 7:22 PM
Post #180 of 198 (5541 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sed] Pull Test Results: Tradklime's Quicklinks vs Petzl Quicklinks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sed wrote:
Insults aren't answers. Let's see if you can get it right Jay. If the odds of a link failing are 1 in 500,000, what are the odds that two links will fail at the same time?

My previous answer was not an insult, in spite of the fact that you didn't pose a coherent question.

In reply to:

You're obviously not a math teacher or an English teacher. What does that leave?

The problem posed by tradklime was of the form: what is the probability of a random sample of two bolts each having a breaking strength less than a certain quantile Q? If the probability of one bolt having a breaking strength less than Q is X, then the probability for 2 bolts is X^2, if some reasonable assumptions are used. Now I suggest you go back and reread the problem and the solution.

Jay

sed

Apr 16, 2008, 7:57 PM
Post #181 of 198 (5530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Two insults and zero answers. You didn't answer my question so am I to assume you don't know how? I am asking a reasonable question no?
I think without calculating you and I both know the chances of two quick links failing at the same anchor at the same time are roughly equal to the probability that a comet will strike the white house next week.
A common sense approach seems appropriate here. I've seen a bunch of numbers in this thread but the only really useful ones came from the first post giving the test results. Extrapolating a normal curve and estimating confidence is pointless from a sample size of 6. Luckily it is also unnecessary and a waste of time. You don't need a tank to kill an elephant Jay. I don't care how mean the occasional ant could be.

jt512

Apr 16, 2008, 8:28 PM
Post #182 of 198 (5519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sed wrote:
You didn't answer my question...

The first time you asked a question it was incoherent. The second time you asked, "If the odds of a link failing are 1 in 500,000, what are the odds that two links will fail at the same time?" That question isn't directly answerable either, so I rephrased it in terms of the original question, hoping that that was what you really were asking, and just wording it badly, and answered that question. You know how to square a number, right?

The problem with your second question is that you throw in this "time" element, which doesn't make much sense either physically or probabilistically. The necessary and sufficient condition for a two-bolt anchor to fail is that both bolts are loaded to their breaking strength. It doesn't matter if that happens simultaneously or sequentially. But let's say that bolts A and B each have a breaking strength of X, then if a load of 2X is applied to the bolts simultaneously, both bolts will break with certainty. This is not a probability question. The probability question is: assuming that an anchor will be loaded to 2X, then what is the probability that two bolts will each have a breaking strength less than or equal to X. That's basically the question that tradklime asked (actually his question was slightly simpler).

At this point I've put in at least ten times more effort at answering your questions than you have into thinking about them. I am hopeful that this explanation will be the beginning of a reversal in that trend.

Jay

g_i_g_i

Apr 16, 2008, 11:22 PM
Post #183 of 198 (5474 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
tradklime wrote:

Is there anyway to express statistically the chances that, randomly selected, two of these quicklinks would actually break at the low 3 sigma value you calculated.

The probability of a link being weaker than the mean minus 3 sigma is .00135, so the probability of two of them being weaker than the mean minus 3 sigma is .00135^2, or .00000182, roughly odds of 500,000:1.

Edit, Hypothetical question: Say the odds of an anchor failing are 500,000:1. Would these odds be good or not? Would you rap off an anchor that had 2 chances in a million of failing? Probably you would. I know I would. Does that mean that it would be ok to knowingly install anchors that had 2 chances in a million of failing? In my opinion, no. Here's why: Imagine that everybody installed anchors that had 2 chances in a million of failing. How many anchors are there in the world? I have no idea, but let's say that there are 1 million. Then, chances are that 2 of those anchors will fail, and someone will die. Thus the only justification for installing anchors that have 2 chances in a million of failing is that most everybody else is installing better anchors. Kant would not approve.

In other words, we have to keep in mind that the probability of failure is 2 chances in a million per anchor. The probability of an unsafe anchor being installed somewhere increases each time such an anchor is installed.

Jay
This is a very good point, useful to try and convince the cheap-minded.

jt512

Apr 16, 2008, 11:29 PM
Post #184 of 198 (5723 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradklime] Pull Test Results: Tradklime's Quicklinks vs Petzl Quicklinks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tradklime wrote:
jt512 wrote:
I'm beginning to regret that I made any calculations in the thread. It might have been better had I said that the all we know from the testing is that there is too much variability in the failure rates, and left it at that.

Jay
Personally, I'm glad you provided to calcs. It is the kind of interesting input that provides value to threads like these. I think you have been very clear that, with the limited sample size, any analysis of the data is of limited value, this should also be relatively obvious. I think the testing of the links provides a context for the discussion, gives some actual values to play with, and helps explain how the process works, and helps to explain why a substantial data set is important to statistical analysis. Also, provides a context to explain the significance of distribution in statistical analysis. All interesting things.

Thanks.

In reply to:
If you have a moment, I wounldn't mind a brief description of "bimodal failure (Edit: oops I mean distribution)".

A bimodal distribution is a distribution with two peaks, like this:

An example of a bimodal distribution in real life would be the distribution of failure loads for Aliens during the period in which they were outsourcing a percentage of the work. The majority of the units probably had a distribution like the one on the right in image above, whereas a percentage of those outsourced had a distribution like the one on the left. If the Chinese quick links have a similar bimodal distribution, we would not expect to be able to detect it by testing a sample of only six units.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Apr 16, 2008, 11:38 PM)

blondgecko

Apr 17, 2008, 4:36 AM
Post #185 of 198 (5696 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sed wrote:
S

The 1 in 500,000 value was for the probability of two links failing in the one anchor. The probability Jay calculated for one link failing was around 1 in 740.

tradklime

Apr 17, 2008, 4:57 AM
Post #186 of 198 (5689 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blondgecko] Pull Test Results: Tradklime's Quicklinks vs Petzl Quicklinks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blondgecko wrote:
sed wrote:
S

The 1 in 500,000 value was for the probability of two links failing in the one anchor. The probability Jay calculated for one link failing was around 1 in 740.

Perhaps Jay should clarify this, but I don't think the odds presented were for "failure", it was for breaking at the low end of 3 sigma, ie approx. 5.5 kN. This is a significant distinction. (for the slooooowwww folks, this assumes a normal distribution, which is impossible with the small sample size).

tomcat

Apr 17, 2008, 12:58 PM
Post #187 of 198 (5664 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have red all of dis tred and decidered I wood rather repel on too of dose Chineez links den one expenseive one.

jt512

Apr 17, 2008, 4:00 PM
Post #188 of 198 (5635 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tomcat] Pull Test Results: Tradklime's Quicklinks vs Petzl Quicklinks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tomcat wrote:
I have red all of dis tred and decidered I wood rather repel on too of dose Chineez links den one expenseive one.

I read your entire sentence, and decided I would rather killfile you than read another one.

*plonk*

Jay

tomcat

Apr 17, 2008, 4:05 PM
Post #189 of 198 (5629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jay.What are the odds you have a sense of humor?

sed

Apr 17, 2008, 4:49 PM
Post #190 of 198 (5614 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Your right, I'm no math teacher, and my english teacher was always displeased with my lack of proofreading. I'm going to make some wild assumptions and use my limited memory of basic stats to see if I can calculate my chances of dying on two china made quicklinks with poor quality control.
My assumptions:
A. 1 in 100 of the quick links is significantly below specs and would fail in a low range of force.
B.1 in 1000 climbers would do something stupid or unfortunate enough to generate forces in the range necessary to cause failure of both links.
If we square 1/100 (for two such links at the same time) then multiply by 1/1000, that is a wildly speculative but I think conservative estimate of 1 in 10 million chance a climber will experience such an event.
I personally am ok with that, since the chance I will get in a fatal car accident on the way to the crag is much higher.
Go ahead Jay, insult my intelligence but while you are at it please take the time to give your own estimation in your own superior way. What are the chances two of these quick links will fail in a rappel situation? After all, isn't that what we want to know in this thread?
S

jt512

Apr 17, 2008, 9:28 PM
Post #191 of 198 (5565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sed wrote:
Your right, I'm no math teacher, and my english teacher was always displeased with my lack of proofreading. I'm going to make some wild assumptions and use my limited memory of basic stats to see if I can calculate my chances of dying on two china made quicklinks with poor quality control.
My assumptions:
A. 1 in 100 of the quick links is significantly below specs and would fail in a low range of force.
B.1 in 1000 climbers would do something stupid or unfortunate enough to generate forces in the range necessary to cause failure of both links.
If we square 1/100 (for two such links at the same time) then multiply by 1/1000, that is a wildly speculative but I think conservative estimate of 1 in 10 million chance a climber will experience such an event.

I have three objections to your "analysis." First of all, you are just making up numbers, so even if your approach were correct (which it isn't), the result would have no relation with reality. Second, I don't think that what you've done in step B, divide the climbing population into 2 mutually exclusive groups, one of which is stupid or unfortunate and one of which is not, is the correct approach to the problem; some of the most experienced climbers in the world have died as the result of a single careless mistake. And, third, even if we accept your approach for the sake of argument, your result, 1 in 10 million, would be the probability per ascent of anchor failure. Since climbers make many more than one ascent in their lifetime, the probability per climber is much greater. If the average climber makes, say, 1000 ascents in his lifetime, then the probability that a climber will eventually experience an anchor failure would be on the order of 1/10,000, using your own assumptions.

Jay

sed

Apr 21, 2008, 12:00 AM
Post #192 of 198 (5461 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Of your objections I agree to the 3rd. Your first objection just restates that yes I made assumptions. You could get a better approximation in my assumption A with a large sample size of testing but anyone trying to calculate the odds would have to make an assumption with regard to B. similar to mine. Actually we all know my 1 in 1000 is a much higher incidence than is probably true. In reality most people probably never generate anything other than body weight or slightly higher forces on a rappel anchor in their whole life. As far as your rejection of me putting people into groups, I didn't, you're right, anyone could make a mistake or have a bad set of circumstances. Besides, it doesn't matter who or why the person generated the higher than normal forces anyway. Your third statement does make more sense. If a person made 1000 ascents the odds over a whole climbing career would be much higher than when considering just one ascent. We all kind of expect that the longer we climb, the higher our chances of getting hurt. If we did a reliable survey of climbers I think we would arrive at a more accurate assumption for part B, which I suspect might turn out to be a factor of 2 or 3 higher than I used, placing the lifetime odds at more like 1 in 100,000 or 1 million.
Scott

jt512

Apr 21, 2008, 1:51 AM
Post #193 of 198 (5449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sed wrote:
We all kind of expect that the longer we climb, the higher our chances of getting hurt.

You have to do more than just "expect" it if you want to play actuary on the Internet. You can see that when you actually take it into account quantitatively, it makes the odds of a climber experiencing an anchor failure unacceptably high, using your other assumptions.

Jay

billcoe_

Apr 21, 2008, 5:15 AM
Post #194 of 198 (5434 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From my vantage point, Aric did some real work and posted some interesting numbers, in an open and honest manner. THANKS!

If you've done any climbing at all then you've rapped on things substantially less strong than this links, you just didn't know how much weaker it was.

"The final results are:
Sample 1: 5472 lb-f / 24.34kN
Sample 2: 5120 lb-f / 22.77kN
Sample 3: 6048 lb-f / 26.90kN
Sample 4: 4831 lb-f / 21.49kN
Sample 5: 5212 lb-f / 23.18kN
Sample 6: 4986 lb-f / 22.17kN

Petzl 1: 6895 lb-f / 30.67kN
Petzl 2: 6901 lb-f / 30.70kN "

I often see 2 rusty 1/4 chain directly onto bolts that get rapped on all day long. I'd like to see 3/8" diameter stainless everywhere, but until that happens, it's nice to see what numbers pull testing brings in.

Good stuff and worthy of Ed Leeper. Thanks again.

Bill

blondgecko

Apr 22, 2008, 12:36 AM
Post #195 of 198 (5384 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] Pull Test Results: Tradklime's Quicklinks vs Petzl Quicklinks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

billcoe_ wrote:
If you've done any climbing at all then you've rapped on things substantially less strong than this links, you just didn't know how much weaker it was.

Ain't that the truth. More than once I've found myself arriving at carrot bolt anchors with bolts that rattled around in their holes. In at least one case, I'm pretty sure that if I pulled in the right direction I could have removed it with two fingers.

mojomonkey

Apr 24, 2008, 2:36 PM
Post #196 of 198 (5278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
rjtrials wrote:
jt512 wrote:
tradklime wrote:
That doesn't make it a bad product per say, and it doesn't necessarily make it unsuitable for all climbing applications.

Yes, actually it does, and it does.

Jay

Jay,
Im not familiar with the ratings on most 5/16 quicklinks, but you seem to be opposed to their usage in climbing. I have seen MANY quicklinks in action on permadraws and/or anchors.

What is your take on the general usage of quicklinks over biners?

RJ

I have no opinion on quick links in general. I would, however, not use these particular Chinese quick links, based on the results of this testing.

Jay

As a point of interest, I checked a lot of the quicklinks on the permadraws at my gym on Tuesday... Most had no marking at all. Some were just stamped "CHINA". Some of the quicklinks (used to anchor daisy chains the ground for their toprope setup) were marked "CHINA SWL 1980".

I saw no climbing spec links, though it wasn't a thorough survey. I've no idea how long they have been in service, but the permadraw links had lots of nicks from falls.

shu2kill

Apr 24, 2008, 11:04 PM
Post #197 of 198 (5257 views)
Shortcut

Re: [adatesman] Pull Test Results: Tradklime's Quicklinks vs Petzl Quicklinks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:
I do find it rather interesting that Sample 3 held the most force, as that was the sample that got additional testing due to the attempts to use the webbing. It is certainly possible that these attempts influenced the results for this piece, but given the variation in peak loads its also possible that it was legitimate.

actually, during cold work (deformation), you increase hardness, as well as tensile strength and yield strength.

so, one can assume that using those chinese quicklinks in rap stations is safe?? looking at the results i would say its safe, and since those are rated for almost 7 kN, i would say they are using a safety factor of 3, thats why they break at more than 21 kN.

thanx!!

notapplicable

Aug 15, 2010, 11:53 PM
Post #198 of 198 (4897 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shu2kill] Pull Test Results: Tradklime's Quicklinks vs Petzl Quicklinks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

PDF's from google cache of the first two pages of this thread containing posts deleted by Aric. The other pages appear to be lost.

http://www.keepandshare.com/...7-43-pm-1-4-meg?da=y

http://www.keepandshare.com/...10-7-48-pm-199k?da=y

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : The Lab

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook