Forums: Climbing Information: Technique & Training:
Need help with workout regiment. Please.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

agentxcell

Mar 23, 2009, 2:52 AM
Post #1 of 13 (5970 views)
Shortcut

Need help with workout regiment. Please.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am new to these forums so please bare with me a bit...

I just started climbing a month ago and I need to drop about 30 pounds(would be awesome to do this by june or july or at least be close to my goal). I also want to build up my finger strength as well as overall climbing strength and endurance so this is going to be my new routine

Run as much as I can every other day (no less than a mile, last time I ran I did a mile and a half) Climb on Monday's, Wed, and Friday. Also on those days a short hangboard workout and Static Hangs until failure.

So the idea is to run every other day and climb on the days I am not running up to no more than three climbing sessions a week(Unless I think I will not get hurt). Does this seem solid at all to people of whom are far more knowledgeable than I am? Also I am giving up alcohol as well, I am still trying to workout the diet as I am not too good at that type of thing so any help would be greatly appreciated.

( Sorry this post might be a bit convoluted I am super tired)

aerili

Mar 23, 2009, 6:18 AM
Post #2 of 13 (5930 views)
Shortcut

Re: [agentxcell] Need help with workout regiment. Please. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I need to drop about 30 pounds(would be awesome to do this by june or july or at least be close to my goal).

Dropping that much weight by July is more realistic. I've had clients lose 10 pounds in a month, but not month after month after month. You should probably even adjust your timeline further out since you are trying to do this on your own--and most people aren't that successful at losing weight on their own in the least amount of time fat-burning physiologically allows. Trust me on that.

In reply to:
this is going to be my new routine

Run as much as I can every other day (no less than a mile, last time I ran I did a mile and a half)

It's quite possible that if you need to lose 30 pounds and want to run 3x per week every week you will end up with knee pain/injuries quite soon. I would really only run once (no more than twice) per week to start and do some other intense cardio that does not require massive pounding on your currently overloaded joints. I know 1-1 1/2 miles isn't that far, but unless you've been running this mileage regularly at your current weight it could prove to be a little much for joints absorbing the force of extra poundage. Eventually, you can work up to running more later.

In reply to:
Climb on Monday's, [sic] Wed, and Friday. Also on those days a short hangboard workout and Static Hangs until failure.

Being a climbing newbie and needing to lose a fair amount of weight means you should avoid hangboarding and static hangs for now....unless you want shoulder and finger injuries. Most people on here will tell you that building up finger/forearm endurance doesn't mean very much when you have no technique to speak of. So focus on just learning the skills of climbing movement and save more specific conditioning for later. You will consequently start building strength and endurance in the appropriate muscles anyway.

Here is a post I wrote a little while ago to someone else regarding how to approach weight loss...in case you are interested in some of the suggestions.

MS1

Mar 23, 2009, 2:22 PM
Post #3 of 13 (5879 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I did what you are trying to do on a larger scale -- I dropped from 240 to 170 in about eight months. Normal disclaimers apply to my advice -- this worked for me, may not for you, etc.

1. You probably can't burn enough calories by running that short of a distance to see significant weight loss. Running longer distances with great frequency might be hard on your knees. I recommend doing twice daily sessions on an elliptical machine, if you can schedule it; set it at a high resistance, and you burn a lot of calories quickly without much joint strain. Swimming or cycling are also good if you can use those. Ideally you want to mix different forms of aerobic exercise, both to avoid boredom (remember, you want to be able to keep this up long term, if you don't want to gain the weight back) and to keep a larger proportion of your muscles in good tone. Try to get at least an hour of exercise on your cardio-only days. And if possible, work out in the morning and again at night (for 30-45 minutes each time).

2.Ultimately, it won't help to exercise more if you just compensate by eating more calories. And you will be hungrier than usual if you start getting a lot more exercise. Find ways to cut calories from your diet that you can live with; for me, it was cutting out almost all sweetened beverages and reducing the amount of starch in my diet. Your idea to cut out alcohol is a decent start; experiment with other changes to your diet, trying to figure out what you can live without. Eat more vegetables and lean protein. But overall, you will have to maintain willpower to do this, so try hard to figure out what is sustainable for you.

3. How long are your climbing sessions? Keep track in terms of amount of time climbed, rather than just amount of time at the gym. If you do less than a full hour of actual climbing on your climbing days, supplement it with some easy cardio afterwards.

4. REST. Take one day a week to let your body recover; do no exercise at all on that day. If you are getting enough exercise to really lose 8-10 pounds a month, you will need to be doing about an hour/day of exercise, and probably more. This takes a toll on your body, so let it recover each week if you don't want to get sick/weak over time.

5. Drink lots of water.

Following these steps worked well for me. Good luck!

agentxcell

Mar 23, 2009, 3:25 PM
Post #4 of 13 (5862 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MS1] Need help with workout regiment. Please. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have done a fair amount of running at my current weight (205) and I seem to do pretty good. I think the thing I am most confused about is what and how many calories to intake daily.

agentxcell

Mar 23, 2009, 3:26 PM
Post #5 of 13 (5860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I do appreciate the advice. Thanks to everyone.

MS1

Mar 23, 2009, 3:33 PM
Post #6 of 13 (5854 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't mean to be contrary, but running 1 to 1.5 miles is not "a fair amount of running," given your weight loss goals. It is far less running than you would need to be doing to burn enough calories to meet your goals. You might feel fine running that distance, but develop joint issues running farther.

Then again, YMMV. If you can run for a solid hour at good intensity on your cardio days (or for two 30-minute intervals), and for half an hour on your climbing days, then you can probably achieve your goals. I would also recommend trying HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) to further boost your metabolism. But don't say I didn't warn you if you find out that your body doesn't like this treatment.

As to calories: Keep a journal of what you eat over the course of a week. At the end of each day, look up nutritional info online. Add up the calories, and see where you currently are. Then look for small changes you can make that will lower this amount without making you really hungry all day long. Eat smaller amounts of food more often and you will find this is more manageable; six small meals per day rather than three larger ones is great if you can schedule it. Don't cut calories way down, however; that may just slow down your metabolism and make it hard for you to stick with the exercise. Rather, reduce your caloric intake moderately (maybe cut 500 calories or so) and rely on exercise to do the rest of the work.

ryanb

Mar 23, 2009, 5:03 PM
Post #7 of 13 (5820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hang boarding is a really effective tool for training power but at this point you will probably see the biggest gains by focusing on weight loss and just climbing. You are all ready climbing with 30 "extra" pounds which is a pretty intense power work out in itself, loose that weight and you will have power to spare.

agentxcell

Mar 23, 2009, 5:19 PM
Post #8 of 13 (5808 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ryanb] Need help with workout regiment. Please. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

All very good points, thank you. Before I started climbing I would say in November/December I started doing interval training I would do running for 26 minutes 1 minute walking then one all out running then 1 walking then 2 running and so forth. Would it be better to continue that instead of just running for say 30 minutes?

(This post was edited by agentxcell on Mar 23, 2009, 5:25 PM)

MS1

Mar 23, 2009, 5:38 PM
Post #9 of 13 (5800 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Interval training is good, but why slow all the way down to a walk?

Figure out what pace you can run at comfortably for an extended time period. Then alternate running at that speed for 5 minutes with 1 minute sprints.

And 26 minutes per day is far too short an amount of exercise for you to be able to meet your goals. That is a weight-maintenance quantity of exercise, not a weight-loss amount. You'll need to either up the length of your runs or do more of them if you want to lose weight on the timeline you gave.

Armonster

Mar 24, 2009, 12:29 AM
Post #10 of 13 (5749 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You might consider taking up some type of sport like basketball, soccer, racquetball, etc to supplement your running. Some people (like me) get super bored with regular running. The important thing is to get a sustainable program that you enjoy doing.

That said, you might also try some light weightlifting for two reasons. (1) muscles burn more calories during the day than fat does, so a higher muscle-to-fat ratio could help you lose weight; and (2) seeing the results in the mirror will help keep you motivated. Also, the extra strength wont hurt your climbing.

sidepull

Mar 24, 2009, 1:18 AM
Post #11 of 13 (5736 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Armonster] Need help with workout regiment. Please. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think you'll be better served going to a site like this (and looking at a bunch of the transformations to get a sense of the pattern - it's basically the same):

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bradley_davis.htm

This is a climbing site, not a diet and weightloss site. I think you'll get some good advice here, but a lot of it will be worthless. If you really want to lose weight, focus on that as a priority and add climbing in as a supplemental thing.

(This post was edited by sidepull on Mar 24, 2009, 5:33 PM)

aerili

Mar 24, 2009, 3:58 AM
Post #12 of 13 (5703 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MS1] Need help with workout regiment. Please. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

MS1 wrote:
Interval training is good, but why slow all the way down to a walk?

Figure out what pace you can run at comfortably for an extended time period. Then alternate running at that speed for 5 minutes with 1 minute sprints.

Walking to recover during interval training is fine. It means your sprints were longer and harder than if you did otherwise.

agentxcell wrote:
I think the thing I am most confused about is what and how many calories to intake daily.

No one on this site can really answer this question ("how many"). If I asked you more things like height, weight, age, gender, body fat percentage, and so on, I could give you a ballpark answer, but that's about it.

There is a device...I wish I could remember the name of it....it is something we call an "indirect calorimetry" device that is offered for a fee by some trainers and dietitians. You breathe into it for about 20 minutes and it gives you a fairly good reading of your resting metabolic rate on computer software. If I can recall the name of it, I'll let you know and maybe you can find a business where you live that offers the service if you are interested.

jt512

Mar 24, 2009, 4:45 AM
Post #13 of 13 (5680 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

agentxcell wrote:
I am new to these forums so please bare with me a bit...

Sorry, but you're just not my type.

Jay

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook