Forums: Community: Campground:
The Movie Thread
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next page Last page  View All

notapplicable

May 6, 2009, 7:15 PM
Post #201 of 302 (9324 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ThisSilentDream] The Movie Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Terminator:Salvation = PG-13 = me> Frown

clausti

May 6, 2009, 7:36 PM
Post #202 of 302 (9320 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] The Movie Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
clausti wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Secondly and most annoyingly, Edwards character was pretty badly miscast and WTF was up with that hair?

totally missed this the first time around. i laughed inappropriately a lot during the movie. i would have personally like more car chases and vampire fight scenes. and i liked the book, for the most part.

but yes, the casting of edward was practically the worse possible. i honestly think zac fucking effron is a better actor. they needed brad pitt, patrick stewart, brent spiner. they got william SHATner.

heh heh

Fuckin Will Shatner. Thats funny.

Since you've read the books I have a question for ya though. What bothered me more than anything else was the way Edward ran in the movie. Is there any description in the book that has him moving like roadrunner with his legs going a mile-a-minute? With his flying/leaping abilities, I don't see why he wouldn't move much more elegantly than that.

Oh and FWIW, they have put a different director in charge of New Moon. He's more of a Hollywood insider type and possibly less talented than Catherine Hardwicke but that doesn't realy mean anything because Twilight was a poor fit for her to start. He may end up being able to do more with this specific type material.

no, edward was supposed to be incredibly elegant and graceful. so graceful that it was creepy-like. but there was no mechanistic description of his running.

and there was no fucking tree climbing. they cut a lot of scenes from the book that didn't make sense for cuts, to me. the book was very visual.

and the sparkling. ugh. that was shite. (yes, it was in the book, but was described as more like embeded diamonds refracting light- more "glitter" than "shimmer." )

ThisSilentDream

May 7, 2009, 1:09 AM
Post #203 of 302 (9308 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah. But all that means to me is don't go on opening day, a million teeny-boppers that weren't even born when the first one came out.

it'll still be rockin. Wasn't Transformer's PG-13? That was wicked.

G

notapplicable

May 7, 2009, 2:10 AM
Post #204 of 302 (9305 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think the comparison to Transformers is a good one. Its history is one of TV cartoons and comic books, Terminators history is one or dark, overt and graphic violence. Don't get me wrong, the preview looks great and I'd rather have this than nothing at all but it bothers me for two reasons.

1. It's an issue of cutting potential off at the knees. There is no denying that if the first two in the series were PG-13 they would not have been nearly as good as they were and they weren't even war movies. This one is and no war movie cut down to a PG-13 rating can be as good as the R rated version. The heightened levels of blood and violence that come with that rating are part and parcel to the genre.

2. Warner Bros. is making them cut a nude scene of Moon Bloodgood (in all her bosomy glory) topless in the rain. THATS JUST A CRIME AGAINST HUMANITY!!

(This post was edited by notapplicable on May 7, 2009, 2:13 AM)

ThisSilentDream

May 7, 2009, 2:19 AM
Post #205 of 302 (9296 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok. I have to admit I did not know the ratings of the old movies, and you make very valid points. I think I am just a very big optomist and am hoping for the best.

I guess my question is.

Do you think if T2 was released today it would still be R? Do you think the rating system has gotten softer? I'm not advocating either side, but my hope is the film will be on the level of at least that one. Maybe they cut the topless shot in hopes of getting a PG13 for a wider audience and more $$ and it was a compromise. I mean, it has happened before!

Oh well. If nothing, we have Harry Potter to look forward to! :P

notapplicable

May 7, 2009, 2:56 AM
Post #206 of 302 (9292 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thats a good question.

For PG-13 the general rule of thumb seems to be "kill as many people as you want, just don't do so in a graphic or bloody manner". Thinking back to T2 I don't believe it would take much editing to get it below the radar of current standards. It's been a while since I've seen it though.

Whats funny and annoying is that the nude scene was the sticking point. The director, Warner Bros. and the MPAA went round and round on it and finally the director had to relent. You can kill 100 people but can't show a pair of breasts. This country is so backwards.Crazy

Ah well, if it came in at PG-13 then it wasn't violent enough IMO but the standards have slackened a bit so perhaps they found a good middle ground. I have my fingers crossed.

Oh and HP is the shit. They keep getting better one after the other.

kachoong

May 7, 2009, 12:57 PM
Post #207 of 302 (9279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I also hate the fact Terminator is only PG-13.... The original Terminator was one of my favorite films growing up... I was a little too young to see it at the movies but saw it as soon as it came to VHS. It was so dark and fascinating for a young teen!

Damn action films these days a too focused to the kids to make money! Gggrrrrr!!!! Why can't us big kids have fun too!? At least we got Watchmen. Smile

You guys know that Deadpool is now in the works? Also a remake of Clash of the Titans. Also the animated movie "9" by Tim Burton looks great!

ThisSilentDream

May 7, 2009, 8:22 PM
Post #208 of 302 (9268 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Right. And I must agree. I am very excited about HP as well. I've read the books, they just get better and better. I almost wonder if J.K. Rowling started to write adult themed books how she would fare. They last two certainly dealt with some very mature issues.

I wonder if Deathly Hallows will get an R rating! HAHA

notapplicable

May 8, 2009, 1:29 AM
Post #209 of 302 (9253 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] The Movie Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
At least we got Watchmen. Smile

Yeah I was really happy with the way the studios and the director handled Watchmen. They showed a lot of respect for the material and it payed off big time.

kachoong wrote:
You guys know that Deadpool is now in the works? Also a remake of Clash of the Titans. Also the animated movie "9" by Tim Burton looks great!

I hadn't heard anyting about 9 but it looks really interesting. Could be quite good.

I'm pretty excited about the revamp of Clash of The Titans because I love the original. I watched that thing 10+ during my childhood and was really fascinated by the story and imagery. One of the few movies that really left an impression on me at an early age. Good stuff.

kachoong

May 8, 2009, 1:07 PM
Post #210 of 302 (9241 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:

I hadn't heard anyting about 9 but it looks really interesting. Could be quite good.

I'm pretty excited about the revamp of Clash of The Titans because I love the original. I watched that thing 10+ during my childhood and was really fascinated by the story and imagery. One of the few movies that really left an impression on me at an early age. Good stuff.
Best stop motion ever!!! I was always entranced by the whole Medusa thing... with her decapitated head turning things to stone and the blood drips turning to scorpions.... one of my faves growing up too.

jt512

May 9, 2009, 4:32 AM
Post #211 of 302 (9243 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] The Movie Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Star Trek: Two thumbs up.

Jay

notapplicable

May 9, 2009, 6:46 AM
Post #212 of 302 (9240 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] The Movie Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Friday night on opening weekend? Damn your brave Jay!

Good to hear though. I'll see it this weekend but it'll be late Sunday night when the place is a lot less crowded..Tongue

carabiner96

May 9, 2009, 10:05 PM
Post #213 of 302 (9227 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] The Movie Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Star Trek: Two thumbs up.

Jay

I saw it last night and have to agree. They could have gone the easy way and simply made it a sequel, but this is so much more. More movies in the future too, I presume.

Have plans to go see it a second time...the new kirk is a hottie!

skiclimb

May 9, 2009, 11:05 PM
Post #214 of 302 (9219 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] The Movie Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just got back and the movie was very good..A few idiosyncrasies and camp that kinda grated and it does change the startrek universe in a few significant ways..but I liked it alot. They clearly borrowed a few of Lucas's Star Wars details. In a good way. Great effects and the actors did their predecessors proud. Uhura is way hot ..again! The new spock is probably the hardest character to recreate..but he did it. Managed to be pretty damn convincing. The two main characters I thought did the best were the new Mc Coy and Scotty. The new Kirk never quite felt like the in control old Kirk..but that sorta fit with the plot. Great opening with Kirks dad pulling off a moving peice of heroism. Oh and there is a great hand-phaser firefight that had some of the best sound effects I could imagine to go with great visuals.

Captain Pike might have been the best character in the movie. In an action movie you dont expect much depth of acting but he managed to be a very charismatic character even in a somewhat cliched hero/mentor older guy role.

OK one tiny spoiler...We get to see the famous many times aluded to Kirk beating the Kobiashi Maru test..with an interesting to trekkies bit of detail involving spock.

Anyone seen it not like it?

(This post was edited by skiclimb on May 9, 2009, 11:35 PM)

veganclimber

May 10, 2009, 3:33 AM
Post #215 of 302 (9202 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skiclimb] The Movie Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

skiclimb wrote:
Anyone seen it not like it?

Yes: http://www.youtube.com/...XgM&feature=fvhl

I loved it though.

notapplicable

May 11, 2009, 10:24 PM
Post #216 of 302 (9181 views)
Shortcut

Re: [veganclimber] The Movie Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Watched Star Trek late sunday night on IMAX and it was great.

Sure there were illogical series of events and over the top action but who cares. It was exciting, they picked great actors for all the central roles and unlike the last few movies it was enjoyable for non-ST fans.

Edited to add: I do have one question for Star Trek fans though. Are the Vulcans a peaceful/passive people because it didn't seem like they had any defenses? I thought that was a bit odd.

(This post was edited by notapplicable on May 11, 2009, 10:32 PM)

skiclimb

May 12, 2009, 12:35 AM
Post #217 of 302 (9172 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't recall ever seeing anything about a defense system for vulcan in anything I have watched or read over the years..But I dont recall ever seeing them attacked offhand..hard to believe..maybe I have missed something.

Neither do vulcans seem ideologically non-violent as a principle..eh whatever..it is a movie.

This movie clearly changed the star-trek universe in order to allow this cast to not be required to re-live the original casts plots. Yet still reatining all the beloved character relationships and core theme most of us enjoyed about ST.

Good Idea really.

(This post was edited by skiclimb on May 12, 2009, 12:37 AM)

notapplicable

May 12, 2009, 6:28 AM
Post #218 of 302 (9152 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skiclimb] The Movie Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah I heard they "reconstructed" a lot of the original story line and personally I'm fine with it but a I also have no attachment to the vast Star Trek lineage. I'm sure there are many an upset diehard out there but you can't please everyone.

It's obviously not a big deal, I just thought it a bit odd that there was no surface to air stuff being launched from Vulcan...now that I think about it though, Earth didn't launch anything either. Given that I'm sure it was just a plot device.

Nevermind then.

notapplicable

May 21, 2009, 7:08 AM
Post #219 of 302 (9046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just got back from Terminator.

No work tomorrow and midnight movie FTW!!!

clausti

May 21, 2009, 2:03 PM
Post #220 of 302 (9034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OMG STAR TREK!!!!

and to a very slightly lesser degree, omg chris pine (young kirk) has now topped my hypothetical list of "who would you rather have sex with?", beating out both brad pitt and anderson cooper.

clausti

May 21, 2009, 2:07 PM
Post #221 of 302 (9032 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] The Movie Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
OMG STAR TREK!!!!

and to a very slightly lesser degree, omg chris pine (young kirk) has now topped my hypothetical list of "who would you rather have sex with?", beating out both brad pitt and anderson cooper.

oh and as for the "reconstructing the original" and variations from cannon- they have an ironclad excuse, that they even lampshade in the move. it's an alternate reality, basically. [this is not a spoiler because it happens in the first 30 seconds of the movie and bits can be seen in the trailer] nero alters the timeline pretty significantly by coming back and destroying the kelvin. old spock and kirk even have like a conversation where he asks about his father and spock is like "yes, everything is now different."

notapplicable

May 21, 2009, 6:17 PM
Post #222 of 302 (9020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
clausti wrote:
OMG STAR TREK!!!!

oh and as for the "reconstructing the original" and variations from cannon- they have an ironclad excuse, that they even lampshade in the move. it's an alternate reality, basically. [this is not a spoiler because it happens in the first 30 seconds of the movie and bits can be seen in the trailer] nero alters the timeline pretty significantly by coming back and destroying the kelvin. old spock and kirk even have like a conversation where he asks about his father and spock is like "yes, everything is now different."

Good point about the alternate reality.

Also I agree about Chris Pine and I like the fact that hes a believable action hero/leading man but can make you laugh while he does it. Bruce Willis has been the king in that department for a long time but hes getting old and there aren't many other leading men who have it.

notapplicable

May 21, 2009, 10:44 PM
Post #223 of 302 (9008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The trailer for The Road has recently been released.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0898367/

IMO the trailer looks like shit but knowing the director and based on a lengthy review I read in Esquire a few weeks back, I'm confident it's going to be a really solid adaptation of a wonderful novel. Not all jumpy and action movie wannabe like the trailer.

The Esquire review is here - http://www.esquire.com/...ad-movie-review-0609

sungam

May 21, 2009, 11:55 PM
Post #224 of 302 (9002 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

srsly, if they try to explain "the event" with special effects I'm gonna punch them in the weener!

sungam

May 22, 2009, 12:17 AM
Post #225 of 302 (8999 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
OMG STAR TREK!!!!

YOU TAKE THAT BACK! BRAD IS THE MAN!

First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook