Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Partner camhead

Aug 14, 2009, 3:01 PM
Post #51 of 193 (3734 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] A Guide's Life [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
jakedatc wrote:
In reply to:
Luckily she didn't know that I am an avid risk taker and that a risk I would take would not be one which she would want her daughter exposed.

please stop taking anyone but Greg out climbing... immediately. you are a danger to yourself and the people who think you have a clue as to what you are doing.
Agreed. This quote made my jaw drop. Jerimiah's attempts to make himself look like a hardcore risk taker makes me sick, and is certainly not someone that I'll ever rope up with.

If someone really wanted to be a dick, he could forward the blog post to Jer's boss or guiding company.

I wouldn't, but I will say that when I was guiding (though not rock), there was no way in hell I would post stuff like that online for everyone to see. Half facetious quips like the "risk" one are fine with beers around the campfire with friends, but not for the whole world to read and misconstrue.

jakedatc

Aug 14, 2009, 3:03 PM
Post #52 of 193 (3838 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] A Guide's Life [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
jakedatc wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
jakedatc wrote:
In reply to:
Luckily she didn't know that I am an avid risk taker and that a risk I would take would not be one which she would want her daughter exposed.

please stop taking anyone but Greg out climbing... immediately. you are a danger to yourself and the people who think you have a clue as to what you are doing.
Agreed. This quote made my jaw drop. Jerimiah's attempts to make himself look like a hardcore risk taker makes me sick, and is certainly not someone that I'll ever rope up with.

Yea.. i won't tie in with either of them.. Getting lost, hurt, benighted, especially on a regular basis does not fit into my partner criteria. And certainly doesn't make you look cool or hardcore. it makes you sound unsafe and stupid
it's good advertising for the guiding business!!!!!Wink

*almost* as good as drunken half naked pictures of yourself.. maybe he should team up with that girl?

lena_chita

Aug 14, 2009, 3:03 PM
Post #53 of 193 (3838 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] A Guide's Life [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
jt512 wrote:
[Oh my god.

Jay

Yeah, that was thought number 1.

Thought number 2 was: Gee, maybe i should start calling myself a guide? I only got lost on my way to the crag once, and that was the place I've never been to ... If Imanage to find a crag that I have been to before, I'm 90% there as far as my guiding credentials go.

I remember more than once, Lena.

That incident with the "road" in Muir Valley may have been enough to forever ban you from guiding in America.Smile

Hey, we weren't lost during THAT incident. I knew exactly where we were. It is just that we weren't supposed to be there in a car...

But you are right, I can remember two incidents of being lost now, but Funk Rock is the only one that really stands out in my mind. That was epic! Your sunglasses are still there somewhere, poluting the environment. Or was it Diego's sunglasses? I forgot.

If anything, that makes me MORE qualified for guiding, don't you think? I will be able to forget unpleasant things quickly, and thus will be able to maintain a smile for the clients, no matter how many insults they fling at me.

wanderlustmd

Aug 14, 2009, 3:04 PM
Post #54 of 193 (3836 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jmeizis] A Guide's Life [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Unacceptable level of posting here.

I'm going to buy some books and do errands, when I get back in a few hours I want to see 300+ and a few insults against his mother.

blueeyedclimber

Aug 14, 2009, 3:05 PM
Post #55 of 193 (3834 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] A Guide's Life [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am a certified TRSM instructor. I am a lead instructor at an outdoor climbing camp. Yesterday it rained, so we were forced inside. We played some sharks and minnows, did an obstacle course, and played a rope swing game called Peanut Butter and Jelly. I happen to kick ass at this game but my team lost for only like the second or third time all summer. It was rough!

Maybe I should start a blog to let people know how hard the "guiding" life is.

JoshCool

Partner camhead

Aug 14, 2009, 3:06 PM
Post #56 of 193 (3832 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] A Guide's Life [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
If anything, that makes me MORE qualified for guiding, don't you think? I will be able to forget unpleasant things quickly, and thus will be able to maintain a smile for the clients, no matter how many insults they fling at me.

Definitely. The true mark of a great guide, in my lame opinion, is positivity, understatedness, and the willingness to let clients find and discover things on their own. The last one is the hardest.

And yeah, those were my sunglasses. Dammit.

wanderlustmd

Aug 14, 2009, 3:08 PM
Post #57 of 193 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] A Guide's Life [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
I am a certified TRSM instructor. I am a lead instructor at an outdoor climbing camp. Yesterday it rained, so we were forced inside. We played some sharks and minnows, did an obstacle course, and played a rope swing game called Peanut Butter and Jelly. I happen to kick ass at this game but my team lost for only like the second or third time all summer. It was rough!

JoshCool

I'm doing an elementary ed program right now. Any lesson planning advice and/or variations on sharks and minnows would be greatly appreciated. I need to keep the little squirts in line come Sept.

I'm not paying $12/hour or anything, though.

blueeyedclimber

Aug 14, 2009, 3:17 PM
Post #58 of 193 (3807 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wanderlustmd] A Guide's Life [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wanderlustmd wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:

JoshCool

I'm doing an elementary ed program right now. Any lesson planning advice and/or variations on sharks and minnows would be greatly appreciated. I need to keep the little squirts in line come Sept.

Is this at a gym? Afterschool? PE program? etc.

One of my favorite games is the PB & J game. Basically you have two teams and you have to swing from one gym mat to the other. Each round, you switch directions and moves the mats further apart. The further apart they get, the more teamwork it takes to get your team across.

As far as sharks and minnows, instead of saying "fishy fishy, cross my ocean", you could say "climber climber climb my mountain" and the "IT" could be a Yeti or something.

Obstacle course are always fun. We also do the climber olympics and have different events. Just be creative and make stuff up.

Good luck!

Josh

lena_chita

Aug 14, 2009, 3:21 PM
Post #59 of 193 (3799 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wanderlustmd] A Guide's Life [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wanderlustmd wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:

JoshCool

You are all lame.

I am guiding a summer student through the intricacies of PCR right now. Now THAT is hardship.

marc801

Aug 14, 2009, 3:24 PM
Post #60 of 193 (3795 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] A Guide's Life [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
And I've only had "epics", if that's what you want to call them, on Cannon (two rain storms, one fall, and one long day).
Weren't you and Jermy the two gumbies that spent 3 days doing a 3 pitch easy aid choss tower in Moab?

Gmburns2000 wrote:
Having about 600 pitches or so spread over ten years under my belt,...
Wow. 60 pitches a year. A light day at the Gunks is maybe 6 pitches, so you're suggesting that 10 days a year is a wealth of experience?

Gmburns2000 wrote:
...four really bad days on Cannon really isn't indicative poor decision-making.
Isn't that 100% of your days on Cannon? And information about how best to deal with Cannon isn't exactly hard to come by, starting with all the good info in the guidebook.

Gmburns2000 wrote:
Sometimes shit happens,...
But it seems to happen inordinately frequently to you and Germy.

[Edit for spelling]

(This post was edited by marc801 on Aug 14, 2009, 3:27 PM)

gmggg

Aug 14, 2009, 3:29 PM
Post #61 of 193 (3779 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] A Guide's Life [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
wanderlustmd wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:

JoshCool

You are all lame.

I am guiding a summer student through the intricacies of PCR right now. Now THAT is hardship.

I bet your thermal cycler weighs the same as Jeremiah's Cannon pack.

wonderwoman

Post #62 of 193 (3779 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] A Guide's Life [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
...four really bad days on Cannon really isn't indicative poor decision-making.
Isn't that 100% of your days on Cannon? And information about how best to deal with Cannon isn't exactly hard to come by, starting with all the good info in the guidebook.

I dunno about that... I had an epic just getting to the base of WGR by following the description of one particular mis-guidebook.

olderic

Post #63 of 193 (3778 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
Jake, for context, which both of us have noted above (and so did my blog post on my recent Cannon trip), we took the extra stuff because we wanted to hike to the summit after climbing, and when we had tried to do that a few weeks before we got caught in a nasty rain storm without extra gear.
What "extra gear" does one possibly need for the gentle stroll to the summit (where you can take the tram down)?

In actuality it is more then a "gentle stroll" to the summit from the top out of most Cannon routes. Believe it or not you are only about 1/2 way there (from the road) and the rest typically involves considerable bushwacking. Also the tram typically stops running down around 5PM (a fact I learned the hard way 35 years ago after my partner convinced me that it would be easier to walk up and catch a ride down after we did Blockade (anyone remember that dear departed route?)). It also costs $$ which our poverty stricken heros might not have liked. Finally while it makes some sense to head for the summit from the Lakeview end it's pretty silly to do from the Whitney-G end. Although I doubt our well informed protagonists were aware of all this.

Gmburns2000

Aug 14, 2009, 3:41 PM
Post #64 of 193 (3758 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] A Guide's Life [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
marc801 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
Jake, for context, which both of us have noted above (and so did my blog post on my recent Cannon trip), we took the extra stuff because we wanted to hike to the summit after climbing, and when we had tried to do that a few weeks before we got caught in a nasty rain storm without extra gear.
What "extra gear" does one possibly need for the gentle stroll to the summit (where you can take the tram down)?

In actuality it is more then a "gentle stroll" to the summit from the top out of most Cannon routes. Believe it or not you are only about 1/2 way there (from the road) and the rest typically involves considerable bushwacking. Also the tram typically stops running down around 5PM (a fact I learned the hard way 35 years ago after my partner convinced me that it would be easier to walk up and catch a ride down after we did Blockade (anyone remember that dear departed route?)). It also costs $$ which our poverty stricken heros might not have liked. Finally while it makes some sense to head for the summit from the Lakeview end it's pretty silly to do from the Whitney-G end. Although I doubt our well informed protagonists were aware of all this.

We were not aware of this when we departed for WG. The bushwhacking was pretty much the worst part.

marc801

Aug 14, 2009, 3:48 PM
Post #65 of 193 (3745 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] A Guide's Life [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
In actuality it is more then a "gentle stroll" to the summit from the top out of most Cannon routes. Believe it or not you are only about 1/2 way there (from the road) and the rest typically involves considerable bushwacking.
True enough, but compared to 5th class climbing, a bit more like a stroll. Actually, an incredibly annoying stroll - there are far preferable routes to the summit other than from the top of the cliff. Most climbers manage to figure this out prior to their first route on Cannon.

olderic wrote:
Also the tram typically stops running down around 5PM (a fact I learned the hard way 35 years ago after my partner convinced me that it would be easier to walk up and catch a ride down after we did Blockade (anyone remember that dear departed route?)).
Blockade! Yes! I remember doing that pile of loose blocks and flakes and living to tell about it. Gripped out of our collective minds! It fell down about 3 years later.

Gmburns2000

Aug 14, 2009, 3:54 PM
Post #66 of 193 (3735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
And I've only had "epics", if that's what you want to call them, on Cannon (two rain storms, one fall, and one long day).
Weren't you and Jermy the two gumbies that spent 3 days doing a 3 pitch easy aid choss tower in Moab?

To call it three days as a bad thing really isn't fair (in fact, it was really a running joke between me, Jeremiah, and Magnus). The first day was really when we drove out there at 2pm or so, got out of the car, and realized it was too far away to even start hiking in that late in the day. We walked no more than three minutes from the car that first day in search of the road that goes toward the tower (the guidebook did not state that the road is now blocked, which we soon discovered).

The second day was entirely my fault. I was still suffering the lingering effects of an ankle sprain and this was my first time aiding anything, ever. Yeah it was a bolt ladder, but I was freaked by the quarter-inchers with wingnuts and I hadn't climbed at all in about three months (i.e. - I was slow due to a bum ankle, lack of aiding experience, and a complete lack of exercise the past few months).

The third day we got to the top no problem, with Jeremiah leading the way. Had I not tried aiding on the second day, and if either Jeremiah or Magnus had done all the leading from the beginning, it would not have taken more than a day.

In reply to:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
Having about 600 pitches or so spread over ten years under my belt,...
Wow. 60 pitches a year. A light day at the Gunks is maybe 6 pitches, so you're suggesting that 10 days a year is a wealth of experience?

I never said it was a wealth of experience. I said I've only had four "epics" in all of my experience. I also don't think any of those days on Cannon were really epics (getting caught in the rain twice, one fall, one long day).

To suggest that we're dangerous is, well, misinformed.

granite_grrl

Aug 14, 2009, 4:00 PM
Post #67 of 193 (3720 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
marc801 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
The second day was entirely my fault. I was still suffering the lingering effects of an ankle sprain and this was my first time aiding anything, ever. Yeah it was a bolt ladder, but I was freaked by the quarter-inchers with wingnuts and I hadn't climbed at all in about three months (i.e. - I was slow due to a bum ankle, lack of aiding experience, and a complete lack of exercise the past few months).
I hope someone called the whaaaaambulance for you.

gmggg

Aug 14, 2009, 4:03 PM
Post #68 of 193 (3712 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] A Guide's Life [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
marc801 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

Now that's just ridiculous. The Whaaambulance wouldn't be able to help at all. They needed the ROFLcopter

granite_grrl

Aug 14, 2009, 4:05 PM
Post #69 of 193 (3708 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gmggg] A Guide's Life [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gmggg wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

Now that's just ridiculous. The Whaaambulance wouldn't be able to help at all. They needed the ROFLcopter
Or at least some help to fix the cheesetittery.

marc801

Aug 14, 2009, 4:09 PM
Post #70 of 193 (3700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
To suggest that we're dangerous is, well, misinformed.
Incompetent then? Seems that several posters feel that Germy is potentially dangerous, at least in a guiding context. If not in direct action then in attitude.

marc801

Aug 14, 2009, 4:15 PM
Post #71 of 193 (3688 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] A Guide's Life [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
it's good advertising for the someone else's guiding business!!!!!Wink
Fixed that for ya!

jakedatc

Aug 14, 2009, 4:17 PM
Post #72 of 193 (3683 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jeremiah has already stated clearly that he is reckless and takes unnecessary risks.. if that's not dangerous i don't know what is.

alright.. maybe calling them epics is too strong. Gumby mistakes, some preventable, that most folks don't go yelling about from the roof tops.

Partner macherry

Aug 14, 2009, 4:27 PM
Post #73 of 193 (3663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
macherry wrote:
it's good advertising for the someone else's guiding business!!!!!Wink
Fixed that for ya!

thanks

Gmburns2000

Aug 14, 2009, 4:27 PM
Post #74 of 193 (3661 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] A Guide's Life [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
alright.. maybe calling them epics is too strong. Gumby mistakes, some preventable, that most folks don't go yelling about from the roof tops.

Maybe. Certainly the first two Cannon debacles were gumby mistakes. We wanted to summit after doing a climb, not by hiking, which is why we made the decisions we made (hiking to the top seemed boring). The third time wasn't a gumby mistake. Jen and I were essentially three pitches behind Tim K (Sr.) when she and I got caught in the rain on the way down. We talked about the weather with Tim for several minutes in the parking lot. We were originally there to do Moby, but based on Tim's advice we chose WG, which is what he was doing. I hardly think that changing plans and discussing plans with someone we both regard as highly competent as gumby or even incompetent.

The fourth time was a fall where I tweaked an ankle that caused us to retreat. I just don't see how my foot slipping is a gumby mistake.

Shouting from the rooftops - that's less shouting and more storytelling. When I write about my trips, its me putting my good and bad experiencs in them. I'd like to think I'm pretty balanced in what I write about.

Partner macherry

Aug 14, 2009, 4:31 PM
Post #75 of 193 (3650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
jakedatc wrote:

Maybe. Certainly the first two Cannon debacles were gumby mistakes. We wanted to summit after doing a climb, not by hiking, which is why we made the decisions we made (hiking to the top seemed boring). The third time wasn't a gumby mistake. Jen and I were essentially three pitches behind Tim K (Sr.) when she and I got caught in the rain on the way down. We talked about the weather with Tim for several minutes in the parking lot. We were originally there to do Moby, but based on Tim's advice we chose WG, which is what he was doing. I hardly think that changing plans and discussing plans with someone we both regard as highly competent as gumby or even incompetent.

The fourth time was a fall where I tweaked an ankle that caused us to retreat. I just don't see how my foot slipping is a gumby mistake.

Shouting from the rooftops - that's less shouting and more storytelling. When I write about my trips, its me putting my good and bad experiencs in them. I'd like to think I'm pretty balanced in what I write about.

okay fair enough, i don't think readers have a problem with TR's or epic climbing stories or fuckups. what's at issue here is a supposed guide winging and whining about "his guiding life". everything in his blog says "don't hire me, i'm incompetent."

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook