Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

bearbreeder

Feb 12, 2011, 2:11 AM
Post #126 of 151 (9557 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patto] Top-belay accident [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

love this discussion ... guess all of us RC bums know better than .... Wink

kelly cordes ...

It’s hard to imagine why anyone climbing a multi-pitch route these days would use a regular tuber or figure-8 on a multi-pitch route. Auto-blocking devices, an evolution from plaquettes or “magic plates,” previously used by savvy climbing guides to manage multiple clients, have rightly caught on with the mainstream. They’re exponentially more efficient, addictively so (I haven’t used a non-auto-blocker for a multi-pitch climb in 10 years), and they’re safer, too. They rappel and feed out rope to the leader just as smoothly, but automatically lock up if the second falls. This last part is where the magic comes – after leading, you can belay the second “hands-free,” just pulling up slack as needed, but not having to hold the rope when they stop to remove gear or work out a move. This allows you to get organized – and staying organized is key for multi-pitch efficiency.

colin haley ...

Belay Devices

Both climbers should absolutely use a belay device that is auto-locking for belaying the follower. Belaying straight off the anchor in this fashion is safer, and gives you time to eat, drink, and adjust clothing at a belay.

andy kirkpatrick

Magic tube

By far the best current belay device and descender is the versatile magic tube design, a cross between a magic plate and belay tube, best demonstrated by the Petzl Reverso and Reversino. The beauty of this design is its flexibility with three different frictional variations available to the user, allowing you to fine tune your rope control. Another important feature is the device’s ability to double as an ascender – a major advantage once it comes to problem solving. Although ascending the rope may seem a strange function for a descender, being able to get back up a rope is often the only way to get down!

wow! ... they must be idiots for using an autoblock device ... how did they ever do all the climbs they do ... Tongue

curt

Feb 12, 2011, 3:05 AM
Post #127 of 151 (9539 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] Top-belay accident [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:

kelly cordes ...

It’s hard to imagine why anyone climbing a multi-pitch route these days would use a regular tuber or figure-8 on a multi-pitch route. Auto-blocking devices, an evolution from plaquettes or “magic plates,” previously used by savvy climbing guides to manage multiple clients, have rightly caught on with the mainstream. They’re exponentially more efficient, addictively so (I haven’t used a non-auto-blocker for a multi-pitch climb in 10 years), and they’re safer, too. They rappel and feed out rope to the leader just as smoothly, but automatically lock up if the second falls. This last part is where the magic comes – after leading, you can belay the second “hands-free,” just pulling up slack as needed, but not having to hold the rope when they stop to remove gear or work out a move. This allows you to get organized – and staying organized is key for multi-pitch efficiency.

Yes, he seems very safety conscious.

http://kellycordes.wordpress.com/2010/02/05/bad-breaks/

Hitch your wagon to any star you like, dude.

Curt

bearbreeder

Feb 12, 2011, 3:28 AM
Post #128 of 151 (9525 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Top-belay accident [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:

Curt

sh!t happens ... or are ya saying they are all unsafe .... and autoblock devices as well Wink

the safest way is to not climb at all Tongue

vegastradguy

Feb 12, 2011, 3:42 AM
Post #129 of 151 (9519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the American Mountain Guides Association teaches as a standard of operation that a tube device in guide mode (autolock) is a hands-free device that you can walk way from without tying off.

I was taught this in my rock instructor course and when i balked at the idea, i was chided and more or less had my concerns ignored and/or dismissed.

there are few hard and fast rules in roped climbing, but there is one that i do not break- my brake hand does not come off the rope while belaying. ever.

(This post was edited by vegastradguy on Feb 12, 2011, 4:47 AM)

jt512

Feb 12, 2011, 3:46 AM
Post #130 of 151 (9516 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] Top-belay accident [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

vegastradguy wrote:
[T]here is one [rule] that i do not break- my brake hand does not come off the rope . . .

Gotta wonder what percentage of rc.com users could spell that sentence correctly, much less understand its importance.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Feb 12, 2011, 3:49 AM)

socalclimber

Feb 12, 2011, 4:05 AM
Post #131 of 151 (9504 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
curt wrote:

Curt

sh!t happens ... or are ya saying they are all unsafe .... and autoblock devices as well Wink

the safest way is to not climb at all Tongue

The devices are not unsafe. It's the people who use them.

Belaying either off the anchor or having a redirect off the anchor is useful if you ever need to escape the belay. It's just easier.

I have had a HUGE problem with the Reverso and the ATC Guide in beginners hands since they came out. The people that are using them largely do not seem to understand the systems. It's just a "cool" shiny object. Both are fine devices when used by people who know what they are doing.

These style devices are specific tools to preform specific functions.

jt512

Feb 12, 2011, 4:08 AM
Post #132 of 151 (9501 views)
Shortcut

Re: [socalclimber] Top-belay accident [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

socalclimber wrote:
I have had a HUGE problem with the Reverso and the ATC Guide in beginners hands since they came out. The people that are using them largely do not seem to understand the systems. It's just a "cool" shiny object.

And in the case of the ATC–Guide, a cool shiny object with the word "guide" in it. What more could a beginner want?

Jay

bearbreeder

Feb 12, 2011, 4:31 AM
Post #133 of 151 (9490 views)
Shortcut

Re: [socalclimber] Top-belay accident [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

socalclimber wrote:

Belaying either off the anchor or having a redirect off the anchor is useful if you ever need to escape the belay. It's just easier.

I have had a HUGE problem with the Reverso and the ATC Guide in beginners hands since they came out. The people that are using them largely do not seem to understand the systems. It's just a "cool" shiny object. Both are fine devices when used by people who know what they are doing.

i think its fair to say that ANY device is dangerous in the hands of someone who doesnt know how and is not practiced ... including the very basic ATC ... which is the original drift of this thread

the thing about the autoblocks is that they can simply be used as an ATC ... so i dont quite get the bias some people here have against them ...

you get the bonus of autobloc, high/low friction, use as an ascender, etc ...

and the new ones dont weight that much more anyways

there are quite a few biases IMO on RC ... that people outside just dont bother with ... maybe were all gonna die because of it ... Smile

patto

Feb 12, 2011, 4:45 AM
Post #134 of 151 (9478 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

vegastradguy wrote:
the American Mountain Guides Association teaches as a standard of operation that a tube device in guide mode (autolock) is a hands-free device that you can walk way from without tying off.

I was taught this in my rock instructor course and when i balked at the idea, i was chided and more or less had my concernes ignored and/or dismissed.

there are few hard and fast rules in roped climbing, but there is one that i do not break- my brake hand does not come off the rope while belaying. ever.

So you think that you brake hand is stronger than 80kg of force pinching the rope?

It isn't about breaking rules its about knowing the operation of your equipment.

socalclimber

Feb 12, 2011, 4:59 AM
Post #135 of 151 (9471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
socalclimber wrote:

i think its fair to say that ANY device is dangerous in the hands of someone who doesnt know how and is not practiced ... including the very basic ATC ... which is the original drift of this thread

While I agree with this statement, I disagree with the over all sentiment. The basic belay device is one thing, but when it comes to devices like the reverso or the atc guide, it's quite another.

notapplicable

Feb 12, 2011, 6:08 AM
Post #136 of 151 (9456 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:

kelly cordes ...

colin haley ...

Belay Devices

Both climbers should absolutely use a belay device that is auto-locking for belaying the follower. Belaying straight off the anchor in this fashion is safer, and gives you time to eat, drink, and adjust clothing at a belay.

andy kirkpatrick

Magic tube

By far the best current belay device and descender is the versatile magic tube design, a cross between a magic plate and belay tube, best demonstrated by the Petzl Reverso and Reversino. The beauty of this design is its flexibility with three different frictional variations available to the user, allowing you to fine tune your rope control. Another important feature is the device’s ability to double as an ascender – a major advantage once it comes to problem solving. Although ascending the rope may seem a strange function for a descender, being able to get back up a rope is often the only way to get down!

wow! ... they must be idiots for using an autoblock device ... how did they ever do all the climbs they do ... Tongue

I think those are unwise endorsements for any belay device. Those guys are highly experienced climbers with solid and proven partners. They have also done and seen enough to make an informed decision about something as fundamentally abhorrent as routinely releasing control of the brake strand of the rope.

A new or inexperienced climber very well may not understand the implications of following that advice and unfortunately it will not be them paying the price for it, it will be their even less experienced second.

patto

Feb 12, 2011, 6:18 AM
Post #137 of 151 (9452 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Top-belay accident [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
A new or inexperienced climber very well may not understand the implications of following that advice and unfortunately it will not be them paying the price for it, it will be their even less experienced second.

So what are the implications of following that advice on a correctly configured plaquette device in autoblock mode?

What is this price you speak of?

bearbreeder

Feb 12, 2011, 6:43 AM
Post #138 of 151 (9447 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Top-belay accident [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:

I think those are unwise endorsements for any belay device. Those guys are highly experienced climbers with solid and proven partners. They have also done and seen enough to make an informed decision about something as fundamentally abhorrent as routinely releasing control of the brake strand of the rope.

same with any other equipment ... the onus to learn how to use it properly is on the user, same as a gri gri, prussics, anchors, cams, nuts, and climbing itself ...

take away the top and bottom holes ... and what is the atc guide? ... just an atc xp ... as long as someone knows not to use it in autobloc without proper instruction and practice, i dont see a difference

we'd better add the american alpine institute to that list of unwise endorsements ....

In the late 90s, climbers and guides began to use autoblocking devices to belay a second. These devices allow one to belay two ropes simultaneously directly off the anchor. If the second falls, the anchor feels the weight, not the belayer. The best part of these devices were that they automatically locked up, immediately arresting the second's fall.

Today most climbers use one of two of these autoblocking devices that have the market cornered. The Black Diamond ATC Guide or the Petzl Reverso 3 should be considered standard equipment on every climber's rack.

wil gadd ...

I've used the ATC guide on frozen ropes of all diameters, all kinds of half/twin ropes, and a wide variety of single ropes. It's the best tool for a multi-pitch environment currently on the market.

tommy caldwell ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0YUseORhhc

craig lubben's beginners book ... god rest his soul

and tons of others ... except for some RC.com folks naturally ...

as BD would say ...

(This post was edited by bearbreeder on Feb 12, 2011, 6:44 AM)

Partner j_ung

Feb 12, 2011, 3:46 PM
Post #139 of 151 (9398 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

vegastradguy wrote:

I was taught this in my rock instructor course and when i balked at the idea, i was chided and more or less had my concerns ignored and/or dismissed.

I belay the second in guide mode almost exclusively. When I go hands-free, I do so only with a catastrophe knot in the brake, and I still check the tension every three or four seconds to make sure the climber's okay. It's still nice and fast, and I really see zero reason for me to not belay that way. Plus, I really like to say the word "guide." Guide, guide, guide, guide, guide, guide, guide, guide — whee!

John, when we climb together, if you prefer I not belay that way, I'm fine with it. I'm equally adept with a Munter on the anchor, the belay device on my harness, or if it comes to it, assuming a solid seat and hip belaying. No worries.

However, I'm certain I can give you whatever you need from a belay the way I do it. Need to lower back to a ledge? You suck Tongue, but no problem. Need to reverse a few moves quickly? I can give you enough slack immediately with zero rigging. Want to lower the whole pitch? Fun! Want to hang dog? I got your back. Anchor sucks and better to not weight it? Scary... and I won't be in guide mode, but okay, fine. Slurp pho till the wee hours of the morn? HELL YES.

The point is, everybody else, I can do everything with my guide-mode (woo!) belay device that some people here assume I can't (except for keeping my climber's weight off the anchor, in which case I won't be in guide (yes!) mode anyway). And I can do it quick enough that you won't even know the difference.

(This post was edited by j_ung on Feb 12, 2011, 3:49 PM)

Partner j_ung

Feb 12, 2011, 3:51 PM
Post #140 of 151 (9396 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Top-belay accident [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

Guide!

vegastradguy

Feb 12, 2011, 6:18 PM
Post #141 of 151 (9371 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
vegastradguy wrote:

I belay the second in guide mode almost exclusively. When I go hands-free, I do so only with a catastrophe knot in the brake, and I still check the tension every three or four seconds to make sure the climber's okay. It's still nice and fast, and I really see zero reason for me to not belay that way. Plus, I really like to say the word "guide." Guide, guide, guide, guide, guide, guide, guide, guide — whee!

you and i take the same approach- when i do use the guide in guide mode, my hand is on the brake and if i need to take it off, i tie off the brake strand and clip it to the anchor- this is perfectly reasonable and safe. its the not tying the brake strand off that bothers me- an unattended belay is a dangerous belay.

and shit, i was hoping for a foot belay from you, jay- i mean, if we're going to climb together, it might as well be exciting!

healyje

Feb 12, 2011, 10:54 PM
Post #142 of 151 (9339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Aside form the absolute miracle any of us managed to climb at all before there were 'guides' making money off of climbing - they only set minimum 'safety' standards for those offering commercial services. I put very little stock in anything they say collectively other than as simply an expression of opinion and one aimed at commercial services and insurance concerns at that.

Now that alpine climbers might prefer 'guide mode' I get, but otherwise I think it's just another thing that will encourage the general demographic to become complacent, distracted, and further abdicate some of their responsibilities to a device. True, probably not as many drops as the with grigris, but only because most folks will eventually dog their way up one way or another and won't need to be lowered.

The #1 imperative in climbing today should be STFUAB and this is just another thing that encourages the exact opposite.

socalclimber

Feb 13, 2011, 12:33 AM
Post #143 of 151 (9319 views)
Shortcut

Re: [healyje] Top-belay accident [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

healyje wrote:
Aside form the absolute miracle any of us managed to climb at all before there were 'guides' making money off of climbing - they only set minimum 'safety' standards for those offering commercial services. I put very little stock in anything they say collectively other than as simply an expression of opinion and one aimed at commercial services and insurance concerns at that.

Now that alpine climbers might prefer 'guide mode' I get, but otherwise I think it's just another thing that will encourage the general demographic to become complacent, distracted, and further abdicate some of their responsibilities to a device. True, probably not as many drops as the with grigris, but only because most folks will eventually dog their way up one way or another and won't need to be lowered.

The #1 imperative in climbing today should be STFUAB and this is just another thing that encourages the exact opposite.

I really have to agree with this. What worries me about these types of devices is that they add to the complexity of the systems as well. I really like "the simpler the better" attitude. All's it takes is a the last few pitches of a long route, your both tired, brain not working well, and your busy playing with something that requires extra attention.

I'm not saying they are bad devices, but they are attracting the wrong audience.

justroberto

Feb 13, 2011, 12:35 AM
Post #144 of 151 (9315 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Top-belay accident [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
socalclimber wrote:
I have had a HUGE problem with the Reverso and the ATC Guide in beginners hands since they came out. The people that are using them largely do not seem to understand the systems. It's just a "cool" shiny object.

And in the case of the ATC–Guide, a cool shiny object with the word "guide" in it. What more could a beginner want?

Jay
A grigri.

patto

Feb 13, 2011, 4:11 AM
Post #145 of 151 (9284 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justroberto] Top-belay accident [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a little confused by all this commentary saying that these devices are complex. Crazy

They take 10seconds to setup and another 2s to check if they are operating as intended. They are certainly not more complex or anymore likely to cause complacency than conventional tube devices.

Oh and tube devices cause complacency we should all go back to the hip belay. Wink

The notion that they are attracting the wrong audience and should be for guides is false and only inspired by the misnomer of the Black Diamond naming.

(This post was edited by patto on Feb 13, 2011, 4:12 AM)

billcoe_

Feb 13, 2011, 4:13 AM
Post #146 of 151 (9283 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justroberto] Top-belay accident [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When I saw the first page a while ago, one post alone fully explained this and did so corectly. Yet this thred continued for 7 or 8 pages.

HERE'S WHAT YA NEED TO KNOW:
Caused by a Noob who needed practice. Better versions follow.

healyje wrote:
I'm doing so because the the specifics are largely irrelevant to the lesson the OP should be taking away (basic pilot error) and all the the rest seems to be confusing them by reinforcing their assumption the lack of a different device or technique was the problem. Bottom line is you should be able to lower someone all day with the configuration they were using, that they couldn't was the issue both in their judgment and skill level relative to that choice.

healyje wrote:
I don't belay off anchors ever and dislike redirecting most of the time. When I hear that's the norm then my guess is people are doing a lot of dogging and that's the real reason for belaying off the anchor.

But this incident has nothing to do with either belaying off the anchor or redirecting - this is strictly a case of someone belaying in a circumstance and situation where they shouldn't have been belaying. They most likely just brought the two rope strands together in front of them and gravity did the rest. From the sound of it both D and A were in over their heads and experience level for this incident to have occurred as it did.

See? Noobs!

shockabuku

Feb 13, 2011, 3:52 PM
Post #147 of 151 (9230 views)
Shortcut

Re: [healyje] Top-belay accident [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

healyje wrote:
STFUAB

???

I'm just a n00b after all.Frown

healyje

Feb 13, 2011, 4:56 PM
Post #148 of 151 (9214 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Top-belay accident [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Shut The F#ck Up And Belay

notapplicable

Feb 17, 2011, 5:38 AM
Post #149 of 151 (9058 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patto] Top-belay accident [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
notapplicable wrote:

So what are the implications of following that advice on a correctly configured plaquette device in autoblock mode?

What is this price you speak of?

Sorry I missed this earlier.

What I am talking about is the notion that belaying is, or can be made to be an activity that requires such a low level of attention as to be virtually "hands free". Belaying is THE single most important activity you perform while climbing, the severity and complexity of which a large number of people continually underestimate. For high profile and (presumably) respected climbers to make those type of statements about any belay device/method just does not sit well with me. That mentality bleeds over too quickly to all other belay related activities. Just look at how some people (a lot, actually) handle a Gri Gri.

There was an accident reported here 1-2 years ago where a relatively inexperienced second continued to climb while the belayer failed to take in an adequate amount of slack and the second ended up falling and hitting a ledge. While I put most of the blame on the climber, if your hands are not on the rope, you are not fully engaged in the act of safeguarding your partners life. That is not an ok standard to promote.

Thing is, my partners and I do stuff that I would NEVER recommend as normal or acceptable practices because we understand one anothers skill level and threshold for acceptable risk. All partners develop that dynamic naturally but just because you and your partner are comfortable going "hands free" with a belay device/method, does not mean it is a good standard for that device/method. Just like that stupid "Screw down so you don't screw up" meme caught on, so do other practices that make little to no sense. Like belaying "hands free", for example.

notapplicable

Feb 17, 2011, 5:42 AM
Post #150 of 151 (9054 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
Guide!

*Swoon*

You can guide me any day, Jay.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Accident and Incident Analysis

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?