Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Bouldering:
The V0 Dilema for New Climbers and its Effects on the Rest of Us!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

jt512

Feb 11, 2011, 3:47 AM
Post #201 of 241 (12135 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] The V0 Dilema for New Climbers and its Effects on the Rest of Us! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
jt512 wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
jt512 wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
curt wrote:
jt512 wrote:
...The bottom line is that the more fine-grained the difficulty scale, the more information you have about the difficulty, and thus the more useful is the grading scale. This applies whether you are climbing inside or out, though perhaps for somewhat different reasons...

That's absolute nonsense. You have no more real information about the difficulty of the problems, only more disagreement about the ratings. Even in a place where the "V" scale is extremely well entrenched (Hueco Tanks) I could take you to a dozen V2 problems and you would swear some of them are easier than V2 and that some of them are V4 or V5.

Curt

I agree. I think this is why even outdoor, where conventional V grades are used, there is usually additional "color-coding"-- at least in the newer guidebooks that I have seen-- that compresses the V-scale into, essentially, 4-category scale.

Example: Stone Fort guidebook, and I think, the new HP40 guide, shows problems in V0-V3 range labeled green, V4-V7 yellow, V8-V12 red, and unsent projects in black. I've seen the same approach-- though with different color designations, in other guidebooks.

No, they just use the colors so you can get a quick sense of the difficulty of the area. There is a huge difference in difficulty between 4 V-grades. Huge.

Jay

I know that this is the reason why the use color-coding. But it works because as a rough estimate of where I want to go in a new area I start with a window of ~4 grades. And while on average there is, of course, a definite trend of difficulty increase with increased V grade, in practice on a particular problem it is +/- 2 V grades of the grade that was assigned to it.

The only reason I am bringing it up is that in practice in a gym it doesn't make that much of a difference whether the routes are graded V0-V15, or easy/medium/hard.

At the end of the day, if I need to pick 4 problems for 4x4, I will go by how they feel to me-- e.g. I onsighted them, but barely. It doesn't matter if they are called medium, or if they are called V2, V3, V1 and V4.

That is an admission that the easy/medium/hard scale is inadequate, because you shouldn't have to spend time sampling problems to figure out their difficulty.

And what if you want to do a VIR session where you need 8 V1s, 4 V2s, 2 V3s, and 1 V4? You're totally screwed. Good luck actually having the time and energy left to do the planned workout after the time and energy you have to spend just figuring out which problems to do.

Well, for doing a VIR session, you are usually supposed to pick the problems you have done before, you aren't onsighting, so you already know what they feel like, and you don't have to figure it out before doing a VIR session.

I include a mix of problems I know and new problems, as does Doug (see his point #4).

In reply to:
And even if the problems are rated V1/2/3/4, if one of the V2s feels like V4 to me, I am not going to pick it for a VIR as a V2, just because a guy who put the tape on the wall called it V2.

jt512 wrote:
Furthermore, if you go by feel, how do you know that the problem you're working is actually the difficulty level you want to work? Does the problem feel hard because it's really that hard, or because you're just missing a trick.

I don't know. But how would it be different if hte problem were labeled medium-, and I was still struggling on it and thinking that it is more like medium+/hard-. I still wouldn't know if it were b/c the problem was not graded accurately, or if it was bc I was just missing a key beta, or because the problem relied on a skill that happened to be my weak link.

jt512 wrote:
And how do you judge progress over time without a suitable metric? Are you getting better, or are you stuck at the same level? How do you know, if all you're going by is "feel"? How do you goal set? And so on?

In a gym without V scale I would judge progress by being able to do a problem that i couldn't do a month ago--regardless of what it is labeled.

And if all those problems, month after month had the same V-grade, then you would start to get suspicious that you weren't improving. But if they're all rated "medium," you don't know much at all, because "medium" could be anything from, say, V2 to V7.

In reply to:
Or by being able to do most medium problems onsight or after couple tries, whereas a year or two ago most medium problems took more than couple tries and were hardly ever onsighted.

Sure, over a course of year or two you'd get feedback; however, I want feedback on a week-to-week basis.

In reply to:
When setting a goal I think more in terms of specific problems, than a target grade level. If I set a goal of climbing a V6, and I walk around the gym trying every single climb that is labeled V6, until I find one that is maybe doable, and work on it, until I get it, is it any better/different than setting a goal of climbing every medium problem? Or a particular medium problem that is giving me trouble?

Yes, it's different. First of all, for a given size gym, there would be four times as many "medium" problems as V6s. Secondly, you still don't know by any external metric how hard the "medium" problem you're having trouble with is. On the other hand, if month by month, your average V-grade is going up, you can be pretty sure your bouldering is improving.

In reply to:
IF there was a way to grade problems completely objectively, and IF the objective difficulty level was the same for everyone, yes, a system that has more gradations in it would be more precise.

The V-system is more precise than a 3- or 5-level grading system. You're dividing a fixed range into smaller increments. That's the definition of "more precise."

In reply to:
But since the grading is not that precise, you can get away with coarser system for majority of people.

That makes no sense, because, as I tried to explain in response to Curt, reducing the number of categories increases the imprecision. I'll try again, although I can do little more than repeat myself. Say that the grades in your gym are off by up to +/– two V-grades, regardless of the rating system that is actually used. Then if the gym uses V-grades, a route rated V5 would have the highest likelihood of being V5 (say a 40% chance), but there would be a good chance that it also might be V4 or V6 (say 20% each), and there is a small chance that it could be V3 or V7 (say 10% each).

Now assume that the gym uses your proposed three-category scale (easy, medium, hard), and that the "medium" category is intended to span V3–V6. However, due to the above imprecision in rating (±2 V-grades) the category will also include problems as easy as V1 and as hard as V8. Sorry if I don't show my math, but using the same assumptions above, there will be an 80% chance that a route will be a true "medium" (ie, V3–V6), with an average 20% chance per V-grade in that range (so the rating gives you no information whatsoever where in that range it lies); there will be a 7.5% chance each that the route will be either V2 or V7, and there will be 2.5% chance each that the route will be V1 or V8.

Clearly, using fewer categories greatly magnifies the imprecision in the rating scale—a foregone conclusion, if you think about it.

The bottom line is that for efficient training you have to be able to quantitatively measure your progress over not just the long term, but the short term. If I'm doing two VIR sessions a week, I want to be able to set a goal like "today I want to remove one problem from the bottom rung of last session's pyramid and add one problem to the top rung." That's impossible to do if all your rungs have the same rating.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Feb 11, 2011, 5:16 AM)

jt512

Feb 11, 2011, 3:52 AM
Post #202 of 241 (12130 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jomagam] The V0 Dilema for New Climbers and its Effects on the Rest of Us! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

jomagam wrote:
In reply to:
Does the problem feel hard because it's really that hard, or because you're just missing a trick.

If I'm missing a trick on a V0 that makes it as hard as a V2, then it's like I'm doing a V2, isn't it ?

It means you're climbing a V0 badly.

Jay

jomagam

Feb 11, 2011, 5:50 AM
Post #203 of 241 (12106 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] The V0 Dilema for New Climbers and its Effects on the Rest of Us! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
jomagam wrote:
In reply to:
Does the problem feel hard because it's really that hard, or because you're just missing a trick.

If I'm missing a trick on a V0 that makes it as hard as a V2, then it's like I'm doing a V2, isn't it ?

Jay

For your CIR training purposes that's a V2.

curt

Feb 11, 2011, 5:52 AM
Post #204 of 241 (12105 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] The V0 Dilema for New Climbers and its Effects on the Rest of Us! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
...The V-system is more precise than a 3- or 5-level grading system. You're dividing a fixed range into smaller increments. That's the definition of "more precise..."

Well, this is where I believe you are confused. Dividing a meter into millimeters as opposed to centimeters will indeed result in the ability to measure lengths with higher precision. Climbing ratings are sufficiently subjective however (and I have already given you a few examples of this) that similarly dividing the difficulty ratings scale more finely will not result in a similar improvement in difficulty measurement.

Curt

1904climber

Feb 11, 2011, 8:14 AM
Post #205 of 241 (12091 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
jomagam wrote:
In reply to:

Jay

or taking an easy problem and making it challenging to you.
I climbed a 5.6 a few weeks ago that was nothing but jugs.
I made it harder for me by not using any of those holds. only using crimps and when i could i would jam a finger or hand into a crack.
I would call it a 5.9 the way i climbed it.

redlude97

Feb 11, 2011, 8:29 AM
Post #206 of 241 (12085 views)
Shortcut

Re: [1904climber] The V0 Dilema for New Climbers and its Effects on the Rest of Us! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

1904climber wrote:
jt512 wrote:
jomagam wrote:
In reply to:

Jay

or taking an easy problem and making it challenging to you.
I climbed a 5.6 a few weeks ago that was nothing but jugs.
I made it harder for me by not using any of those holds. only using crimps and when i could i would jam a finger or hand into a crack.
I would call it a 5.9 the way i climbed it.
Taking a route/problem and limiting the holds available to make the problem harder is very different than doing a problem using all available holds but not using the correct climbing movement(knowing the trick).

lena_chita

Feb 11, 2011, 3:01 PM
Post #207 of 241 (12069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
IF there was a way to grade problems completely objectively, and IF the objective difficulty level was the same for everyone, yes, a system that has more gradations in it would be more precise.

The V-system is more precise than a 3- or 5-level grading system. You're dividing a fixed range into smaller increments. That's the definition of "more precise."

In reply to:
But since the grading is not that precise, you can get away with coarser system for majority of people.

That makes no sense, because, as I tried to explain in response to Curt, reducing the number of categories increases the imprecision. I'll try again, although I can do little more than repeat myself. Say that the grades in your gym are off by up to +/– two V-grades, regardless of the rating system that is actually used. Then if the gym uses V-grades, a route rated V5 would have the highest likelihood of being V5 (say a 40% chance), but there would be a good chance that it also might be V4 or V6 (say 20% each), and there is a small chance that it could be V3 or V7 (say 10% each).

Now assume that the gym uses your proposed three-category scale (easy, medium, hard), and that the "medium" category is intended to span V3–V6. However, due to the above imprecision in rating (±2 V-grades) the category will also include problems as easy as V1 and as hard as V8. Sorry if I don't show my math, but using the same assumptions above, there will be an 80% chance that a route will be a true "medium" (ie, V3–V6), with an average 20% chance per V-grade in that range (so the rating gives you no information whatsoever where in that range it lies); there will be a 7.5% chance each that the route will be either V2 or V7, and there will be 2.5% chance each that the route will be V1 or V8.

Yes, I understand your reasoning, though in practice I have never seen a "medium" route that would feel like a V1 or VB, so the percentages are off.

Also, don't forget that most gyms that use easy/medium/hard grading use +/- to break up the scale, essentially, into more categories.

jt512 wrote:
The bottom line is that for efficient training you have to be able to quantitatively measure your progress over not just the long term, but the short term.

If I'm doing two VIR sessions a week, I want to be able to set a goal like "today I want to remove one problem from the bottom rung of last session's pyramid and add one problem to the top rung." That's impossible to do if all your rungs have the same rating.

Jay

No, it isn't impossible, or even particularly difficult, because, once again, you can rank the problems in your own subjective order of difficulty, and then do the same thing: "The first VIR session of the week I am going to pick the 4 easiest problems on my list for the bottom rung, picking problems 1-4. The second VIR session I am going to remove problem 1 and add problem 5, so my bottom rung would be problems 2-5, instead of 1-4"

As I said, I am not arguing against using a v scale at the gym. But neither do I have any poblem with gyms that don't use the V scale.

In the past 7 weeks I have climbed in 5 different gyms. Two gyms use V scale (Brooklyn Boulders in NYC and Vertical Adventures in Columbus). One gym uses easy/medium/hard rating with +/- (CRG, my home gym), one gym (YSU rec wall) had problems labeled for a competition, with arbitrary numbers ranging from 50 to 500, and one gym that does not grade problems at all (Kinetic Columbus). And the presence or absence of little writing on the tape saying " v4" didn't really impair my climbing experience that much.

A very small minority of gym climbers is specifically training according to any sort of regimented plan, something like is outlined in SCC. Gyms cater to their clientelle.

jt512

Feb 11, 2011, 5:50 PM
Post #208 of 241 (12036 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] The V0 Dilema for New Climbers and its Effects on the Rest of Us! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
jt512 wrote:
lena_chita wrote:

In reply to:

Yes, I understand your reasoning, though in practice I have never seen a "medium" route that would feel like a V1 or VB, so the percentages are off.

First of all, I wrote V1 or V8, not VB. Secondly, yes, I assumed a probability distribution that used convenient round percentages, and was probably a bit too broad. However, another reason you might not see problems at the boundaries of the difficulty levels is that the actual distribution of within-category difficulty may be too narrow. In my gym it is obvious that the route setters have a certain perception of what a V2, V3, etc. problem should be like, and they set problems according to those perceptions. This causes quantitative gaps and qualitative differences between V-grades that make it difficult for a climber to progress and "break into" the next level. The only saving grace is that the setters sometimes make errors and so there are usually some intended V3s that are actually V2+'s, and so on. Now if this tendency to target problems to predefined categories carries over to gyms that use scales with fewer categories, then the gaps between difficulty levels would be even greater, making progress even more difficult.

In reply to:
Also, don't forget that most gyms that use easy/medium/hard grading use +/- to break up the scale, essentially, into more categories.

Well, I could not have forgotten that because I didn't know it; and if I had known it, I wouldn't have had nearly as much to say about it, because (1) the use of pluses and minuses to augment a three-point scale would be another admission that a 3-point scale is inadequate, and (2) the gym would just be recreating the V-scale and calling it something different. In fact, the scale we've been discussing would have nine categories, which is the exact number of categories that my gym, which uses v-grades, has.

In reply to:
jt512 wrote:
The bottom line is that for efficient training you have to be able to quantitatively measure your progress over not just the long term, but the short term.

If I'm doing two VIR sessions a week, I want to be able to set a goal like "today I want to remove one problem from the bottom rung of last session's pyramid and add one problem to the top rung." That's impossible to do if all your rungs have the same rating.

Jay

No, it isn't impossible, or even particularly difficult, because, once again, you can rank the problems in your own subjective order of difficulty, and then do the same thing

First of all, it's inefficient to have to obtain this subjective knowledge in the first place. How do you even get it? I never have an unstructured gym session. VIR is what I do 90% of the time. Practically the only problems I ever touch are the ones on my pyramid. When I want to add a problem to my pyramid, I don't want to and don't have to sample a bunch of problems. I want to look at a frackin' piece of colored tape and put the problem on my pyramid, with medium-term goal of being to do 80% of the "red" problems in my gym within three tries. Then, I know by an objective metric that I am up to the "red" standard in the gym, a level I wasn't at three months previous. Which brings up my next point: without rating how do you know whether you're getting better, stagnating, or even getting worse over the short to medium term? Maybe for three months all the problems that feel hard for you are V3 and you're not getting anywhere. I'd like to know that, and I don't see how you could without feedback from a valid rating scale or from better climbers in the gym (which would just be a surrogate for a rating scale, anyway).

In reply to:
And the presence or absence of little writing on the tape saying " v4" didn't really impair my climbing experience that much.

It sure impairs mine. Without ratings I have no objective metric by which to target workouts or to judge progress, and I have to waste training time sampling problems to estimate their difficulty. I find a lack of ratings to be extremely frustrating. I quit my previous gym because they stopped rating their problems.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Feb 12, 2011, 3:56 AM)

olderic

Feb 11, 2011, 5:59 PM
Post #209 of 241 (12028 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robx] The V0 Dilema for New Climbers and its Effects on the Rest of Us! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

robx wrote:
It's not any different than going to a gym and deciding that today you're going to life x amount of weight instead of xx amount of weight

It is different. Weight can be accurately measured. Same with time and distance if you are into some cardio thing where you use those to quantify your workouts. 5 kgs is the same world wide. Ditto 5 clicks. Climbing grades are not accurately measurable and vary widely from place to place and even in the same place. You have to let the grades go and operate by feeling - at least if you are doing it for training .

1904climber

Feb 11, 2011, 6:35 PM
Post #210 of 241 (12014 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redlude97] The V0 Dilema for New Climbers and its Effects on the Rest of Us! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

redlude97 wrote:
Taking a route/problem and limiting the holds available to make the problem harder is very different than doing a problem using all available holds but not using the correct climbing movement(knowing the trick).
oic, learn something new every day.
i had no idea what "trick" meant

jomagam

Feb 11, 2011, 6:43 PM
Post #211 of 241 (12006 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] The V0 Dilema for New Climbers and its Effects on the Rest of Us! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
robx wrote:
It's not any different than going to a gym and deciding that today you're going to life x amount of weight instead of xx amount of weight

It is different. Weight can be accurately measured. Same with time and distance if you are into some cardio thing where you use those to quantify your workouts. 5 kgs is the same world wide. Ditto 5 clicks. Climbing grades are not accurately measurable and vary widely from place to place and even in the same place. You have to let the grades go and operate by feeling - at least if you are doing it for training .

OP clearly is not doing the indoor climbing for training, so for him it makes sense to have a more granular scale, just like outside. We're using the gym very differently.
99% of the people in our gym just work on problems at their limit. Usually there are too many people in the bouldering area to do any of the time sensitive training from SCC without waiting around.

spikeddem

Feb 11, 2011, 6:53 PM
Post #212 of 241 (12001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
lena_chita wrote:

In reply to:

Well, I could not have forgotten that because I didn't know it; and if I had known it, I wouldn't have had nearly as much to say about it, because (1) the use of pluses and minus to augment a three-point scale would be another admission that a 3-point scale is inadequate, and (2) the gym would just be recreating the V-scale and calling it something different. In fact, the scale we've been discussing would have nine categories, which is the exact number of categories that my gym, which uses v-grades, has.

Jay

+1, exactly what I said earlier in the thread about +/-.

lena_chita

Feb 12, 2011, 4:08 AM
Post #213 of 241 (11951 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
In my gym it is obvious that the route setters have a certain perception of what a V2, V3, etc. problem should be like, and they set problems according to those perceptions. This causes quantitative gaps and qualitative differences between V-grades that make it difficult for a climber to progress and "break into" the next level. The only saving grace is that the setters sometimes make errors and so there are usually some intended V3s that are actually V2+'s, and so on. Now if this tendency to target problems to predefined categories carries over to gyms that use scales with fewer categories, then the gaps between difficulty levels would be even greater, making progress even more difficult.

I understand your reasoning and I have seen the quantitative/qualitative gap between the V grades both in gyms that use that scale, and outside. I had not felt that the gap is any bigger in gyms that use the easy/medium/hard scale. And the reason for it is maybe that the route-setters, even in gyms that use easy/medium/hard scale, are actually experienced climbers who are familiar with V scale, so they calibrate things based on V scale mentally even if that is not how the routes get labeled.

Since my home gym uses easy/medium/hard approach, and therefore it is what I had started on, as a complete n00b, I am maybe just used to it. I started on easy, and moved through easy/medium, medium, and now medium/hard and hard.

jt512 wrote:
First of all, it's inefficient to have to obtain this subjective knowledge in the first place. How do you even get it?

How I get to it? Easily. I need to warm-up right? So after doing some general ROM moves and 20 min of ARC traversing I jump on any new easy problem that might have been put up since my last visit, and onsight it. There wouldn't be too many new ones -- maybe one or two. Then I do every new medium problem that might have been put up-- again, there aren't many, maybe one or two, and I usually either onsight it or do it in couple tries. At the end of it I am both warmed up AND have gained knowledge of new problems that are likely to be of the level I would need for a bottom couple rungs of a VIR circuit.

jt512 wrote:
I never have an unstructured gym session. VIR is what I do 90% of the time. Practically the only problems I ever touch are the ones on my pyramid. When I want to add a problem to my pyramid, I don't want to and don't have to sample a bunch of problems. I want to look at a frackin' piece of colored tape and put the problem on my pyramid, with medium-term goal of being to do 80% of the "red" problems in my gym within three tries. Then, I know by an objective metric that I am up to the "red" standard in the gym, a level I wasn't at three months previous.

I think this discussion is by now well beyond the original thread and belongs in technique and training.

I admit that my training right now is not very regimented due to other more pressing problems going on in my life. Still, I am not sure why you do VIR so extensively, and hardly anything else. Usually I plan on having at least one of the weekly training session to incorporate VIR/CIR, and another session incorporating threshold boudering. And that would be the time when I would be trying a lot of new problems and thus gaining knowledge of them.

Sometimes it is dictated by what's available at the gym. If I am going to a new gym, where everything is going to be new to me, or if our setters have just stripped the entire wall and put up 20 new routes, I am going to have a session that is focused on onsighting as many new problems as I can, instead of doing a VIR on a few.

jt512 wrote:
Which brings up my next point: without rating how do you know whether you're getting better, stagnating, or even getting worse over the short to medium term? Maybe for three months all the problems that feel hard for you are V3 and you're not getting anywhere. I'd like to know that, and I don't see how you could without feedback from a valid rating scale or from better climbers in the gym (which would just be a surrogate for a rating scale, anyway).

Well, ratings are put there by route-setters, right? So how do you know that the routesetter him/herself isn't stagnating or getting worse? How do you know that the reason V3 feels easier to do today than it felt last month isn't due to the fact that the route-setter is in a slump and feeling the effect of gaining 5 pounds over Christmas, so all V3s set by this setter are actually V2+?

I know in the same way a route-setter knows (and I better, LOL, considering that I am one of the route-setters, though not for the bouldering area, but for the ropes). By general feel. By going back to problems that I have climbed before. By "recalibrating" during climbing trips outside. And yes, also by feed-back from experienced climbers at the gym.

MasterOfKungFu

Feb 23, 2011, 4:06 AM
Post #214 of 241 (11766 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shurafa] The V0 Dilema for New Climbers and its Effects on the Rest of Us! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In my opinion, bouldering isn't exactly the easiest thing in the world, and I definitely see people being discouraged if they just try and jump into bouldering on rock. I was pretty athletic before I started climbing, but I started out on toprope, and then began bouldering inside. Recently I find that I can boulder V5 on rock and V7 on plastic after about one year of alot of bouldering.

For the less naturally athletic, I'd for sure tell them to start bouldering in the gym to get good base levels of strength, technique, and flexibility.

I have been on my school climbing team for 3 years and this year we got a good large batch of new climbers. The bouldering only gym had a better group rate than the indoor toprope gym so the team is exclusively bouldering this year.
After about a semester of bouldering, the new climbers have been doing fairly well. Most are up to V2 now, but some of the new female climbers are struggling because they aren't as strong as the male climbers physically, and haven't figured out their technique because they are so new to climbing. I think that they will get better as the year goes on, and once they figure out better technique.

(This post was edited by MasterOfKungFu on Feb 23, 2011, 4:12 AM)

shurafa

Mar 2, 2012, 4:05 AM
Post #215 of 241 (11254 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MasterOfKungFu] The V0 Dilema for New Climbers and its Effects on the Rest of Us! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

MasterOfKungFu wrote:

For the less naturally athletic, I'd for sure tell them to start bouldering in the gym to get good base levels of strength, technique, and flexibility.

This is the crux of the problem. For people that are new climbers and not particularly athletic it is extremely discouraging to go to a bouldering gym and not get off the ground even on a V0.

The problem is not the type of scale its the fact that the vast majority of gyms do not have enough problems for new climbers. This is because most gyms set the easiest of problems at about the equivalent of a 5.9-5.10. (which is the main reason why people top rope first).

90% (admittedly this is an arbitrary number but even if it is 50% it does not change the argument) of the world cannot climb 5.9. This means that 90% of the world is not going to be able to climb a V0. That is a missed opportunity.

Kartessa

Mar 2, 2012, 6:42 AM
Post #216 of 241 (11231 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shurafa] The V0 Dilema for New Climbers and its Effects on the Rest of Us! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

*Yawn*

saint_john

Mar 5, 2012, 3:42 AM
Post #217 of 241 (11114 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shurafa wrote:
Maybe this is best illustrated by example. I am going climbing with my girlfriend and three of her friends on Monday. Two of them have never climbed before and the other one has has come with us once before.

The last time we climbed it was up at Valhalla six weeks ago. Same day I tore my tendon grrr. She decided to boulder as it was cheaper and they did not have to learn how to belay. We looked for the easiest V0 in the gym and they took us over to a slab portion on the left side as soon as you come in. However the route was fairly technical and a little reachy and she was not able to get to the top (nor was another friend we brought with us). We told her to nor worry about the route and use any holds however the V0 holds tend to be the best holds anyways. Someone who is having problems getting to the top of a V0 is not gonna find any help by reaching for a V5 hold, heck most V2 holds are going to be no help. At home I stack holds as tightly as possible which is great for teaching new climbers using the rainbow route method. However for those of you who set routes professionally or at your local gym probably know that most gyms space out their routes so that they are evenly distributed across the gym.

But Hey "climbing is hard" someone mentioned earlier. Maybe climbing is not the sport for her. But wait I have the shiny 5.5 route you can try. Both of them made it to the top and one of them flashed the route. She then tried a 5.6 and flashed it as well. Finally she tried a 5.7 and made it most of the way up using open feet.

Please tell me why she is allowed to top rope but not boulder?

Climbing is a sport with a lot of tradition however the elitist attitude that bouldering has to be hard is false. And is SLOWLY changing given the fact that many gyms use alternate climbing scales. There is not reason for every gym not to have X6 routes that are = to 5.6 top rope routes.

Rachael is going to go again. We told her that the gym we are going to (The Rock Club in New Rochelle) has a few bouldering problems that she should be able to do. Last time I was there there were a number of V0- problems that were designed for new climbers.

To all the people that has posted in this thread. Please tell me why it is ok for new climbers to top rope but not boulder. Why are there not bouldering problems specifically designed and graded for new boulders? Its a double standard.

what's so wrong with toproping for a few weeks or months to build strengh and technique and THEN go get those vOs?
bouldering is supposed to be hard. it isn't supposed to 'ropeless lowball toproping'.

saint_john

Mar 5, 2012, 3:52 AM
Post #218 of 241 (11111 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roquentin] The V0 Dilema for New Climbers and its Effects on the Rest of Us! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

roquentin wrote:
I am one of the people whose ego the OP is trying to protect. A roommate I had 5 years ago worked at a climbing gym and took me there once or twice. I went climbing maybe 5 times since then, until a few weeks ago when I decided to start using the wall at my school.

Only recently did it even occur to me to start following the routes, because I am a noob. I just boulder for now because I don't have a partner and it's plenty fun for now. My background is in skateboarding, so I think it's fun to jump down from the top of routes, anyway.

Someone who works there suggested I try a V0 route. I had no idea about this supposed 5.10 = V0 thing, so I thought she was saying I'm weak and uncoordinated looking. I came back and tried the route and, like, omg, it was pretty hard because I have undeveloped technique and grip strength. I kept falling after the first 3 moves.

A week later, I have the route figured out, I'm slightly stronger, and my technique has improved. I have fun climbing and I'm starting to want my own shoes. What's the big deal, exactly?

I see it like skateboarding and learning to ollie. You're not going to get very far in skateboarding until you learn how to jump, and learning it will involve hours of time and probably some scrapes and bruises. Learning to ollie weeds out a lot of people who might otherwise be interested in skateboarding. I think people who buy longboards just cruise around are ridiculous, and that's probably how you guys feel when people complain that easy climbs are too hard.

+1

ceebo

Mar 5, 2012, 1:03 PM
Post #219 of 241 (11086 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shurafa wrote:
devkrev wrote:
shurafa wrote:
...it still seems ludicrous that what was once considered and impossibly difficult climb is now the basis for the bottom of the rating scale. Imagine if 5.10 was the bottom of the scale for top roping!

This smells like a troll, but anyway....

Didn't the guy who invented the V-Scale want it to be ridiculously hard? Didn't he want V0 to be closer to the current V6?

Language is arbitrary. Talk to your gymsetters about easier problems, who cares about the grades.

dev

Far from a troll just someone who has introduced tons of people to climbing. The ones who dont come back are the ones who who could not get off the ground.

And yes the V scale was designed to be difficult. That is why the V0 is soooo difficult. However this was a short sited move as bouldering has gotten very popular however it is still limited to climbers who can already climb 5.10. This is very limiting and artificial.

Has anyone else tried to introduce a new climber to bouldering only have them get shut down before they get started?

These people need even less than v0's, they need ''scrambles'' no joke. These are people who seem to have had a sport inactave child/adult hood and have little to no strength or coordination. I have came across a few of these people and even on the most easy of climbs (slab with jugs) they struggle very much to grasp the balance and motor skills involved in climbing. Some of those people were also over weight and that only further added to the struggle. The issues i mention lead to a level of climbing that is below any curent sport or boulder scale.

These kind of climbers are rare imo.. at least in uk. Only some 1/100 kids/adults i teach have real lack of motor skills while some also having extra weight to carry.. to the point where even the easiest of climbs is above them.

The typical climber is nothing like the above though. They will handle some or all of the V0's on first day and by the third month be in the v1-v4 range where they will spend the next year or so trying to push into the V5/6 range.

A hand full of other climbers will be at v6+. Those climbers are not as common as the low range climbers.. i would say their is 5 low range climbers to every 1 mid range climber.. and high range climbers are even less again.

In short.. as a gym route setter i will try to keep as many people happy as possible. Say i have space for 100 problems i would be doing something like this

10 problems at v0
60 problems in range of v1-v4
30 problems v5 and over.

Begginers do not stay begginers for long.. you can not set many problems only for first time climbers.

If anything the issue is on you. Did you make good enough effort to put them on an angle they could actually do?.. and add extra holds where you seen fit to give them a chance?. You do not HAVE to stick to a problem... for a persons first climb i know full well they barely understand nor care what a v0-1-2-3 is anyway.

Sorry i did not mean it to sound so hostile. But i find that new climbers do far better when they are introduced to climbing using slab with any holds. This gives them some time to get a grasp on the motor, balance and so fourth.. while allowing them the chance to get to the top and feel like they have not ''failed''. New climbers do not understand that failure is not exclusive to falling.. so it can be importent that they do reach the top from time to time in any way possible.. till the understand differantly.

(This post was edited by ceebo on Mar 5, 2012, 1:16 PM)

shurafa

Mar 5, 2012, 4:37 PM
Post #220 of 241 (11063 views)
Shortcut

Re: [saint_john] The V0 Dilema for New Climbers and its Effects on the Rest of Us! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

what's so wrong with toproping for a few weeks or months to build strengh and technique and THEN go get those vOs?
bouldering is supposed to be hard. it isn't supposed to 'ropeless lowball toproping'.

That is like telling someone who wants to learn how to play tennis that they need to play ping pong for a few weeks so they can develop their grip strength and racket technique. It just does not make any sense at all.

There is no inherent reason to do this. The only reason it is an issue is that bouldering problems are made artificially difficult. On my woody at home I have a slightly inclined section with nice big jugs and extra large foot holds (the big foot holds are key) that is the equivalent of a 5.4. I use this when teaching new climbers that are not very athletic. I have never met someone who is not able to send these climbs (its no harder than climbing an inclined ladder). Unfortunately when I then take them to the gym they often cannot get off the ground and are frustrated by the fact that they have to buy a harness and take a test on belaying.

Partner cracklover

Mar 5, 2012, 5:52 PM
Post #221 of 241 (11046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shurafa wrote:
In reply to:

That is like telling someone who wants to learn how to play tennis that they need to play ping pong for a few weeks so they can develop their grip strength and racket technique. It just does not make any sense at all.

No, it's like telling a kid who wants to play baseball but can't hit a single pitch to try some T-Ball for a while.

In reply to:
There is no inherent reason to do this. The only reason it is an issue is that bouldering problems are made artificially difficult.

Artificially difficult? WTF are you talking about? The problems are intentionally difficult. The whole fucking point of bouldering is to push you to do hard moves.

Sheesh,

GO

saint_john

Mar 5, 2012, 6:01 PM
Post #222 of 241 (11042 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shurafa wrote:
In reply to:

There is no inherent reason to do this. The only reason it is an issue is that bouldering problems are made artificially difficult. On my woody at home I have a slightly inclined section with nice big jugs and extra large foot holds (the big foot holds are key) that is the equivalent of a 5.4. I use this when teaching new climbers that are not very athletic. I have never met someone who is not able to send these climbs (its no harder than climbing an inclined ladder). Unfortunately when I then take them to the gym they often cannot get off the ground and are frustrated by the fact that they have to buy a harness and take a test on belaying.

Most first time climbers (let's call them 'n00bs') don't go to rock climbing gyms to boulder, they go to toprope. Gyms make a big chunk of their revenue from n00bs so they must cater to them. That's why gyms have 5.4 jughauls
The majority of the population has no idea what "bouldering" even is.

n00bs go to climbing gyms so they can pull on a harness, get halfway up a route and have some pics taken so they can post them on Facebook.

I imagine that if at some point in the future there was enough "first timer" intetest in bouldering that gyms would set problems accordingly. Until then, gyms must do what ever make the most money for them.

saint_john

Mar 5, 2012, 6:04 PM
Post #223 of 241 (11041 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] The V0 Dilema for New Climbers and its Effects on the Rest of Us! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
shurafa wrote:
In reply to:

No, it's like telling a kid who wants to play baseball but can't hit a single pitch to try some T-Ball for a while.

In reply to:
There is no inherent reason to do this. The only reason it is an issue is that bouldering problems are made artificially difficult.

Artificially difficult? WTF are you talking about? The problems are intentionally difficult. The whole fucking point of bouldering is to push you to do hard moves.

Sheesh,

GO

Yep.

Kartessa

Mar 9, 2012, 1:58 PM
Post #224 of 241 (10893 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Dude, when you're done your crusade to dumb bouldering down for the masses, would you mind making basketball nets shorter? Goal post wider apart? Baseballs, bats and mitts bigger (and shorten that space between bases, I suck at running)?

Speaking of running, I've always wanted to run a marathon but they make them so artificially long. They should make easier marathons, like 300m, for those of us who wouldnt even make it around the first corner.

olderic

Mar 9, 2012, 2:47 PM
Post #225 of 241 (10277 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] The V0 Dilema for New Climbers and its Effects on the Rest of Us! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:

Speaking of running, I've always wanted to run a marathon but they make them so artificially long. They should make easier marathons, like 300m, for those of us who wouldnt even make it around the first corner.

Or at least make them downhill all the way. Come to Boston.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook