RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

getsomefood

Jun 14, 2012, 11:52 AM
Post #1 of 9 (5482 views)
Shortcut

unsure finger pain
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm climbing once/twice a week for about 6 months, and I never felt any kind of finger pain.
yesterday I really pushed my finger tendons, and today unsurprisingly I feel this acute pain on my my left index finger and on my right pinky finger.
my question is: is this pain good healthy tendons getting stronger, or is this bad injury pain - don't climb for the next two weeks :/

Thank You

P.S. First post :D

Partner cracklover

Jun 14, 2012, 3:27 PM
Post #2 of 9 (5455 views)
Shortcut

Re: [getsomefood] unsure finger pain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

getsomefood wrote:
I'm climbing once/twice a week for about 6 months, and I never felt any kind of finger pain.
yesterday I really pushed my finger tendons, and today unsurprisingly I feel this acute pain on my my left index finger and on my right pinky finger.
my question is: is this pain good healthy tendons getting stronger, or is this bad injury pain - don't climb for the next two weeks :/

Thank You

I think you know the answer to your own question. See how it feels after your time out. If it's better, then ok. If not, see a doc.

And try not to do that to yourself again.

GO

SylviaSmile

Jun 14, 2012, 7:35 PM
Post #3 of 9 (5432 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

getsomefood wrote:

Thank You

Best rehab for fingers is to type a lot of posts on RC.com! Cool

getsomefood

Jun 15, 2012, 12:41 AM
Post #4 of 9 (5409 views)
Shortcut

Re: [SylviaSmile] unsure finger pain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

but is there sutch a thing as "good" tendon pain? as there is good muscle pain?

a little more info about my pain, I would appreciate any incites.
I can barely feel it, I feel it only when massaging it or while pressing a stress ball.
what should I do?
keep massaging it, ice water to hot water, stop climbing for a week or two :/..
or just do nothing...

thx again for your help guys.. great forums!

theextremist04

Jun 16, 2012, 3:38 PM
Post #5 of 9 (5364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

getsomefood wrote:
Nope, not really.
getsomefood wrote:
I can barely feel it, I feel it only when massaging it or while pressing a stress ball.
what should I do?
or just do nothing...

Take a couple weeks off (minimum, a month would be better,) ice, NSAIDs.

TScott27

Aug 16, 2012, 7:54 AM
Post #6 of 9 (4948 views)
Shortcut

Re: [theextremist04] unsure finger pain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I believe that pain is our body's way telling us to stop and smell the flowers. So if there's still pain, better stop indulging in activities that could worsen it until the pain subsides, or better yet, until you've seen a doctor and have made the right diagnosis on your finger's condition.

dynosnore

Sep 13, 2012, 11:37 PM
Post #7 of 9 (4745 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Any time you have acute pain it's never a good idea to keep going. Listen to these guys and take a few weeks off.

granite_grrl

Sep 14, 2012, 12:13 PM
Post #8 of 9 (4720 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

getsomefood wrote:

what should I do?
or just do nothing...

I don't believe there is such a thing as "good" tendon pain. Sometimes I'll get on a route that feels "tweaky". Often these routes are in a gym and after one attempt I won't look at the route again. If it's outside and the line inspires me I limit my time on them.

Keep with the massaging, if you did do some damage this will help prevent scar tissue from building up that could contribute to "trigger finger" down the road. If you feel pain while massaging my guess is that you did do some dammage and you should give it some rest for a couple of weeks.

Icing and anti-inflamitories will help bring down inflamation, but it doesn't sound like you real have any. Things that I have found certainly help (and are good for overall health regardless): make sure you stay hydrated and get plenty of rest.

onceahardman

Sep 14, 2012, 10:51 PM
Post #9 of 9 (4677 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] unsure finger pain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
getsomefood wrote:

what should I do?
or just do nothing...

I don't believe there is such a thing as "good" tendon pain. Sometimes I'll get on a route that feels "tweaky". Often these routes are in a gym and after one attempt I won't look at the route again. If it's outside and the line inspires me I limit my time on them.

Keep with the massaging, if you did do some damage this will help prevent scar tissue from building up that could contribute to "trigger finger" down the road. If you feel pain while massaging my guess is that you did do some dammage and you should give it some rest for a couple of weeks.

Icing and anti-inflamitories will help bring down inflamation, but it doesn't sound like you real have any. Things that I have found certainly help (and are good for overall health regardless): make sure you stay hydrated and get plenty of rest.

I agree with no tendon pain being "good" pain.

I'd agree with the "keep up the massage", but I'd state it quite a bit differently....

-TRY massaging it, but do it this way: sit at rest, and decide how much pain you are in. Massage for a minute or so. Sit in the original resting position and decide: does your finger now feel better? worse? exactly the same? Take note as to whether the massage hurts, but it is more important to find out whether it makes things better or worse, as a direct result of the massage.

I'd have you doing lots of AROM. Open and close your hand, without resistance, a few hundred times a day. Sets of 10-30 reps, spread throughout the day. This will assist in the flow of synovial fluid within the finger joints, and provide nutrition to tendons and other associated poorly vascularized structures.

Keep it moving, but rest from climbing until the pain is GONE. Don't keep testing it every day. Let it heal.

(This post was edited by onceahardman on Sep 14, 2012, 10:52 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook