RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

noc_j

Dec 14, 2001, 12:05 AM
Post #1 of 18 (4010 views)
Shortcut

how do you work out ?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

HI
Just started rock climbing wanting to know what you guys/gals do for a work out? Or if you know any good ways to get your Fingers/feet(toes) stronger?

JDJ noc_J/Josiah

colin

Dec 14, 2001, 12:52 AM
Post #2 of 18 (4010 views)
Shortcut

how do you work out ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Runnings 20+ miles a week. Tons of pushups and pullups. Some abwork. Swimming. And the occasional lifting.

Of course the best way to get stronger for climbing is climbing itself.

awkward

Dec 14, 2001, 3:28 PM
Post #3 of 18 (4010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Get the book Flash Training by Eric Horst. I haven't actually read it yet, but the reviews look good.

-Bryan

ktclimb

Dec 14, 2001, 3:38 PM
Post #4 of 18 (4010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

also, now that winter is coming, it is a good time to hit the gym. I do the gym around once a week, and it helps a lot just keeping my forearm strength up. Nothing like climbing to get better at climbing

rockwomyn

Jan 9, 2002, 7:59 PM
Post #5 of 18 (4010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well i live in erie, pa so the only thing to do in the winter is go to the gym. i try to go 4-5 times a week and do about 20-30 min of cardio (running, biking, elliptical trainer) every day and a split routine with free weights (M-T-W)legs, biceps, back, shoulders/(T-TH)abs,triceps, chest, forearms or vice versa. You should try to do both activities if possible, cardio will help with your endurance and weight training will give you strength. and if you have somewhere to build a wall that's great to keep your hands and feet in the game too as far as technique. Whatever you do don't work the same muscle groups with weights consecutive days, give yourself at least a day off in between in order to allow you muscles to repair from training ang get even stronger!

[ This Message was edited by: rockwomyn on 2002-01-09 12:10 ]

[ This Message was edited by: rockwomyn on 2002-01-09 12:12 ]

hendicrimpin

Jan 9, 2002, 8:46 PM
Post #6 of 18 (4010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i simply drink heavily, smoke, and when i'm really motivated i do both at the same time while holding on to my hangboard.......just kidding! i so a couple hundred pushups 4 times a week, a mix of different ab exercises, watch tv while on my hangboard, and climb as much as possible. it seems to work well.

ratstar

Jan 10, 2002, 4:00 PM
Post #7 of 18 (4010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am going to have to say hangboard and a healthy diet of micky dee's. I eat tons of double cheeseburgers. I think it just depends on what you do. If you play other sports chances are you are already in shape. If not get there by climbing and lifting.

Partner missedyno

Jan 10, 2002, 4:15 PM
Post #8 of 18 (4010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lift the beer, take a drink, put it down.
lift the beer, take a drink, put it down.

reno

Jan 10, 2002, 6:34 PM
Post #9 of 18 (4010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Besides the obvious (climbing outdoors or at the gym,) I do sit-ups or push-ups during commercial breaks of television shows. That way I can lay on the couch, watch the ball game, and get in a workout.

Time management is the thing.

Pull ups are a good idea I suppose, but I hate 'em.

Best,

JRB

pwsk

Jan 24, 2002, 11:57 AM
Post #10 of 18 (4010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As was said : the best training for climbing is to go out there and climb. Personally I do plenty of push-ups and pull-ups with added weights. I try and visit the gym at least 3 times per week...you should just remember that as climbers we don't want too much extra body weight, so working out in the gym should be in order to build strength and flexibility and NOT muscle mass...Otherwise bouldering is a great way of improving endurance and technique. For the rest of the week just go and climb...because why? Because it's FUN...

caty_ksa

Jan 24, 2002, 12:47 PM
Post #11 of 18 (4010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i live in a place where there is no decent rock and no gyms, the closest rock is on the other side of the country (about 2,000miles away). i try to get out there on some weekends and longer breaks but what can i do to stay in climbing shape,
i have a climbing wall, hangboards and all that fun stuff...

[ This Message was edited by: caty_ksa on 2002-01-24 04:50 ]

davyk46

Jan 24, 2002, 2:30 PM
Post #12 of 18 (4010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I really found out that lifting the upper body everyday of the week really helps me climb on sat. and sunday. I just started to lift again last week and i could tell a difference in the way that i could pull off some of the moves that i had difficulty pulling off before. i really incurage to lift and the best exercise for climbing is actually getting out there on the rock and going at it until you can't hold yourself up.

Partner phylp

Jan 25, 2002, 1:29 AM
Post #13 of 18 (4010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Noc-j and katy-ksa, see my reply to the post on "bad footwork". Buildering is a great way to train. Besides the vertical aspect of buildering, another thing we used to do to train for steep was to climb on the upside down side of open stairways. You know, the kind that have steps but no risers. You can do laps up and down and it's agreat whole body workout. Best with a spotter in case you melt off from up high!

passthepitonspete

Jan 25, 2002, 1:50 AM
Post #14 of 18 (4010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm with Jessica!

I mean, I'm really with her.

Honey, honey! Pour me another! And get back under the covers! I'm getting cold!

jt512

Jan 25, 2002, 2:12 AM
Post #15 of 18 (4010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote:Just started rock climbing wanting to know what you guys/gals do for a work out? Or if you know any good ways to get your Fingers/feet(toes) stronger?

Until you've been climbing hard for at least a couple of years, your best training for climbing will be climbing. You will make the fastest gains in your climbing ability if you can climb indoors or out 3 to 4 days a week. If you can climb this frequently, then do not do any weight training, other than training your non-climbing muscles to avoid muscle imbalances (read Flash Training by Horst for an explanation). Instead, use your non-climbing days to rest to allow your climbing muscles to recover or do some light aerobic training.

If you cannot climb at least three days a week, then some weight training might help you build climbing strength. A standard weight training regime with additional focus on pull-up type exercises should be helpful. Do not do any leg work because building leg muscle is counterproductive to climbing. Leg strength is rarely limiting in climbing and the body weight associated with additional leg muscle will actually harm your climbing.

For finger strength, the same applies. If you can climb 3 to four days a week, you'll build all the finger strength you need. If you can't climb that often, then you can supplement your clmbing with static hangs on a hangboard or barbell finger rolls in a gym. Do not do the "heavy" finger rolls recommended by Horst without gradually building up using lighter weights for at least several weeks.

No matter how you train/climb, the Prime Directive is the same: Never Weight Your Fingers More Than Four Days a Week. To do so will get you injured faster than you can say "medial epicondylitis."

-Jay

[ This Message was edited by: jt512 on 2002-01-24 18:14 ]

purdz

Feb 9, 2002, 9:25 PM
Post #16 of 18 (4010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the only was that I can see getting stronger at climbing is climbing itself. This isn't just because climbing will work directly on the areas that need work, but it also keeps me mentally happy. I tried doing the pull ups and jogging but the truth was that I was only doing those exercises so that I could go climb, and in turn I only got to climb less so that my body could recover from the other forms of exercise. It was flat out dumb. So I would say that if you want to get make yourself a stronger climber go climb, it keeps the body and the mind happy!

climbingjewels

Feb 9, 2002, 9:32 PM
Post #17 of 18 (4010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Working out your lats is very good for climbing. (Lats are your upper sides.)

daggerx

Feb 11, 2002, 2:44 AM
Post #18 of 18 (4010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I do weight traing 4 to 5 times a week and 100 sit ups a day and mtn bike, kayak and climb alot. and on the weekend I am know to do alot of 12 oz curls and every now and then I do a few 40oz curls.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook