Forums: Climbing Information: Technique & Training:
How can I stay in shape when not able to climb?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

jcs

Jan 14, 2002, 9:44 AM
Post #1 of 9 (3007 views)
Shortcut

How can I stay in shape when not able to climb?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

good question. there are lots of things that you can do. i'd say that getting a finger board and finding a good workout schedule to use with it is the best thing you can do for your climbing- finger strength is really important. pull ups (especially "frenchies") will help a little- push ups to minimize the chances of injury (strong opposing muscle groups are important). not sure what your body fat percentage is, but some form of regular cardio, like running or a rowing machine will keep off unwanted bulk (both fat and redundant muscle). Also, not sure how flexible you are, but stretch religiously- this has made a big difference in my climbing, and will also minimize the chance of injury when you are climbing. all that said, the best way to train for climbing is to climb- i assume that there is no gym around your college, so try and find anything that you can practice climbing on- is there a traverse on your walls at home, or is there any "buildering" that you can do around campus? if you let us knw where you go to school someone here on rc.com may know of something in your area. ask around campus too- there may be someone there that has their own little wall or knows of a secret boulder somewhere. good luck- hope this helps!

[ This Message was edited by: jcs on 2002-01-14 01:48 ]

ratstar

Jan 14, 2002, 2:55 PM
Post #2 of 9 (3007 views)
Shortcut

How can I stay in shape when not able to climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Get a hangboard. I just got another one and I still use my old one.

jcs

Jan 15, 2002, 5:55 AM
Post #3 of 9 (3007 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yep- same thing!

jcs

Jan 18, 2002, 10:31 AM
Post #4 of 9 (3007 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey!
Haven't checked this thread in while! You doing any training yet vortex? I was curious about your post beerandblood- what weights do you do exactly? I have been going to a gym for cardio (stationary bike), and was wondering if weights would help. It has been my impression that climbing itself is the best. Do you use weights with climbing, or just when you cant climb?

passthepitonspete

Jan 18, 2002, 12:53 PM
Post #5 of 9 (3007 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank goodness I have retired from free climbing and no longer have to put up with the inconvenience of training.

I have been specializing in "Off the Couch" Ascents for the last four or five years.

Cheers,

Dr. Pee'd On

[Sorry! Not much help, eh? You can click HERE and scroll down 3/4 page to the BLUE block of text in order to see how I manage this apparent dichotomy. Look for the BIG BLACK LETTERS.]

climbingmusician

Jan 18, 2002, 3:45 PM
Post #6 of 9 (3007 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I really only have a question that goes with the subject. I have the same problem I am in college and don't get much chane to go climbing or keep in shape for climbing. I know pull ups were suggested and simular things like it but i have no way of getting a fingerboard or anything like it so what are some other things that a small school gym might have to help me?

arete2

Jan 18, 2002, 9:26 PM
Post #7 of 9 (3007 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing musician, you can still do pull ups on a bar, I do, just use less fingers, you also might have a wrist roller, it is a short bar with a string(or something like it) that you put weight on and roll it up and un roll it, also you can do reverse wrist curls with a 10 or 15 pound weight, 30 times gives a wicked burn.

rippdclimber

Jan 20, 2002, 7:07 PM
Post #8 of 9 (3007 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

vortex,
I go to manheim township high school just north of you. There are two gym in reading both are about a half hour from me and a little further for you. Cliffhangers is the better of the two gyms, but there is also reading rocks. If you are interested in going up that way I climb every friday and you'd be welcome to tag along.
Alfred Kwok, a former F&M physics professor actually got me into this crazy sport.
So let me know if you're interested.

Josh

codey

Jan 20, 2002, 11:18 PM
Post #9 of 9 (3007 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can climb a 5.13 and am 13 years old. I am going to attempt to go to a 5.14.I dont go climbing offten. How can I build up to this. CF

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook